Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
longbarrel -

I am NOT disagreeing w/you but I would like to make 1 point.

I had a Whelen for a a few years and I heard before and since about the lack of a shoulder. And I'd like to say I respect Ken W.

All I can say is that the shoulder or minimum shoulder did not give me any trouble at all. Long case life.

Just an observation.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My experience has been that participating in threads like this one makes it far more likely you'll end up with a Whelen. blush

I agree with those who say the recoil is > than .30-06, and likely > .300WM, too. It may not be as, "sharp" as the recoil of the latter, but full-house loads will get one's attention.

And one can always play the, "X cartridge won't do anything that Y cartridge won't do" card... Still, I think it says something that the Whelen still has quite a few devotees after all these years. I did have a sweet-shooting .338-06 for a short spell, but I preferred the Whelen, and sent the other down the road. Either one would have been identical in the field - it was just a personal preference.

I've been surprised by the great accuracy of my Whelens, but apparently I'm not alone in that regard. There was a thread a while back with many folks reporting outstanding accuracy with this supposedly, "big, old, slow, outdated, antiquated, poor BC bullet" cartridge. With the way it shoots, my Whelen would be one of the last couple of rifles to ever leave my possession.

FWIW, I've used 250 grain Interlocks over RL15 to take hogs & a Shiras moose. However, I've recently worked-up a nice-grouping load with the 225 grain TSX over H4895. It shoots well enough to be in contention to go to next week's 24HCF hog hunt.

As for ranges, I generally can't see much past 200 yards, so I do my damndest not to shoot that far if I can help it. Still, one frequently uses the Whelen for stuff that's hard not to see at 200+ yards (like elk, moose, & brown bears), and the drops even at 300 yards are hardly untenable for animals with kill zones that big. For example, the moose was at 222 yards, and was undone by one shot.

When I decided to get mine, I was pushed over the edge by the glowing talk of the Whelen owners, and by the fact that they were selling new 700 CDL's for < $500. It's been one of my most satisfying gun purchases ever.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
it's like a mini 50 BMG. whats not to love?

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
whats with the bashing? i just felt jack roll over in his grave after that 270 is junk comment. the 35 whelen may be the best mid long range elk caliber standardized

T
toa Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I'm thinking it may be just about perfect for the Pocono mountains here in PA. for deer and black bear.

Unfortunately I do not roll my own, so factory ammo is a must for me.

Maybe I'll send it out to a custom ammo company? Any thoughts?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 35 Whelen does a lot better than some give it credit for and is fairly easy to get ammo for. As for the 338-06 it works but I honestly prefer my 30-06 over it especially with modern high b.c. 180-210 gr bullets.

For 35 Whelen ammo Nosler, Federal, Hornady and Barnes (I think) make ammo for it the Remington stuff isn't as good but not too bad, it's just under loaded badly. I hand load so can't help you too much more on factory ammo.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's what Midway lists, not a bad selection at all.

http://www.midwayusa.com/35-whelen/br?cid=9354

Gerry.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Because it has not been mentioned,one advantage to the Whelen is that you can have a lot of practice fun with cheap .357 cast bullets, and a pound of Unique.

As expensive as .22 rimfire has gotten, practicing with a real rifle for less money makes a lot of sense.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STS45
Originally Posted by JMR40
It kills stuff if you put the bullets in the right spot. But so does every other rifle cartridge ever made. If you are getting 30-06 recoil you are shooting anemic loads. With 225-250 gr bullets loaded to their potential recoil exceeds 300 WM. A 30-06 loaded with better 200-215 gr bullets will do anything the Whelen will do with 225's up close, and handily beats it beyond 150 yards with less recoil.

If you just want to be different from the 30-06 crowd it is a fun round to work with. Just don't expect to see any dramatic difference in effectiveness.

The 35 Whelen was born in an era of poor bullets where larger calibers and heavier bullets actually made a difference. That is no longer the case.

How does it beat it past 150 yards?

I was asking myself the same thing.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I still think the Whelen is best as a big critter cartridge. There are a truckload of other cartridges I'd rather deer hunt with.

If I was going moose/grizzly hunting tomorrow or to Africa, the Whelen would be one of my picks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I still think the Whelen is best as a big critter cartridge. There are a truckload of other cartridges I'd rather deer hunt with.

If I was going moose/grizzly hunting tomorrow or to Africa, the Whelen would be one of my picks.

I agree for the most part. Bullets like the 200 gr Accubond and TTSX make for some great deer loads and can handle bigger stuff as well. That said I prefer my 260 Rem and the 270 Win for deer but the Whelen works too.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

I agree for the most part. Bullets like the 200 gr Accubond and TTSX make for some great deer loads and can handle bigger stuff as well. That said I prefer my 260 Rem and the 270 Win for deer but the Whelen works too.

I understand a Whelen for deer in B.C., I don't in Virgina.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Almost 40 years ago, I built a 35 Whelen on a Mauser action for a customer. I liked that rifle. It seemed like a perfect classic and a rifle an old-time rifle crank might use. I liked it well enough that I decided I would make myself one kind of like it and, about eight years later, I did so. I still have it and I still like it. I shoot 250's at 2500 and have never felt limited for the hunting I do. The only game animal I have ever shot at over 400 yards (a mule deer) was shot with the 35 Whelen. Not a spectacular performer in any way but it is reliable.
When I look at this old rifle now, I can see I could do a better job on it today but I like it anyway. It's a keeper. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load up a 200 Accubond with 57 gr of IMR 8202 br at 2800 fps and go kill chit

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Ruger SS Hawkeye in 35 Whelen and shoot Barnes Vor Tex Factory 180 TTSX out of it. I have not shot any game with it but I think it is perfect for deer and bear here in Eastern PA. Shoots real good also.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a M700 in .35 Whelen for black bear hunts over bait. It has taken 3, and all dropped within sight. I use a 225 Accubond loaded to about 2700 fps. The rifle groups well with every load I've tried, including 200 gr Remington factory ammo.

My initial impression of the rifle was that it was accurate, and did not kick much more than my .30-06, but that was with Remington 200 gr factory loads. With 225 gr loads, it definitely has more recoil than the .30-06.

In my experience, the Whelen throws a 225 gr bullet faster than the .30-06 throws a 200 gr bullet. I have made cases by necking up .30-06 brass, but now have plenty of R-P Whelen brass.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree that the Whelen has enough shoulder. . .but. . .with mine, I necked the Remington Whelen brass out to .375 and then back down to give a mini-shoulder for zero headspace. After the first firing, the brass was "fireformed" for a perfect shoulder. With the .338-06, I will use Whelen brass, not have to do anything but use the FL die to neck it down for zero headspace and .338 at the same time. But then, with any rifle having more than approximately zero headspace with factory brass, I like to avoid working the brass by firing it with headspace. I don't want the firing pin to shove the shoulder against the chamber, and then after the brass grips the chamber upon firing, the head of the case has to stretch the brass to come back against the bolt face. I do the same with belted magnum cases if the rifle has noticeable headspace.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My observations on the whelen had to do with my brother using it on deer to elk. He preferred 225 grain Noslers and 200 grain Hornadys.
I had built a 350RM on a 600 action before Remington legalized the Whelen. That rifle is as good as it gets in the woods and does well out to 300 yards (though that number may be a little arbitrary). The Whelen did great things for bullet selection in the 350 I only shoot 250 grain bullets - Hornady and Partitons. I'm not seen any reason for the premium Partitions yet though. Bullet selection was poor after Remington dropped their 250 CL's and before Whelen.

The Whelen is better on a long action and the 350 is better on a short a action.

Both great cartridges! But for elk this fall I'll probably will use the 338 WM.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Bugger -

Why should we believe you? .....

we can see your NOSE growing when you talk. whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep, my sentiments as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (35, 44mc, 2UP, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.