Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
it was equal in quality as the original,

1, what would happen to the prices of the original Pythons?

2, what could Colt sell them for?

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BP-B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming the quality was the same (big assumption) I imagine the prices on the used ones would fall drastically.

How much would the new ones cost? I'll venture a wild guess. $1200-$1400, maybe more. If I'm not mistaken I think they were going for about $1000 before it was a custom shop only pistol. The Python was always an expensive pistol.

I hear a lot talk about it but nothing from Colt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would all depend. If they were $750, the prices on previous Pythons that weren't rare collectibles, would quickly go down. This is assuming widespread availability of the new Pythons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay stop and think...

Colt couldn't make money on the Anaconda; they will never be able to pull of the Python.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even if Colt could make them exactly as good as the old ones, right down to a Colt Royal Blue finish, and offer them for a somewhat competitive price vs. other high end handguns, that market ship sailed a while ago.

Like walnut and blued steel rifles, CRF designs, single shot rifles and high end revolvers, only old guys want them anymore. Oh, I know some "younger" guys might buy them (you know, those 40 and 50 year old whippersnappers) but not in anywhere near enough quantity to make a decent ROI.

Semi-autos and concealable handguns are where the market is these days, something Ruger has taken advantage of in spades.

People that absolutely want one will pay the top dollar needed to get one, same as those who want a Ruger #1, while the other 99.6% of the buying public will look at a new one in a glass case and say, "wow, that looks just like Granddad's gun. Hey, gun counter guy, can I see that Glock?"

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For a very short time in 1974 or 5 I worked at the Colt plant at Rocky Hill, Ct. adjusting cranes on Pythons. Some companies support the manufacture of certain products by the profit from other models in their line. I doubt that Colt has the ability to do this with the Python. My best guess is that you will never again see the Python coming from Colt as a regular production model.

Last edited by Captain; 02/16/16.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Even if Colt could make them exactly as good as the old ones, right down to a Colt Royal Blue finish, and offer them for a somewhat competitive price vs. other high end handguns, that market ship sailed a while ago.

Like walnut and blued steel rifles, CRF designs, single shot rifles and high end revolvers, only old guys want them anymore. Oh, I know some "younger" guys might buy them (you know, those 40 and 50 year old whippersnappers) but not in anywhere near enough quantity to make a decent ROI.

Semi-autos and concealable handguns are where the market is these days, something Ruger has taken advantage of in spades.

People that absolutely want one will pay the top dollar needed to get one, same as those who want a Ruger #1, while the other 99.6% of the buying public will look at a new one in a glass case and say, "wow, that looks just like Granddad's gun. Hey, gun counter guy, can I see that Glock?"

Put me in the 50 year old whippersnappers column. I'd buy one. Ain't gonna happen though.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BIG IF.

If the gun community cannot get S&W to loose the lock, I don't think they have the pull to get colt to manufacture the Python.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hearing Lython and hearing re-introduction and something in my mind says MIM parts. Manufactured like they used to be? Ain't gonna happen.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Unless one has some acreage / farmland, something of that order, big handguns are going the way of the dinosaur.

About one year ago, my hunting buddy shows up at deer camp with a big Remington 1911 .45. I just laughed (to myself) that this purchase was a waste of $800 in spenditure, for it only sees several days of the year in the woods, for protection against brown bears (he claims) that we occasionally see, which BTW, are more scared of us that we are of them.

That big-azz 38-ounce handgun now sits in his socks drawer next to his bed, for home protection. That's about all the usefulness of such a big gun nowadays for us city folks. I use my 9mm in my sock drawer and it will kill a bad guy inside my house too - plus I can carry it as a concealed weapon.

My hunting bud bought a shoulder holster for his big, expensive 1911. Works OK for several months of the year when jackets are required. But it sure restricts how he motions - restricts how he turns .......etc.

To me, that was a waste of $800. I would have preferred a small Kahr .45 instead for my hip 24/7. It costs half-the-price of that 1911. I asked my buddy why he bought that big hog. He said it's what he wore for two years in Vietnam in 1970-71.

The Metro Detroit area in 2016 is worlds-apart from Saigon 1970. We both live in non/little-crime suburbia, where small concealable guns are the norm here. No wars taking place here and no reason to mentally drift back to Vietnam anymore for personal carry.

I still laugh at him today, for I think he finally acknowledges it was a mistake purchase for where we live and what we encounter here in suburbia. He has another handgun finally. But it took several months for me to talk sense into him, that light and small is much better. Leave the big hog home in that sock drawer, except for several days in the hunting woods.

But even then, I'd rather carry a small 15 ounce Kahr 45 versus that 38 ounce 1911 in the deer woods. Lastly, I think I finally convinced him that those brown bears are really peaceful creatures, as long as we don't enter one of their dens or stop to examine/pet one of their cubs.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 02/16/16.
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno. I visited a gun store last week and they had as many if not more full size handguns as compacts. It's a high volume store and I'm sure they wouldn't be on the selves if they weren't selling. That said, I would guess the ratio of wheelguns to auto's was probably about 5 to 1 though.

I think the Python would sell like hot cakes if they brought it back. I just don't think they will. Colt is in deep financial dodo and I'm sure it would be a huge investment to dust off all those old machines and teach people to run them and hand fit the parts again. I may be wrong and hope I am but I just don't see it happening. This seems to come every year after the shot show for some reason.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In my humble opinion, if Colt were to make Pythons and Diamondbacks again, they could be a big seller for them.

Price point is the issue. It would fall flat if the quality isn't there, and if they cost too much.

They could make affordable high end revolvers again, but maybe not in the U.S. (They would bear the Colt name and logo, but they would not be a true "Colt".

Much like the 1911 story... While I love and carry my Colt 1911 a bunch, I also have some 1911's that are as good in quality, or better than the Colts. I carry them too.

If that is the case, and Colt made Pythons and DB's elsewhere they would not make the collector market for the original ones tank.

I'd be a player on a Python and Diamondback in .22. If they were affordable.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
S&W seems to sell quite a few full size revolvers every year and they keep coming out with new variations and some are very expensive. I think the market is there. Now if Colt could reengineer it to a 7 or 8 shot?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a new Python when they first came out. I wanted a handgun to compete with my buddies Ruger 44 magnum. I had a Woodsman.

The Python was too barrel heavy for me. I could not aim it well. Also it's barrel leaded with my handloads.

My buddy could outshoot me with his Ruger

Then the forcing cone cracked on the Python! I brought it up to Colt in Hartford and they put a new barrel on for me free.

I put new Herrett's grips on it but they are just good checkered wood. Not a well balanced revolver.

I sold it and am glad it's gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

...That big-azz 38-ounce handgun...

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Python would require a forged frame and barrel. All internals would have to be CNC machined and then hand fit. Compare that to S&W's and Rugers. Rugers are 100% investment cast with some hand fitting. S&W uses a forged frame, cast barrel shroud, and MIM internals.

So the competition can make their guns for 1/3rd to 1/4 the manufacturing cost. How do you think a Python can survive a market being 3-4 times more expensive than the competition that is 99% as good as the Python?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And forging dies (and casting patterns) are a significant tooling investment up-front. Plus the engineering time to review & update all the designs & drawings. Even things like a little leaf spring can run into thousands in tooling cost, up front.

All that up-front investment has to be amortized into the expected production run, along with the recurring manufacturing costs, and you have to then turn enough profit to justify all the trouble. Oh yeah, Colt Industries, or whatever holding company holds the copyrights and trademarks, will charge a mint of money to let someone use the name "Python"

To me, the appeal of the Python was style (beautiful design, and quality of finish); trigger pull quality (leaf spring action); and accuracy (fine heavy barrel, and lockwork that accurately locked the cylinder into place while firing).

The downside of a Python is, it's a .357. smirk

Now maybe, just maybe, if someone of a get-it-done mindset, like Shiloh, or Wilson Combat, were to billet machine a .44 mag revo, and use top quality components, they could match the original gun's quality. But they'd probably sell only a few hundred, and they'd cost as much as a high end 1911. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Brought back the colt 1903 hammer less recently. Looks like a flop to me. Older ones only went higher in value....and the new one was over priced for the quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The early 6" Python was too barrel heavy for me.

Read what I posted about it above on this page.

Glad it's gone.

A moderate cast bullet load out of a Ruger 45 colt or maybe 44 is more interesting to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another post about the P.

" September 23, 2006, 08:31 AM #1
tliebs

Cracks in forcing cone - Please Help
I have a vintage Colt Python, circa 1955-57. I have discoverd serveral cracks in the forcing cone. I had Colt replace the original 6" barrel with 8". I have the original still. My question is - Can this be repaired? I could probably post pictures if requested.
tliebs is offline "

Link to this https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222895

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.