-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had to come up with a chatter killer, so I used one of my 2/6/12 blocks to anchor to......worked like magic.[Linked Image]

I fixed remington's roll mark.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you just push that block up against the back of the workpiece/barrel? What are you holding the barrel with, an indexing head and some sort of tailstock? More pics please.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a 2/4/12 block and it is clamped to the bed. I clamp the barrel to it on the far side when climb milling, once the cutter passes the center, I add a clamp to the back side and remove the one on the front....no chatter this way.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The indexing head is clearly visible in the LH side of the pic already posted.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Correct. Rotary indexer.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HC,...

Might I ask the basic specs on that cutter ?

I have a barrel here that needs that same ride.

Thanks,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is a 6" x 3/16" HSS with a 1" hole sitting in a cheap Arbor. I bought it as a regrind on Ebby, it started life as a nice American built tool and seems to continue on just fine. I can get a tooth count later.

if a guy had a 2-4" cutter, it would be easier to get close to the ends, but the 6" never even gets warm......and I'm in the thing less than 50 bucks.

the barrel MUST be anchored to something to kill the chatter...but it doesnt take much effort to work it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there a radius on the cutting edge, or straight toothed? If it's a regrind, I suspect that the radius was introduce at that point.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a radius. When the chatter is controlled, it looks like a ground cut.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The nice thing about the larger dia. cutters is the 'sweep' they leave at the end of the cut. Small dia. cutters leave much more abrupt end to the cut. I guess it's a matter of taste.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
It's a 2/4/12 block and it is clamped to the bed. I clamp the barrel to it on the far side when climb milling, once the cutter passes the center, I add a clamp to the back side and remove the one on the front....no chatter this way.

Are you using an adjustable tail-stock on the far end?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by high_country_

Are you using an adjustable tail-stock on the far end?

Yes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.