Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a PSA "light" rifle kit but with a M4 contour and a 13.5" Keymod FF Handguard.
It's 6lbs 6oz w/o mag or optics.

What would I save with a pencil barrel? Manufacturer?

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't have numbers on 14.5" barrels but on 16" barrels a true pencil barrel is about 4.8 - 5 ounces lighter. Carbine length gas on both,.625" gas block on the thinner barrel. Faxon makes one. The version I bought has Mid-Length gas. Other lightweights I have used are VooDoo, Daniel Defense, Bushmaster/Quality Parts and Colt.

Last edited by Captain; 02/13/16.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
OP - I put together a PSA upper and lower with their stainless 16" pencil barrel and Midwest 12" SSK handguard - it was exactly 6 lb as pictured (including the Pmag). I don't know how much different this handguard and stock are from yours in weight, but hope that helps.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My buddy put together an upper for me with a Faxon mid length pencil and Midwest Industries gen 2 super slim rail. With MOE stock and grip and cheap-o Bushnell TRS 25 it weighs in at 5.89 pounds and shoots better than it has any right to. It's making me rethink lightweight barrels and red dot sights.

Hope this helps.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Here is the pencil barrel that is on my truck gun;

[color:#FF0000]Black Hole Weaponry LINK[/color]

1:8 Twist, mid-length gas, polygonal rifling, great accuracy and very easy to clean.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

1:8 Twist, mid-length gas, polygonal rifling, great accuracy and very easy to clean.

Ed

Tryed to shoot any groups with match ammo with that barrel? Been eyeing that one for a LW build.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Here is the pencil barrel that is on my truck gun;[color:#FF0000]Black Hole Weaponry LINK[/color] 1:8 Twist, mid-length gas, polygonal rifling, great accuracy and very easy to clean. Ed

Tryed to shoot any groups with match ammo with that barrel? Been eyeing that one for a LW build.

Not yet. I've been playing with some of my 50-55gr handloads made for prairie dogs and crows. If I get off my butt, I'll go put some together. I have 69gr SMK and Hornady 75gr Match, Varget, TAC, Benchmark, H-4895, Fed 205M, and Rem 7 1/2's to mix and match.

When I get that "round-to-it" I'll post the results. It's been accurate enough with the 50-55's that I considered shooting the Campfire Black Rifle Challenge, but never got that "round-to-it". blush

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ridge
My buddy put together an upper for me with a Faxon mid length pencil and Midwest Industries gen 2 super slim rail. With MOE stock and grip and cheap-o Bushnell TRS 25 it weighs in at 5.89 pounds and shoots better than it has any right to. It's making me rethink lightweight barrels and red dot sights.

Hope this helps.

Sounds real familiar...

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Yeah, my buddy's more of a starter and alternator guy, but he's not too shabby with AR's if you get past his acute case of hillbilly fugliness.

Strangely enough he has your initials.... wink

Hey, I just realized this is my second post! In 9 years no less! Does this mean I've reached resident expert status?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ridge
Yeah, my buddy's more of a starter and alternator guy, but he's not too shabby with AR's if you get past his acute case of hillbilly fugliness. Strangely enough he has your initials.... ;)Hey, I just realized this is my second post! In 9 years no less! Does this mean I've reached resident expert status?

Yes, you are officially an "old new guy". grin

Welcome (back) to the 'Fire!

Ed

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Welcome back!

I'm thinking about buying one just like it, was yours coated SS or chrome moly?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Nitrided 4150 CMV (I think).

Next time we go to the range let's really warm it up and see what it does.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Faxon pricing is good, hope they get some back in stock

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Ed

Just received one of these that I had ordered during their SHOT show sale. Need to order a handguard, gas block and tube - everything else is on hand to put it together (Colt 6720 donor upper/lower/bcg/trigger/etc, Rogers super stock, Aimpoint T1, Magpul BUIS, etc.)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Voodoo 16.5 ultra light is 21 oz

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TXRam

Ed

Just received one of these that I had ordered during their SHOT show sale. Need to order a handguard, gas block and tube - everything else is on hand to put it together (Colt 6720 donor upper/lower/bcg/trigger/etc, Rogers super stock, Aimpoint T1, Magpul BUIS, etc.)

That barrel deserves a BCM KMR rail, IMO.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by TXRam

That barrel deserves a BCM KMR rail, IMO.

Thinking about an ALG Defense M-Lok. I don't like the look of the key mod rails personally.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.