Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
How many times have we seen that, or some version of it, plastered all over the cover of a hunting/shooting magazine?

We have a handful of different deer species/types here in North America. Whitetail, blacktail, mule deer and variations of those. Yes, I'm leaving out elk, moose, caribou, zebra and unicorns.

Arguments rage. Tempers flare. Thousands are spent on new rifles. New cartridges. New bullets! Handloaders tinker with loads, refining them from .55" groups to .50" groups and rejoicing! Water jugs are blown up, punctured, defiled. Ballistic gel is smashed. Engineers and marketing types debate over the best color of plastic tip to adorn the latest bullet... Rifles are made in stainless, blued, and even camo-dipped finishes....

It's all kind of silly. But an awful lot of fun. Deer fall, as they always have, to a well placed hit. From pretty much anything. Personally, I have used, or seen used:

.223 Rem
.243 Win
6mm Rem
.25-06
.257 Wby
.270 Win
7mm Rem mag
.30-30
.30-06
.300 magnums of various designations
.350 Rem mag (kind of a short, belted Whelen?)
.44 mag revolver
.45 ACP 1911
.45/70
.50 muzzle loader
12 ga slug

The remarkable thing about that list? The deer all made it to the freezer, just fine. No cartridge failures. No bullet failures. Just meat on the table, and antlers on the wall if so equipped.

Pick the rifle, handgun, shotgun that makes you smile when you pick it up, when you just think about taking it afield, and in which you have confidence.

There ya go - Guy being realistic this morning. Meanwhile, back to coffee!

Guy

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
[Linked Image]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GuyM
How many times have we seen that, or some version of it, plastered all over the cover of a hunting/shooting magazine?

We have a handful of different deer species/types here in North America. Whitetail, blacktail, mule deer and variations of those. Yes, I'm leaving out elk, moose, caribou, zebra and unicorns.

Arguments rage. Tempers flare. Thousands are spent on new rifles. New cartridges. New bullets! Handloaders tinker with loads, refining them from .55" groups to .50" groups and rejoicing! Water jugs are blown up, punctured, defiled. Ballistic gel is smashed. Engineers and marketing types debate over the best color of plastic tip to adorn the latest bullet... Rifles are made in stainless, blued, and even camo-dipped finishes....

It's all kind of silly. But an awful lot of fun. Deer fall, as they always have, to a well placed hit. From pretty much anything. Personally, I have used, or seen used:

.223 Rem
.243 Win
6mm Rem
.25-06
.257 Wby
.270 Win
7mm Rem mag
.30-30
.30-06
.44 mag revolver
.45 ACP 1911
.45/70
.50 muzzle loader
12 ga slug

The remarkable thing about that list? The deer all made it to the freezer, just fine. No cartridge failures. No bullet failures. Just meat on the table, and antlers on the wall if so equipped.

Pick the rifle, handgun, shotgun that makes you smile when you pick it up, when you just think about taking it afield, and in which you have confidence.

Guy

I would pick .308... because its smack dab in the middle of the list!

It has some velocity, has some mass, most people shoot it well, it comes in many rifles and different actions, affordable to shoot, lots of accurate components from target shooting industry... Plenty of power for a deer, but no one questions if its enough.

Plus it one of my favorites! In a bolt action or one of my sexy curvy savage 99's ;-)

PS. .300 savage is acceptable in a sexy curvy savage 99 too. Little less recoil, just as effective. I shouldn't have sold my savage 99 .300 ;-(

Last edited by humdinger; 02/26/16.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For deer and smaller, I would go 257 Roy

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Even though I use a 308 or 30-06 for just about everything up here, I've often thought that for a dedicated deer cartridge you couldn't do much better than a 260/7-08 in a short action or a 270/280 in a long action.

IC B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You forgot the 280RSM (7-08)! I've taken them with 270, 7-08, 30-06, and hope to soon take one with a newly acquired 308.

Pick one right now, 270...but I'm glad that I don't have to confine myself to just one.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Maybe not the best deer cartridge, but I've used a 270 when hunting whitetails for the last 40 or so years....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best one is the one you have in hand when there is a deer encountered that needs shooting.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot deer with bullets from .243" to .458" in diameter, and really didn't notice a lot of difference in the effect.

I generally lung-shoot, the deer bucks and runs 20 to 50 yards, and dies.

The smaller bullets leave lesser blood trails.

Speedy bullets screw with them in a big way. These are the ones that seem to get the most reaction to the shot, and the shorter runs. They also destroy more meat, but that's a trade-off that's part of the deal.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's the gun itself more than the cartridge for me. I have several that have not been christened but I like to shoot, so not sure if they will be a new favorite. It's plain Jane but I would not want to be without an 06 for deer hunting. If I was advising a new hunter though for a deer cartridge for most hunting ranges, it would be a 7-08. The one I owned is gone now and only got one deer with it but I think it's a nice balance of power, bullet weight, and low recoil.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Even though I am a .257 Roberts fan I agree that the .257 Weatherby is a fine quarter bore and an excellent deer cartridge especially for longer shots and mule deer. The cartridge I have used most in the deer woods is the .35 Whelen loaded with 225 gr. Sierra or Noslers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, it is something of .25cal to .30cal shooting a spitzer of moderate BC and SD between 110 and 160 grains at a speed between 2,700 and 3,100fps. In a bolt action, the middle of the road would be a .260 or 7mm-08 (short action) or .270 (long action). All three of those, or their ballistic equivalents with alternate headstamps, say "deer rifle" to me.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Most of my deer have been taken with a 7 mag or 25-06 but that being said my Daughter Sandi has taken 3 Bucks in the last 3 years on public land in CA (which is not an easy task) wiht a Tikka compact 7mm-08. All one shot kills. Finally had to break down and get one and love it.

Last edited by coyote268; 02/26/16.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have shot deer with everything from the .22LR though my .45-70.. Plan to shot one with my .375 H & H this fall just because.. My favorite deer cartridges are the the .30's..
.30-30, .300 Sav., .30-06, and the various .300's..

I also have a soft spot for my current .270 and my late wife's old 7mm Rem. mag.. Have a 7mm-08 and have used it on several deer and some antelope.. But I would have to say I like the old .300 Savage better..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite is the 250-3000 Savage loaded with 100 grain Win. Silvertips.
Has always worked good for me. Thin skin deer can't swim out of it if heart or lung shot. Especially a quarting away shot.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

LDB Offline
For me it is a 300 Win because it is rare (never) that there is not at least the possibility of seeing something besides a deer that needs shot at, might be a coyote or wolf at extended range, could be a grizzly or black bear that has a bad attitude and lord knows with all those sasquatch out there running around a potent weapon is certainly in order any time one takes to the field. The biggest reason is that most times I am hunting deer I have an elk tag in my pocket too. If I ever start hunting in a place with no bears, lions, wolves, elk or sasquatch I may consider something else, but I doubt it... I know OP said elk was not part of the conversation but out here it is hard to talk deer hunting without mentioning elk and sasquatch, anyway the 300 gets the nod for me based on versatility...

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Obviously you and your friends have just been lucky to shoot old deer just as they toppled over from old age or some other malady as you did not list a single 6.5 caliber round or the 7x57 or my favorite the .257 Roberts . What are you some sort of dandy that gets his picante sauce from New York City ???

Last edited by bangeye; 02/26/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Taking meat wastage into consideration, yet still wanting a good blood trail, for me the .358 is the best I've used for my close-range blacktail killing.

In more open terrain I'm enamoured with the 7 WSM. Very capable cartridge to say the least, and in a short action as a tangible bonus.

But as the OP says......... pick one, lace up the boots, and go hunting. I could've killed every animal I've killed with the first hunting rifle I ever bought, a 30-06. And my wallet would be bursting with all the money I didn't spend since then, screwing around with rifles <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
308 Win

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bea175
308 Win

This. Its available in GI surplus form for as low as fifty cents/round. Affordable practice.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Trick question. smile

There is no "best deer cartridge".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

.223 Rem
.243 Win
6mm Rem
.25-06
.257 Wby
.270 Win
7mm Rem mag
.30-30
.30-06
.44 mag revolver
.45 ACP 1911
.45/70
.50 muzzle loader
12 ga slug

Guy

Oh, Guy! You just had to get them going didn't you? grin

Last edited by basdjs; 02/26/16.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
The best one is the one you have in hand when there is a deer encountered that needs shooting.

That's pretty succinct and accurate.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Howdy Guy -

I had to travel today to a family funeral, but I almost had time to post this shortly after you initiated this thread.

THE best deer cartridge is the one IN MY HANDS when I hunt. whistle

I refuse to 'own' or 'hunt' an inferior cartridge. grin

That's as far as I'm going. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
What ever is in your hands when hunting deer.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by NTG
You forgot the 280RSM (7-08)! I've taken them with 270, 7-08, 30-06, and hope to soon take one with a newly acquired 308.

Pick one right now, 270...but I'm glad that I don't have to confine myself to just one.

I didn't forget a doggone thing - my list is only of those I've either personally used, or have personally witnessed being used.

Regards, Guy

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bangeye
Obviously you and your friends have just been lucky to shoot old deer just as they toppled over from old age or some other malady as you did not list a single 6.5 caliber round or the 7x57 or my favorite the .257 Roberts . What are you some sort of dandy that gets his picante sauce from New York City ???

Laughin' here. That's awesome!

You're right, I've NEVER seen a 6.5 of any kind, or a 7x57 or a .257 Roberts kill a deer! I am sure that they're all fine deer killers too.

Obviously, I need to get out more... grin

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 7mm-08 has to be close to ideal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
A 7mm-08 has to be close to ideal.

Yeah - IF it wasn't in a midget case! whistle
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=bangeye] Obviously you and your friends have just been lucky to shoot old deer just as they toppled over from old age or some other malady as you did not list a single 6.5 caliber round or the 7x57 or my favorite the .257 Roberts . What are you some sort of dandy that gets his picante sauce from New York City ???

Laughin' here. That's awesome!

You're right, I've NEVER seen a 6.5 of any kind, or a 7x57 or a .257 Roberts kill a deer! I am sure that they're all fine deer killers too.

Obviously, I need to get out more... grin

Regards, Guy

Seriously I havne to agree with you 100%. My response on the subject of suitable deer rifles is you can kill them with about any centerfire cartridge the hard part is finding one to shoot at.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ah yep.
Shot a bunch with 8x57, .260, 7x57, 6.5x55,.20ga, and .54 ML too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My current favorites are 220Swift, 220 Wilson Arrow, 240Wby, and 257Wby. Of course, these are the 4 cartridges I own in Pre-64 Model 70s.

Coincidence?

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Little or big, fast or slow, it doesn't matter. Close your eyes and pick one. The only acquaintances who toted rifles more "magnum-fied" than '06's were also coincidentally the guys who had the most trouble knocking them down for keeps- because they were afraid of their rifles and couldn't shoot them worth squat. One fella I knew swore by his shiny Weatherby .300Mag. I witnessed him swoop down on a deer he had wounded that was trying to get back up, and since he didn't want to waste another of those expensive cartridges, whipped out his Bowie knife (of course a guy like that carries a Bowie knife) with the intention of cutting its throat. I bet that dumbass still carries the scars from that encounter. That 4-point wrestled him all over the hill side!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My pals and I have killed a bunch of deer with various magnum rifles.. And a bunch with non magnum rifles.. The mag.s, do have advantages, but you have to be able to shoot them also.. That takes some work.. The greatest crippler of game and all around poor shot I ever knew, shot a .243 or 6mm..
The two most outstanding deer hunters I knew at times used magnums, not always but at times.. They knew the advantages and could use them.. But these guys were also deer hunters.. They could track, still hunt or use a stand on the ground.. Both killed a number of deer in their beds while still hunting.. That takes some skill in the heavily hunted eastern mountains..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wyo...thats a case of the Indian and not the arrow. Collectively the worst missers/wounders Ive seen were all shooting a 7 Mag.
Wonderful cartridge...just in the wrong hands.

A .243 for deer would honestly be my pick...but again, it depends on whose hands its in.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by diamondjim
[Linked Image]

Yep!

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
257 Roberts
7x57
264 Winnie
30-06
300wsm
300 Weatherby
338-06AI
338 win mag
350 Rem Mag
358 Norma mag
375 Ruger

I think that is all on my list. I think the 350 magnum is probably my favorite, although it won't go the distance of some of the others. It usually knocks them flat and doesn't wreck hardly any meat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
There is no such thing as the best deer cartridge. My favorite is the .30-30 Winchester. It'll do all that ever needs doing to any deer in the woods and the woods is the only place I hunt them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For myself, they one I got deer with last year.. They all can work for the most part. The one I have taken the most deer with? A 8x57 WWII Mauser with a peep site.. Second would be a CZ550 in 9.3X62.. My favorite? A 6.5X55 Swede. Depends on the year and the hunting area. They are all good when one gets meat in the freezer..

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I guess that would be relative to the era, climate, ranges, and size of the deer.

These scrawny hill country deer, well maybe a 223 or 22-250 would be all you need. Shooting under a feeder at know distances makes them shine.

Now go to the subzero, wind swept prairies with knee deep snow, then you might want a 300 mag. It's hard to get close to them in that crunchy snow.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
308, 270, 6.5 X 55, 7 X 57, 7-08 it's a push. In the past 20 years of keeping records I have used 18 assorted cartridges to take whitetails from the 6mm's up to an including a 375 H&H. I'm a recovering magnum-a-holic and so I try to manage my condition better of late.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting thread.

I seem to differ from the rest of you in that I couldn't care less if I had to use a brick to belt them over the head...probably should be pleased I do not have to though as a bag full of bricks carried for a days hunting would soon wear upon ones resolve.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
There are a lot of best cartridges. Depending on where and what kind of terrian. I have shot a lot of deer with calibers from .243-.300win mag. My two favorites have become .260 and 7-08 in a 5.5 pound rifle. Short compact and light. With federal Fusions the Deer are DRT 99% of the time. And when they not they'd only go a few yards. little meat damage with great terminal ballistics. Little recoil they are a Dream to shoot and being very very accurate. JMHO

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
6.5 Jap.

Duh!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
270 wby. Not that you need much power to kill a deer. But in South Texas where I hunt, you don't want to have took for him. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
270 wby. Not that you need much power to kill a deer. But in South Texas where I hunt, you don't want to have took for him. Hasbeen

Yep, we all know how well armored them 150# corn fed TX bucks are.

Seriously dude, do you really think a 270 Webby actually kills a whitetail any faster than a 308 with BT's, Scenars, or Bergers?

I understand it shoots a bit flatter and will have a Max PBR a little further out, so if that is your goal, due to hunting Senderos, that makes sense, but "killing power"?

Last edited by Bluemonday; 02/29/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Wyo...thats a case of the Indian and not the arrow. Collectively the worst missers/wounders Ive seen were all shooting a 7 Mag.
Wonderful cartridge...just in the wrong hands.

A .243 for deer would honestly be my pick...but again, it depends on whose hands its in.

Absolutely!

Nearly any CF cartridge will kill deer handily within that cartridge's range of effectiveness. I've killed a bunch with a .243, and never lost a deer wounded with the cartridge.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

Seriously dude, do you really think a 270 Webby actually kills a whitetail any faster than a 308 with BT's, Scenars, or Bergers?

I understand it shoots a bit flatter and will have a Max PBR a little further out, so if that is your goal, due to hunting Senderos, that makes sense, but "killing power"?

Works for me . I hate thorns and snakes . Like my deer DRT. All the country looks alike. Really hard to find if the run a little way. How many S Texas hunts have you been on. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
6mm

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The one you have the most confidence in OR the one you have at the time. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

This in spades.

Don't have a favorite so to speak, though I"m somewhat partial to my tackdriving 308 and my suppressed 300/221 lately.

One due to extreme accuracy, other due to quietness...

Deer are not hard to kill, if legal a 22lr would likely be high on my list of meat guns...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My favorite is 308 with 150 grain flat base interlocks.

The buck I shot this year was with a 223 with handloaded 65 grain Sierra Gamekings. I used it because I had just bought the rifle and had too many people telling me that I'd lose deer if I shot it with a 223. The handloads were actually made for an AR I had. I didnt have enough time to work up a load with anything else. I just grabbed a handful and shot a 1" group and went hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Like my deer DRT.

Then you should try a Berger Hunting VLD in 243 or larger, high shoulder shot.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P

No kidding..... My little .260 drops them DRT every time. And these are Wisconsin swamp Bucks..... Much much larger than those tiny Texas Fawns, oops deer. But, if big gun helps than more power to you...... To each their own...

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For all around deer hunting my initial response is the 25-06. Covers just about all the bases. But I do have a fondness for the 7mm-08 that we got for my stepson..

Hunt...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd throw my hat to a .308 with 150gr cup and core, but really its bullet/slug placement that does, or doesn't do the job with all in your list.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I started hunting with a .308 back in the early 70's back then many considered the 180 grain bullet was best. I took the best deer I have ever harvested with a Hornady 180 grain RN bullet. I later switched to the 165 grain bullet and used that for as long as I hunted with the .308, it always produced a clean kill.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Like my deer DRT.

Then you should try a Berger Hunting VLD in 243 or larger, high shoulder shot.

Speed helps kill... so you say the fast 270 ain't it.... but dredge up a fast 243.... WTF.

DRT is always about shot placement to be 100%. Nothing more or less.

I shoot 308 a LOT with bergers... I've yet to see a DRT... FWIW... but then I shoot lungs and don't like wasting meat on shoulder/high shoulder shots...

I should clarify, I see a LOT of DRT with the 308 when I want to, but thats due to head shots.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
rost, well said. Shot placement is what causes DRT.. I have to smile when I hear some of these comments.. Hunting antelope one gets to see clearly the reaction of the animal to the shot most of the time.. Deer often are hidden quickly by brush or trees.. A high shoulder shot puts them down, but as you pointed out ruins some meat.. A lung shot mostly involves the animal moving some distance..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you don't disrupt CNS< its not DRT. Simple as that.

YOu can get DRT, IE dying in place and not moving, at other times but its not 100% reliable.

Just when we started to believe the 257 wtby had some magic to it, and no deer we had shot had gone over 20 steps.... bingo my buddy and I each shot one that went well over 100.... You never know. And then this past fall I shot the biggest buck I"ve ever seen, he did not make it 20 steps... like I said you never know. At least my buddy was happy I used the 257 instead of the suppressed gun since he was truly once in a lifetime buck.

I operate on the theory that an animal is going to run unless I"m head shooting. I prepare for that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rost495

YOu can get DRT, IE dying in place and not moving, at other times but its not 100% reliable.

The inferior vena cava is the largest blood vessel in mammals, it is a very thin-walled, low pressure vessel that returns all of the blood from the lower body back to the heart. If you puncture it, you get an instantaneous/marked drop in blood pressure. Google Starling's Law to understand this.

A Berger, placed on or right behind the shoulder, will most often produce enough fragment to puncture the vena cava or the aortic arch, which will have the same result but probably take a few second longer for B/P to drop enough for the animal to go down.

You are correct that "speed kills", that makes modern bullets perform, but once you have enough for the bullet to work (IE 308) more ain't any better.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have used from 20 gauge pumpkin balls (slugs)up to 300 WSM for White Tail; my favorite has been either my 25-06 or 7mm-08.

Now with the loads\bullets for the 6.5 Creedmoor available I could easily go with a 6.5C...

Ted
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
an efficiency expert will tell u that the best would be one that uses the least powder to do the job. so the short action calibers have the advantage. 308,7mm08,260,243, types.personally i now after 54 years of deer hunting use a 270,but the only mag i have ever used is a 7mm mag ,but just 1 year,i did use a 25-06 for 15 years,and a 30-06 for 10 years

Last edited by thomasgajan; 03/01/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

The inferior vena cava is the largest blood vessel in mammals, it is a very thin-walled, low pressure vessel that returns all of the blood from the lower body back to the heart. If you puncture it, you get an instantaneous/marked drop in blood pressure. Google Starling's Law to understand this.

A Berger, placed on or right behind the shoulder, will most often produce enough fragment to puncture the vena cava or the aortic arch, which will have the same result but probably take a few second longer for B/P to drop enough for the animal to go down.

You are correct that "speed kills", that makes modern bullets perform, but once you have enough for the bullet to work (IE 308) more ain't any better.

243 netted me more non CNS DRT shots by FAR than I've EVER seen out of my 308. And I can shoot better with the 308 than I was capable of with the 243.....

185 berger around 2500 fps in 308 is more destruction almost than I care for.

I don't care if the deer skips off anyway, I actually prefer it that way even more now that I have a dog that trails... keeps him on his toes. Might have even thought about hitting a few a bit further back just for practice but luckily others that I hunt with manage that without trying...

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Federal fusion 120's in the chest is almost always DRT..... Right behind the shoulder. I hate to ruin meat. I like neck shots also. Wished they would sell them to reloaders. Hard to find sometimes.

Last edited by Pstores; 03/01/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some days I wish there WAS just one. Then again, there would only be 2 threads on this website.

"What did you get?"

"Fight with Big Stick"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No. 1 -

If you don't disrupt CNS< its<< not>> DRT. Simple as that.

YOu<< can>> get DRT, IE dying in place and not moving, at other times but its not 100% reliable.

No. 2.

243 netted me <<more non CNS DRT>> shots by FAR than I've

EVER seen out of my 308.

I started to point this out this afternoon BEFORE the last post, but this one did it.

EITHER you can get DRT without CNS or you can not.

Jeff - I don't know what you 'mean' but I do know that you CAN NOT have it both ways.

Personally I've had many DRTs WITHOUT hitting CNS but it is NOT 100% - I agree with that.

Where I'm hunting since 2012, I and the deer are TOO close to fences that I don't have permission to cross SO I always go for CNS whenever possible.

Head/Neck/Spine shots are 100% IF you connect.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting thread.

I would submit that it is the one you enjoy using the most.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There aint no "best"... but theres a chitload of darn good ones.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I let the platform dictate what cartridge.
Liked my 7 mag BDL, my .30-06 760, my .35 Rem TC, .44 mag ruger auto.
Even the most cool, odd or fun.........isn't the best (because interest changes, even within season).

Pick a few and have fun with them all smile

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
358 Win.

Ken

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Personally ive shot deer with 270,280,30-06,7mm08,308,7 remmag,300winmag,3030,444marlin,& 45-70.

I own several diffrent calibors i use in diffrent situations but more and more i find myself toteing my rem 700 7mm08 loaded with 139gr interlocks. I honestly cant think of a better all around deer round that has the ability to take any deer from close to far and not beat you to death doing it.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've spent most of my hunting career on the quest for the best. I used another different cartridge this year (along with some of the old stuff) and it killed just like all the others!

My first and only two with the 6.5x55....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's see, I stared in the early 60's.
1. 30-30
2. 308
3. 6/284
4. 25/285
5. 243
6. 270 win
7. 7m/m wby
8. 223
9. 357
10. 7m/m rem
11. 300wby
12. 270wby
13. 22-250
14. 257wby
I ve used all the above but my 2 favorites are to 6/284 and the 270wby. Both shoot really flat over 350 yards. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy.

These days, it's either 223 or 308 and when I have a wild hair, 243 Win (the not-AI).

I have had/tried

22-250
243 AI
6,5X55
6.5 Creedmoor
264 Win Mag
7mm-08
7X57
7 WSM
7 Rem Mag
7mm dakota
30-30
307 Marlin
300 Savage
308 win
30-06
300 Win Mag
300 Bee
300 H&H
300 Dakota
338 Win Mag
340 bee
340 Dakota
35 Whelan
375 H&H
375 Bee
9.3X62

My observation has been everything hit died, but with today's bullets (and a few shoulder surgeries), I just can't see any need to go over a 308 with 155 Secnars.

Last edited by David_Walter; 03/02/16.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Between myself and regular hunting friends we have used all of the following: Recall two deer lost 6.5x55 and 45-70 go figure. All of the rest have been one shot and at most a 50 yd trail job. All std cup & core bullets or cast.

257 robts
250 sav
6.5x55
7x57
30-30
30-06
44 mag
45-70
577-450
450-400
577 martini
50 cal rb
54 cal cal rb
58 cal rb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

[Linked Image]

Nice buck!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have killed deer sized game with .243, 25-06,.260, 7mm mauser,7 mm rem mag.30-06,8x57 , .338 win.,.458 win. and .50 cal muzzle loaders. The most DRT I had were with the .260 and the .338. Similar performance and no tracking.
The least spectacular of all of them was the .458 . poked a hole through and they wandered off 50-75 yds.
Of course bullets and more importantly shot placement meant more then the headstamp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter

These days, it's either 223 or 308 and when I have a wild hair, 243 Win (the not-AI).

My observation has been everything hit died, but with today's bullets (and a few shoulder surgeries), I just can't see any need to go over a 308 with 155 Secnars.

The above bears repeating.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The .243 was voted best deer cartridge by NRA, SCI, DHA, GFC, MDHA, and BCBH.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by slg888
The .243 was voted best deer cartridge by NRA, SCI, DHA, GFC, MDHA, and BCBH.

I can believe that. As I said I love my .260's. Same case just alttle bigger bullet. Nice light, low recoil and compact......

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My first deer was taken with an 06 at a little over 100 yards. Then I switched to the 35 Rem for a bunch of years. Then I bought my first Savage 99 in 250 and have used it for about 20 years. This coming year I'm trying for the Savage "Slam", one deer in each of the 4 Savage cartridges. The first one I'm taking out is a 1912 model in 22 Hi-Power. One that almost got away was the first buck I ever heard grunt. He walked up a trail about 35 yards away dead broadside, but all I could see was his neck and head. I thought it was the biggest rack I'd ever seen. Took a rest and shot through the neck. He took off and ran about 50 yards and stopped on the trail I followed to my stand. Facing straight away from me, I shot him in the base of the neck, DRT. Turned out to be 98 pounds dressed. The giant rack was about the size of your hands spread with your thumbs touching, and pinkies pointing straight out, maybe 9 or 10 inch spread. The first shot poked a big hole in one side and out the other side of the neck, but missed the spine. That was my Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. That was the only neck shot I've ever made that was not a DRT, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, my boss claims neck shots kill instantly every time... ONLY if you hit it right...

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My son shot a .308 in his early years and it impressed me sitting beside him.

A wonderful short range round is the .38-55. We used them in the Mississippi primitive season for a while and four of us killed 40+ deer with the .38 and never lost one. Very little recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know what they , the second thing to go . I forgot these
1. 303 Brit
2 6/47
3. 25-06
4. 30.06
5. 357 Max
6. 218 Bee
Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoming260
The most DRT I had were with the .260

For whatever reason- me too. I wouldn't dare argue it as the definitive rule but compared to everything else I have used it is uncanny.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wyoming260
The most DRT I had were with the .260 and the .338.

Of course bullets and more importantly shot placement meant more then the headstamp.

kenjs1 - Wyo said, "260 AND 338"

Wyo - I have had DRTs with many diff cartridges and you are ALSO correct about 'placement'.

I have had more DRTs % since 2012 than before BECAUSE...

where I'm hunting I NEED to hit CNS because of Private Property boundaries. When you connect with CNS regardless of cartridge/caliber it's all over but the WORK.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I agreed on the 260 bit. I can't comment on the 338.

(You don't think he used them simultaneously do you? shocked )

I don't take head or neck shots, I always try for double lung and think that was rather implied by the OP.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
kenjs1 -

Honestly - I am not interested in 'arguing'.
Below is the OP. Guy did not mention rib/lung shots.

This DRT facet has entered after the OP. I didn't read to find out WHEN it did, it's not that important to me.

And I'm NOT dissin the 260 either. I've had DRTs with virtually every cartridge/cal I've used and NONE can be counted on 100% EXCEPT with CNS.

That was my main point.

Guy

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Argument?
Honestly no argument from me Jwall. Sorry if it came across that way. Your last post of course is compeletely true. None are going to 100%

I read the posts and thought of course you get DRT with CNS so no reason to question that so I figured ribs were 'implied'. Didn't take it as you dissing the 260 at all. I don't get balled up if someone has a different favorite than mine anyway. Be pretty boring around here if we didn't. I just have no info on a 338 but have weirdly consistent results from a 260 -and honestly can't explain why. Of course all future deer I shoot may run for miles with it and things will even out. Hope not but..

All the best.

. Confucius
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ken -

I didn't think you were arguing. I just wanted to say that I was NOT arguing either.

We are good.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used a bunch from small fast to big and slow and in between....the 30-06 and 7-08 have preformed the best day in and day out....but I must say the swift with heavy bullets is like a lightning bolt...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.358 is pretty sweet

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
.358 is pretty sweet

Yes it is, but for all ranges up to 400 yds?? Not my pick.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 Swede.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
.240 Weatherby is my favorite. 30-06 would be my second favorite.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
8x57 is my favorite cartridge and my favorite rifle to carry is a .308 Win(Savage 99e) but, nothing I've used on deer has put them down as fast and clean as my .270 Winchester so I guess I'll vote .270.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been using a 30-06 all my life for deer but i took the leap into a 7mm08 for my primary deer rifle. Havent hunted with it yet on deer but so far my range work has went well and I am enjoying shooting a rifle with less kick. I have few worries about its ability on deer based on the feed back from those of you who have used it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
9.3 x 57. 257 Roberts and 8mm Mauser get my blood flowing, but my new favorite is the "potato chucker".

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
After decades of deer killin', I'm pretty sure the deer DGAF what you shoot 'em with.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Trick question. smile
There is no "best deer cartridge".

I almost agree w/ya Bob. wink

The 270/280 can't be beat!! Others come close, even neck & neck, but none beat them.

And ratsmacker is right, deer would rather you NOT shoot them. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Best deer cartridge? That is kind of a who knows question. Any rimfire is a bit light, but, ok under carefully contolled conditions such crop damage control. They work great for finishing wounded animals also. At the other end things such as 458 win, 460 Weatherby, any of the big British cartridges, and 50 bmg are a little over the top. Anything in between should do the job. Specific conditions can play into it of course. If I had to walk into a gun shop and just grab a rifle it would be minimum 24 cal with 100 grain bullets and maximum cal of 35. Any thing in that range could arguably be the "best deer cartridge"

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have lots of dogs in this fight, but if forced to choose, I would vote for 308......and I don't even own one right now! Maybe I should go shopping....

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best deer rifle is whatever the best deer hunter has in his hands...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jwall: There is no "best" but there are a lot that work really well.. smile

Which is why I rarely use anything other than a 270 anymore. Others kill as well but no better out to 400 yards, so I just stick to the 270, mostly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
22lr

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Which is why I rarely use anything other than a 270 anymore. Others kill as well but no better out to 400 yards, so I just stick to the 270, mostly.

That's my point. None are 'better' from 0--400 yds.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad

Yes Brad the cartridge does not make the hunter!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
It depends on a lot of were you hunt. Where I hunt short action light recoil compact is king. That's why I like something in a .308 cartridge. .260 or 7-08 is very hard to beat. Shots are 10-75 yards and sometimes a rare 200 yard shot might present itself. A lot of hard walking in swamps and thick timber. Smaller the rifle the better.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Deer only would include Antelope and the same kind of country they live in. I'm thinking that a

25-06 with 115gr Partitions would knock the crap out of deer near or far and beyond.

Today that's my answer. smile

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Brad

Yes Brad the cartridge does not make the hunter!!
Jerry

To illustrate:

Lipstick on a pig doesn't make it a beauty contestant!

A bikini on Rosey....ooh, nevermind.

A SORRY hunter carrying a Colt Sauer still is a sorry hunter.

et.al.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by diamondjim
[Linked Image]

One of the best

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308, 7mm-08, 243 are on my list, 284 Win is at the top. smirk

Yeah, we should all be able to list 20+ ideal deer rounds.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would say the one, above a 22, in the rifle/cartridge combo that the hunter shoots most accurately.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

As someone who HAS hunted South Texas, I completely agree. Maneuvering through mesquite thorns, cactus, snakes, etc is a good way to lose a deer if it goes very far. In the brush country, I'll take velocity and quick expanding bullets.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Arns9

As someone who HAS hunted South Texas, I completely agree. Maneuvering through mesquite thorns, cactus, snakes, etc is a good way to lose a deer if it goes very far. In the brush country, I'll take velocity and quick expanding bullets.

I've been hunting with a .270 Wby for 20 yrs. Kills like lightning. Great cartridge.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The 270/280 can't be beat!! Others come close, even neck & neck, but none beat them.

Jerry

That's my point. None are 'better' from 0--400 yds.

Jerry

YEP!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've killed with:

6.5 CM
270 win
7-08
7mm rm
30-30
300 WM
300wsm
350 rm

My fav is 7-08 and 6.5 cm

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pstores--- Bingo - hit the nail on the head for me--- depends on the woods or AO you hunt --- I'll take his .308 ,7-08 , .260 and other short actions in 18" -22" tube

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pstores
It depends on a lot of were you hunt. Where I hunt short action light recoil compact is king. That's why I like something in a .308 cartridge. .260 or 7-08 is very hard to beat. Shots are 10-75 yards and sometimes a rare 200 yard shot might present itself. A lot of hard walking in swamps and thick timber. Smaller the rifle the better.

Pstores

You do realize that S A rifles w/22" blls are a whole 1/2" shorter than a LA ??

IfN you're looking for a shorter handier rifle it has to be a SA Carbine.

Not only is the OA length JUST 1/2" shorter the nominal weight difference is only ~4oz.

For woods hunting I had a Ruger tanger UL-- 308 w/ 20" bll. That was truly a HANDY rifle for woods terrain.

I guess it's what you get used to. I am very comfortable w/ L A, 270, 06, 7 Mags. No muss No fuss

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/04/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Absolutely I know that. But they are heavier, and most come with 24" barrels in those calibers. So 22.5 - 24 = 1.5" plus another 1/2" for the action. Is 2". Might not seem a lot. But every 1/2" matters in the thick stuff. And they point faster. I use a small light scopes 1-6 or 2-8 is nice. EO Tech hollosight works very well on small fast shots. Every inch and ounce matters when your doing hard walking. I like a nice 6.25 pound gun when hunting the thick timber and swamps. JMHO

I own and have shot deer with .270, .270wsm, 06, 7mm, .300.... I prefer the small short actions.

Last edited by Pstores; 04/04/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not to mention the cartridges are longer, so there is more weight there in brass alone! then you have the powder. it all adds up...

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Absolutely I know that. But they are heavier, and most come with 24" barrels in those calibers. So 22.5 - 24 = 1.5" plus another 1/2" for the action. Is 2". Might not seem a lot. But every 1/2" matters in the thick stuff. And they point faster. I use a small light scopes 1-6 or 2-8 is nice. EO Tech hollosight works very well on small fast shots. Every inch and ounce matters when your doing hard walking. I like a nice 6.25 pound gun when hunting the thick timber and swamps. JMHO

I own and have shot deer with .270, .270wsm, 06, 7mm, .300.... I prefer the small short actions.

Everyone has their preferences.30/06-length actions and cartridges work fine everywhere deer are found.

Having used both short and "long" actions over the years I have found the short action "thing" to be mostly myth when it comes to shooting quickly and accurately ,and a well designed, properly balanced rifle is more important than action length when it comes to shooting fast in thick cover.

These were killed by a bunch of pretty good riflemen in Maine with 270's on Remington, Mauser 98,and Winchester M70 actions. 22-23" barrels. JMHO.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it fits - YOU - and you like it, use it. Handle many rifles. Some fit individuals better than others. SHOOT many calibers, and find what YOU shoot best. Recoil can be a detriment to shooters. Sometimes less Recoil is a nice bonus and enhances shooters confidence and skill, not to mention range time wink

Pick a good load/ammo, practice, put thru vitals.

Not more complicated than that smile

Like ice cream, many flavors to please a variety.

Short action rounds kill just as well as long action rounds, proven time and again. Good bullet - threaded thru vitals...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BS. I was hunting in some thick cover one time with a 24" barrel and had to turn around and go home because the barrel was too long.

Stuff happens.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Absolutely I know that.....

Yes 1/2" + 4 oz, wow, how could anyone hunt woods with those handicaps?? smirk

.... and most come with 24" barrels in those calibers.

I would NOT know when that became the norm.
MOST S A I'm familiar with have 22". 243, 260, 7-08, 308, et.al.

Maybe the manufacturers have adopted 24" as standard in recent years. Not that I know of.

OTOH -- I really like the magnums, L A, 24-26" blls, however I want them in Lite configurations. smile
Not many guys like/prefer that OR at all.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/04/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
My first deer rifle was a Remington M742 in 308. It worked fine. I sold it, and bought a Remington 700 in 25-06, as I was then shooting woodchucks and deer. It worked fine on both. I liked it especially when I sniped deer across a field, but didn't like it as much when sitting in a tree stand or still hunting. Next came my Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08, the original style with 18-1/2" barrel and walnut stock. I still think it's about the perfect woods rifle, but would reach for a 270 if I had to hunt open fields again. Of course, now I have a selection of rifles to choose from....

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm amazed that some mutherphuqqers can even tie their shoelaces.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
BS. I was hunting in some thick cover one time with a 24" barrel and had to turn around and go home because the barrel was too long.

Stuff happens.

THEN I speculate ( not assume) that your first post was sarcasm ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You guys are way behind the times. Cartridges don't matter. You just need a bullet with a BC above 0.5 or you might as well stay home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jerry

Satire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
You guys are way behind the times. Cartridges don't matter. You just need a bullet with a BC above 0.5 or you might as well stay home.

Now that's funny right there......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I've never used any bullet with a BC at .5 or above...so..

I guess ALL those deer I brought home since 1972 were NOT dead. whistle

Best laugh I've had in a while. laugh laugh laugh

Jerry

PS: If cartridges 'don't' matter...did you THROW those bullets by hand?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jerry

Satire.

Sometimes it hard to tell the difference in print. <grin>

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.425 to .485 BC at 2,950 to 3,000 fps is the sweet spot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You know about 'steel traps' don't ya ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Figured when I checked back that this thread would have gotten interesting. laugh

I'd bet good money I've piled more deer up in the woods with an old ADL 22" 270 than most have with everything else. Never seemed to be a problem. Stacked quite a few with a 24" 30-06 too. Guess I never knew I was not supposed to be able to hunt the woods, thickets, and mountains with such rifles. whistle

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Figured when I checked back that this thread would have gotten interesting. laugh

I'd bet good money I've piled more deer up in the woods with an old ADL 22" 270 than most have with everything else. Never seemed to be a problem. Stacked quite a few with a 24" 30-06 too. Guess I never knew I was not supposed to be able to hunt the woods, thickets, and mountains with such rifles. whistle

1NUT: I am not surprised. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A lot of lightweight bolt actions SUCK for still hunting/driving/tracking in the woods. They're too damned butt heavy/muzzle light {in other words poorly balanced} for offhand shooting whether at moving or standing targets, particularly if you're a bit winded from walking/exertion. The old 18.5" barreled, walnut stocked Remington model 7 was one of the worst "woods rifles" ever foisted off on ignorant hunters for that very reason. Give me a Marlin 336 over one of those any day ending in "Y". With a mag tube full of cartridges it balances perfectly and holds steady for offhand shooting. I practice with mine offhand all the time and can handily punch 2" 3 shot groups from 65 yards over and over. I've killed a couple big truckloads of deer in the woods with it, 90% offhand and many of them on the move and have never wished for a lighter bolt action with more power or reach.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm gonna wait for the Tikka T3x to come out, then get me one in a .270. I've never had a .270, and figure I prolly oughta try one.

In the meantime, I should be picking up a Ruger American compact all-weather lefty in 7mm-08 on Thursday. Since it appears to be a special run, I figured I better go ahead and get one if I wanted one. I've never had a 7mm-08, either, so looks like I'm fixing to scratch some itches.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
243 is the first choice most times. Although a 12 gauge in close with buckshot does a great job when 1/2 dozen or more pellets meet the mark at reasonable ranges.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've thought for many years that a 6.5X55 is the perfect deer cartridge if a man hunted only deer: One rifle for all of the deer in North America, from little island blacktails and Coues to massive Canadian mule deer, from thickets to wide open spaces. The 129 grain Hornady would be a sweet match.

7mm08 is probably a more practical generic ideal.

However, in my heart of hearts, especially since I like to hunt mule deer, I'd make my perfect deer rifle a .280.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
280 should kill as well as the Swede. An article years ago was published. One good bullet was the title as I recall. Fella used the 125 Partition in Swede and -06. Killed Mulies and Elk regularly along w other game.

All dead wink A 129 nigh duplicates in terminal performance at modest speeds.

What bullet will you run in the 280?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've killed deer big and little from New Brunswick and Northern New England, to Alberta and the Central Canadian Provinces;and most of the Rocky Mountain states from 4000-10,000 feet,with a 7 pound 270.

Never found it wanting in the slightest,and noticed a 130 Partition made very short work of all of them,no matter the angles as long as the bullet was directed into vitals.

I've used other more and less potent cartridges and bullets in the exact same places. Nothing worked any better.

I've found killing deer to be ridiculously simple. Getting a shot at a big one is the hard part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now Bob, you know that's not true.......

Sad thing about 270's and 30-06's is everyone knows that they could have stopped the search for the holy grail long before they started.

Guilty as charged.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet recoil and blast reduction has it's benefits smile

Now about the benefits of short actions wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that's some funny schit.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've killed deer big and little from New Brunswick and Northern New England, to Alberta and the Central Canadian Provinces;and most of the Rocky Mountain states from 4000-10,000 feet,with a 7 pound 270.

Never found it wanting in the slightest,and noticed a 130 Partition made very short work of all of them,no matter the angles as long as the bullet was directed into vitals.

I've used other more and less potent cartridges and bullets in the exact same places. Nothing worked any better.

I've found killing deer to be ridiculously simple. Getting a shot at a big one is the hard part.

Bob,

You reckon a 7-08 coulda killed all them deer as well?

I know what I think...

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bludog

Bob,

You reckon a 7-08 coulda killed all them deer as well?

I know what I think...

bludog

Bluedog: No doubt....but some were killed before the 7/08 existed. Even after I bought a 7/08 (and have killed with several) I never saw much difference except on a chronograph.

With bullets and loads of the day I might have had to hold skosh higher on the 400 yard stuff.....but I watched a companion dump a big buck off a mountainside at about 375 yards with a a 140- 7x57. smile The 7x57 was "our" 7/08 back in the day...... So.....

Like I am fond of saying out to 300-500 yards many of these cartridges have been so much the same.

There just isn't a whole bunch of difference terminally between cartridges and bullets in that category.Most important thing is knowing your rifle, how to hit under the circumstances and that boils down to round count and range time plus field experience. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/14/16.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The more I look at ballistic tables, the more convinced I become that the best mule deer cartridge is probably a .264 Winchester Magnum. It is a fairly easy shooting cartridge and with a 140gr bullet it has great energy and accuracy out to 500 yds.

There are dozens of other cartridges ballistically similar to this, but they all seem to have some trade off (more recoil, more expensive cartridges, etc).

JMO

BH63

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the 264 also, but IMO, for deer, a good 125 or 130gr is plenty and the recoil is even less than with 140s.

I also agree that there is MUCH overlap in performance with a lot of cartridges, and one could, if blindfolded, not tell the difference in the field. Didn't "someone" say "Boolits is more important than headstamps" grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
270 win. Talk about beating a dead horse.... Geesh..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
270?? "everybody" knows the 280 is far superior. wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
270?? "everybody" knows the 280 is far superior. wink

Especially the AI version. Hell, it whips the 7mm rem mags azz, if you ask its supporters. Been thinking about buying one and throwing all my other rifles away... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50,000+ threads on guns and how to kill stuff, 4,800 on how to cook it.

Interesting....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting....

Boy that's a fact! People are funny....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Interesting....

Yeah, Deer are easy to kill, yet people will spend hours discussing and arguing the best way to kill them, spend thousands to produce $150+ per pound venison, then make dry hamburgers and crappy chili with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Deflagrate

In your Sig line, is that an honest question? about C U P / psi. ?

I have an equation from "Denton" for converting C U P --to PSI.

If you're serious I'll post it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Deflagrate

In your Sig line, is that an honest question? about C U P / psi. ?

I have an equation from "Denton" for converting C U P --to PSI.

If you're serious I'll post it.

Jerry

Mostly tongue in cheek. It goes back over a decade to some forum discussions where people had no clue what C.U.P. and piezo electric measurements are yet thought themselves expert enough to help others blow their faces off.
I'd be interested in seeing Denton's formula as I've never seen a single one that powder companies would agree work. Maybe because of liability lawyers, maybe they have no need to do conversions, I don't know. I'm curious though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First off, I take no credit for this equation except to say I got (copied) it from Mr. Denton B

He has written about it more than once SINCE 2010 when I joined the 'fire. Hopefully he will chime in to define it's dependability. I've read it from him, but don't remember exactly.

It goes like this:

C U P X 1.516..-17902= PSI

my example only...50000 CUP X 1.516 = 75800

75800 -17902 = 57898 PSI
--------------------------------------
50000 is roughly 86.3 % of 57900
NOTE - I take NO credit just THANKS to Mr Denton.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thank you. I'm going to do some comparisons from different data and satisfy my curiosity.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You are welcome.

In answer to your question, How many PSI in a CUP, it's more than 100% <grin>

Even tho this subject had been briefly discussed here on the 'fire, I found that equation when I Googled, PSI/CUP. It brought me to Mr. Denton's discussion/presentation.

There you'll find much more info FROM him.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My favorite last year was a .243 Improved and 6-06 Improved. The year prior was a 7WSM and a 7-08, I'm in contemplation what will spark my interest this year. I have a couple light quarter bore barrels that may have a purpose.

Bottom line: Most any caliber with a good bullet is the best on any given day, it's just fun to build and switch things up a bit.

Have Fun

Rob

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.