Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Jeff,
The 2 that I ordered were Alaska's 1st Bush Pilots and Wind on the Water.

Dang, think I have both. LOL. Wind is new here, but I'm sure I have the bush pilots one from years ago.

LOL.

PS I have Reardens short stories book here too, let me know when/if you want to read it.

Need to make time to run up to Nez to let him guide me through threading a barrel for a can...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WDH
One could argue most guys wouldn't be out in that storm.

*Makes one wonder if that was intentional or an error in judgement.

*disclaimer: Not familiar with Mr Russ or the ram story.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
exactly what came to my mind too... on purpose or by accident..

if on purpose was it smart?

Regardless he got a big one, and I didn't mind reading about, but can toss a lot of the other advice as I have other ways of doing things....

Sometimes the writing style too, you choke through it to get the story, the one seal that came back was that way for me, I could not STAND the writing, but the story was worth it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
exactly what came to my mind too... on purpose or by accident..

if on purpose was it smart?

Regardless he got a big one, and I didn't mind reading about, but can toss a lot of the other advice as I have other ways of doing things....

Sometimes the writing style too, you choke through it to get the story, the one seal that came back was that way for me, I could not STAND the writing, but the story was worth it.

I agree he was out in it and got to kill a huge ram because of it... and he guided a few guys to rams...

I also agree the writing is a struggle to read...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I'll let TR's rep among those that know him, hunted with him, and dealt with his clients after the fact speak for itself.

I have no desire to compete with anyone over scores ever again. My success is good enough for me and would be for all but the tiniest fraction of trophy hunters.

Like I thought. Nothing to back up the smack with. Must just be jealous smile

I agree with the above, his writing style is terrible. Good book to start to read if one wants to fall asleep...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any time you want me to buy you a beer and let you put your hands on amazing critters let me know...

Betting your mind would pull a 180...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you offering to take him to the Millenium? (or whatever its called this week)

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Any time you want me to buy you a beer and let you put your hands on amazing critters let me know...

Does that line usually work for you?
Sounds like a date. wink

Last edited by ironbender; 02/19/16.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK. Experienced Alaska book readers don't laugh. My FIL is 80 and is clearing stuff out. Never hunted, etc., but he's always belonged to a campground to get away on weekends. During those getaways he'd read books, usually purchased at yard sales. I like nonfiction and grabbed from his table, Going to Extremes, by Joe McGuinniss.

The first half of the book was pretty good and I was laughing out loud at times. The second half I started plowing through on a plane yesterday and haven't finished the book yet. He jumps around a bit. Sometimes I find myself looking for a missing page, making me wonder if he didn't drink his way through some of the boredom in Alaska in the 70s, while writing this book.

If nothing else, it has wet my appetite for more nonfiction books on Alaska. So I'll be following this thread for sure. Keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited by Joseywales; 02/19/16.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Off the beaten path a bit, but "We live in Alaska" is interesting. http://www.amazon.com/We-live-Alaska-Constance-Helmericks/dp/B0007IWQD4

Rearden's book on Slim Moore is on my list. Peeked through it while stuck in a tent, but haven't read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Moore-Al...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1455934001&sr=1-3

I have TR's sheep book, because he was was giving them away at a gun show... tried to read it and failed. To be fair, I think that sort of a book is tough to make interesting and useful. I can't stand most books of that flavor. But that one is... really something.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Jim Rearden's book on Slim Moore and several others, one of my favorites is "Alaska , 50 years of Hunting Adventure", it has some great stories. Rearden was good friends with Jim Brooks, who has at least one of his own books "North to Wolf Country". I enjoy reading these over and over.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

If I want to look at a bunch of 3/4 curl sheep I'll go take a walk through the talkeetnas or kenais. Thanks for the offer though, I enjoyed the last time we had a beer and also those flies you gave me on the kenai a few years back. I believe you also gave me some flies outside cabelas one day too. Your hospitality is 2nd to none!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You got me on the sheep... I do have a ton of dink sheep.

Deer, caribou, no shame... bears, not so much...

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender

Does that line usually work for you?
Sounds like a date. wink

Just remember, if he offers to show you some "pretty wood", run! (out the window if necessary)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
shocked

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
2 books that I found very interesting, and educational, "The Wilderness of Denali" and "Wilderness of the upper Yukon" by Charles A. Sheldon. Both books were originally published prior to the first war. IMO, a must read, for any individual interested in Alaskan History.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man, you guys are good! I'm making my list and checking it twice.
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's another good one, TrailBreakers: Pioneering Alaska's Iditarod, Vol. 1 by Rod Perry. It's very thorough look at the economic forces as well as the geography that created the Iditarod trail. Also the author ran the first Iditarod sled dog race.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
He's a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic azzhole. He lived next door to one of my best friends for many years and impressed me with his self-righteous liberal attitudes.

Ed

And those are his good attributes. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
He's a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic azzhole. He impressed me with his self-righteous liberal attitudes.

Other than that, he's a mediocre writer.

Ed

Nailed it!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
261 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.