Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

Honestly it has been a very longtime since I have heard of someone tough enough to Backpack out overnight for two days in a row of Hunting and then Backpack out all their Gear + a Deer or Elk, or maybe a Moose. How about you guys?

Coming from a tinfoil hat wearing offroader, that's really not a surprise.

Sorry, couldn't resist... your forum name is low hanging fruit.

laugh

Lol...you make a very good point and it's all good! smile But seriously? How big can a Zone or District you were lucky enough to draw a tag in be that you can't just use road access and a Base Camp to hunt from? We have very large Zones out here and they can still be walked across in half a day. Why abuse yourself with an additional 40-50 Lb pack of gear? Alaska and Canada with very little road access maybe but here in the States?

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Honestly it has been a very longtime since I have heard of someone tough enough to Backpack out overnight for two days in a row of Hunting and then Backpack out all their Gear + a Deer or Elk, or maybe a Moose. How about you guys?

Coming from a tinfoil hat wearing offroader, that's really not a surprise.

Sorry, couldn't resist... your forum name is low hanging fruit.

laugh

Lol...you make a very good point and it's all good! smile But seriously? How big can a Zone or District you were lucky enough to draw a tag in be that you can't just use road access and a Base Camp to hunt from? We have very large Zones out here and they can still be walked across in half a day. Why abuse yourself with an additional 40-50 Lb pack of gear? Alaska and Canada with very little road access maybe but here in the States?

Really? Walked across in 1/2 a day? That's not what I'd call "very large."

Don't want to hunt where the good animals are?

Ever heard of "Wilderness Area's?"

BTW, even though many in AK are borderline aliens, it's still in the "state's."

Me, I live in Montana... what do I know?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless absolutely necessary, Back Packing is for mild Weather and only requires one Heavy Blanket and a Ground Tarp. smile

LOL, don't tell my 55 year old wife that...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ten stream crossings, nice freezing water...

[Linked Image]

This is why I live in Arizona. Backpacking in Great Weather is actually just about year round for us. My Wife and I both grew up Camping from Horseback so we are no strangers to sleeping on the Ground without needing a Tent.

Tents are just noisy. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why abuse yourself with an additional 40-50 Lb pack of gear? Alaska and Canada with very little road access maybe but here in the States?

In lots of places the best hunting is 3-4 miles from the road. If you pack in, you eliminate a 6-8 mile round-trip in the dark. And can get to your hunting area earlier in the morning, and stay later in the evening.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Here in the east ( Dacks), if you walk in 4-5 miles from the nearest road or trail, you can be pretty much assured of hunting day after day and never seeing a another human track.

Carrying 40 pounds in is easy, even the 2-3 hours of sweat and pain coming out with the camp and boned out deer isn't all that bad.

Moose or elk? I would want some friends smile

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Why abuse yourself with an additional 40-50 Lb pack of gear? Alaska and Canada with very little road access maybe but here in the States?

In lots of places the best hunting is 3-4 miles from the road. If you pack in, you eliminate a 6-8 mile round-trip in the dark. And can get to your hunting area earlier in the morning, and stay later in the evening.

So true... but I do wonder why so many car-campers visit a forum called "Backpack Hunting?"

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by noKnees
Here in the east ( Dacks), if you walk in 4-5 miles from the nearest road or trail, you can be pretty much assured of hunting day after day and never seeing a another human track.

Carrying 40 pounds in is easy, even the 2-3 hours of sweat and pain coming out with the camp and boned out deer isn't all that bad.

Now this is more realistic in perspective. And what we Hunt here are LARGE Mule Deer and Elk. So even with a Mule Deer "completely boned" out we are still talking about 80 to 100 Lbs of Meat depending on how old it is plus your Gear.

I agree that a Whitetail or Antelope would not be too bad under these circumstances of course.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/mule-deer-pack-out-weight/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by noKnees

Though it's been decades ago, I've hunted the Dak's for deer and concur. And the ADK certainly can't be walked across in a 1/2 day!

This year's backpack hunt. Solo, Wilderness Area. Granted, it was unseasonably warm for nearly November, but that's not always the case!

An elk can be gotten out solo... it just takes more trips!

The "noisy" tent:

[Linked Image]

First load, somewhere in the 90lb range, and also somewhere near the end of my "fun" limit...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And a "hint," these kind of animals are not generally killed near roads...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Now this is more realistic in perspective. And what we Hunt here are LARGE Mule Deer and Elk.

How do you know what's realistic if you've never done it? Lots of guys pack out elk solo. There's nothing "unrealistic" about it.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And a "hint," these kind of animals are not generally killed near roads...

I hunt in September and I always hear the same thing from the guys camped at the trailhead--various reasons why the bulls aren't bugling yet. 3-4 miles of separation from roads normally gets the bulls bugling.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know one thing...I can cover a lot of ground twice as fast even out 6 miles or more traveling light with only a Rifle, an empty Pack Frame, and minimal necessary sustenance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet I can cover more ground than you with a camp and 10 days of food on my back, and then not have to return to my jeep and warm Snuggie at night....

Tanner

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by Tanner
Unless absolutely necessary, Back Packing is for mild Weather and only requires one Heavy Blanket and a Ground Tarp. smile

"Backpacking is for mild weather...."

Maybe back-packing is, but back-pack hunting sure isn't only for mild weather.

tanner

Don't feed him anything, please.

smile

I set up Base Camp and sleep in the Cherokee and then venture out Hunting each day from there Myself. Packhorse aside, The Cherokee will travel anywhere any other mode of transportation is now legally limited to travel. smile

I hope you hunt the units I do. I love road hunting tag holders and wish everyone would do it!

I love your style. Great job!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Takes about 100lbs to pack out a boned out sitka blacktail and all my camp gear. Not too bad.

Road hunters are awesome. I'd say 95% of hunters don't venture too far from the road, and for good reason.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Takes about 100lbs to pack out a boned out sitka blacktail and all my camp gear. Not too bad.

Road hunters are awesome. I'd say 95% of hunters don't venture too far from the road, and for good reason.

There's a statistic somewhere in Washington State that says 95% of the hunters stay within 3 mines of a paved surface.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know one thing...I can cover a lot of ground twice as fast even out 6 miles or more traveling light with only a Rifle, an empty Pack Frame, and minimal necessary sustenance.

I can move faster with a light load too. I just prefer to do it a few miles away from the nearest road.

And like all the others, I really appreciate your efforts to stay close to the road.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some guys will carry camp with them all the time and camp where they fall. Others will set up camp 3 or 4 miles in and hunt light from there. Both methods will get you away from most hunters. It's just a matter of preference.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ok I'll admit it...I guess I am indeed a Road Hunter and you are welcome. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 02/29/16.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

BTW, even though many in AK are borderline aliens, it's still in the "state's."

Lol.... so true.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.