Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by nurse
Cape Buff tail for me.

Me too.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

DLS Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Like most others, I'll put Eland right at the top. I also think sable is quite good, as well as Kudu and Gemsbok. One that not so many get to try that was nice was Red Lechwe and one that I ate so much because it was so good was Sharpe's Grysbok. Leopard backstraps are quite similar to pork but you still know you're eating a cat, lion is OK but you really know you're eating a cat. I did NOT like elephant trunk. In general elephant is just OK, in my opinion. I think waterbuck is better than most give it credit for.

As for Buffalo, 20,000 lions can't be wrong... 😉

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll add Giraffe to the mix. I would never shoot one but the ribs were out of this world and I can only imagine what the tenderloins would be like. This cooked over a camel thorn fire.

I asked my Namibian hosts what they cooked this over being a BBQ geek and they said wood. They didn't get the idea that the wood added a unique flavor for me. For them it was the the norm.

On Warthog I grew quite fond of the back straps done as a schnitzel eating this up to twice a day was not a burden.

Eland is beyond compare right done to the tail as a stew or a sort of Osobuco.

Fact is it is all good especially in the bush, just hope I can go back.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vote goes to Nyala. I had a fantastic steak seared in coconut oil, and roasted on a pan for 15 minutes, served with a brown onion sauce and mashies. Phenomenal!!

Eric

[Linked Image]

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is the best thread I've ever started!! smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Cape Buff tail for me.

Me too.

Soup like ox tail soup? I've had it and it is fantastic!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Cape Buff tail for me.

Me too.

Soup like ox tail soup? I've had it and it is fantastic!

In my case it was slow roasted. Haven't found an Africa steak that can compare.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody like moose better than eland or zebra?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I ate moose three to four times a day for several weeks and I still like it. Had it been grilled like the African fare I might rank it even higher. All I can say is they both are great and hope there is more in my future.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I like moose just as much.

But have also mentioned elsewhere that wild game meat varies far more than commercially raised meat, because the age and condition of individual animals varies considerably. Add to that the handling of the meat after it's killed, and the fact that game can more easily ruined by poor cooking than meat with more fat. Any call on what kind of game tastes bests depends far more on personal experiences with specific animals, and how the meat was treated before cooking and in the kitchen. I've had meat from both African and North American big game animals that were ruined by poor field care and/or cooking. Have had meat from animals that wouldn't rate very high among most hunters taste great when cared for and cooked correctly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For those of you that have not had a reedbuck steak, let me tell you it is the best. Even when compared to eland, oryx, kudu and nyala.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Eland is still my favorite, although I really liked moose and bison very much as well. Axis is another good one, but one I don't really care for is venison as in whitetail... Also, I remember one night in Africa in Mururu Camp (Dande North), we were served buffalo tenderloin strips' lightly battered and sauteed in butter. Both my wife and I loved it and that is her favorite.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My first moose from AK really gives my NM elk a run for the money. Hmmm, now if I went back every other year.....................

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

We basically live on moose at home, and after enough years of that anything but moose starts looking pretty good. grin Calves are different, that's about as good as it gets. It used to be that our open season was for bulls and calves; but that's changed now. It takes a draw tag to get the best eating, cut your steak with a fork stuff now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find moose to be bland. Just me?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyody ever had warthog that was edible? I've taken a couple of them, and frankly was disappointed in the table fare. Sure isn't pork, I'll tell you that. Maybe mine were old boars and a young one might be better, but I found them tough and not particularly tasty.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I rank the warthog I sampled on the same level as aoudad.....it sucked big time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had wart-hog loin that had been cured in a ham/bacon process. It was neither great nor bad; in fact if I hadn't been told about it I would have just piled it up beside the eggs and never given it another thought. At least it was cooked, which as you know isn't a given with African bacon.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had warthog; old boar cooked in a poikie(spelling?) pot which I really enjoyed. This was in Namibia in 2009.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Best is Mountain Zebra. 2nd would probably be Black Wildebeest.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.