Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I still have mine. My pop bought me a buck small stockman when I was 13. 30 years later I still have it and it's in like new condition. It's a miracle it hasn't been lost.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A medium size Camillus stockman that my grandfather gave me when I was 6.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
My first was a yellow handles Queen Steel stockman.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Camillius official cub scout pocket knife. It lacked the can opener and only had a spear shaped blade, screwdriver/ bottle opener, and awl.

Got it at age 7 when my mom bought my twin brother and me our first knives. We were cub scouts then so she didn't buy Boy Scout knives. Not sure if it was cost, concerns about not investing money in something that would get lost, or fear of us testing the can opener tool on her food stock.

Either way.. I still have mine, and carried it through college. Its a little loose and sentimental so it doesn't see much pocket time now, but its amazing I still have it. My brother lost his...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a couple of pocket knives that I do not remember specifically, but first real knife was a Kinfolks fixed blade with leather spacer handle when I was 12. Still have it almost 60 years later.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wayne Hendrix model 11, birthday gift from my uncle when I turned fourteen. Still have it today.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A single blade Barlow from father on my 5th birthday.

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Case small Stockman when I was about eight years old. I started hunting with dad and grandpa at that age and they figured it was about time I got a pocket knife. Grandpa took me to the local hardware store and let me look at the knives in the swiveling display case. With a little guidance I ended up with a yellow bone handled Case XX stockman. I was taught how to sharpen on a set of stones and take a few passes on the strop to take off the wire edge. I remember how I felt like I was one of the men when I'd pull out that knife to slit a rabbit or squirrel to dress out or slice garden tomatoes or whittle a whistle from a green maple branch. That knife is long ago lost but the lesson of a man always having a pocket knife of some sort in a front pocket and a handkerchief in his rear pocket stuck with me to this day. I always wonder about a guys upbringing when they don't have either one of those two items when they need it. I don't loan out mine if asked... maybe they'll learn their lesson.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine was a Barlow with two blades. It is long gone.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A generic single bladed lockback bought at a general store. It had a cheap fake pearl handle. I think I was only 6, but I can still remember it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Barlow 2 blade, still have what is left of it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

I bet your a peanut butter and jelly making mofo.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Mine was one of those celluloid handled "fish" knives picked from a cigar box of knives that my parents had. Red, main blade pointy as hell, fish scaler on the spine, probably an Imperial? I was about 10.

In many of these stories here the ages are 6-10 range and we carried them to school! Jail time now for that...........

http://www.musicmadeknives.com/index.html

Knives are mans best friend........dogs are pretty cool too!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Walden stockman

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Pops thought I was too little for a pocket knife but that summer I found the remains (one blade) of a cheap folding pocket knife that had been driven over.
I used some copper tubing for a handle and drilled a hole with an "egg beater" hand drill so I could pin the blade to handle with a nail.
I carried it for a while in the watch pocket of my jeans.
He figured out I was "carrying" and I got a yellow handled Imperial two blade shortly thereafter.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is the Buck 110, I bought it around 1973 and still have it.
My oldest knife.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Victorinox pocket knife I got for my birthday from my best friend (we were so young it was his family's Bday gift to me. Got it despite my parents not really approving. Didn't cut myself, but cut a lot of other things. laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first was the official boy scout knife. 40 years later and I still have it. It was used extremely hard
but I can see scout logo on it. The knife has a spear blade, can opener, screwdriver/bottle opener & awl.
Great topic, thanks for posting it.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two blade Barlow. Carried it to school in kindergarten. There've been LOTS since then, but I have that one still.

First hunting knife was a Schrade Sharpfinger. I still have that one, too.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RWE
[Linked Image]

I don't recall exactly but believe it was probably something like this one, in a Boy Scout configuration. First fix blade was a Buck 105...

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
A Buck 119 Special. That was almost 40 years ago and still have it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by RWE
[Linked Image]

I don't recall exactly but believe it was probably something like this one, in a Boy Scout configuration.

I remember going with my Dad on a weekend to the shop on Fort Belvoir. I was 4. The EM's were drinking Pabst from a round top refrigerator and smoking Pall Mall's.

Still remember the smell of those cigarettes.

One of the spec's reached in his pocket and handed it to me.

Said it was the last thing he had from Nam and it was time to let it go.

Knife was lost by the Mayflower moving company in 1974 when we moved to Michigan, along with a lot of other stuff my Dad gave me.

Give me a Pall Mall and a Pabst in a can, and I'll choke right up.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
A Buck 119 Special. That was almost 40 years ago and still have it.

This! Had it since the early 70s and still have it. Two handed brisket splitter on deer and moose.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm impressed so many of you can remember the exact knife. Not sure if it was my first but remember the second year I was old enough to buy presents, with money from my parents, I bought my Dad a pocket knife. When he opened it I said something like he already had a knife and that I didn't. My older brothers reminded me of the story. I do remember my dad gave me the knife - and I learned proper gifting. I don't have a clue as to the make or model.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

For my 6th birthday in 1958.
Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. Found this pic online.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Mine was a Barlow with two blades. It is long gone.

Same here, on both counts. Store where we got it was the general store, post office, and a mechanic's shop. I'm sure that's long gone too.

BB3 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A Schrade Old Timer 3OT small lockback. Brand new in the box. The knife that started my whole collection.

"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean."

-Sir Isaac Newton
D
D
I think it was a Case Trapper.Still my favorite to carry hunting.The one I have now is only 40 years old so it's kind of a new comer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm 67 and cannot remember when I didn't have a Case in my pocket, thanks to my Grandfather.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cub Scout knife about 1963 - with three younger brothers stuff got handed down - I don't have it any longer. I do have the Western Black Beauty fixed blade my folks gave me for Christmas in 1966 and the Buck 301 Stockman my grandma gave me for HS graduation in 1973.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My first real hunting knife was a Buck 110 folder I got as a Christmas present from my dad when I was 16. That knife has cleaned countless duck and geese, a dozen deer and antelope and a couple elk. Still holds an edge like crazy. It's pretty much retired now and has been replaced by many other knives but none will ever replace it!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first knife was one of those brass bolstered folding lockers with the blade marked Pakistan. They used to sell them at flea markets covered in cosmoline and waxed paper. They also could be won at the county fair along with roach clips with pink or blue feathers strung from them on gray suede, cardboard framed rock band mirrors, and airbrushed cowboy hats.

These are a bit later, my little brother gave them to me 25 years ago. They've been in this old hard sided suitcase I kept all my hunting stuff in as a kid. It became a time capsule of sorts.
[Linked Image]

This one was also in there. The blade's marked STAG Ireland.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My first knife was a yellow handled Case w/2 blades in 1970. Wish I still had it. Was followed very shortly by a Boy Scout knife and two very nice fixed blades from my Grand father, all of which I still have. All of them have been used pretty hard but are still razor sharp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Since no one was apparently going to give me one anytime soon, and I didn't have the money to buy something expensive with a name brand like "Buck", mine was the same as Kingston's, one of those cheap, brass-bolstered, Pakistan made lockbacks. I was so proud of it!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Buck 110

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Barlow, the old man gave me a white handled shrade, with 2 rams fighting, lost it on a mule deer hunt in 87, wallowa oregon when I was 12. Ran a sharp finger for several years after that.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Butter, I think. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Best as I can recall, my first real knife was Puma folder purchased in the late 60's at a local hardware store for the princely sum of $15.00 or so. Unfortunately, it disappeared....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
hand-me-down Ka-Bar

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buck colt 703

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Toad, that's a cool old knife I've looks like it's missing the bail. I like a bail but I don't own one knife that has one. Thought about a wenger standard issue but I'm so used to the saw blade on the Swiss army farmer, I know it would be missed to much.

Last edited by seal_billy; 03/31/16.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I did not know the hole in the bolsters was for a bail. i'll have to do some research.

ETA wow. just found a 'well used' example of this knife listed on fleabay with a starting bid of $395.00. apparently the dog's head is desirable or this guy is dreaming.
LINK

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The hole may not be for a bail, I just assumed it was. Wow that is some luck. I think every thing I own goes down in value...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My first pocket knife was an Ulster BSA 4-blade.

My first fixed blade knife was German Edge Brand from the display case in the Western Auto store.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A Buck 110.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
It was a tie. 1981 Dad gave me a Buck 110 folding, and my uncle gave me a Buck knife fixed blade for my birthday which fell with 3 days left of my first buck season. Sat in the cabin each night and was taught to wet stone sharpen. Must have wiped them down 20 times in 3 days. No buck was skinned that year. The next season the fixed blade saw some use.

Can't make this sh%t up
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My first knife was one of those tiny little things that come with a blunt tip blade and nail file. I found it in the dirt road in front of grandpas house. I was four or five years old. Got a spanking when mom caught me whittling a stick with cuts all over my fingers. Grandpa bought me a barlow single blade the next year.

Wake up to this!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I envy you younger fellows who can remember such things. Heck, I can't remember if I took my blood pressure meds this morning.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My first knife was one of those tiny little things that come with a blunt tip blade and nail file. I found it in the dirt road in front of grandpas house. I was four or five years old. Got a spanking when mom caught me whittling a stick with cuts all over my fingers. Grandpa bought me a barlow single blade the next year.

Wake up to this!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The first knife that came to mind was the first hunting knife I bought in 1974. It was a Buck 110 that I still have.

Reading what others have posted, I remembered my genuine Boy Scout camping knife. A Barlow style knife was very useful when working on the farm. What a trip down memory lane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.