Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Eland. absolutely Eland.

Impala was a fine second and Zebra fillet was definitely tastey!

Hunt Africa while you can
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Elk hunter, That's an interesting twist to this. I too have had eland from Texas and I could not tell a taste difference from the Africa fed animals. However Kudu is a more distinct taste. The Kudu steaks I've eaten from Texas were not exactly the same taste as those from Africa. I guess that is based on the diet they have in Texas. Kudu being browsers eating the leaves must be enough different then they have in Africa. Where the Eland being grazers utilizing the grasses the Steaks were identical.

Guess grass is grass but leaves are much different at developing the flavor?

I believe you are correct. I've eaten mule deer (not my favorite) that came from some high mountain meadows that was decent but the mule deer I've eaten that lived mostly in sage country was plain old nasty.
The Axis deer I hunt in the Texas hill country are as good eating as any wild game I've ever had and they are grazers as well as browsers and will and do eat nearly anything. This is the reason you will almost never kill an Axis that's not fat and slick no matter the range conditions. They out compete WT deer and are taking over many traditional WT ranges. Excellent eating animals though.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 03/09/16.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zebra grilled by only John Sharp!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Thick eland t-bones cooked rare on the braai for me!

Sitting around the grill chugging a couple beverages while the meat sizzles. Doesn't get any better than that!

The image makes me yearn...

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I thought the ellie wasn't too bad (it was a roast though), although is smelled like rotten meat, it had a nice tender flavor that melted in your mouth.

I have always heard eland is the best, but I have never tried it.

Buff - okay, but tough
Ostrich - ugh!

BH63

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Hartebeest chops, Mountain Zebra schnitzel, Sticky Croc and elephant cheeks.
Game is good in Africa. Not a big fan of African beef.
[Linked Image]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Never had eland, have heard it's fantastic. If it is any better than the gemsbok steaks I've eaten I'd have to taste it to believe it. The Hartman's zebra steaks were out of this world good too, followed closely by springbok and kudu steaks.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

I recognize that campfire. I will second JG Raider on the mountain zebra. It blew me away. But then Danie is pretty handy on the braai.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
timeoff.....ain't it a great place to be, around the fire at Kowas? I'm going back for more in August.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I warned your azz before your first trip. This is what #4 since I last went to Africa. You're gonna O.D.! smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
MY favorite was a grilled mountain reedbuck that I'd shot a few days prior - that's in camp.

Our last night we went to dinner n PE and I had Ostrich - absolutely delicious!!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Cape Buff tail for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
I warned your azz before your first trip. This is what #4 since I last went to Africa. You're gonna O.D.! smile

Yes you did, I will admit, but I thought I had more will power than that......wrong! My kids haven't had Christmas since 2012 as a result. You're akin to the drug lords in MX around my house......safari lord?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sure must have a draw for some folks. I liken it to the extreme draw that AK has for the wife and I!

4 trips since 2012 is cool!

We've been lucky not to miss AK in a long enough time I can't remember and will hopefully be moving in a few years!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
rost, I've never hunted Alaska, and really want to do so still to this day. However, in the 44 yrs I've been chasing big game, there's nothing like Africa I've every seen. The sheer numbers of game, the native trackers that have to be seen to be believed....it's amazing stuff that I really cannot describe. I felt just like you up until about 5 years ago though.

Anyone besides me already mention zebra steaks??????

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/11/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Figuring could be dangerous to me... I"d have the desire to move just like we are going to try to move to AK.

Dont' think it would be that easy to Africa or that I"d want to.

Alaska is simply a totally different thing IMHO. Just different tastes for different folks.

Dang those steaks look great!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Eland tenderloin. Possibly cause I arrowed it and we had it last night in camp

NRA Patron
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Eland tenderloin. Possibly cause I arrowed it and we had it last night in camp

Please accept turbo suck award!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by hatari

Yes you did, I will admit, but I thought I had more will power than that......wrong! My kids haven't had Christmas since 2012 as a result. You're akin to the drug lords in MX around my house......safari lord?

A new moniker is in order. El Chappedass maybe?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I try to get to Alaska and Africa equally as often. Right now Africa is ahead by one, so I guess next time it's Alaska!

Have had some excellent food in Alaska lodges, but in tent camps Africa's way ahead!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.