Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I hunt Here in Co and Wy mostly, from muzz elk season to end of November deer. I currently use a Stormkloth ll jacket as my final layer. Lately, I have been in a few showers and realized it was resistant not water proof. I'm debating about replacing this jacket with a Kuiu jacket. I'm looking at either the Chugach or Yukon, with possibly a super down as a under layer as it gets colder in November.

Any thoughts? Which jacket will perform/ feel similar to my stormkloth but be waterproof?

Any help appreciated as this is a lot of money to spend without ever seeing or feeling the product firsthand.

Thanks
Bryan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have either of the 2 you mentioned but I do have the guide jacket and it is rated water resistant but shed water very good during 3 days of rain in our 2015 Missouri deer season.

I am 6'2" and hunt at 205 to 210 lbs and had to send the XL guid jacket back because is fit ultra tight.

I have the 2X now and can wear a couple thin layers under it but no doubt couldn't get a puffer under it.

Kuiu must cut their clothing very very small because I don't own any 2X anything other than the jacket of theirs.

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So you didn't get wet from the 3 days of rain? A few years ago we flooded and I was soaked after 5 days. I was thinking 3xl so I had plenty of room. I'm 6'02 and 270

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It must have had a coating on it. The rain beaded up and rolled off....but after a washing it may not do as well

I'll try this out before my next trips

http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-accesso...color=Clear&cgid=field-gear#start=16

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have been considering some Kuiu gear as well. However, I am a little hesitant because Kuiu gear is marketed more towards the active/hiking hunter, who stays warm by moving about. I find myself doing more stand hunting than moving around and think I need warmer/heavier cloth. Any comments on my thoughts? Or am I misguided?

Thanks

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have Kuiu gear, very happy with it. Being from MN i use most of my Kuiu gear out west. But also use it here in MN for stand hunting. Going to stand in the morning,dont get over heated. And also for extra layer when in stand all day.
Its light weight enough compresses good in my pack. Last couple of years i have been mixing in more Kuiu gear when stand hunting,cause it fits way better and doesnt way you down like those big orange parka jackets do.

Hope this helps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For my tree stand cold weather gear I use Graywolf Woolen as my outer layer

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had all three of the KUIU jackets you are asking about. The Superdown jacket is very warm for its weight but does not vent well while hiking. I think the newer KUIU jackets with synthetic insulation do like the Kenai maybe. I have the old Spindrift jacket that does vent while hiking. As far as rain gear the Yukon line is meant to wear all day everyday when is constantly raining like Alaska. It is a heavier jacket than the Chugach and therefore warmer to wear by itself. The Chugach line is their rain gear to throw in your backpack for use when you need it. I have worn the Yukon pants alone in cold rain and such up north. Right now I just have the Yukon stuff.

Last edited by sheephunter2; 03/05/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PS KUIU has a 15% off sale going on now for the Yukon line. Lasts 4 days I think.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So Sheephunter2 for climbing the Mtns chasing elk, as a layer but a bonus if it rains, would you say the Yukon or Chugach?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are looking just for a jacket to wear that is waterproof and windproof and bulletproof I would get a Yukon. I wear mine with a long sleeved merino top and carry a down vest for glassing and it works for me. If you are looking for rain gear only I'd get the Chugach and I'd probably get the 3xl. I am 5'11' 210 and xl is perfect for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would probably not wear a Yukon bowhunting unless it was windy and or raining. Not as quiet as the Guide Jacket which I used to have also.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
So for my needs, which are more stand hunting than hiking/active hunting, the guide jacket would be my best option? I guess one could say there are better options out there than the Kuiu brand as a whole?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You could use KUIU for stand hunting but it is really designed for mountain type hunting - hiking, glassing, etc. I have used Cabelas MTO50 fleece rain gear when horseback, standing hunting, and in a duck blind as well as Rivers West fleece rain gear. Both are heavier and not too noisy. Sitka has some heavier stuff for stand hunting but it is pricey as hell.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I hear you about Sitka being expensive as hell. Lol
Thanks for your input.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So the Chugach is a rain jacket only, basically? For what I mentioned above, sounds like look at the Yukon (which is heavy) or guide (which isn't water proof just resistant)

Sound correct?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can wear the Chugach for a light jacket but it is a hardshell like the Yukon only lighter. Hardshell is a rain jacket. The Guide jacket which is water and wind Resistant is a softshell and quieter. The Yukon is a brushed hardshell also and Waterproof and Windproof but is a bit noisier than the Guide jacket. They make a couple of synthetic jackets for layering you could put with any of these and be set. You gotta pick your poison. They take returns if you don't like something after you get it. Easy to work with.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Perfect thanks for the info. I think my stormkloth is a soft shell so I will try the guide.

Thanks for all the help

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought the Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants for a Spring 2015 Kodiak bear hunt. It is totally bombproof. I wore it every day but once, as either as wind protection or for rain. And, when it rained, it rained down, up, sideways, etc. I was very, very, very impressed and can't say enough good things.

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deputy30
So for my needs, which are more stand hunting than hiking/active hunting, the guide jacket would be my best option? I guess one could say there are better options out there than the Kuiu brand as a whole?

Take a look at First Lite.

He went over yonder way
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.