Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
No reason to believe anything changed in the bolt, they did not reduce the part count...

Blah blah blah.
Only problem I have had is mine keeps on running and killin critters.

Anecdotal evidence based on a sample size of one... compelling!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No reason to believe anything changed in the bolt, they did not reduce the part count...

Blah blah blah.

Just like my sample of 1 870 Remington, now my shotgun collection contains no Remingtons. Compelling huh?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've seen a Remington 700 completely shut down by a single grain of sand trapped in the trigger housing. About the only brand of firearm I don't have any of in my house is Remington. You couldn't give me any of their junk. I don't know much about A-Bolts but I do like and own several Brownings. The A-bolts just never appealed to me in the least.

Anything can happen once... it is more telling when numerous reports come in from different areas and reporters.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Blah blah blah.

Just like my sample of 1 870 Remington, now my shotgun collection contains no Remingtons. Compelling huh?

Well, with your math skills, don't go to gambling.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've seen a Remington 700 completely shut down by a single grain of sand trapped in the trigger housing. About the only brand of firearm I don't have any of in my house is Remington. You couldn't give me any of their junk. I don't know much about A-Bolts but I do like and own several Brownings. The A-bolts just never appealed to me in the least.

Anything can happen once... it is more telling when numerous reports come in from different areas and reporters.
You mean like all the reports from around the country of 700's going off when the safety is disengaged ? Or all the reports of bolt handles coming off ? I've seen a couple of those myself too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Remington 700's are such junk you would think the prices would come down instead of up. Apparently not many realize they are junk.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by humdinger

The tweaking done to 700s is far from mandatory and to suggest the average 700 does not shoot adequately, or any worse on average, than an A or X is laughable... and you CAN work on the Brownings, but no one wants to.

As to reliability, as I already stated I have personally witnessed more failures with A-Bolts than all other makes and models combined with far less time near A-Bolts.

Again, YMMV.

My experience with a 700 wasnt just sub par shooting, its workmanship and design issues where the safety had to be reworked to make it workable and the thing vertically strung shots 8 inches due to stock issues. I bought it new off a dealer off the internet so I was forced to go to a remington warranty center. Twice.

Your comment about gunsmiths not working on brownings maybe the warranty center issue. They may not have the network that remington has and or the volume of defective product remington has so gunsmiths dont do the work. Browning may be selective in who it sets up to do warranty work & parts center work like Remington who needs every gunsmith on deck to contain the crap they put out there. I shoot trap league and wouldnt own any remington pump, auto, or OU after seeing the number of problems they have....

Sometimes it how you look at it and twist the comments to favor your brand. I dont think remington is as good as it once was and my collection is shifting over to Brownings as I uprgrade.

Wow! One whole Remington lemon and you are positive the Whole World is looking at you!

There are far fewer A- and X-Borts out there than there are 700s... orders of magnitude differences in count. Why be surprised when they find a bad one.

But then you bad-mouth Remington pumps?!?! You do realize the 870 is the most used shotgun don't you? The militaries of a lot of countries, cops everywhere, and lots of farm boys use those nasty old 870s and they get the job done.

Have you ever heard of any real tweaking on an 870? Why divert the focus to a firearm that sets well above average in every category?

Oh yeah, that would be to get away from the argument you have no chance of winning.

Have you ever owned a browning gun? You cant even speak from actual product expereince I bet.

I've owned rem 788's, 600's, two 700,s 760s, 7600, Nylon 66, and 2 870s. They are not perfect guns.
Warranty recalls on the 600
The 788 had bolt handle issues.
One 700 was great (old ADL) and new 700 mtn lss SS required work. Add the current xmark trigger and safety issues in there...
760s and 7600s had magazine finicky issues and parts that break
Nylon 66 had a defective magazine tube from the factory that wouldn't even let it latch close.
And the 870s were not bad, but watching the stuff in the last 10 years with magazine tube issues, walking out action pins, rusting finish on the expresses...
The remington autoloaders are under constant redesign because of flaws in the the 11-87s being jamomatics and the vesamax hasn't done much better.

Big greens value engineering has really hurt them. Dont even start with what they did to the marlin lever action..

So yea.. My last Remington bolt with its warranty issues has convinced me not to buy anymore. Sure they sell a lot of 700s in price point plastic.. The stainless steel barrels rust from finger prints in the stores from handling.. X-mark triggers. Just because they make a lot doesnt allow for such high volumes of failures and poor product quality.

You read how everyone loves their 700's on this forum, but they tweak the heck out of them. I had to do it on remingtons warranty dime.

So far I am damn happy with my x-bolt and would recommend it far above a Remington. You may spend a little more, but you wont be paying for fixes like your Remington.

Yea.. Big green quality ins't what it used to be. Im am very happy with my browning rifle and shotguns after several episodes of sub par Remington performance going across shotgun, rimfire, and centerfire rifle products.

I still have my one 700 and the 600 so they are decent enough products once you get them tweaked. I cant believe I was dealing with a recall on the 600 on its trigger.. that was a 40 year old design... how long have they been doing sub-par product design?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
If Remington 700's are such junk you would think the prices would come down instead of up. Apparently not many realize they are junk.

all the rifle prices are going up... even savages. Not a valid point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You mean like all the reports from around the country of 700's going off when the safety is disengaged ? Or all the reports of bolt handles coming off ? I've seen a couple of those myself too.

Totally out of line!!!!!!!

This an A-Bort bash!
wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The tweaking done to 700s is far from mandatory and to suggest the average 700 does not shoot adequately, or any worse on average, than an A or X is laughable... and you CAN work on the Brownings, but no one wants to.

As to reliability, as I already stated I have personally witnessed more failures with A-Bolts than all other makes and models combined with far less time near A-Bolts.

Again, YMMV.

My experience with a 700 wasnt just sub par shooting, its workmanship and design issues where the safety had to be reworked to make it workable and the thing vertically strung shots 8 inches due to stock issues. I bought it new off a dealer off the internet so I was forced to go to a remington warranty center. Twice.

Your comment about gunsmiths not working on brownings maybe the warranty center issue. They may not have the network that remington has and or the volume of defective product remington has so gunsmiths dont do the work. Browning may be selective in who it sets up to do warranty work & parts center work like Remington who needs every gunsmith on deck to contain the crap they put out there. I shoot trap league and wouldnt own any remington pump, auto, or OU after seeing the number of problems they have....

Sometimes it how you look at it and twist the comments to favor your brand. I dont think remington is as good as it once was and my collection is shifting over to Brownings as I uprgrade.

Wow! One whole Remington lemon and you are positive the Whole World is looking at you!

There are far fewer A- and X-Borts out there than there are 700s... orders of magnitude differences in count. Why be surprised when they find a bad one.

But then you bad-mouth Remington pumps?!?! You do realize the 870 is the most used shotgun don't you? The militaries of a lot of countries, cops everywhere, and lots of farm boys use those nasty old 870s and they get the job done.

Have you ever heard of any real tweaking on an 870? Why divert the focus to a firearm that sets well above average in every category?

Oh yeah, that would be to get away from the argument you have no chance of winning.

Have you ever owned a browning gun? You cant even speak from actual product expereince I bet.

I've owned rem 788's, 600's, two 700,s 760s, 7600, Nylon 66, and 2 870s. They are not perfect guns.
Warranty recalls on the 600
The 788 had bolt handle issues.
One 700 was great (old ADL) and new 700 mtn lss SS required work. Add the current xmark trigger and safety issues in there...
760s and 7600s had magazine finicky issues and parts that break
Nylon 66 had a defective magazine tube from the factory that wouldn't even let it latch close.
And the 870s were not bad, but watching the stuff in the last 10 years with magazine tube issues, walking out action pins, rusting finish on the expresses...
The remington autoloaders are under constant redesign because of flaws in the the 11-87s being jamomatics and the vesamax hasn't done much better.

Big greens value engineering has really hurt them. Dont even start with what they did to the marlin lever action..

So yea.. My last Remington bolt with its warranty issues has convinced me not to buy anymore. Sure they sell a lot of 700s in price point plastic.. The stainless steel barrels rust from finger prints in the stores from handling.. X-mark triggers. Just because they make a lot doesnt allow for such high volumes of failures and poor product quality.

You read how everyone loves their 700's on this forum, but they tweak the heck out of them. I had to do it on remingtons warranty dime.

So far I am damn happy with my x-bolt and would recommend it far above a Remington. You may spend a little more, but you wont be paying for fixes like your Remington.

Yea.. Big green quality ins't what it used to be. Im am very happy with my browning rifle and shotguns after several episodes of sub par Remington performance going across shotgun, rimfire, and centerfire rifle products.

I still have my one 700 and the 600 so they are decent enough products once you get them tweaked. I cant believe I was dealing with a recall on the 600 on its trigger.. that was a 40 year old design... how long have they been doing sub-par product design?

Betting I have owned as many Brownings as you have guns... I like a bunch of them and still own some... quite a few actually.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking at your claims critically leads me to believe you are blowing more than a bit of smoke by rearranging your "facts" to pretend to have more experience than suggested...

Guessing about Browning's CS program proves you have no idea how things work in the real Word... Congratulations!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is interesting... the thread starts out abou x-bolts... Then some people criticize a-bolts so Sitka wants to create a A-bort bashing thread...

Then a few people complain about remington product and all the 700 supporters get defensive... Sitka is the most hurt.

I suspect Sitka works as a technician the Remington Warranty Trigger quick change center and needs people to keep buying that sub-standard product to keep employed.

Otherwise he has to go back to the Walmart lay away counter located 10 feet down the hallway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At least you spelled A-Bort correctly...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
At least you spelled A-Bort correctly...

I figure spelling proficiency isnt required for a Walmart gun smith and needed to bring it down to your level.

Way down.

Last edited by humdinger; 02/29/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am happy disabusing your fantasies is not my job...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Can we discuss facts, pros and cons, and not have superficial pi$$ing contests.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bisley

Dreamer!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dear Sitka Deer,

I have owned two Rem 700s, an SPS stainless and a Mountain Guide. Neither shot worth a darn out of the box. A very good group was 1.75 - 2". Bought new stocks - had them bedded, eventually bought both new barrels and now have had Timneys put on both due to my wife's 7-08AI firing when she was taking the safety off last fall. They were both in the trigger recall population.

I also have purchased two X-bolts in the past 3 years. Both are out of the box 3/4 to 1" rifles with good handloads and shoot almost everything 1.25" or less. They feed flawlessly with a full mag, unlike the Rems that often got bound upwith more than two in the mag.

There is really no comparison in my opinion.

Respectfully,

Greg Bradley,"bludog"

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bisley

Notice who gets upset over these discussions... should tell you everything you need to know...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bludog
Dear Sitka Deer,

I have owned two Rem 700s, an SPS stainless and a Mountain Guide. Neither shot worth a darn out of the box. A very good group was 1.75 - 2". Bought new stocks - had them bedded, eventually bought both new barrels and now have had Timneys put on both due to my wife's 7-08AI firing when she was taking the safety off last fall. They were both in the trigger recall population.

I also have purchased two X-bolts in the past 3 years. Both are out of the box 3/4 to 1" rifles with good handloads and shoot almost everything 1.25" or less. They feed flawlessly with a full mag, unlike the Rems that often got bound upwith more than two in the mag.

There is really no comparison in my opinion.

Respectfully,

Greg Bradley,"bludog"

That is all great.... until it is not!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 2003and2013, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.