Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Can anyone give me a ballpark weight difference between the two barrel profiles?
The A in a '06 is a little perky. I'm thinking the S would settle things down nicely - especially with 200 grainers.
Thanks

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I wouldn't sweat the numbers I think the 1-s in 06 with 24" of tube will be perfection! I had a 1a in 30-06 and totally agree with your assessment. The thing practically leapt of your hands when you pulled the trigger. In the 1a 7x57, 270, etc. are about perfect, but I think you'll love the 1-s in 06 should you go that route

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes I agree. I had a couple of 7 mousers in the past and they were fine, so was a .270Win.. I"ll check around some more, I'm guessing the S may weigh 8 ounces or so more.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am looking to pick up one of the 1S .30-06s as soon as my dealer gives me a call.

Having a 1B in .30-06 and shooting 200gr Partitions in it, I can DEFINITELY attest that I want no part of that fun out of a 1A...especially with what they use for a "pad." I think a 1S should be just right for the cartridge and bullet weight you have in mind.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd agree that the 1A would be a tad light (for my tastes) in an '06. The No.1's I've fired with 22" barrels include 7x57, 9.3x74 and 45-70. The 7x57 is mild, though the heavier kickers are rather 'lively' due to the short overall rifle length. I do have a 1A in 7x57 (22") and a 1S in 300 H&H (26"), though am unsure on actual weights. I do believe the 26" 1S is close to 8 lbs, and would expect the 1A to be closer to 7 lbs. I've always felt a 24" barrel would be ideal on a No. 1 and the '06 in that configuration sounds perfect.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allowing that I’m heavily prejudiced toward the old ought six, the 1S with 24” barrel in .30-06 is to me the most perfectly balanced blend of looks, length, weight, and appropriate chambering they have ever made. It looks “right”.

Just trying to justify spending way upwards of $1200 for an out of the box Ruger #1 with a gamble on wood quality. I am really trying hard, though... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have always been a fan of these 24" sporter weight barrels in the No.1. From the 1st 25-06's with the A weight barrel that Lipsey's brought out in 2006 and now the 1S 30/06 with a 24" barrel. I would like to think I had a small contribution to this configuration. If you can't find one, send me a PM.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wish they made a 1S in 375 H&H? Be the perfect totin rifle. I may make myself one one of these days.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What is the barrel contour on the 1s 30-06. I agree that the 1A barrels have always been a bit short and always favored the 1S except it was only available in magnum chamberings.except for limited runs like the 30-40 (great ) and the 218 bee (still scratching my head).

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The first Number 1 I bought (in 1971) was a 1-A in 30/06 and it was a great rifle. At that time, they were hard to come by and another fellow wanted it even more than I did so we did a trade in which he gave me a new 1-B and some boot. It took about a week for me to really regret that trade. I soon realized that I carried a rifle a lot more than I shot it and that 1-a carried very well. GD

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone get one of the new 1s models in 30-06? Would love to see a pic and get your thoughts.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My #1S .30-06 arrived two weeks ago and so far I've only had one short range session with it but will give a rundown of physical characteristics.

Mine weights 7 lbs 10 oz without scope, 8 lbs 12 oz with a set of #4 height rings and a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 scope. It comes with a pair of #5 rings, btw, I sent those back and am awaiting a pair of #4's in exchange. I borrowed the #4's on it from two Hawkeyes. #3 rings will let you mount a 40mm scope but you can't get it as far back as with #4's, so the 4's offer a good compromise of setting the scope back to get into the eyebox while not being so high to lose a decent cheek weld.

The barrel is .670" at the muzzle. With the thicker barrel it looks just a bit stubby to my eye, not ungainly by any means but not quite as graceful as the 26" barreled #1S magnum models in .300 or 7mm RM. To be a bit kinder, it looks very "business like". wink

Accuracy-wise it's showing me good things but I've only fired two groups with my reduced practice loads, the Hornady 150 gr. Spire Point with 44 and 46 grains of IMR4895 - not exactly barn burners for speed. This was just to sight it in and get a feel for the rifle, but it put four rounds into .89 and .97 inches respectively. I'm thinking more load work up will reduce those. Recoil with these loads was obviously light.

At first I thought something was wrong because after a few rounds to sight in and fire 8 shots for grouping, I switched to my 200 yard gong and started missing it randomly with a good sight picture at let off. After I got home I found that the rear ring clamp screw had loosened from the base (my fault for not checking it properly) so I got that tightened down. Who knows, maybe that will tighten up those groups?

Other than that it's a typical Ruger #1. Trigger pull is fairly crisp and consistent at 3 3/4 pounds. Wood looks nice from a distance but up close is a little bland. Mostly it's too light colored, with the character of the grain it would look better if the wood was darker. Balance is right between the hands and it feels and mounts well without the scope, a bit too heavy with one mounted.

An XS ghost ring sight is due to arrive tomorrow and that's what I intend to use this rifle with. One thing I noticed was that they seem to have raised the comb height since my last #1, a 1A in 7x57 bought some 6-7 years ago. With that one I could mount the rifle and be looking right through the open sights, with this one I have to scrunch my cheek down a bit to use them. Or maybe my face just got fatter in the last 7 years. Hey, it happens. wink

Overall, I am pleased with it. It does have the weight to mitigate recoil and the balance is very good. It's not as lively as the 1A models due to balance being more forward but it sets in your hands very nicely and is steady for offhand and kneeling positions. The local range is closed for a match this weekend but I'll work up some more loads and report back in a few weeks once I've given it an opportunity to show what it can really do.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks very much Jim in Idaho for your detailed analysis! Good stuff to consider!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks! I appreciate the write up. Do you have any pics?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not yet, it's rainy and windy today and I want to get some pics out in natural light. Hopefully things will settle down and I may be able to get out to the range this Friday to shoot some groups and take some pictures.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can you snap some just in your house?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It really looks just like these on gunbroker except the wood isn't as nice as these two. It does have that same rather bleached out look to it. On mine it looks like they got too close to a knothole on the comb. Definitely not the rich dark brown of the pic on Ruger's website but that appears to be the case with all recent Ruger #1's I've seen in ads or in person at stores.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=556733026
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=557119804

The good news is that it does shoot. I managed to get out for about 45 minutes early last week before the gales picked up and shot four groups with the Hornady 150 gr. Spire Point and 57, 58 and 59 grains of H4350, plus 44 grains of IMR4895.

44.0 IMR4895, 2485 fps, 4 shots into .706". I use either 44 or 46 grains with a 150 gr. bullet in all my .30-06 rifles for practice/plinking rounds and it is a pleasant shooting and very accurate load in all of them.
57.0 H4350, 2884 fps, 4 shots into .602". This one was actually exceptionally nice. Three shots into the same hole, .092", then me being among the ten worst bench rest shooters in the world I threw the 4th shot out to that .602" measurement.
58.0 H4350, 2941 fps, 3 shots into .512" and I threw a bad flyer 2" low.
59.0 H4350, 2989 fps. wind was picking up and I double grouped that one, two pairs of two shots touching at about 1 1/4" total.

No stringing tendencies with any load, they were all fairly random in distribution. Recoil with the 59.0/H4350 wasn't bad at all since the rifle with scope weighs 8 lbs 12 oz. It has a fairly short throat, the 150 Hornady seated .020" off the lands is seated so the case mouth is just at the bottom of the cannelure.

Overall, Ruger #1's do shoot but the wood, while okay, isn't anything to write home about.

One other thing to note which probably doesn't affect too many people. I plan (maybe "planned" past tense at this point in time) on mounting an XS peep sight which mounts into the two rear rib screws. When the rifle came out of the box those screws come out easily enough. But the rear scope mount scallops are right even with the rear rib screw, and after mounting the rings tightly it squeezes the rib in so that it's almost impossible to remove that soft metal screw with the tiny allen wrench that is used for it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a little 1a in 7x57 I picked up at a gun show a few years back. It has much better than average wood and is a pleasure to shoot. Picked up a 1s in 30-06 at a local mom and pop general store, again nice wood and good weight to recoil making it fine to shoot. Last there is a tropical in 375 H&H that comes back real fast, so much that I was dodging a standard scope and installed a scout scope so I would not develop a flinch.

I don't think I would care for a 1a in '06, or would I care for a 1s in .375

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
The first Number 1 I bought (in 1971) was a 1-A in 30/06 and it was a great rifle. At that time, they were hard to come by and another fellow wanted it even more than I did so we did a trade in which he gave me a new 1-B and some boot. It took about a week for me to really regret that trade. I soon realized that I carried a rifle a lot more than I shot it and that 1-a carried very well. GD

My assessment as well on totin' the 1A. If you sit and hunt, it doesn't matter. If you tend to walk/stalk like me, I prefer the 1A. The '06 isn't much of a kicker either way.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the way a 1-S handles....it's more rifle-like than he 1-A. To me, the 1-A tends to feel butt heavy. I really would like to pick one up, but after examining two in two different gun shops, I came away thinking that no one at Ruger much cares anymore.

The wood was awful. I have seen better grain on a cardboard box. Most troubling though were the safeties. On the first one I looked at, the safety was so so stiff that I think it would take the skin off your thumb. On the second one, the safety was so loose that it snapped off at the slightest touch.... not at all a safe condition.

I am seriously considering re-barreling an early red pad 45-70 to either 30-06 or possibly 280...just to get the longer barrel and have the nice wood.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.