24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
As spring gets closer, my eyes keep wandering up the mountains wondering when the snow will melt. My favorite summer adventure is hunting the little buggers up above 8,000 feet. As soon as the road has thawed enough to get in there, we start looking.

Any body else big into high country chucks?

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not so much high country but we have a big old canyon with a bunch of them in it. Much of the better shooting is with air rifles on farms close to developments. I usually shoot a hundred or so each spring. Usually wait until about Mother's Day, by then the little ones are out and the shooting is excellent. Fun Stuff.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 02/16/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have seen hundreds of them up your way, always tempting me.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coldboremiracle: Some of my closest held "secret Hunting spots" are indeed those for high mountain Rock Chucks!
I have one secret spot from which I and a carefully chosen fellow Hunter can set-up and shoot at Chucks from nearby to 1,000 yards if one so chooses!
I choose NOT to shoot them at anything under 200 yards nor past 550 yards - and then only if the Chuck is of the mature/large body type.
These high mountain Chuck Colonies are often VERY susceptible to "over-Hunting" so I limit myself to 20 - 25 a day, total, from various stands.
Indeed I once traveled 950 miles to get to this particular spot only to find out the rocky road/trail leading to it, was still snowed in.
And this was in late June!
One of my all time favorite "high country" calibers by the way is the 220 Swift.
Slow shooting up here so no barrel heating worries and the flat trajectory always helps.
And another tip/observation - when I first found out about high country Rock Chuckin (1970'ish) my home Rifle range was at 25' elevation.
I sighted my Swift in there on the tide flats of Seattle and then traveled to the timberline (9,500' plus) and you would be amazed at the difference in the point of impact change (due to the change in air density)!
Have a good season and don't over-harvest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I like to shoot a few chucks, but never killed very many.. In the mountains, they hurt almost nothing.. They are kind of a trophy varmint.. If they are destroying something, buildings, dikes, crops, then I whack 'em.. A great animal to hunt..

Molon Labe
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know that it is tempting to start shooting as soon as the snow is gone. However, if you wait until Mothers Day (or so) the little ones are weaned and able to live on their own. If you get to shooting too soon you may be killing another 4 to 6 in the burrow... Just say'n

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Coldboremiracle: Some of my closest held "secret Hunting spots" are indeed those for high mountain Rock Chucks!
I have one secret spot from which I and a carefully chosen fellow Hunter can set-up and shoot at Chucks from nearby to 1,000 yards if one so chooses!
I choose NOT to shoot them at anything under 200 yards nor past 550 yards - and then only if the Chuck is of the mature/large body type.
These high mountain Chuck Colonies are often VERY susceptible to "over-Hunting" so I limit myself to 20 - 25 a day, total, from various stands.
Indeed I once traveled 950 miles to get to this particular spot only to find out the rocky road/trail leading to it, was still snowed in.
And this was in late June!
One of my all time favorite "high country" calibers by the way is the 220 Swift.
Slow shooting up here so no barrel heating worries and the flat trajectory always helps.
And another tip/observation - when I first found out about high country Rock Chuckin (1970'ish) my home Rifle range was at 25' elevation.
I sighted my Swift in there on the tide flats of Seattle and then traveled to the timberline (9,500' plus) and you would be amazed at the difference in the point of impact change (due to the change in air density)!
Have a good season and don't over-harvest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That sounds a lot like what I do, except you must have a lot more chucks than us. I'm happy to shoot 2 or 3 a day, but like you I never over harvest. I never shoot more than one or two from a group. We are very selective with our shots, they are not hard to wait out, and get a better/cleaner shot. But we do on occasion shoot them at 4,5,600yds. I totally agree they are a trophy varmint, which Is why I dont like to kill off the little buggers. They are actually quite a beautiful little animal, and fun to watch (through a scope).
I usually use my .223 barrel, but sometimes a 308 or 260, just depends on the day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang looks like fun, I'd like to get into them locally someday.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coldboremiracle: Wow!
Those pictures just stir my soul.
In one of my gigantic high country Rock Chuck Hunting areas I am atop a huge plateau as opposed to your steep up and down country.
Once atop this vast plateau I literally glide across the levelness with a day pack full of ammo, sand bags, optics and water and a heavy Rifle slung on my shoulder.
I can't wait to answer the call your photos have instilled in me, later this summer.
That snow bank also brings back memories of my high country haunts.
Be careful up there.
Thanks for the great photos!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
CraigD: Mothers Day is the first week in May and I am not even able to get into my high country Rock Chuck haunts until many weeks after that.
And I seldom ever shoot "pups" no matter what the calendar says.
Indeed, Rock Chuck Colonies CAN be wiped out, and I am quite mindful of that.
Just re-say'n.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoHunter: You touch upon a very valid point/subject!
Your quote: "In the mountains, they hurt almost nothing.." - that being said I get to Hunt them maybe once a year anymore.
Here in Montana Rock Chucks are considered "Varmints" and can be Hunted leagally year round and 24/7.
There is NO limit and NO license required and manner of harvest is unregulated.
It has been this way for half a century that I know of and the Rock Chucks are still doin pretty well.
I agree with your point that high country Rock Chucks are not destructive to man and crops like their low-land cousins are (Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels and low country Chucks).
Not try'in to wipe em out just try'in to Hunt them from time to time.
And I do also agree they are a trophy Varmint.
My crew and I have have a couple of "low-land" (6,000' to 6,500' elevation) Rock Chuck Colonies we Hunt - we limit ourselves to ONE Chuck a trip and that Chuck must be retrieved and photographed by the Hunter.
Then off we go Coyote, Fox, Badger and Ground Squirrel Hunting.
Have a good season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks fun up there. Only thing close around here is a groundhog and they are scattered around, most of them I see are here in town.

Would like to find a few hogs and get a little trigger time in.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Coldboremiracle: Wow!
Those pictures just stir my soul.

Thanks, they bring back a lot of great memories. Aside from big game hunting, "chucking" is my favorite hunt. My kids and I spend every free moment up there, around 8500ASL.

Heres some more pictures for you:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is CBM Jr. with his first chuck:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
We got into them again this weekend:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Had to test out a new SigSauer Tango6, and what better way to do it than on unsuspecting mountain chucks?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Got into em again this weekend;
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What kinda rifle is that?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
It is a Desert Tech SRS A1 Covert, a bullpup switch barrel precision rifle.

In this thread, you can see the same rifle configured in 223, 260, 6.5CM, 308, 7SAUM.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by coldboremiracle; 07/19/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.