-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So apparently whenever Browning rifles are criticized for being junk then Browning lovers instantly reach for their "Remington sucks too" trump cards. Interesting!

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heres a test for Sitka...

Last...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bludog
Dear Sitka Deer,

I have owned two Rem 700s, an SPS stainless and a Mountain Guide. Neither shot worth a darn out of the box. A very good group was 1.75 - 2". Bought new stocks - had them bedded, eventually bought both new barrels and now have had Timneys put on both due to my wife's 7-08AI firing when she was taking the safety off last fall. They were both in the trigger recall population.

I also have purchased two X-bolts in the past 3 years. Both are out of the box 3/4 to 1" rifles with good handloads and shoot almost everything 1.25" or less. They feed flawlessly with a full mag, unlike the Rems that often got bound upwith more than two in the mag.

There is really no comparison in my opinion.

Respectfully,

Greg Bradley,"bludog"

Good fact based response based on your experience with two different products.

Sitka couldn't come back with anything other than a response to get "the last word in"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
So apparently whenever Browning rifles are criticized for being junk then Browning lovers instantly reach for their "Remington sucks too" trump cards. Interesting!

That's called "deflection", a classic technique used by politicians to avoid answering a question. Also, in my experience, used by teenaged boys to avoid explaining why they did something. On the 'Fire, its use is definitely not limited to Browning lovers.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Kinda like when someone asks about X-bolts and people start bashing A-bolts.

I still haven't heard any X-bolt problems outside of a few wsm ftn issues.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
No reason to believe anything changed in the bolt, they did not reduce the part count...

Further proof you have not owned or even shot an Xbolt. Of course the bolt was changed, you would have known that .

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
If you want an instant, involuntary reaction to a thread, post one with the words 'Browning' and 'Bolt' in it- Sitka will be all over it.

Kinda reminds me of the leg-kick reaction I get from my dog when I scratch her behind the ears......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
No reason to believe anything changed in the bolt, they did not reduce the part count...

Further proof you have not owned or even shot an Xbolt. Of course the bolt was changed, you would have known that .

Only responding because you directly challenged my information.

They did change the bolt... what I meant about nothing changed it is still a major cluster and the part count for the bolt went from 17 to 18! For example, a 700 uses 10. A Ruger 77 uses 9...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They simplified the bolt vs. the A-Bolt. The additional parts on the X-Bolt were a result of adding the Bolt unlock button on the bolt handle, but bolt body design was actually simplified and the number of parts used there actually decreased...

It is a good safety feature IMO and one that works very well.

I'll just keep shooting small groups & keep killing stuff with mine. I'm under no illusions that dozens of hours of actual field experience with the rifle will make any difference in the current pissing match.

Pee on. wink grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

They did change the bolt... what I meant about nothing changed it is still a major cluster and the part count for the bolt went from 17 to 18! For example, a 700 uses 10. A Ruger 77 uses 9...

I didn't notice a goofy little lock mechanism on my X-bolt like I have on my 700 bolt.

That 700 lock has to add at least 4 parts...

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My x-bolt has worked great for me, as has my A-bolt. They feed, shoot fine right out of the box.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Xbolt post please provide detailed information about all these failures you have personally witnessed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My only complaints are the fat belly in magazine area. I like a slim rifle for carrying. Fatty's are common since the WSM's came out. Winchester 70's are fatter there than they used to be as well.

My other complaint is the magazines wiggle around a bit when carrying and can even make noise.(3 of 3 rifles have done this) They also wobble around as you load a round. Me no likey.

Other than those two gripes they're pretty good rifles.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Horseman
My only complaints are the fat belly in magazine area. I like a slim rifle for carrying. Fatty's are common since the WSM's came out. Winchester 70's are fatter there than they used to be as well.

My other complaint is the magazines wiggle around a bit when carrying and can even make noise.(3 of 3 rifles have done this) They also wobble around as you load a round. Me no likey.

Other than those two gripes they're pretty good rifles.

Hmmm thanks for the tip on the magazine noise.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll admit one thing to watch for...

Its best to have the bolt open when you seat the magazine so there is no resistance to make the latch "click". Otherwise it may come unlatched during bench shooting.

Not nearly as finicky as a remington 742 though...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I simply do not like the looks of the X Bolt. I've had 3 A Bolts (1 270 and 2 375s), all of which were very accurate, but for me they just didn't excude the build quality of the earlier Belgian made Brownings that used Sako or Mauser actions. Based on that and aesthetics, I won't consider and X Bolt. I'll stick with M70s (or clone) and Sako A series rifles.

Last edited by Dr_Lou; 03/02/16.

NRA Benefactor member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bighorn
If you want an instant, involuntary reaction to a thread, post one with the words 'Browning' and 'Bolt' in it- Sitka will be all over it.

Kinda reminds me of the leg-kick reaction I get from my dog when I scratch her behind the ears......

Honestly I think my dogs know more about guns then Sitka grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Na. Sitka knows everything about rifles.....just ask him.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Horseman

Na. Sitka knows everything about rifles.....just ask him.

I might have to go out and buy 2 of them just for grins grin

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.