Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Last PM a TV station in Little Rock, Ar news report said " " take this for what it may/may not be worth.!!

The AGFC reported the FIRST case of CWD in an Elk in the State. The Elk was killed last Oct, N of Jasper Ar. I didn't catch IF they said or not, what symptoms the Elk was showing.

Their plan is to kill @ 300 animals - species not listed - in a 5 mi. Radius and run test for CWD. IF all of those 300 are Elk, it will have some affect on the Elk population.

However, if those 300 are from Elk & WT, it won't have nearly as much affect on both species. They are going to test the corpses & soil content for the disease.

Being the first report it is MUCH to early to know anything about the future of these animals and hunting in Arkansas.

Regardless - it's a BLACK CLOUD looming. eek

Jerry

edit--to remove an unwanted emoticon (accidental)

Last edited by jwall; 02/24/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The thing about all of this is, it's not IF your state will get it is WHEN will it get there. The game depts go ape $hit crazy and start killing animals like there is no tomorrow and it does nothing.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Report - Confirmed:

I've been on the AGFC web and the TV report IS true. I didn't find anything on AGFC that contradicted the news report.

I did however see that the 300 # includes Wt & Elk. That makes me feel much better---IF IF it's half/half.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Just curious, did the case have any association with a captive herd? It seems like the cases I hear about around us all seem to have a link to a deer farm.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
noKnees -

A captive herd was NOT mentioned. The Elk was killed in Oct. during a legal hunt.

I haven't 'heard' of any captive 'herd' in Ark. I do know the locals have complained of Elk damage to fences and property. A captive Elk herd would require "SOME KIND" of fence. NOT impossible but expensive.

For the near future I'm going to try to stay on top of this story and will keep this updated - IF POSSIBLE!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the contributing factors reported in western states was the 'domestic' elk on ranches and game farms were regulated by the agriculture departments and there was little or no communication/coordination with fish and game departments.
Evidently a lot of untested transport and sale occurred followed by some escapes from some of these ranches.

BTW - I am speaking of elk - haven't really followed the deer CWD progression.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Alamosa -

I understood your reference to Elk.

I don't know but it's my understanding that Elk and Deer are equally susceptible to CWD. Also from my understanding for the diseases to transmit between Elk & Deer, they would have to be sharing the same habitat.

I would have said , CO- Habitat, but that would conjure more than I intended. <G>

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All the first cases of CWD in wild deer up here had game ranches as the source of infection. Despite being warned by numerous biologists of what to expect based on facts from the US our provincial government fools moved ahead. We now have a rather large and expanding area with potential for CWD in wild deer. As stated above our fish cops went on a massive deer cull withoit reding the spread off the disease.

Jerry; I hope this doesn't screw up your cervid ppulations too bad.

All the best GRF

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you very much.

So far---there has been only 1 diagnosed case.

Time will tell.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

So far---there has been only 1 diagnosed case.
Time will tell.
Jerry

More BAD news. Last week the AGFC announced one MORE case of CWD in Ark. This is also in the same general area. This one is a 2 1/2 yr old Doe deer that was found dead.

The first case was in an Elk 'legally' killed during one of the Elk seasons. IMO it was unlikely this elk was part of a 'captive herd'>> UNLESS it had escaped.

No details were given about the doe that found dead. We only know its sex and age AND was in the same general area where the Elk was killed.

AGFC began harvesting (killing) the 300 elk/deer combined last Monday, 3/14/16

That's the latest update so it "SEEMS" it has/is spreading. I hope that the AGFC is able to confine CWD and STOP its spreading. eek frown

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I figure lots of new laws coming. Most likely a ban on baiting, along with rules about disposing of bones. I can't think of others but I am sure the G&F will. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
miles -

AGFC intelligence>>>>Military intelligence ?

Remind you of anything?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
AGFC intelligence>>>>Military intelligence ?

Very familiar with both. miles

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As usual another f&g dept going ape $hit crazy it is funny how they want to blame everything else i.e. captive herds, head or spine parts brought in . They never think of all the stuff the restock after dragging them half way across the country sure easy to blame everybody else These agencies are ran by desk humpin idiots

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They never think of all the stuff the restock after dragging them half way across the country

A lot of the elk here were brought in from Colorado. Maybe from where they have CWD there. We had no elk until they were re-introduced. They were native here at one time, long ago. They also brought back the beaver, muskrat, and probably coyotes, but not sure of them. They may have just expanded with the deer herd. At one time there was only 2 herds of native deer left in the state. One in Stone county and the other in the lower White River. Lot of deer brought in from who knows where back then. Then they had to stock Alligator to try to control the beaver, muskrat and nutria. They seldom do things in our best interest, although they claim to. Their goal is to try to make things like they though it was, back around 1700, but forget that land use and number of people are way different. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very doubtful it came from the elk and was hidden this long without being detected. The elk are several generations removed from transfer and are generally 'well observed' so it would show up before now. The prion is almost impossible to kill and can live through the digestive tract of a buzzard and crow. Think about that for a minute. A buzzard (which travels over a large area) can carry the prion around with it and excrete it in a previously CWD free zone. Then the prion can sit there essentially forever before being consumed. Even forest fires don't kill is. Also, it can be carried in waterways. Dying animals seek out and frequently die in waterways. It is not a matter if if, but when for CWD infection in a previously uninflected area.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is the reason I stated earlier that it isnt a matter of IF we get it it is WHEN will states get it. You could eredicate every deer in a given area and it will do nothing to stop the spread. And states reintroducing stuff is all about MONEY plain and simple , looking at more stuff to hunt and selling more tags.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
mo -

I understand and 'partly' agree about the money thing.

I say partly because there are those individuals IN the AGFC and many many of us residents that are glad and happy to have Elk living in the State in our lifetimes instead of the distant past.

I have the pamphlet from the very FIRST Elk Hunt in Ark and it gives some details about the restocking. When I have time today I'll quote some of the stats.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Their goal is to try to make things like they though it was, back around 1700, but forget that land use and number of people are way different.
Wait until some junk scientist decides that AR had gray wolves in 1700.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wait until some junk scientist decides that AR had gray wolves in 1700.

We did have Red wolves, just a matter of color. I have seen several dead Elk close to the Buffalo River that was decaying, head still intact, so I figure that they had not been tested. I have not spent much time up there and I have seen several, so how many have died that were not tested is anybody's guess. Deer too. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, I intended to post a couple of pic of the AGFC First Elk Hunting Pamphlet but for some reason Ph. Bk. isn't uploading now.

So the pamphlet says that 112 Elk were brought to Ark in the 'early' 80s. They came from Co. and Nebraska.

There were 20 permits allotted with 2 of those donated to RMEF for fundraising. So only 18 were up for draw in the first year. Of those only 5 were for antlerless elk.

The FIRST Elk hunt in modern day occurred in 1998.

So it has been @ 35 yrs since the first transplants arrived. Today we have many new generations SINCE the first transplants.

And this yr. makes the 18th yr. to hunt Elk in Ark.

For 2015 there we 12 bull tags and 24 'antlerless' tags. From 20 tags in '98 to 36 tags for 2015 the herd has been growing pretty well.

Obviously the 2016 Elk season has not been announced PLUS the impact of CWD has not been determined so..... we don't know anything about the 2016 Elk season yet?????

If/when ph bk accepts uploads I'll be glad to post pic of that FIRST pamphlet.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay, I guess I had to wake Ph Bk up. It finally worked.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hope it doesn,t affect our deer season.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
craig -

Unless there is some rapid deterioration I'd expect only the 'area around Jasper' to be affected. I think it'll also depend on how many other cases of CWD and WHERE they are found.

It's just too early to know much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yea I suppose so
Although they close the area I hunt when the water level gets too high at Patterson YET I can drive around the farm without spinning a tire in 2 wheel drive and no water going across our low water crossing on Caney creek which runs through Part of our farm !!
I mean absolutely no water on the farm other than what little is in the creek.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
craig -

yep -

AGFC---"intelligence"

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seems that they found another deer, dead, from the same area. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well.. Today they announced a THIRD case of CWD in Ark. This one is also in a WT deer.

Little info is available right now but AGFC has said all 3 cases are in Newton Co.

eek cry

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
miles = you posted while I was typing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
mad eek
The latest news is EVEN worse for CWD in Ark.

TWENTY-TWO (22) cases have now been CONFIRMED in N Ark. So far only ONE (1) Elk has tested positive but TWENTY ONE (21) WT deer have tested positive.

I'm giving a synopsis from the AGFC.. You can Google "Arkansas CWD" then select 19 more cases confirmed (KTHV 11).

--**-- I have copied & pasted the whole article IN NEXT post.**

260 Deer & 18 Elk have been taken (killed) & tested. Four (4) cases were OUTSIDE the focal point. cry Those 4 were either found dead or killed by vehicles.

Some of these were from 'Boone" Co.,next to "Newton" Co. Jasper is in Newton Co. and the Headquarters for the Elk permit drawing held in June each yr.

This was posted Today March 24, 2015 and there are more details in this site.

Man! It just makes me sick!! Again it's still too early to know how far & wide this MAY spread and the GFC has not issued any details toward this year's Elk and/or Deer Season.

eek eek mad mad cry cry

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/23/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm trying to copy/paste the report.

19 more cases of chronic wasting disease confirmed in Arkansas
AGFC , KTHV 4:03 AM. EST March 24, 2016

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AGFC) – Bad news continues to roll in from north Arkansas amid the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s efforts to find the prevalence rate of chronic wasting disease in the area where the disease initially was detected. Results from last week’s tests revealed an additional 18 deer and a single elk with the disease.

Last week, tissue samples from 49 deer and elk taken in and around the 125,000-acre focal area were sent to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Madison for testing. Out of the 18 positive deer samples, four were found just outside of the AGFC’s focal area. Those deer were either found dead or were killed by vehicles. The single cow elk was taken from the Boxley Valley area of Newton County.

Arkansas now has 22 CWD positive samples from the state’s deer and elk. Before today’s lab results, two deer and an elk had tested positive for the fatal disease. All three of those initially tested cervids came from within Newton County. Today’s test results included 17 positive samples from Newton County and two deer from Boone County.

The first animal in Arkansas confirmed to have CWD was a 2½-year-old female elk. The elk was killed by a hunter Oct. 6 on the Buffalo National River near Pruitt during elk season.
The disease was confirmed on Feb. 23.

As of today, more than 260 deer and 18 elk have been taken for sampling. Another large batch of samples is currently at the Wisconsin lab with results expected late next week.

The AGFC will continue its efforts to sample elk that appear to be sick from throughout the known elk range. Due to the large number of positive samples, including samples outside the established focal area, emphasis will be placed on collecting samples from road-killed deer and sick or dead deer throughout northwest Arkansas in order to determine the extent of the disease’s distribution.

The latest test results were a blow to AGFC Chief of Wildlife Management Brad Carner. “This is not good news. We were hopeful that all positive samples would be contained within our focal area. That’s obviously not the case,” he said. “We also hoped to find a low prevalence rate in the test samples. We’re disappointed, but still focused on the job at hand,” Carner noted.

Landowners continue to be very helpful in allowing the AGFC access to their property, Carner says. “Much of the land within the zone where the agency is working is privately owned. We continue to ask for their help and help from anyone who sees a deer or elk that appears to be ill.”

The public can report sick deer and elk by calling 800-482-9262 or by email at cwdinfoagfc.ar.gov, 24 hours a day.
Although there are no confirmed cases of CWD transmission from cervids to humans or to livestock, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and the Arkansas Department of Health recommend that people not consume meat from animals known to be infected with CWD.

The AGFC is holding weekly public meetings in Jasper at Carroll Electric, 511 E Court St. The next meetings will be held March 24, 31 and April 7 beginning at 11 a.m.

Visit www.agfc.com/cwd for more information.
------------------------------------------------------------

I believe all of it copied.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's here you all are so F%^&ked your state as you knew it, is beginng to be non existant SORRY!!!

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mo -

I'm not so sure it's AS bad as you say. I've seen a map showing CWD in Western States and it's concentrated in some areas and less in other areas.

Also Elk & Deer hunting IS still happening in THOSE States.

I'll try to find that map at least give a link. Give me a little time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mo -

I found the pic of the Nat'l map per CWD. As you can see there are many States which have it and some of them are very popular States for Deer & Elk hunting.

This pic is FROM -**Wikipedia>>Chronic wasting disease **

[Linked Image]

As you can see there are SEVERAL States that have CWD plus some Canadian provinces and the Mid West & N E States at least to New York.

I'm NOT saying it's good but it's NOT the END of all cervids & hunting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
no it won't end but the $hit storm from fish and game going ape $hit batty with rules mandatory testing blah blah blah sometimes you might not care if you hunt or not worked for the idiots when it hit here

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mo -

How did deer hunting change in Mo. after CWD was confirmed ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely more worse!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is we will see some very liberal bag limits this year. The herd needs thinned in a huge area around the hot zone. Much of the elk herd will have to go too. I'm hoping it will be through hunting and not culling.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
My guess is we will see some very liberal bag limits this year. The herd needs thinned in a huge area around the hot zone. Much of the elk herd will have to go too. I'm hoping it will be through hunting and not culling.

Ain't that the truth ! ! !

IF, IF they don't allow the Elk to be HUNTED, I'll be **THROUGH** trying to help the AGFC. That's ALL I'll say about it but that says EXACTLY the way I feel.

I've been looking for recent Elk pop. #s and haven't found any estimates. In the article I posted, G&F said the locals were being cooperative. Since I don't live in the immediate area I don't have any idea what the pop. is.

I've been searching this AM and nothing new has been posted since yesterday.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Definitely more worse!

kingston -

? IF ? you are indicating to use 'more worse' THAN worser, that's okay. I said it to draw attention to the subject. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Now it's 4:20 pm and just checked AGFC and local news agencies and nothing new has been posted SINCE yesterday AM.

They said yesterday, that from the 260 animals, there "was a large batch of samples still in Wisconsin being/to be tested."

So we don't know the results of those samples yet. This is something of great interest and importance to the State, the AGFC, and hunters.

I glad no new cases have been reported.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Definitely more worse!

kingston -

? IF ? you are indicating to use 'more worse' THAN worser, that's okay. I said it to draw attention to the subject. smile

Jerry

You got my attention. I wouldn't have read this thread had it not been for your compelling diction. ;-)

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
kingston - then it worked. wink

A 'LITTLE' latest news.

AT 6:00 PM news last night Chanel 7 reported that the G&F had said,
"there is no need to make major changes to the hunting seasons."

They didn't give their source other than AGFC.

I sure hope that doesn't NEED to change.

There is nothing new on the 'interweb' per CWD as of now.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As of 9:00 AM today the AGFC hasn't issued anything new on CWD. I listen to the local news + check the Web site frequently to try to stay UP on any new data/releases.

So far no one has reported any new dead or sick animals seen and no results from the testing in Wisc.

ba,da, ba,da, that's all folks!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
eek

Today at noon the L R news says, " the AGFC now says there are 50 (FIFTY) cases of CWD confirmed. sick

All cases are found in the SAME 2 counties, Newton & Boone.

I'm gong to AGFC site to confirm or see if there is more to the story. If I find more info, I'll update this.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
From AGFC -

They confirmed the report of 50 cases.

SO FAR -- Only 3 Elk, the rest are WT.

The results of the last batch of 110 tests are expected late next week.

The next phase of testing will continue till May 20. They are asking the public to report ANY dead or sick deer seen anywhere Statewide.

There is an 800 phone # posted on AGFC, under latest news, cwd.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/01/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder what the sample size is outside of those 2 counties. It would be nice if it is contained in that area. I'm hoping to see 300-400 elk tags this fall offered to the public.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Jwall,

Colorado attempted to control CWD by thinning deer herds in Northeastern Colorado, and Wyoming by thinning herds in southeastern part of the state.
Colorado had very liberal seasons for an extended time (almost 10 years if I recollect).

It didn't work for either state.

Having said that, the prevalence of CWD in those populations have declined a bit in recent years, although it appears to still be spreading into other areas.

If anybody would like some info on CWD/TSE on deer and elk they can wade through this stuff:
http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/ResearchCWD-Articles.aspx

As one old timer here in Colorado said "We used to call it winter kill."

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I wonder what the sample size is outside of those 2 counties. It would be nice if it is contained in that area. I'm hoping to see 300-400 elk tags this fall offered to the public.

Kodiak - IF, I understand what AGFC has said, all those samples & sick/dead deer are IN those 2 counties.

All cases are found in the SAME 2 counties, Newton & Boone.
Jerry

However I found a statement that says "some positive samples have been found outside the "original sampling zone". That has led them to ASK for ANY/ALL dead-sick deer anywhere in the State to be reported.

The 'original sample zone' is ambiguous. Maybe the core area OR the 2 counties. I can't determine from their site.

AT this point - right now anyway- they are looking for dead/sick or road kill deer Statewide. They are trying to determine how far or IF there are any cases beyond Newton & Boone Co.

One day last week they said, " they weren't planning to change hunting seasons OR the harvest quota"..???

We'll have to wait and see now.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's hard for me to tell if all samples came from those 2 counties, or if just the positives came from them. If they have only taken samples from two counties, it's bound to be in more.

As far as not changing anything for hunting season, it wouldn't surprise me. They need to make some major changes to keep this from spreading to the whole state, but I'm sure they'll take the wait and see approach and do nothing.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Casey -

Yes, from what I've researched and the 'current CWD maps', there is STILL cwd in any area where it has been.

As you said, there are less cases but it's still there.

As to "Winter kill", we've ONLY had 1 Winter bad enough for some Winter kill. IIRC Christmas 99 & New Year's Day 2000 we had an ICE storm + record snow fall. All vegetation was covered in ice & snow for 2 weeks and we had some Winter kill. I was a member of a large deer lease and few members put out feed. Everywhere I went, I broke snow and made tracks. NO one else had been out.

Our next few seasons the population was noticeably down.

Thanks for your interest.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Kodiak -

Initially, they were to kill 300 elk/deer combined in a radius of Pruitt, near Jasper. All those came from Newton/Boone co. However there have been dead/sick deer reported since and AGFC has NOT said if any are outside those 2 counties.

Reading between the lines...IMO some are outside those 2.

I'd rather they proceed w/caution as to OVERreact.

Time will tell.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
More Bad News--Little Good News ! !

eek 6 MORE Cases confirmed --INSIDE the sample area. The following is from AGFC.

Six more cases of CWD found in Newton County

Date 04/01/2016
Description
JASPER – Six more deer from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s chronic wasting disease sampling effort have turned up positive, according to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Madison. This brings the total of CWD-positive cases of Arkansas deer and elk to 56. *<*

All six deer that tested positive came from **Newton County inside** the sampling focal area. The final results from the intensive sampling effort should be available late next week.

Although a true prevalence rate cannot be determined until the last of the samples come in, the high number of positive results has already prompted a second sampling effort to determine whether the disease is present in other parts of the state. AGFC biologists and wildlife officers will begin collecting samples from road-killed deer and any sick or dead deer reported throughout Arkansas.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From this release + what last week's leads me to 'believe' that so far (?) all CWD cases are within Newton & Boone Co. I certainly hope that is true but I am not certain of it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it should turn out to be contained to that area, it seems to me that It most likely came in with the stocked elk. We will never know for sure, but that would be my guess. I do hope that it is contained to that area but with people moving dead deer about and throwing away carcasses like they do, it is doubtful. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
miles -

I suspect that you may very well be right. We may never know for sure.

The only skepticism I have of that is, the stocking happened in the 'early 80s'. That info is in the first Elk Hunting regulation guide.

That has been at least 30 yrs. The info about CWD says that the it 'can lay dormant for decades', so it is possible.

Our best hope is that it is contained. I also have my doubts that it WILL BE contained but we can hope.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/03/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The following is an excerpt from the post on P 4 from AGFC.

"Last week, tissue samples from 49 deer and elk taken in and around*** the 125,000-acre focal area*** were sent to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Madison for testing. Out of the 18 positive deer samples,

***four were found just outside of the AGFC’s focal area.*** Those deer were either found dead or were killed by vehicles."
------------------------

The focal area was 125,000 acres +

4 outside of the focal area...

That info was posted by AGFC 3-24-16. I'm scouring back thru their releases to see if I've missed any stats and specifications about WHERE cwd has been found.

AT this point, either I'm reading with an optimistic outlook OR they have not been very specific.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/03/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Michigan went through the same thing this past year. One deer was reported that was showing symptoms. DNR killed it and it tested positive. So, they set up a core area and killed almost 1000 deer, costing about $1000 each to kill and test. Even after the hunting season and testing all the deer the hunter brought in from that county, 7 were positive out of over 5700 tested. This case could have very well happened without anyone even knowing about it, if the first deer was not in a residential area. There probably are core pockets of the disease here that nobody even knows about.

2012, EHD killed about 15,000 deer in central Michigan and people didn't get all panicked like they did from the original 3 this year with CWD.

Last edited by KenMi; 04/04/16.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ken -

Thanks for your input from Mi.

I found out since, that EHD is the most common disease among deer. It's transmitted by a biting insect called 'no seeums'. All deer w/EHD do not die, some recover and develop resistance against it.

There are some symptoms similar to both CWD & EHD. From what I read, all cervids infected will die from CWD.

I've heard 'some say' that more deer have been found dead w/CWD recently. HOWEVER the total still is 56 confirmed.
Apparently those reports were MIS info derived from the latest news of the 6 TEST RESULTS released.

Also NOTHING new has been released from AGFC as of NOW. 4/5/2016, Noon.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/05/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As of 1:30 pm, 4/07/2016 No other reports of positive CWD have been reported but...

I found a map of the "core area". It was on pdf and would not copy so I could move it here.

You can find it at AGFC, search CWD then P 2 "CWDCore Zone pdf".

As of NOW, all cases are spread around Newton Co. with 1 case in SE Carroll Co., & 2 cases in Boone Co.

In Newton Co. the cases are not all clustered together AND there are 3 cases spread in Southern Newton Co.

That's as good as I can describe it. The "corezonemap" pdf isn't hard to find.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I remember the winter of '99. Like you, when putting feed out on my lease, mine were the only tracks there.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
By Fooey ! There's always a Way! smile
If you can't take Jerry to the Mtn--Take the Mtn to JerrY grin

[Linked Image]

There are 2 more confirmed cases South in Newton Co. that I could not include in this shot!

With a smart phone or Ipad you can enlarge and move around for a better look.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
MORE BAD NEWS! ! ! eek

AGFC released today that 23 more cases of CWD have been confirmed. This bring the total to 79.

**So Far** only 3 of these are elk. The remaining are all WT deer. Also all of these new 23 cases came from Newton Co. & Boone Co.

They are still waiting on results from the others sent for testing. Also as of this release no other cases have been reported outside of this general area. At least that is a 'little' good news or less bad news.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
**So Far** only 3 of these are elk. The remaining are all WT deer.

This is beginning to sound more like somebody turned some pet deer loose at one time or another, than it coming in with the elk. I don't expect we will ever know, but I would sure like to know, how it all got started. miles

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe a buzzard ate some in missouri and puked in arkansas who knows, but it isn't going to get any better.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by milespatton

This is beginning to sound more like somebody turned some pet deer loose at one time or another, than it coming in with the elk. I don't expect we will ever know, but I would sure like to know, how it all got started. miles

Yes, I would like to know how/where it started, MAINLY so IF 'someone' or 'a privately owned deer herd owner' could be held accountable. That would not change things.

The last I checked, Ark game laws allowed an individual to legally keep 6 deer w/o a permit. If a larger herd is privately owned there are some regulations. ***That is the last I knew--it MAY have changed.***

I agree that we are NOT likely to find out.

The BEST thing to me SO FAR is that the Elk herd is not badly infected. I hope it stays that way.

Jerry

edit: fingers did not type what I was thinking. smirk

Last edited by jwall; 04/09/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Keeping deer has changed a lot. You can not start to keep deer but have to be Grandfathered in. Also Bucks and does have to be kept separated so they do not breed. That means that when what you have die, there will be no more pet deer. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have no problem with that.

Do you know when/@ when they changed that?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Keeping deer has changed a lot. You can not start to keep deer but have to be Grandfathered in. Also Bucks and does have to be kept separated so they do not breed. That means that when what you have die, there will be no more pet deer. miles

I did find that regulation in last yrs. (2015-2016) Hunting Guidebook. Also details and regulations requiring permits are at afgc Search--Captive Wildlife.

July 1, 2012 is when the new law went into effect. Any deer already in captivity prior to that date may be kept BUT as Miles stated they must be segregated by sex OR bucks must be neutered to prevent breeding.

There are way too many regulations to post here and there are many other species listed also regulated.

Thanks Miles for the update.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have been checking AGFC at least once/day and sometimes twice and SO FAR there have been no new releases. They said they were expecting more test results at the end of THIS week.

I also listen to the local TV stations, sometimes they get info before it's on the site.

The current no. of confirmed cases is 79. There are A LOT more samples they are waiting for the results.

Just keeping updated.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/16/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
AGFC released this yesterday 4-19-16 ?
I was on the site twice, AM & PM yesterday and didn't find this???

NOT SUCH BAD NEWS smile smile

-------------------------------------------
News Details

All News Items

First phase of CWD sampling reveals 23 percent prevalence rate in focal area

Date 04/19/2016
Description
JASPER – The first phase of chronic wasting disease sampling by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission revealed a 23 percent prevalence rate in Newton and Boone counties. Of 266 randomly collected wild deer, 62 were found to have the fatal disease.
Including the sampled area, the AGFC has received results of 82 animals with the disease. A total of 648 wild animals (619 white-tailed deer and 29 elk) have been sampled since laboratory results confirmed the disease Feb. 23, 2016. 79 deer and three elk were found to be positive.
-------------------------------------------------

82 animals confirmed w/CWD
619 WT--tested
29 Elk -tested

79 WT diseased
***ONLY Three Elk***diseased! ! ! YIIP...PEEE .. smile smile

They also said, All the animals diseased are in Newton & Boone Counties.

I know all testing is not over but this is a fair amount better than I anticipated.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well there is MORE !! smirk

Tonight L R -TV station reported 2 more cases of CWD but these are OUT of the targeted study area. 1 case confirmed in Madison Co. that is W from Newton Co, IIRC , and 1 case in Pope Co. that is S of the area.

Both of these are WT deer >> so NO other Elk have been found/confirmed SO FAR.

Tomorrow I'll get back on the AGFC site to see if there are any more details.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What!!! You think it's going to get better???????????????

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mohick
What!!! You think it's going to get better???????????????

Did I even IMPLY that? smirk

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well it took me a while to find this release. frown

-------------------------------------------------------

Phase 2 sampling reveals CWD positive deer in Madison and Pope counties

Date 04/25/2016
Description
LITTLE ROCK – The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission has received confirmation that two additional deer have tested positive for chronic wasting disease in Arkansas. A deer in Madison County and another deer in Pope County were positive for the fatal disease. Both deer were road kills that were reported by the public.

The Madison County deer was a 2½-year-old doe found near Kingston and 2.9 miles west of the CWD focal area. The Pope County deer was a 2½-year-old buck found 44.4 miles south of the focal area near London.

The two positive samples came from a batch of 131 deer sent to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Madison.

The first phase of chronic wasting disease sampling by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission revealed a 23 percent prevalence rate in Newton and Boone counties. Of 266 randomly collected wild deer, 62 were found to have the fatal disease.
--------------------------------------------------------

These 2 new cases came from Road Kill in 2 different counties than Newton & Boone. By their description they came from a long distance apart.

My perspective comes from the FACT we have tons more WT deer than Elk-------

SO FAR - only 3 Elk have tested positive--That's GOOD news. smile It could and may get worse...

I'm HOPING is doesn't turn into an epi/pan-demic problem.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Pope County deer was a 2½-year-old buck found 44.4 miles south of the focal area near London.

I fear with people in the past moving whole dead deer all around the state and then dumping the carcasses anywhere and everywhere, and the the lax rules on keeping tame deer, it is all over the State. I hope that I am wrong. miles

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You can find it anywhere, all you have to do is just go start looking and testing

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I fear with people in the past moving whole dead deer all around the state and then dumping the carcasses anywhere and everywhere, and the the lax rules on keeping tame deer, it is all over the State. I hope that I am wrong. miles

Yes we all hope it's not widespread. It is possible since we have had so many road killed deer and they weren't being tested. Since the first cases have been diagnosed AGFC has begun testing R K deer and these last 2 are positive.

I don't remember what yr w/o going thru my records but a few yrs back I killed a GAUNT buck which had shed its antlers and was infectious (there was green ooze coming out). In this case the deer had been SHOT earlier in the year, maybe during season ?.

Other than that I have not ever seen a deer that looked sick/weakened or that acted weird. Also I don't pick up road kill -- UNLESS I have killed them. grin

I just got off the AGFC site and nothing new has been posted per CWD since Monday. That could change at any time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The 'fit' is starting to hit the 'shan'!!

I couldn't find ANYthing about this on AGFC site BUT on our local ABC news station in L R, they interviewed an officer from AGFC and a local feed producer.

The AGFC is 'considering' banning BAITING of deer Statewide.

Now get this: In all these yrs AND in the last 2015-2016 Hunting Regulation handbook--there is NOTHING pertaining to 'baiting' deer. In yrs. past AGFC has stated "you can not 'bait' deer-meaning you could feed them but deer didn't respond to 'baiting'.

I've read that more than ONCE.

Nothing has been decided YET but they are talking about BANNING ,feeding/baiting deer because of CWD.

I USED TO use corn feeders but NEVER had a stand OVER one. I had them in areas where I hunted but never hunted a bait station. It will NOT affect me but I am/do NOT use feeders where I'm hunting.

It's the principle of the matter. They said,(past) you can't bait deer--NOW they're talking about banning baiting. crazy
all relating to CWD! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In my limited experience baiting is a waste of time for sitting over the bait, except for late season bow hunting. I have 1 feeder where I use rice bran that is a trough with a top to keep it dry, and a game camera. Very seldom do you see a deer in the day time. I keep feed in it year round and a salt lick near that. Others might have different views but that is what I see. I do not have a stand over the feeder. Where natural feed is scarce, baiting might work. I do not know. I do expect the AG&F to change a lot of rules, mostly just to make things seem like they are doing something. I think the only thing is to let it run its course. Deer will gather under their favorite Oak tree just like a bait pile, so nothing will be changed with baiting rules. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
miles -
I agree about "make it look like they are doing something".

The INconsistency about "baiting" and "can not" bait was too obvious.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
shocked. More Bad News. ! !

Just now at 10 PM news the AGFC says the no. of CWD cases is UP to 82.

That includes 4 MORE Elk. cry

They also listed a couple more counties. I've been busy today and haven't been on their site. So I'm not sure which counties are added. Tomorrow I'll try to find this latest report and post it.

Some of these ' I think ' came from road kill but I'm not sure how many came back positive from samples sent for testing.

Again, my biggest concern is the number of Elk.

More tomorrow.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, it's bad, and it's been here for quite a while. It's probably crossed the state borders as well.

I really hope they thin the elk herd. It could easily stand a 50% reduction, and would give a lot of in state hunters a chance at drawing. I'm not afraid to eat a healthy looking elk I butcher myself. I hope I get the chance.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I really hope they thin the elk herd. It could easily stand a 50% reduction, and would give a lot of in state hunters a chance at drawing.

If they decide to do that, it will be G&F personnel that will do the thinning. If you think they are in it for the people that pay their wages, think again. Since there is no cure, they just need to let nature take care of it. They will either die or develop immunity, but it is more fun for the G&F for them to kill the animals. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
kodiak -

I don't expect them to 'thin' the herd, at least thru public hunting. From what I've "read" from them, they are not 'expecting' to change the season or bag limit "for this year".

We'll see what they do.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This is ALL I've found from AGFC this AM.

CWD the topic of statewide public meetings this month

Date 05/06/2016
Description
LITTLE ROCK – Eleven public meetings will be held throughout the state May 24 and May 26 to discuss chronic wasting disease and the regulations being proposed by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission in an effort to manage the disease.

To date, 82 cases of CWD have been found in Arkansas deer and four more in elk. Currently, the disease has been detected in four counties: Newton, Madison, Pope and Boone. The AGFC continues to collect roadkill samples statewide to send off for testing out of state.
--------------------------------

I'll search more later today.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I found just a little bit more today: This was in the same release but several pp farther down.

05/06/2016
AGFC

The AGFC also has scheduled a one-hour broadcast on AETN at 8 p.m., May 23, with a panel discussion about CWD. The agency also will be sending CWD information and deer season regulation proposals by email to the state’s licensed hunters.

This public broadcast 'might' be informative.

I'm interested in the 'regulation proposals' they will post.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I really hope they thin the elk herd. It could easily stand a 50% reduction, and would give a lot of in state hunters a chance at drawing. I'm not afraid to eat a healthy looking elk I butcher myself. I hope I get the chance.

Here's why I don't think the public with get the chance to reduce the Elk herd in the name of CWD research/reduction.

Earlier this year the G & F took samples (killed) 300 deer & Elk to test for CWD.

I saw,read, heard NOTHING about special hunt permits for either species in the taking of these 300 animals. WHO do ya think had the JOB of hunting those deer/elk? smirk

IF they decide to reduce the Elk herd-- I HOPE, they open it so that the RESIDENT hunters have the 'privilege'.

I'm NOT holding my breath.

Whoever is allowed to 'harvest' these will 'somehow' have to wait for the tests results BEFORE being allowed to eat them.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/07/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whoever is allowed to 'harvest' these will 'somehow' have to wait for the tests results BEFORE being allowed to eat them.

If it was not looking sick when I shot it, and everything looked good while butchering, I would not be afraid to eat the boned meat. I would be careful about my boning technique. miles

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Miles

I agree BUT I was talking about the scenario IF we are allowed to hunt/kill Elk per the CWD testing....
I think 'they' would restrict/regulate the consumption till AFTER the test results were in.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
LOOK What I Noticed--- Posted on P 7

------------------------------------------------
Including the sampled area, the AGFC has received results of 82 animals with the disease. A total of 648 wild animals (619 white-tailed deer and 29 elk) have been sampled since laboratory results confirmed the disease Feb. 23, 2016. 79 deer and three elk were found to be positive.

619 WT--tested
29 Elk -tested

79 WT diseased

From yesterday:
To date, 82 cases of CWD have been found in Arkansas deer and four more in elk.
82 cases in WT

+ 4 MORE in elk
..................86 TOTAL cases//// 7 Elk total

Jerry

edited TWICE to edit: getting my 'stuff' together.

Last edited by jwall; 05/07/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
NOTHING NEW.

I've been checking AGFC frequently and listening to local TV news and I've seen/heard nothing new. However there is an interesting post per CWD in General Big Game forum. I thot I'd post it here for any interested that haven't read it on that forum.
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease Has Reached Europe [Re: mudhen]
KC Online content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Actually there is nothing new about Chronic Wasting Disease. It has been around since biblical times. It's just the name and identification that is new. CWD in wild cervids, mad cow disease, Scrapies in sheep and goats,

***and Creutzfelt Yakob disease in humans,***

are all the same disease. Scrapies has been around as long as men have herded sheep and goats. It's only that people are beginning to notice the rare disease in other animals and humans that it has become renown.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/nervou...ng_disease.html
"CWD is a member of the transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) family of diseases, or prion diseases, that includes bovine spongiform encephalopathy; scrapie of sheep and goats; transmissible mink encephalopathy; and kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), and variant CJD of people."

It's often associated with cannibalism. Creutzfeldt Yakob disease was first identified in the 19th century in native cannibals living in the south Pacific and east Indies. The cause of mad cow disease was identified as stemming from placing the remains of dead cattle in cattle feed.

It also seems to be more prevalent in herds of animals living in confined spaces. This leads researchers to believe that cannibalism is not the only means of transmission.

KC

The following short quote comes from The Wildlife Society News Bulletin:

IN this longer report Matthew Dunfee said,

"Because there's no known management technique to eradicate CWD, the name of the game is not to eradicate CWD, it is to manage it."

Mr. Dunfee goes on to talk about CWD in Arkansas.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This press release occurred yesterday. I'm trying to copy/paste only the pertinent parts of CWD.

Date 05/19/2016
Description
LITTLE ROCK – The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission approved general hunting regulations concerning small game, furbearers, migratory birds and turkeys for the 2016-17 hunting season at today’s meeting. They also heard the first proposals from wildlife management staff on a set of special proposals concerning deer hunting and management of chronic wasting disease in Arkansas.
---------------------------------------------------

Prohibit the feeding of wildlife statewide, with exceptions for bird feeders and other types of feeding that do not concentrate deer.

Allow deer and elk hunting with the use of bait Oct. 1-Dec. 31, statewide.

Prohibit the use of scents and lures that contain natural cervid urine, effective January 1, 2017.

Prohibit the rehabilitation of deer statewide.

Establish a CWD management zone in counties with known positives and those close to known positives.
Establish a private land CWD management program in the CWD management zone to allow **landowners** to take additional deer off their property to reduce deer density and slow the spread of the disease.

Prohibit the transport of certain portions of cervid carcasses outside the CWD management zone. This will allow only deboned meat, cleaned skull plates, hides, teeth and taxidermy products to be transported out of the CWD management zone.

Allow button bucks to be checked as antlerless deer in deer zones and WMAs within the CWD management zone.

>*Remove the three-point rule and increase the bag limit from four to five deer and the antlerless bag limit to three with firearms in deer zones 1 and 2.

Liberalize deer season on Bearcat Hollow, Buffalo National River, Gene Rush, Ozark National Forest, Piney Creeks, Sweden Creek Natural Area and White Rock WMAs.

Establish a core elk management zone of Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties,

and ---allow hunters to harvest any elk found outside these counties during deer season.---

-*-*Require all elk harvested to be submitted for CWD testing.
Increase the private land antlerless elk quota in the core elk management zone from 24 to 40.

Create a non-commercial hunting enclosure permit for high-fenced facilities, and require those facilities to submit CWD samples for all deer that die within the respective facility, allow annual inspections, and maintain accurate deer harvest records. There would also be a moratorium on the issuance of new permits after July 1, 2017.

>*>*>*All CWD-related proposals will be voted on in June, and Commissioners stressed that altering these proposals is still likely. ! ! !

Regulations concerning CWD management will be presented at public meetings throughout the state May 24 and 26, as well as a special live call-in show airing at 8 p.m., May 23 on AETN.

Meetings on May 24 and 26 also will be streamed live on the AGFC’s YouTube channel.

“One thing we know is we will not be successful without the support of deer hunters and the general public, said Steve Cook, chairman of the regulations committee. “If we fail to develop and implement an effective control program, we risk the future of deer hunting along with all of the social and economic benefits wild deer and elk provide to the people.”
--------------

There are a LOT of proposals of interest here and have NOT been enacted into game laws YET.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/20/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
There are 2 things in this latest press release I find interesting.

To allow ANY Elk outside of the 5 counties to be killed by licensed hunters During Deer season. I had not expected that possibility.

Also to increase the 'harvest' from 24 to 40 antlerless elk IN the private land Elk management area. That's new based upon AGFC saying they didn't anticipate an increase in the bag limit.

These things have not been adopted YET but it also indicates they are NOT considering a large reduction of the Elk population.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
There has been nothing new released this week from AGFC on the subject of CWD. However I was able to participate in a survey from AGFC on the Proposals listed above, released 5-19-16.

They asked a ? or 2 on each proposal and invited comments for EACH one. I answered from MY perspective and opinions SO I'm sure the majority will have different opinions. I don't know whether they will give any consideration or not but I took advantage of the opportunity.

First I suggested that 'feeding' not baiting be allowed December thru February to help deer/Elk during Winter. I reminded them of our ICE/SNOW Dec 99-Jan 2000.

Their opposition to rehabilitation focused on relocation of rehabbed animals to different counties. I suggested those animals be returned to their home counties.

I opposed the CWD management areas for PRIVATE landowners. I said I felt that would 'encourage' land owners to 'claim' ownership of said deer/elk. smirk

I opposed noticeably the legalization of 'button' bucks to be checked as 'antlerless' deer. I feel that would ONLY encourage MORE fawns, especially, buck fawns being killed. frown

This survey specified Elk killed out of the 5 counties named during deer season be 'antlerless' instead of ANY elk as listed in the proposal. I questioned WHY bulls could NOT be killed also.

I vigorously opposed ANY high fence hunting enclosure whether commercial or NOT!! mad

Those were the more important issues that I 'remember'. It may have been a waste of time effort but it made me FEEL better.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/28/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Here's the latest from AGFC on CWD proposals. The following proposals will be voted on 6/24/16.

The following is fairly long and I've edited it to pertinent info on CWD. I just learned of these newest - modified- proposals and haven't had time to scrutinize the list.

AGFC modifies proposals for CWD management

Date 06/16/2016
Description
EL DORADO –The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission heard modified proposals to help slow the spread of chronic wasting disease in Arkansas at its June meeting today at the El Dorado Chamber of Commerce.

“Almost all of the questions and concerns we have received focus on the elimination of supplemental feeding on a statewide basis,” said AGFC Chief of Staff Jeff Crow. “We have modified that proposal to only apply to the 10 counties in our proposed CWD management zone.”

The following modified proposals will be voted on during a June 24 special meeting of the Commission:

(>>>>10 counties in a CWD Mangesment Zone<<<<)
· Establish a CWD management zone consisting of Boone, Carroll, Johnson, Logan, Madison, Marion, Newton, Pope, Searcy and Yell counties.
· Prohibit feeding within the CWD management zone, except:
o Baiting will be allowed Oct. 1-Dec. 31 for hunting.
o Food plots will be allowed.
o Incidental feeding of wildlife during active livestock operations will be allowed.
o Backyard bird feeding will be allowed.
o Grain scattered or distributed from normal agricultural practices will be allowed.
o Feeding of wildlife by hand (e.g. ducks at the pond) will be allowed.
o Bait for AGFC-approved management, research and control of wildlife will be allowed.
· Issue extra deer tags to landowners within the CWD management zone, to help decrease deer density. Hunters using these tags will be required to submit samples of harvested deer for CWD testing.
· Deer and elk killed within the CWD management zone must remain within that zone, except:
o Deboned meat
o Cleaned skull plates
o Hides
o Teeth
o Taxidermy products
· Prohibit scents and lures containing natural deer urine statewide.
· Prohibit rehabilitation of deer statewide.
· Liberalize season structure on public and private land where CWD is present by lifting antler restrictions and increasing bag limits.

(>>>>STILL 5 Counties in a 'core' elk managemnt area<<<<)

· Establish a core elk management area consisting of Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties.
o Hunters outside of the core elk management zone may take <<<any elk >>>they see while deer hunting with a limit of one elk, either sex.
o Increase the quota on private land elk hunting within the core elk management zone.
· All elk harvested statewide must be submitted for CWD testing.
· Create a non-commercial hunting enclosure permit for all high-fence deer facilities.
o Require CWD samples from all deer that die in these facilities.
o Require annual inspections in these facilities.
o Require facilities to maintain accurate harvest records.
o No new permits will be issued after July 1, 2017.
The Commission is expected to make an official vote on these regulations during a special meeting June 24. The Commission will continue to accept public comments on proposed regulations via online survey at www.agfc.com.

In other business, the Commission:

· Elected Fred Brown of Corning commission chairman and Steve Cook of Malvern commission vice-chairman, effective July 1, 2016;

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This afternoon I checked AGFC for any news on CWD. There was NO new release at all. Tonight at 10 PM, Little Rock TV 7 reported that AGFC passed 12 of the proposals but didn't list them.

Tomorrow I'll check to see IF they have published the details. It's aggravating to me that there will be nothing on their web site and the news media will report developments before AGFC posts them on the site.

We'll see what I can find in the AM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Sure Enuff the new details of their meeting and proposals were on the site, 'dated' 6/24/16

AGFC passes special regulations to slow disease

Date 06/24/2016
Description
LITTLE ROCK – Commissioners voted unanimously today during special meeting to approve a Chronic Wasting Disease Management Zone made up of Boone, Carroll, Johnson, Logan, Madison, Marion, Newton, Pope, Searcy and Yell counties.

CWD has been found in--- five of these counties--- since first being discovered in Arkansas in late February. The AGFC has circulated proposals to slow the spread of the disease for the last month through 11 public meetings throughout the state, a live call-in show on AETN and an electronic survey at agfc.com.

Feeding wildlife will be prohibited within the 10-county CWD management zone. However, baiting for the purpose of hunting will be allowed September 1 through December 31, when more than 95 percent of Arkansas’s deer harvest takes place.

“We opened the time frame up slightly to include September because we have three urban hunts within the CWD management zone which open in September,” said Brad Carner, AGFC chief of wildlife management. “Baiting is a useful tool to increase the harvest in these areas where we need to reduce deer density.”

Food plots are not included in the feeding prohibition, nor are backyard bird-feeding stations, hand-feeding of wildlife or normal agricultural or livestock practices.

The AGFC will issue--- extra deer tags--- to landowners near known CWD-positive cases to help reduce deer density.

“Landowners do not have to harvest additional deer, but samples from all deer harvested through these CWD management tags will be required.” Carner said.

Transportation of deer and elk harvested within the CWD management zone also will be restricted. Only deboned meat, cleaned skulls, antlers, teeth, hides and taxidermy products may be removed from the CWD management zone.

“Hunters will be allowed to transport the whole deer or elk within the 10-county zone to take them home or to a processor, but will not be allowed to leave the zone with anything but the approved portions of the animal,” Carner said.

Hunting limits will be increased within deer zones where CWD has been found. An additional doe will be allowed during modern gun season--- and the three-point rule will be removed in those zones (deer zones 1 and 2)--- to help increase harvest. Button bucks in those zones will be counted as antlerless deer to promote harvest.

Scents and lures using natural deer and elk urine will be prohibited statewide.

The rehabilitation of deer will be prohibited statewide. Recent research has indicated that at least 75 percent of rehabilitated fawns die within 100 days of release. With only 100 or so fawns rehabilitated per year, such low survival was not enough to warrant the risk of spreading CWD throughout the state.

“With CWD being present in yearlings we’ve sampled, it’s possible that a fawn infected with CWD may go to a rehabber and be reintroduced to a new area and spread the disease,” Carner said. “It’s also possible that the fawn may contaminate the facility and any deer rehabbed there later could get the disease.”

Hunters outside of Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties--- may now harvest any elk they see during regular deer hunting season with a limit of one, either sex.--- This is to contain the elk to the current range and prevent them from spreading CWD to any new areas. All hunters who kill elk will be required to submit a sample for CWD testing as well.

A proposal to create a non-commercial hunting enclosure permit for high-fence deer facilities was tabled.

All in all - CWD has ONLY been found in 5 counties (so far). Since they've been sampling road killed deer in a much larger area, I think this is good news.

The only thing I am not happy about is button bucks IN the CWD zone will be counted as 'antlerless' deer. At least that is NOT statewide.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hope we don't get it in Texas. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah but we all know that there will be hunters that will not follow along, and bone out their meat before hauling it to another part of the State, and then throw the bones on the side of the road somewhere or off of a bridge. It is just a matter of time now before it spreads. People will see to it, regardless of how much it is explained to them. miles

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
you can bet you already got it just haven't found it yet!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr
I hope we don't get it in Texas. powdr
It's actually been confirmed in a few mule deer just south of the New Mexico line near White Sands Missile Range. The only confirmed cases in New Mexico are from WSMR and the adjacent Organ Mountains.

Since there are no cases north of there in New Mexico, I am pretty sure that someone was transporting mule deer from Colorado to a captive breeding facility in Texas. I suspect that by the time they got to southern New Mexico, they noticed that they had some sick animals. They either pulled off of I 25 south of Las Cruces or went over San Augustin Pass and kicked them out on the missile range.

The first ones that were seen had wandered into the housing areas and were actually leaning up against buildings, so they were acclimated to people. Naturally, they interacted with native deer before they died, and we now have a population in Dona Ana and Otero counties in New Mexico, and in the adjacent counties in to the south in west Texas that have infected animals.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mudhen

The first ones that were seen had wandered into the housing areas and were actually leaning up against buildings, so they were acclimated to people. Naturally, they interacted with native deer before they died, and we now have a population in Dona Ana and Otero counties in New Mexico, and in the adjacent counties in to the south in west Texas that have infected animals.

I'm sorry to hear this and especially 'how' it came to you!! IMO that's pretty sorry of someone to do that. I know, $$$ but that's a blatant disregard for deer etc.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
LOOK What I Noticed--- Posted on P 7

------------------------------------------------

619 WT--tested
29 Elk -tested

79 WT diseased

From yesterday:
To date, 82 cases of CWD have been found in Arkansas deer and four more in elk.
82 cases in WT

+ 4 MORE in elk
..................86 TOTAL cases//// 7 Elk total

Jerry

edited TWICE to edit: getting my 'stuff' together.

BUMP --
This is posted on P 8 of this thread.

86 Total cases -- 7 Elk total

Nothing new has been released by AGFC since, AFAIK
--statistical--

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/27/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you know what your dealing with.. Its no joke best to know your enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I talked with a long time friend & hunting partner this morning. Each Fall he and his wife go to Newton Co. Ar, the heart of the CWD core area. They go and spend the weekend watching ELK as they feed and interact with with each other.

While there one evening, there were many elk, bulls and cows in the area they were watching. While watching the Elk he saw a Doe W T come thru some tall gras in the field. She walked slowly up to the fence - not hi fence - turned and walked away from them. He took his binos and checked out the doe. He could count every rib and see the backbone very well.

She came reasonably close to people on the road who were also watching Elk. She turned around and came back the same way she had gone. As she approached my friends, he could see drool, saliva, streaming from her mouth as long as he could see her.

She 'never' took one bite of grass or anything else.

Aside and worse than the doe being diseased, she was RIGHT THERE with a good sized herd of Elk.

My friend said there were about 14 bulls of different sizes and about 30 cows and yearlings. He said the BIG bulls really put on a show sparring and fighting. They had a good time except for seeing that sick doe.

-- this was on Private Property and only a limited no. of elk permits are allocated for Private Land. --

sick sick
cry cry

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/11/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
That can't be good.

Monday just before daylight coyotes took down that yearling buck that was hanging around. Haven't seen anymore that are showing the disease.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well I found this chart that has been recently posted. I notice they say 5 (five) cases of CWD have been 'confirmed' in ELK.

As I followed this earlier it seems the total was 7 (seven) so I don't know what changed.

The following info from AGFC.com and they dated it Sept.23, 2016

Approved Chronic Wasting Disease Regulations
Map of CWD samples taken through Sept. 23, 2016. Click on image for larger view.
Positive CWD cases found as of Sept. 23, 2016
County CWD-positive deer CWD-positive elk

Newton 94 5
Boone 5 0
Carroll 3 0
Madison 1 0
Pope 1 0
Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So what happens when the coyote poops out the CWD infected deer it ate? What about the prions in the soil where it laid? The prions are the real problem, and there's no known way to get rid of them.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's what CWD has done to hunting and land values in MO:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/cwd-fears-overshadow-outdoor-event

You can expect the same when (not if) it gets to your area.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
An update, one of the people interviewed has sold his deer hunting property and stays in Jefferson City, MO now that he and others like him ruined the deer hunting by doing the MO DNR's bidding and killing 21 deer in four days.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Must be part of the reason there has been extra interest in hunting property down here in my area. Always ask who is interested ,answer is always "someone from up north". Guess they don't realize the problem will be here also!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hunters are like fisherman. They always think there's some secret lure, bait or spot that will be a private goose that lays the golden eggs. It's just not going to happen. This is a country wide issue. If an area does not have it, they will. It is already in many places, it just has not been discovered-yet. Yes, you will have it by you. It is in Arkansas and heading North.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Carl -

It was in Mo. before diagnosed in Ar.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm referring to Southern MO. Everyone made like it was only in the North. It's in the North headed South and South headed North. Maybe it was discovered in MO first, who knows? Not going to try and split that hair.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
carlm - And I'm NOT trying to split hairs either. I posted the following pic on P 4, 3-24-16. AT that time CWD was not identified in Ark. at/on wikipedia--CWD.

I'm not referring to South Mo, just in general.

Mo -
I found the pic of the Nat'l map per CWD.
This pic is FROM -**Wikipedia>>Chronic wasting disease **

[Linked Image]
Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/24/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My response was to Mohick who is in MO. Is Arkansas next to Southern MO? Where did I say it was in Arkansas before Missouri?

Last edited by carlm; 10/24/16.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by carlm
My response was to Mohick who is in MO. Is Arkansas next to Southern MO? Where did I say it was in Arkansas before Missouri?

Originally Posted by carlm

Yes, you will have it by you. It is in Arkansas and heading North.

Maybe my interpretation ?

No Problem man.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No problem here either. Did not mean to offend anyone. CWD is everyones problem.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
BUMPED this thread for INFO per MI bans baiting:

IF you start on P 1 there is a lot of INFO per CWD in this thread.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.