Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm looking at an extra vehicle and will be looking at this one.

Anything I should know or look out for?

Never been a Jeep guy and don't know a whole lot about them.

1997 lifted Jeep Wrangler TJ - low miles - new top
97 wrangler TJ. 5spd. 4cyl. 109k miles. Winch, bumpers, lift, lights, stereo, sliders, 33" toyos, and other upgrades. New top, fenders, rear bumper. Has new brake booster, master cylinder, and new starter. Has had recent work such as new radiator, new battery, manifold gasket, driveline balance, pinion seals, and clutch.

guys asking $7,800

Last edited by SU35; 02/27/16.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The 4 cylinder is reliable but slow even before you lift it and stick bigger tires on. If you're just using it around town or on trails it will likely be ok but I wouldn't even think of trying to take it in the interstate

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with ajmorell. I have a '97 TJ rag top and it is definitely an unpleasant loud experience doing 70 down the freeway. The short wheelbase tends to make the steering a bit squirrelly also, especially on a lifted jeep.
Check the control arms for wear, depending on the brand of lift kit the rubber bushings may be shot with that mileage and that will also lead to steering slop.
Has fuel pump ever been replaced?
It's a lot of fun dropping the fuel tank to get to the pump and filter.
That being said, off-road they are a blast.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've owned both a 1999 and a 2000 Jepp Wrangler with the 4 cly. and the 5 speed.
A couple of inches of lift would help with the break over angle assuming standard size, or close to that, tires. No way would I go higher than that. I've known lots of people who have done it. I, for one, didn't believe more than that was worth it.
With standard diameter tires, it pulls alot better than you might think off road. With oversized tires, you loose alot of on the ground power. Again, I've known plenty have gone there.
Now, if the owner changed the axle ratios to match, that would be a different story.
The other problem with big tires is that the axles and transmition are none too strong to take the extra strain. Again, not for me.
The 2000 model I had until 2015. Very tough, very reliable vehicle. Mine had a soft top, which provided alot of fun. Take off the doors, along with the windows and the top and the visiability is a whole new experience.
How tough ? Mine went on lots of 30-60 day hunts in places like Montana, it's cold hunting weather, or the low desert with it's rocks and dust. Never did it ever leave me stranded. The only problems I had were with tires. Load range "C" tires, or better yet, beefed up off road tires are a must in my book.
Another example is the lack of need to algin the front end. It went over 4 yrs. w/o needing anything adjusted.
So, I hope this helps. E

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would Highly Recommend waiting for one that has the 4.0 because you might need to pull a trailer someday and you will be very disappointed if you try this with a 4 Cyl Vs the 6 Cyl 4.0.

I have owned a lot of Jeeps over the years and have finally settled on my current 97 Cherokee XJ as the most versatile, comfortable and practical (long enough to sleep in) Model so far. I am still getting 20-22 miles to the Gallon on average with the 4.0 at 75-80 Mph on the highway and off road in low range first gear.

The XJ Wheel Base is only 8 inches longer than the TJ Wheel Base and it will navigate terrain and turn just as tight as the TJ but tends to handle much better at cruising speeds when on the highway. They also ride quite a bit better and will be easier on your kidneys and back. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 02/28/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Except the Cherokee is nowhere near as comfortable a ride as the Grand Cherokee and the Grand is every bit as capable off road. So far I've had a 99 4 cyl Wrangler a 2000 Cherokee and an 04 Grand Cherokee. Would never do a Wrangler again. Poor road manners/handling doesn't begin to describe the ride. Squirreliest {new word ?} damn thing on the road I ever had the displeasure of driving. Noisy and cold as a tomb in winter too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Actually the 4 banger is a better option than the 6 for a lift and bigger tires. The 4.0 V6 came with 3.07 gearing and will be a dog with bigger tires unless you re-gear. The 4 cyl's came with 4.10 gears and will handle them much better. It'll be slow on the road, but it isn't meant for that anyway.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
Actually the 4 banger is a better option than the 6 for a lift and bigger tires. The 4.0 V6 came with 3.07 gearing and will be a dog with bigger tires unless you re-gear. The 4 cyl's came with 4.10 gears and will handle them much better. It'll be slow on the road, but it isn't meant for that anyway.

If'n you're gonna run 35's, you've gotta regear anyway, so its a moot point.

I'd say an 18yo 4cyl TJ is worth 4K, and not a penny more. It is a donor vechicle for a 4.3 or a small block swap. I wouldn't touch a jeep that didn't already come with a Dana 44 rear, and I doubt any 4cyl's had them.

XJ's are sorta cool, but in reality they are unibody pieces o' schidt, typically with all manner of electrical gremlins by the time they get sold off.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Given that you don't even know the difference between an inline and V6 I'd say you're opinion on the matter ain't worth a hill of beans

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
theres a reason why it has those new parts. it is at the age when it is going to keep costing money to keep it going. it would probably be ok for a toy but i wouldn't count on it for a second car.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Run, don't walk away. Jeeps are endless, disappointing money pits. Headache after headache. Nothing is good on them, from the engines, transmissions, electrical, suspension pieces. Save your money and buy a Toyota Forerunner. Follow some of the advice above...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Actually mine, like most, has 3.55 gears and limited slip Diffs in DANA housings. It is a very good compromise that does very well both on and off Road. I run 31x10.50s and the 4.0 inline 6 has absolutely no problems turning these, in fact I have pulled my two axle car trailer loaded with mine many times. It does very well for it's size because of the bottom end Torque from the inline 6. Yet it will also cruise in OD very well at 70 on the Speedo(actual about 80 because of the 31s)and still be only at 2k on the Tach. It has crawled over anything I ever pointed it at yet it still handles and corners like a Sports Car on the Highway.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That might be the case where you live, but here in Kalifornia, if one wanted a 6 with the heavy duty axles, it was a special order if you could get a dealer to order one for you. Never saw one.
Jeeps are nothing but problems ? That's funny. Must be why the Jeep Wrangler production has run two shifts for the last couple of years. One of the local restaurant owners bought an Unlimited Wrangler because it was worth more after five years than the Range Rover he used to drive.
BTW, my 2000, w/ the 4 cly, stick and nothing else except a radio and a back seat went for $7500 last year. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

“Lighten up Francis”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have had Jeeps for years.

I have had dozens of Dodge Cummins 4x4s.

Best 4WD I ever owned was a 1992 Land Cruiser. That thing was built for war and could climb trees.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

97 wrangler TJ. 5spd. 4cyl. 109k miles. Winch, bumpers, lift, lights, stereo, sliders, 33" toyos, and other upgrades. New top, fenders, rear bumper. Has new brake booster, master cylinder, and new starter. Has had recent work such as new radiator, new battery, manifold gasket, driveline balance, pinion seals, and clutch.

guys asking $7,800

A '97 really isn't "older". Lol

'72 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

'78 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Run from the 4 cylinder. They may be geared lower but the 4 banger is a turd. The gear in the 4.0 liter is high but you can regear or find a front and rear end out of a 4 banger in a junk yard and swap them or do like a good hillbilly and drive it in 4th gear unless you are on the highway. All this talk is if you go big with tires. I only have 2.5" of lift and it handles ok not wonderful but passable.

I have a 95 and it has 198000 hard mountain miles on it and I have in 14 years put a radiator, clutch master and slave cylinder, a pinion Seal a rear main seal and a wheel seal in it. I drive it like I stole it. The 4.0 is bullet proof and anyone who says different don't know there a$$ from their elbow, lol. Ask anyone who has owned one. They sound a little rattley and they leak from the valve cover a little bit but the bottom end is strong. The AX15 5 speed is what they also put behind dodge trucks that had the 318 in it. It's a notchy transmission, but again bullet proof. They hold their value very well also. Not much room in them but very manuverable and they are light, tires last for a long time.

I have had mine as a daily driver/hunting vehicle plus I pull my boat with it and it has been a champ. Lots of off road use but no mudding and I take it easy over rough stuff. Best vehicle I have ever owned, but if you do need to fix some thing you can actually do it yourself. I changed the radiator in less than 30 minutes. Lots of aftermarket stuff too, it's like the 10/22 of the vehicle world.

Last edited by seal_billy; 03/11/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
U lost me at 4cyl.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you from experience that the short wheel base can be hairy if you have to do a high speed stop in a hurry. The back can come around so fast that you don't know its coming. It happened to me in a Bronco II. It straightened right out when I released the brake but that's not always the case.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The 4.0 does pretty well.
But it aint bullet proof.
I've had six of them.
Highest was 286K.
Lowest was 120K (and that one babied, never offroad).

Had two CJ5's. Loads of fun. Dangerous as hell.

Taking an old back road, paved.........we had never been down before. BIL and I were flying, could see road went straight, but dropped out of sight in the middle. Figured small roll. Nope.

Huge drop. Jeep was ass high and creeping higher all the way to the bottom (all off the ground). Everything was cool but "wow". I don't want that feeling ever again. Too fast and too much air.

Wheeling to fetch a deer in gun season, took the back trail on the farm, same thing. I didn't hit the brakes until the ass landed back down(front maintained contact down the hill this time), which meant we slid into the CRP a good ways before stopping. If I hit the brakes it was proly 50/50 if we'd frontal roll it. Duh, I knew the area, so didn't hit the brakes. Problem was a little dip near the top started the hop. Wasn't there last time.

Looking back, damn that little CJ5 was a hoot.

I did way more stupid crap in my lifted XJs........not nearly the thrill of a stock CJ5.

Did buy one that some gal frontal rolled on an S curve (went straight). Steering wheel touching seat. She got ejected, was bruised but OK. Baby in child seat rode the flip- OK.

I straightened the tub and bolted on new stuff. I didn't trail that one, just DD and some major mud at a buds farm. In town beater it was mostly.

Love the look of the CJ5. Hate them in winter.
Wonder how that old Black Diamond coil change deal does on 'em.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/26/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Guy has a restored CJ2A at work, too much $.
I can't do a 5 unless the ride softens.
If I got one it'd be for puttin around town, no top.
Just a sun runner.

MB grill on that 2A would look way better.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

guys asking $7,800

'72 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

'78 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

Nice stuff, you lucky dog you! smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a few jeeps and just traded off an '08 to get a new'16. The one you're looking at is not one I'd consider. EVER

Just picking up a Jeep for a "second vehicle", could be anything from a DD to a toy. What you intend on doing with it has much to do with what would a good choice be.

I liked Cj5's, fun as can be but squirrly. Had a Cj2a that was more of everything but leg room. Truly crazy fun but...

In the price range you mentioned I'd look for an even older Cj7 that's had someone else's money spent on it. Again, depending on how you plan to use it, beefy axles with traction devices add to it's ability tremendously.

Look for one that has DANA 44's front and back. Disc brakes, gearing, lockers, and engine mods. If it has been screwed with you'll want to be sure it is well done or you may be buying someones headache.

My BIL sold his after he had tricked it out pretty well. I'd have liked to get it at the time but couldn't swing it. It was a STEAL of a deal for the guy who bought it.

Newer Rubicons are very well equipped stock. The X model could be ordered with good options.

If it's just a second rig with no real off road plans I'd get something else. The fuel milage isn't good, ride is rougher, it's limited in utility.

That said, I've owned at least one jeep most of my life. They really can be amazingly fun.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had 2 TJs, a '98 and an '05 Unlimited. I wouldn't do the 4-banger for a couple reasons.

1) Power .. not much. If you have A/C, don't even think about the 4 cyl. Even the 4.0L I6 was somewhat short on horsepower at freeway speed ... good torque on the trail.

2) They came with the AX-5 instead of AX-15 transmission which was weaker yet. (:ater they switched to an NVG 3550 .. and later yet, to a 6 speed.)

3) They came with the weaker Dana 35 rear axle. Both mine had the Dana 44, the first as an option, the second as standard equipment.

Gearing ... both mine came stock with 3.73s. In the first I swapped twice, once for a Detroit Locker and 4.10s, then later swapped the 4.10s for 4.56s. The 4.10s are a bit stronger because the 4.56s (and 4.88s) have a neck-down section on the pinion shaft. In '04 or '05 they went from the 5-speed to 6-speed manual with deeper gearing so it wasn't necessary to swap gears when I went from 30x9.5s to 33x.12.50s with the '05. With the '98, before I swapped gears, the 33s were doggy.

Soft tops ... the soft top on my '05 was quieter than the hard top on my '98. It was kinda weird 'cause stopped at a light I could hear people outside talking and yet at freeway speed, I didn't get flogged or buffeted. They call the newer material "sailcloth" ... it's a 4-ply bonded fabric. I think you can get it from BesTop now as a replacement for the older soft tops.

If I could find another '05 Unlimited with a manual transmission in decent shape at a sane price, I'd own it. Very very good rigs. At 12-ish years old they're still selling for 2/3s what I paid for mine new. Sanity doesn't seem to be part of the equation.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The 2013 and newer have the new V-6 engine. Lot better mileage ,

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

guys asking $7,800

'72 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

'78 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

"It's a jeep thing"....

They suck balls...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
97 TJ lifted with a 4 banger is going to be like a woman . Everytime you drive it somewhere you are going to have to buy it something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.