Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of his books have been recommended. Any opinion of his work.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He's a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic azzhole. He lived next door to one of my best friends for many years and impressed me with his self-righteous liberal attitudes.

Other than that, he's a mediocre writer.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tell us how you really feel Ed! smile

That's ok. IMHO Chris Batten falls into that same category. His brother was a GI when I was stationed at Eielson and became a PIA while bear hunting one year. I gots stories. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don't care for Batten's writing either.

After growing up (?) with Patrick McManus, Doogan comes across as a poor excuse for an outdoor humor writer.

Other than that, he's useless.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nailed two of my least favorites...

Batten is lucky to be breathing based on some crap he pulled on a friend's young daughter once. He is a total POS.

Doogan is as liberal as they come from a town noted for anything but... how he attracted a following is a real headscratcher to me, but I hold his positions against him which flavors his writing to me.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I will say I think Tony Russ put together a pretty good sheep hunting book. It's been a good number of years and not sure what became of him.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
here we go...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
IB, did I open a can of worms? Guess I don't understand what you meant...

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doogan is a bedwetter!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5
IB, did I open a can of worms? Guess I don't understand what you meant...

Tony Russ got lucky one time and killed the P&Y world record sheep with a bow... he has a long history of being "special" as a guide. Clients having issues getting him out of the tent in the morning, etc...

Then there was the infamous Randy Ulmer incident which he wrote about in one of the bowhunting magazines. TR abandoned him when he was hunting a valley TR said was impossible, though everyone told him that was where the sheep were. Tony claims he took a vacation from guiding to write... his license information says he is not currently licensed... 2+2...

TR's books are even worse! He suggests spreading hamburger on waxed paper and letting it dry as his jerky recipe... mausers should be avoided as bear guns because they tend to jam, and plenty of other jewells.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
naw. It's all good.

Kind of an inside joke.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks Art & Mike. I've only read TR's one book on sheep hunting (been over 10 years now so going off a very dim memory) and though it was pretty good.

I hate to hear news like that, but it seems the world is full of self-fulfilling prophecies. smile

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sometimes with writers I end up reading for the content not so much the information if that makes sense.

I also read the book on sheep and thought along the lines, wasn't a bad read just as a general book but some of the specifics of what was used/how to etc.... just went in one ear and out the other so to speak.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doogan's a leftist jack-ass and that's being kind. I can't stand him or his fahq N kid.

I know some old troopers that have no problem letting it out that Batten is an abusive, violent a$$hole too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have told the story here before, but the abridged edition is Batten was caught on video by a friend of mine cutting my friend's young daughter's line when she hooked a king salmon.

POS is too kind...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Ready; 02/16/16. Reason: spelling

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The first is the guy we were talking about... in the second link I believe he is talking about the same guy, but misspelled his name.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In either case I got a chuckle out of the first link and how CB is such an amazing speaker that he packs the bleachers at the Great Alaska Sportsmans Show...

Hardly!

wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man! I got some response on my thread.
Who do you recommend as an Alaskan writer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are lots of good ones, especially the ones with some age. What sorts of stuff are you most interested in?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.