-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
M
M
Im pretty confident I can hold it back for twice that.

Last edited by Maybe; 03/04/16.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 70lbs29" draw out of my stevens inception. It is pretty swift and with the proper setup if easy to hold back for awhile. I have never had any trouble drawing it from any position.
I do agree you need to be able to control your draw and hold it back if need be for awhile and still make an accurate shot. If you can do this I think you should shoot what comfortable.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll probably back it down to 60# for the season this fall. I can draw much more than that, but when 60# is generating a good bit more than 75 ft.lbs, and can be held for very, very long periods of time, why bother with anything else? A 400+ grain arrow at 280+ with a COC broadhead from a tuned bow isn't going to bounce off.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Maybe
Im pretty confident I can hold it back for twice that.

Simply holding it back is one thing. Holding it and being steady to make a kill shot on a deer at an irregular range is something completely different.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jmillo
Right now I'm shooting a 60lb prime, a 76lb elite and a 89lb elite. I practice all the time with the heavier bow, so odd position drawing and number of shots before fatigue aren't an issue. I love the idea of a 700gr arrow out of 28" draw 89lb bow. I'm hoping to run that set up through a moose next fall in Newfoundland.
OK, you the man.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I draw rather slow and steady, push pull, not much movement (bow is pointed at the target- doesn't move much vertically in the draw).

Practice (or lack of it) and poundage doesn't matter.

Shot 80+ for a long while, bowed my spine so it looked like I was left handed and suffered overuse syndrome.

Nope right handed.

Not a prob until a vert slipped, and would off and on for years.
Even when normal, it'd often click when I walked.

Over time my shoulder burned, pain down left arm. Then the right shoulder. Recurves shelved and back to compound.......minimal relief. Indoors and 3D were done.

Only a few dozen shots to check sights for deer season.

And then one day I was goofing off around the house (not archery related). Had only shot for hunting season- over the last 5 yrs (so spine straightened up)...........and a big white flash of pain.

Staggered into the bedroom and laid down........and my shoulder didn't hurt (ruined sleep for yrs before).

My bent spine had a rib get broken when bent, healed funky and over time pinched a nerve. Spine straight, rebroke rib (sternum and back pain) and.........unpinched the nerve.

Babied it for a month, bought a 50# Bear Grizzly and shot 50 freakin' arrows in one sitting, pain free.

Gotta be friggin' kidding me.

I have since backed off some #, shoot way less, and things have been fine. 2 yrs ago I did break a finger on one hand, and rip pulley tendons on a finger on the other, and still shot a 60# Blackwidow.

But every year means other aches come along, and stuff doesnt work like it used to, injuries take longer.

So I'm proly gonna have my next Widow made at 52#. If things get even better add a set of heavier limbs.

My 48# old B50 strung rig is a joy to shoot. Got it for informal 3D and deer.

I can shoot heavier...........but don't think I need to.
Happy to run it again this year. It papertunes perfectly.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I snag an old Hoyt Cybertec in Safari finish I'll run it at 65# for deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by haverluk
73# at 29.5" draw length - Mathews Legacy
72# at 30" draw length - Mathews Drenalin

The were both good setups. Very fast and lethal

I am looking into an Obsession K34 with #65 limbs and 30" draw. I don't think it will give much up at all.

PM sent

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive shot 70# for last few years. Todays bows draw super easy at that weight. I just moved from an Obsession Def Con6 to an Obsession K34. The 34 in stock form will be used for target. Later this year i will be putting short 70# limbs on it. Should put ATA around 33" and BH around 6 3/8. Should IBO around 354. Draw cycle on the K34 is nothing short of amazing. Smoothest drawing bow I have ever felt. Period. And that covers a ton of bows by every manufacturer out there. I have 65# limbs on currently. And this thing feels like a much lighter weight. Dont "feel" it hit peak wt and theres no dump into the valley

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Ive shot 70# for last few years. Todays bows draw super easy at that weight. I just moved from an Obsession Def Con6 to an Obsession K34. The 34 in stock form will be used for target. Later this year i will be putting short 70# limbs on it. Should put ATA around 33" and BH around 6 3/8. Should IBO around 354. Draw cycle on the K34 is nothing short of amazing. Smoothest drawing bow I have ever felt. Period. And that covers a ton of bows by every manufacturer out there. I have 65# limbs on currently. And this thing feels like a much lighter weight. Dont "feel" it hit peak wt and theres no dump into the valley

No offense intended, but since everyone knows you're an Obsession dealer is it possible for you to make a post about bowhunting or archery where you DON'T come across as a salesman? We get it; you like Obsession bows and you shoot and sell them. However, there are many great bows on the market and a bow - perhaps much more so than a rifle - is a purely individual preference decision. No bow, or maker, is right or "perfect" for everyone.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think Oneidas draw silky smooth, but due to design require a heavier spine (proly due to huge overtravel of string. Never did rig one with a string stop to see if that helped.......since much of the joy of such rigs is nothing in the middle (sight picture or other).

Lot of crap moving, but they are fun/cool.

Not impressed with many of today's hot rods. They start too harsh for what I'm used to.

Heard the SBXT one of the best Mathews made.........I thought it a spongy rig, if hybridized with Hoyt cam and a halfs it might have been OK. I had a SBXT and killed deer with it, shot OK............but lacked the feel I prefer.

The factory grip is a POS, a Torqueless on it helped, but felt a little funky at first.

My Hoyt Protec was my fave, if only it wasn't such a tank. Just too damn heavy when outfitted and balanced right (has to add hefty brass weight to stab).

Buddy got the Halon 7, another had the Chill. Tech got the new PSE $$$ rig for indoors.

Eh, you wanna crap your pants on bow cost.......look at Blacktail custom recurves....

makes my want of a plywood Widow seem downright cheapskate.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The thing about Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtech...........they've been around a while, and might be down the road.

Been a few come and go wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Draw weight...........used to be a 100# 30" draw Hoyt Prohunter at Lengel's gunshop in Wabash IN.

They had the "warning- draw at own risk" sign hanging by it.

Used to draw it and shock the folks around (I'm rather scrawny, or used to be back then anyway LOL). Right or left handed, smooth and looked like I was drawing 60#.

Roundwheelers are easier.

FWIW my coworker bought that rig, he a tank of a dude, shot it at 90# and said it slammed deer to the ground LOL.

My PSE Gorilla Squad Mach 4 topped out at 96#. I couldn't draw it. 92# was a fight. Shot it at 86# for a week and backed it down to 82. Shot it there for 2 yrs, indoor and out.

Buddy got a Hoyt Rambo when those came out, shimmed it to 98#. I shot it all day, fingers........and went home and went to bed.

Last Oneida I had was 80#. It hurt me to shoot it. Getting old sucks.

I could and maybe even work a bit into it, but am lazy and don't need my back jacked up again. So had it at 70#.
Backed off a bit, think it better to get a 60-70 and run it on high end.

Alas, no deal on a Black Eagle 2 yet.

The new hotrods like the PSE Omen, hurt me at 70#. I can shoot other rigs of that poundage and higher OK. The speed demons are so tight at the start, either age or what I'm used to (dunno)..........they just suck IMHO.

Of course with such efficiency, proly don't need to shoot the old #.
So a 70# "used to be" could run 60#.

But even then, they start so hard, I think they still suck.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/06/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oh boy

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

No offense intended, but since everyone knows you're an Obsession dealer is it possible for you to make a post about bowhunting or archery where you DON'T come across as a salesman? We get it; you like Obsession bows and you shoot and sell them. However, there are many great bows on the market and a bow - perhaps much more so than a rifle - is a purely individual preference decision. No bow, or maker, is right or "perfect" for everyone.

you shoot a prime??

Last edited by 79S; 03/06/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My buddy has a Prime (think "Rival").
He's been on the hunt for indoor and 3d rig.......has had a fair number of $$$ bows.
I trust his judgement, and he loves the G5.
Haven't shot it yet but will next time I go over.

His standby is a Bowtech Assassin. That bow was IMHO a "great buy". Fast enough, quiet enough..........and didn't cost a kidney.

I used to shoot the top end stuff, but deer don't care how much you spend. Got hurt and dropped out of 3D way back, never will get back to that level, just shoot for fun.

So while top end gear is super sweet, I just don't need it anymore . Proly cant justify it shooting wise either (assuming other stuff fits and feels good for lesser price).

Mid level stuff works good enough for me. Top end stuff a few yrs old can be solid bargains too. Esp when your friends need the "latest and greatest" and have the same DL as you.

My cuz gets his stuff used, like new, about 3 yrs old, from a buddy we work with LOL. Bows depreciate so much........bargain hunters can make out like a bandit.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
My buddy has a Prime (think "Rival").
He's been on the hunt for indoor and 3d rig.......has had a fair number of $$$ bows.
I trust his judgement, and he loves the G5.
Haven't shot it yet but will next time I go over.

His standby is a Bowtech Assassin. That bow was IMHO a "great buy". Fast enough, quiet enough..........and didn't cost a kidney.

I used to shoot the top end stuff, but deer don't care how much you spend. Got hurt and dropped out of 3D way back, never will get back to that level, just shoot for fun.

So while top end gear is super sweet, I just don't need it anymore . Proly cant justify it shooting wise either (assuming other stuff fits and feels good for lesser price).

Mid level stuff works good enough for me. Top end stuff a few yrs old can be solid bargains too. Esp when your friends need the "latest and greatest" and have the same DL as you.

My cuz gets his stuff used, like new, about 3 yrs old, from a buddy we work with LOL. Bows depreciate so much........bargain hunters can make out like a bandit.

Archery talk classifieds you can pick up yr old bows in some cases this yr bows for dirt cheap prices. Those guys over their must have more money than brains lol. They will buy (insert bow name) month later sell it so they can buy another bow. I picked up a 2015 obsession addiction obb less than a 100 shots on the string $575 shipped..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 4ager

you shoot a prime??

I will be now, yes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
62 lbs

Prime Rize, and I've owned every major bow company's "flagship" bows over the last year (with the exception of Obsession, sorry 280A). The Rize is my favorite, hands down. If you haven't tried a Prime, I HIGHLY encourage it.

Another item of note, if you are into archery a press and draw board is critical. If I had to run to the bow shop every time something needed to be done I would get out of archery. There is no way to properly set up a bow and tune, change strings, etc without them. Also, it allows you to take advantage of the deals to be had at AT. You can buy a new bow on the cheap, set it up and try it out, then trip it with little loss, if need be.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Once my bow is set up and tuned I'm good to go
Had the Heli-m for 4 yrs and had to do nothing to it,except wax string and cable. The latest problem needed to go to a dealer to get the new cam under warranty no big deal. I have my Outback as a back up bow in case I have a repair issue in season.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.