Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of his books have been recommended. Any opinion of his work.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He's a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic azzhole. He lived next door to one of my best friends for many years and impressed me with his self-righteous liberal attitudes.

Other than that, he's a mediocre writer.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tell us how you really feel Ed! smile

That's ok. IMHO Chris Batten falls into that same category. His brother was a GI when I was stationed at Eielson and became a PIA while bear hunting one year. I gots stories. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don't care for Batten's writing either.

After growing up (?) with Patrick McManus, Doogan comes across as a poor excuse for an outdoor humor writer.

Other than that, he's useless.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nailed two of my least favorites...

Batten is lucky to be breathing based on some crap he pulled on a friend's young daughter once. He is a total POS.

Doogan is as liberal as they come from a town noted for anything but... how he attracted a following is a real headscratcher to me, but I hold his positions against him which flavors his writing to me.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I will say I think Tony Russ put together a pretty good sheep hunting book. It's been a good number of years and not sure what became of him.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
here we go...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
IB, did I open a can of worms? Guess I don't understand what you meant...

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doogan is a bedwetter!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Tony Russ got lucky one time and killed the P&Y world record sheep with a bow... he has a long history of being "special" as a guide. Clients having issues getting him out of the tent in the morning, etc...

Then there was the infamous Randy Ulmer incident which he wrote about in one of the bowhunting magazines. TR abandoned him when he was hunting a valley TR said was impossible, though everyone told him that was where the sheep were. Tony claims he took a vacation from guiding to write... his license information says he is not currently licensed... 2+2...

TR's books are even worse! He suggests spreading hamburger on waxed paper and letting it dry as his jerky recipe... mausers should be avoided as bear guns because they tend to jam, and plenty of other jewells.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
naw. It's all good.

Kind of an inside joke.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks Art & Mike. I've only read TR's one book on sheep hunting (been over 10 years now so going off a very dim memory) and though it was pretty good.

I hate to hear news like that, but it seems the world is full of self-fulfilling prophecies. smile

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sometimes with writers I end up reading for the content not so much the information if that makes sense.

I also read the book on sheep and thought along the lines, wasn't a bad read just as a general book but some of the specifics of what was used/how to etc.... just went in one ear and out the other so to speak.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doogan's a leftist jack-ass and that's being kind. I can't stand him or his fahq N kid.

I know some old troopers that have no problem letting it out that Batten is an abusive, violent a$$hole too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have told the story here before, but the abridged edition is Batten was caught on video by a friend of mine cutting my friend's young daughter's line when she hooked a king salmon.

POS is too kind...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Ready; 02/16/16. Reason: spelling

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The first is the guy we were talking about... in the second link I believe he is talking about the same guy, but misspelled his name.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In either case I got a chuckle out of the first link and how CB is such an amazing speaker that he packs the bleachers at the Great Alaska Sportsmans Show...

Hardly!

wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man! I got some response on my thread.
Who do you recommend as an Alaskan writer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are lots of good ones, especially the ones with some age. What sorts of stuff are you most interested in?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Butch,

Not a book, but if you can find a copy of a video called, "This is my Alaska," I think you would enjoy it.

http://www.thisismyalaska.com/Pricing.asp

I'll do some digging when I get home for books.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks Bob,
I called and left a message. Evidently he doesn't do email

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim Rearden is outstanding in almost every case...

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=jim%20rearden%20books

especially his two wolf books... and Shadows on the Koyukuk.

Just picked this one up and have heard lots of good things about it... have not read it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Gold-Adventure-Discovering-Northwest/product-reviews/0988977249

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rearden is excellent reading. I've also enjoyed the book Two in the Far North by Margaret Murray. Her, her husband and BIL made significant scientific contributions to Arctic research in the early 20th century. Margaret's book was a great glimpse into early life up north. From taking the steamer out of Seattle to her horse drawn sleigh memories it covered a lot of how difficult but rewarding life in the north is.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Man! I got some response on my thread.
Who do you recommend as an Alaskan writer.

You seem to be getting plenty to read right here!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was referring to the first guy. I misspelled his last name.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim Rearden has some good books.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Got a couple Rearden's coming to start.
Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We are reading some Reardens right now. Very good reading so far.

Need to look for his wolf books next I suppose...

Butch PM me for what I have here vs what you have coming, I can send you ours when we are both done....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jeff,
The 2 that I ordered were Alaska's 1st Bush Pilots and Wind on the Water.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/17/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just got in touch with Ms. Vivian Shebal to order their DVD. They are outside for the winter in Pennsylvania.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
"Alaska's Wolf Man" is superb, and not to be missed.
http://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-Man-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1575100479

Between 1915 and 1955 adventure-seeking Frank Glaser, a latter-day Far North Mountain Man, trekked across wilderness Alaska on foot, by wolf-dog team, and eventually, by airplane. In his career he was a market hunter, trapper, roadhouse owner, professional dog team musher, and federal predator agent. A naturalist at heart, he learned from personal observation the life secrets of moose, caribou, foxes, wolverines, mountain sheep, grizzly bears, and wolves-especially wolves.

A crack shot, self-sufficient, and wilderness wise, Glaser not only survived, but prospered in the far lonely places. Almost always alone, he survived many encounters with charging grizzly bears, some of which he had to shoot to keep from being mauled. He knew how to cope with 50 and 60 below zero temperatures, and more than once he plunged through river ice in extreme cold and survived only because of his woods know-how.

Frank Glaser was a legend in his own time, respected and admired for his skill as a woodsman and hunter by fellow sourdoughs, and by his many Eskimo friends.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Just got done with that one. Definitely among the best of the best Alaska redneck required reading books.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
"Alaska's Wolf Man" is superb, and not to be missed.
http://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-Man-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1575100479

Between 1915 and 1955 adventure-seeking Frank Glaser, a latter-day Far North Mountain Man, trekked across wilderness Alaska on foot, by wolf-dog team, and eventually, by airplane. In his career he was a market hunter, trapper, roadhouse owner, professional dog team musher, and federal predator agent. A naturalist at heart, he learned from personal observation the life secrets of moose, caribou, foxes, wolverines, mountain sheep, grizzly bears, and wolves-especially wolves.

A crack shot, self-sufficient, and wilderness wise, Glaser not only survived, but prospered in the far lonely places. Almost always alone, he survived many encounters with charging grizzly bears, some of which he had to shoot to keep from being mauled. He knew how to cope with 50 and 60 below zero temperatures, and more than once he plunged through river ice in extreme cold and survived only because of his woods know-how.

Frank Glaser was a legend in his own time, respected and admired for his skill as a woodsman and hunter by fellow sourdoughs, and by his many Eskimo friends.

I have that one.

Great read, amazing guy.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dick Proenekkes video and book, One Mans Wilderness are also very good, I watch his video anytime PBS broadcasts it.

The Quest for Dall Sheep by Jack Wilson is also another good one.

Oh yeah, Doogan and Russ are douchebags of the highest order.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Tony Russ got lucky one time and killed the P&Y world record sheep with a bow... he has a long history of being "special" as a guide. Clients having issues getting him out of the tent in the morning, etc...

Then there was the infamous Randy Ulmer incident which he wrote about in one of the bowhunting magazines. TR abandoned him when he was hunting a valley TR said was impossible, though everyone told him that was where the sheep were. Tony claims he took a vacation from guiding to write... his license information says he is not currently licensed... 2+2...

TR's books are even worse! He suggests spreading hamburger on waxed paper and letting it dry as his jerky recipe... mausers should be avoided as bear guns because they tend to jam, and plenty of other jewells.

Got lucky one time with a bow? He's killed a few sheep with a bow. He must know a thing or two...

I would love to bag on TR too, but gotta give the guy credit for what he's done....

Last edited by WDH; 02/17/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had killing a "few sheep" with a bow been enough to compare to the P&Y WR I would give it to you...

Getting in bow range with a compound bow is not that difficult, and was far easier even 20 years ago. I believe TR killed his big sheep before '90. The current population is probably 1/4 to 1/3 what it was then...

He was not hunting that specific sheep, but rather stumbled into him on the way out in a snowstorm. That chance encounter "made" him. It certainly was not his writing nor work ethic.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lynn Schooler is a great author too. His books Blue Bear, Walking Home and the Last Shot are quite worth the read.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Had killing a "few sheep" with a bow been enough to compare to the P&Y WR I would give it to you...

Getting in bow range with a compound bow is not that difficult, and was far easier even 20 years ago. I believe TR killed his big sheep before '90. The current population is probably 1/4 to 1/3 what it was then...

He was not hunting that specific sheep, but rather stumbled into him on the way out in a snowstorm. That chance encounter "made" him. It certainly was not his writing nor work ethic.

One could argue most guys wouldn't be out in that storm. Kinda goes against the soft imagine you're trying to paint of the guy. But I believe you. So feel free to post up your big sheep pics with a bow. Since it was so easy and you hunted the glory days let's see all those big full curls. One can assume since it was so easy back then and rifle in hand you must have an impressive collection of monster rams. Post them. No excuses!

You can live and hunt in the glory days but still finding big mature animals isn't easy. And record book ones are still rare. That's what makes them special.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll let TR's rep among those that know him, hunted with him, and dealt with his clients after the fact speak for itself.

I have no desire to compete with anyone over scores ever again. My success is good enough for me and would be for all but the tiniest fraction of trophy hunters.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jeff,
The 2 that I ordered were Alaska's 1st Bush Pilots and Wind on the Water.

Dang, think I have both. LOL. Wind is new here, but I'm sure I have the bush pilots one from years ago.

LOL.

PS I have Reardens short stories book here too, let me know when/if you want to read it.

Need to make time to run up to Nez to let him guide me through threading a barrel for a can...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WDH
One could argue most guys wouldn't be out in that storm.

*Makes one wonder if that was intentional or an error in judgement.

*disclaimer: Not familiar with Mr Russ or the ram story.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
exactly what came to my mind too... on purpose or by accident..

if on purpose was it smart?

Regardless he got a big one, and I didn't mind reading about, but can toss a lot of the other advice as I have other ways of doing things....

Sometimes the writing style too, you choke through it to get the story, the one seal that came back was that way for me, I could not STAND the writing, but the story was worth it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
exactly what came to my mind too... on purpose or by accident..

if on purpose was it smart?

Regardless he got a big one, and I didn't mind reading about, but can toss a lot of the other advice as I have other ways of doing things....

Sometimes the writing style too, you choke through it to get the story, the one seal that came back was that way for me, I could not STAND the writing, but the story was worth it.

I agree he was out in it and got to kill a huge ram because of it... and he guided a few guys to rams...

I also agree the writing is a struggle to read...

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'll let TR's rep among those that know him, hunted with him, and dealt with his clients after the fact speak for itself.

I have no desire to compete with anyone over scores ever again. My success is good enough for me and would be for all but the tiniest fraction of trophy hunters.

Like I thought. Nothing to back up the smack with. Must just be jealous smile

I agree with the above, his writing style is terrible. Good book to start to read if one wants to fall asleep...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any time you want me to buy you a beer and let you put your hands on amazing critters let me know...

Betting your mind would pull a 180...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you offering to take him to the Millenium? (or whatever its called this week)

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Any time you want me to buy you a beer and let you put your hands on amazing critters let me know...

Does that line usually work for you?
Sounds like a date. wink

Last edited by ironbender; 02/19/16.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK. Experienced Alaska book readers don't laugh. My FIL is 80 and is clearing stuff out. Never hunted, etc., but he's always belonged to a campground to get away on weekends. During those getaways he'd read books, usually purchased at yard sales. I like nonfiction and grabbed from his table, Going to Extremes, by Joe McGuinniss.

The first half of the book was pretty good and I was laughing out loud at times. The second half I started plowing through on a plane yesterday and haven't finished the book yet. He jumps around a bit. Sometimes I find myself looking for a missing page, making me wonder if he didn't drink his way through some of the boredom in Alaska in the 70s, while writing this book.

If nothing else, it has wet my appetite for more nonfiction books on Alaska. So I'll be following this thread for sure. Keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited by Joseywales; 02/19/16.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Off the beaten path a bit, but "We live in Alaska" is interesting. http://www.amazon.com/We-live-Alaska-Constance-Helmericks/dp/B0007IWQD4

Rearden's book on Slim Moore is on my list. Peeked through it while stuck in a tent, but haven't read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Moore-Al...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1455934001&sr=1-3

I have TR's sheep book, because he was was giving them away at a gun show... tried to read it and failed. To be fair, I think that sort of a book is tough to make interesting and useful. I can't stand most books of that flavor. But that one is... really something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Jim Rearden's book on Slim Moore and several others, one of my favorites is "Alaska , 50 years of Hunting Adventure", it has some great stories. Rearden was good friends with Jim Brooks, who has at least one of his own books "North to Wolf Country". I enjoy reading these over and over.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

If I want to look at a bunch of 3/4 curl sheep I'll go take a walk through the talkeetnas or kenais. Thanks for the offer though, I enjoyed the last time we had a beer and also those flies you gave me on the kenai a few years back. I believe you also gave me some flies outside cabelas one day too. Your hospitality is 2nd to none!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You got me on the sheep... I do have a ton of dink sheep.

Deer, caribou, no shame... bears, not so much...

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender

Does that line usually work for you?
Sounds like a date. wink

Just remember, if he offers to show you some "pretty wood", run! (out the window if necessary)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
shocked

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
2 books that I found very interesting, and educational, "The Wilderness of Denali" and "Wilderness of the upper Yukon" by Charles A. Sheldon. Both books were originally published prior to the first war. IMO, a must read, for any individual interested in Alaskan History.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man, you guys are good! I'm making my list and checking it twice.
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's another good one, TrailBreakers: Pioneering Alaska's Iditarod, Vol. 1 by Rod Perry. It's very thorough look at the economic forces as well as the geography that created the Iditarod trail. Also the author ran the first Iditarod sled dog race.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
He's a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic azzhole. He lived next door to one of my best friends for many years and impressed me with his self-righteous liberal attitudes.

Ed

And those are his good attributes. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
He's a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic azzhole. He impressed me with his self-righteous liberal attitudes.

Other than that, he's a mediocre writer.

Ed

Nailed it!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just received my copy of Wind and the Water by Lenora Huntly Conkle with Jim Rearden. Mine is signed by Mrs. Conkle in 1991.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We'll be awaiting a review!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just received my DVD from the Shebals. This Is My Alaska.
Looking forward to a little time to sit and watch it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Ed was being generous.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We might have to talk about the dvd, I tried to internet order it and found you have to call and have not made the time to do that yet...

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, by phone only. They are outside for the winter. They are in PA. I had to leave a message, but they called back.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Through the first 6 chapters of the Conkle book by Rearden. The Conkles are some tough folks and are attacking Alaska with determination and a growing love.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by batch
I think Ed was being generous.

Thanks, Phil. I was trying to keep it a family-friendly post. grin

Ed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In regards to Chris Batin, I've enjoyed quite a few of his articles in Outdoor Life and also his book.
I understand there is a literary license used by all authors so I appreciate the extra mile they go, to make a sometimes stale story exciting and enjoyable to read.
I really liked his article entitled "Cub Killer" (I think that was the title.) in Outdoor Life years ago. -tnscouter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have told the story here before, but the abridged edition is Batten was caught on video by a friend of mine cutting my friend's young daughter's line when she hooked a king salmon.

POS is too kind...

Sitka deer, I haven't heard the story before and was curious to the reasons behind Batin's actions. Is it cool for you to expound on that or is it better left alone? I'd like to hear about it. Thanks -tnscouter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Friend was fishing in his boat, anchored in the Talkeetna River with his son and daughter, both young teens or a little less. They were in the hole before anyone else, it was still early.

Batten came in and anchored very close and immediately downstream of them... an azzhat tactic called "lowholing"... especially poor form as he had a boatload of charter customers and a big hole to choose a spot in.

Very quickly after Batten showed up the daughter hooked a good king and it did what they do and ran downstream. My friend was videotaping the whole time and looking through the camera.

The line almost immediately went slack... video review shows Batten pulling out a largish knife and cutting her line. The proof is very clear.

Just watching him in his presentations is painful... oh, and he is quite short...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might just want to search Amazon for books on Alaska, then look at all the entries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1495307565?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Rupert

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks RupertBear, I live on the Amazon website. Finished the Bud Conkle book by Rearden. I really enjoyed it. I have read the Heimo Korth's book, and a book on whaling and living on the North Slope in the 1930s and 40s I believe. Damn I can't remember the name of it. I need to check my little library.
Yeah, I also read the book about the young man that lived in a bus near Mt. McKinley(Denali). He didn't survive.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I gotta get Heimos book now after having seen them on the tube.... I hear the show is coming back and might be even better this time, even though last time didn't have as much crap drama as "non reality" shows generally do...

Working on Bear Man Of Admiralty Island right now since Carolyn just finished it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yeah, I also read the book about the young man that lived in a bus near Mt. McKinley(Denali). He didn't survive.

Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

You are correct.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Krakauer book is a good read, but it's not a 'living and hunting in Alaska'book.

More like 'misguided hoofing and starving in Alaska'. But the lad had enthusiasm, I'll grant him that.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a book...a blog, but a quick read on a first person detail that almost didn't get written:

http://livingthedream-kathy.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-plunge.html

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just remembered a very good read by Frederick Kent "Gene de Large." They built a cabin on Chandalar Lake and spent a month there every fall and the book is almost diary-like, but very well written.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The book about Heimo is good, think you'll enjoy it Jeff, but it doesn't really do him justice, course if you saw him on tv??? Maybe you can glean some of what I mean

The guys a hoot and a very good outdoorsman

I really like nick Jan's early stuff when he still lived in ambler

He's a good writer and had interesting stories to tell

Then he moved to Juneau and went all bunny hugger

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I read Heimo's book a couple years ago. It is a good read. I'm now finishing Flying North, South, East, & West. An interesting story of a young man "Terry Reece" that moved from Oregon to Alaska. He wanted to fly. Said he was the first to go from a student's license to a commercial ticket. In the book he is now flying Hercs. He flew the early Surveyors for the North Slope, explorer's supplies going from Greenland to the North Pole, supplies in Africa and the middle east. He soon came back to do the Alyeska Pipeline flying. He has for the most part flown 100 hours a month. He does mention his screwups.
Terry's first plane flight was in a "cousins" friends Luscombe.
His bud coached him and let him take off. On the landing his bud mmessed up and they crashed, but with minor injuries.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.