Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Idwanderer, where would that little corner of the state be?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry LDB. I can manage my own wolf hunts. If your group comes to Montana, wish them luck. I won't be a supporter. mtmuley

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Blammer, if you come to Idaho to hunt wolves, here is the size of the mature transplanted Canadian Gray wolves that live here.

This is a picture of an Idaho male wolf from the Danskin pack that had been ransacking ranchers' calves and was killed by a govt. hunter shooting from a govt. helicopter, several years ago.

The helicopter pilot in the blue jump suit is 6'4" tall.

[Linked Image]

Good luck on your wolf hunt.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I believe in the near future Wyoming, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin will have a season. Michigan had one and the libtards shut it down. We've been scratching and clawing for one since. I've seen them a lot and could have shot many. I suspect like any critter, once they figure out they are on the menu they become scarce. I bet they would be just as tough as a coyote, which aren't easy by any stretch. You'll get the dumb young ones and the wise old ones will die of old age.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Being that there is a lot of traffic from you fellas in Idaho who are allowed to do a bit of wolf hunting.... do you mind sharing your best tactics with us who may end up getting a season soon. I doubt they will allow baiting so what else is a good tactic. Calling works for coyotes here but have yet to have a wolf come in. I try not to target them either and coyotes usually don't hang out in wolf country too much if they want to live. So, not much wolf siting when I'm calling coyotes. Does calling work for wolves if not what's the best way about it? Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LDB
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Yep.....no reason to poach em when ID will do everything short of paying for the gas to encourage you to kill em....

And for the record.....Rock Chuck's spot on about the degree of difficulty but one things sure....you won't kill one setting home on the computer.....if nothing else you'll see some magnificent country....luck

The Foundation for Wildlife Management will pay for your gas if you actually manage to kill one & make a difference! Check them out, it is an organization worth supporting whether you hunt/trap wolves or not. This group has made a tremendous difference up here by funding serious trappers who probably couldn't afford to do it on their own. They have now gone statewide and I believe will be funding Montana sportsmen next year. www.f4wm.org

Well I'll be damned.....I was just kidding....looks like I was that far off after all....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Blammer, if you come to Idaho to hunt wolves, here is the size of the mature transplanted Canadian Gray wolves that live here.

This is a picture of an Idaho male wolf from the Danskin pack that had been ransacking ranchers' calves and was killed by a govt. hunter shooting from a govt. helicopter, several years ago.

The helicopter pilot in the blue jump suit is 6'4" tall.

[Linked Image]

Good luck on your wolf hunt.

L.W.

Here's one from the Bonner area.....

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Aught6
Being that there is a lot of traffic from you fellas in Idaho who are allowed to do a bit of wolf hunting.... do you mind sharing your best tactics with us who may end up getting a season soon. I doubt they will allow baiting so what else is a good tactic. Calling works for coyotes here but have yet to have a wolf come in. I try not to target them either and coyotes usually don't hang out in wolf country too much if they want to live. So, not much wolf siting when I'm calling coyotes. Does calling work for wolves if not what's the best way about it? Thanks
Actually, if you see fresh sign, and know wolves are close by, a coyote howler is a great tactic. Wolves won't tolerate other canines in their territory. mtmuley

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Took the old dog for a short walk Sunday morning in dead Indian gulch. Lots of helicopter noise. Drove to the top, the feds were ready collaring wolves. Also were going to count elk. That won't take long. Good to see our taxes at work......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've often thought that if I shot a collared wolf, I'd make a little raft, tie the collar to it, and let it float to the ocean. I wonder how long they'd track it before they figured it out.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've often thought that if I shot a collared wolf, I'd make a little raft, tie the collar to it, and let it float to the ocean. I wonder how long they'd track it before they figured it out.

Why would you do that? Radio collars are an important tool to have if you need to find livestock depredating wolves, or wildlife depredating wolves for that matter.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think the collars monitor movement and if not moving for so many hours they go into a mortality mode. So I've been told. It depends on how often your DNR/Fish&Game peeps check them. Obviously if they have a collar moving along a highway at speed they know a collar was tossed on a vehicle. They've been known to get tossed on logging trucks around here. Down along a stream make take some time but out in the ocean would send a flag.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.