Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I can't even stomach the idea of bringing myself to try that Outdoor Herbivore vegan stuff. It's against my religion! grin

You can always add meat smile

Ed T

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The good to go meals are quite good as well. The curry and pad thai are my favorites.

Last edited by kenaiking; 06/13/16.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I can't even stomach the idea of bringing myself to try that Outdoor Herbivore vegan stuff. It's against my religion! grin

You can always add meat smile
It's called Chipmunk.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with buying the Costco MH is that you pretty much have to take a bulk pack of ten or twelve items (whatever it is) and half of the meals taste like cardboard or worse. I use lots of freeze-dried and I think it's worth it to pay full price and get stuff that tastes good to me. I mix in some dehydrated stuff and some tortillas to create variety and improve flavor.

I liked the MH Chicken Fajita Filling. To my taste it was the best that they ever offered. But they have stopped making it. Too many people griping about quantity.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Brad
The problem with Freeze Dried food is it's a chemical mess. I've gotten to where I can barely tolerate it (physically). I just don't like putting that kind of chit in my body.

So in recent years I've switched back to slightly heavier, more cook-time required dehydrated meals. The "Heathers Choice" linked above is NOT freeze dried... it's dehydrated, like these linked below.

Haven't tried this yet, but plan to:

http://hawkvittles.com/

Pretty good:

http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/Food

My favorite:

http://outdoorherbivore.com/

Freeze dryers large enough to produce at a retail level are incredibly expensive. Heck, they're even expensive at a personal-sized level:

https://harvestright.com/

Our backpacking buddy just bought one of the Harvest Right freeze driers. Will be testing out meals this summer. Good old organic elk and antelope will figure into some of the meals!

How often do you eat freeze dried meals a year?

I'm just curious. A couple of weeks of that ain't going to kill me. And taste wise I've not found a bad MH meal yet.

But then we are typically not all that picky and I'd eat MREs just as well, but for the weight.

We have a couple of dehydrated recipe books and such, and for the couple of weeks or so a year, max of a month, that we eat freeze dried, its not worth the extra effort, at least not to us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's an old saying that the quality of the food is directly proportional to the distance from the road. About anything tastes good when I'm really hungry.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's an old saying that the quality of the food is directly proportional to the distance from the road. About anything tastes good when I'm really hungry.

Yup!

I’ve tried to avoid the freeze dried meals (Ramen, homemade etc) but on a longer trip, 5-7 days, it is about the only reasonable way to go for a hot quick meal before bed. I can deal with granola bars, jerky, and Snickers for breakfast/lunch but really look forward to a hot meal and a little whiskey by the fire at night. I definitely agree with Brad that the food has a bad ‘chemical’ quality and way too salty. Grab a couple Tabasco foil packs from Chic Filet and it helps the flavor. Mountainhouse seems the least objectionable brand to me. I stick with simpler meals like turkey tetrazzini, spaghetti, but admit I actually LIKE the Chili Mac (my tent mate – not so much!).

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I used to eat the Hawk Vittles meals,and for a while I enjoyed them, but kinda got tired of them. Lately I've been buying meals from Packit Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) and really like their meals. I even eat some of them at home for lunch on occasion. I'm a big fan of their Gumbo, Texas State Fair Chili, and the loaded Cheeseburger Wraps.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.