Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Since the factory grips don't fit very well and I had planned on replacing them anyway I want to put some custom grips on it. I have kinda gone crazy on the gun purchases lately and deleted most of the fun money I would like to keep the price reasonble. I have not decided on the material yet which is probably the biggest factor in prices. I know I don't want Mother-of-Pearl and real Ivory is too expensive from what I have found so I am thinking about either fancy Walnut with nice marbling, buffalo horn or some kind of bone or antler. Does anyone have a favorite maker or experience with With any custom makers? Pics would be a great help especially if they are on a stainless gun, if they are on a single action would be even better and if it happens to be a Bisley, wooh hooh!

One of the grip makers I have been looking at is Patrick Grashorn who makes grips out of Elk antler. Anyone use him or have pics of grips made from antlers? Price is around $200 and they are fit to your individual gun.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Elk Antler on a 1911 - Lone Star Custom Grips - Zane Thompson, Johnson City, Texas

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lacewood on Ruger stainless Bisley Hunter - Privates Custom Grips

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
American Holly on Ruger Flattop .44 Special - Lone Star Custom Grips, Johnson City, Texas. Holly is close in looks to ivory, ages in a similar fashion - MUCH less expensive. I recently saw a set of elephant ivory grips with a big ugly monogram on one grip offered for $400! Most of my grips are from Zane Thompson, Privates, or Badger Custom Grips. All three are good, and fairly reasonable. My last three sets came from Zane, likely get my next 3 from him, also. Fellow Texan and Ruger Forum member, does great work!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
Pics would be a great help especially if they are on a stainless gun, if they are on a single action would be even better and if it happens to be a Bisley, wooh hooh!

One of the grip makers I have been looking at is Patrick Grashorn who makes grips out of Elk antler. Anyone use him or have pics of grips made from antlers? Price is around $200 and they are fit to your individual gun.

Well, wooh hooh...

Bisley
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both are Grashorn's work and both are perfect fit and finish.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice!

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks to both of you! About how long from the time you sent the gun in to when you got it back from Grashorn?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that a real or rather true set of custom grips should not only be fitted to the grip frame but also to your hand most importantly. Here are a couple of the newest Bisley grips by JRH.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gorgeous, Max!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For me Alan Harton makes the best feeling grips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
Thanks to both of you! About how long from the time you sent the gun in to when you got it back from Grashorn?

He never saw my wheel guns. I contacted him and told him what I wanted, a couple weeks later I was slapping them on my gun. He told me if they didn't fit perfectly to send him the gun and grips and he'd make them right, never had to.

Seems like I read somewhere he'll make the grips out of your antler, horn, whatever, also. Next time that's the way I'm gonna go.

Black Cows Matter!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.