Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still like the 45 Colt better. Nyahh Nyahh. wink

There are a couple of other advantages to the 45 Colt. The ability to use 45 ACP in some models is one of them. If you reload 45 ACP you can supply both cartridges from one box of bullets. There is also the 45/410 thing which I also poo-poo'ed until I tried it. In practice, there is no handgun shot shell that can compare with it. Standardizing on 45 colt gives me options, from the American Derringer to the Redhawk, that simply aren't available with the 44.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nothing wrong with that. I love both cartridges and their ancestors and I think the .45ACP has a lot to offer in a single action. I've wanted one of the .45 convertibles for a long time but have put it off because I'd rather have an Old Model .357 converted. wink

I know you didn't just reference those .410 thingies!!!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve been retired for 15+ years. I’m out with the dogs, woods bumming all but a few days of the year and carry all day, every day. My go to guns are for personal protection (for peace of mind), targets of opportunity and recreational shooting. With that in mind.

I can get along with either cartridge in the platforms I use most. On the upper end either will run 320/330gr wide meplat cast bullets in the 1,150 to 1,200 fps from a 4 ¼” bbl. On the lower end, both can be loaded for pleasant all day shooting.

For me, it boils down to platform. The older I get, the more I gravitate towards smaller, shorter, lighter handguns and I tend to shoot the double action S&W a bit better than single actions.

Either the S&W M69 (4.2” L-Frame .44 Mag), or the 4 ¼” Freedom Arms M97 in.45 Colt would work for me. Both are medium frame, 4” bbls, and weigh 35 to 37 oz. Both can be used with iron sights or can be easily scoped. And, contrary to popular belief, it easy enough to work around the FAs worrisome “short LOA”.
FA M97 .45 Colt
[Linked Image]
L Frame .44 Mag – bottom gun.
[Linked Image]
The M69 .44 Mag is my current everyday carry gun.

FWIW,

Paul

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by lastround
RJM,
With your obvious experience, knowledge, and abilities, I hesitate to question anything you say about handguns; but your statement about there not being much 44 magnum brass used when loading for a Smith Mountain Gun (44 mag) brings out a question. Why would you not just download the magnum brass to the velocity you choose. I have always felt, maybe wrongfully so, that accuracy from a 44 mag cylinder would be better using the longer brass. No argument intended here; I'm just inquiring as to the reason.

Obviously I am not Bob, nor do I have his years of expertise.

I do exactly what you are talking about, and simply use .44 mag brass for everything. My standard load of 10 grains of Unique and a 240/250 grain cast SWC (medium load) could easily be duplicated in a Special case.

I find it very simple though to do 3 loads, essentially light, medium and heavy, all in magnum brass. This way there is a minimum of fuss, separating cases, adjusting dies, etc.

Easy Peasy.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Give me a .45 Colt in a 5 1/2'' Ruger single action and I'm a happy man.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CraigC
Nothing wrong with that. I love both cartridges and their ancestors and I think the .45ACP has a lot to offer in a single action. I've wanted one of the .45 convertibles for a long time but have put it off because I'd rather have an Old Model .357 converted. wink

I know you didn't just reference those .410 thingies!!!

I've found that 45 ACP actually makes a pretty darn practical field cartridge, and in a light SA, is quite fun. When I envisioned my "perfect" single action, it was in ACP. The new mid frame Flattops come pretty close right out of the box.

Throats got uniformed in this guy.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I came real close to getting one of the mid-frame convertibles but still have that nagging itch for an Old Model. I've already got a 6½" .357 with an XR3 grip frame just itching to become a .45. Probably make it a 4".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even a Public Defender can be a lot of fun if you tweak the loads a little, maybe shave a few thousandth off the rear of the cylinder. Would have kept it but I had two good Tauruses in a row and was afraid my luck would run out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

From article by John Linebaugh with pressure data to back it up

In a technical sense the .45 Colt is a big caliber, large capacity case that must operate at low chamber pressure compared to many magnum rounds. The fact that it has more capacity allows this to happen. In general loadings the .45 Colt will do anything the .44 magnum will do with about 6000 to 10,000 CUP less chamber pressure, depending on the load and bullet weight used. With standard weight slugs the difference is not as wide as it is with heavy slugs. This is the same rule that applys to calibers in rifles. A 250 gr slug is unheard of in a 7 mm mag, but neck the same case to .338 and the 250 gr slug is perfectly balanced. But like magnum cartridges the secret behind the .45 Colt's potential is the powder used to drive the slugs. For years Hercules 2400 was considered to be the finest magnum handgun powder available. Pressure data has shown that this is not true and the finest sixgun powders available today for heavy handloads are Hodgdon's H-110 and Winchester's WW-296. These powders are basically the same and can be fully interchanged as to charge weights. I've probably shot over 50 lbs of WW-296 in all my testing and twice that much H-110. I feel H-110 is kinder to lead bullets than W296 but H-110 does vary from lot to lot more than W296. I have never seen a "hot" or fast can of H-110 but have used some that was a grain or 2 slower than normal. The only way you can tell this is with Pressure equipment or a chronograph. With these powders VELOCITY MEANS PRESSURE. If you're not getting normal velocities, your powder is slow and not generating normal pressure. By working up carefully 1/2 gr at a time till your normal velocity is acquired you can continue to use these slow cans of powder. NEVER EXCEED OUR RECOMMENDED VELOCITIESOCITIES

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had to make the choice sever months back. I went with the 45 Colt in a 5 1/2" Blackhawk. I am as happy as I could be.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
I had to make the choice sever months back. I went with the 45 Colt in a 5 1/2" Blackhawk. I am as happy as I could be.

Wise choice. Got several of both and like my .45s better..

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I will toss another vote for the .45, just love my 5.5" Bisley. I run two loads, a 255 flat point at about 1000fps and a 280 LBT at 1300fps and that is all I need out of a pistol.

Throating was $50 and cut groups in half.

Back to the op, for smaller whitetail it will not matter a bit, a .357 with good loads will stop 100lb whitetail quite easily.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I am getting the fierce wants for one of these... not quite the $1K+ wants, but fierce ones nonetheless.

[Linked Image]

Getting my 5032 delivered next week..not as strong willed as you.
Could not pass on the price...$835 shipped

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Outdated information.

All the nonsense about "less pressure" is akin to a used car sales pitch. It yields the shooter nothing.

The .45 doesn't handle heavier bullets, or handle them "better", whatever that means.

The .45 doesn't penetrate better.

The .45 isn't always bigger.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No one ever mentions meplat diameter. With cast bullets, the only dimension that matters is meplat diameter.

Unless they're Keith SWC's, where the shoulder plays a role as well.

The problem with increasing meplats and bullet length is that as they get wider and longer, they need to be driven at times to absolute max to stabilize and shoot well, in any cartridge.

You bring up another good point about 45 Colt chambers; yes, a lot of them are still cut "Colt" style, but anyone using carbide dies in any straightwall handgun cartridge to get the cases to function in every gun is creating that condition.

I ditched the carbide dies to get brass that would load in my 29-2 and my Redhawk without issues.

I think if they are all the same, the 41 Magnum should get thrown in this discussion...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Outdated information.

All the nonsense about "less pressure" is akin to a used car sales pitch. It yields the shooter nothing.

The .45 doesn't handle heavier bullets, or handle them "better", whatever that means.

How is it out dated? The relationship between a larger and smaller diameter has not changed and will not change.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
The throats on this 45 are perfect.
[Linked Image]

Did I tell you that I finally got one of those for myself?

I haven't got to wring it out fully, yet. I did run 6 through it the day I got it though. I can tell you that I like it velly velly much.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Unless they're Keith SWC's, where the shoulder plays a role as well.

The shoulder has been found, by the likes of Veral Smith, to contribute nothing to the wound channel. If a big wound channel is the goal, the "Keith" bullet shouldn't be considered over any of LBT's designs. Nothing wrong with them, there are simply better options today.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With all the talk about throat issues with the .45 Colt, what should they slug out at? Is it consistency or size that's the problem?

Thanks for all the help and replies.

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Outdated information.

How is this information outdated? Please 'splain me.

The .45 IS always bigger all things (like meplat percentage) being equal.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.