Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have it in my head that I need a 40-65.
Not just want, need. Yeah, I have it bad...

I have the choices narrowed down to an 1885 High Wall or a '74 Shiloh. I think I know which way I am leaning but wanted to see what some more experienced than me have to say on it.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get a Sharps. I need one, too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 but they are in 1886's. It is a nice cartridge and you can shoot it all day and not get beat up..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Research, and preferably handle and shoot rifles on those two actions. They are different, and it comes down to priorities and personal preference.

The Browning/Winchester 1885 came along about a decade after the 1874 Sharps, which "evolved" from muzzleloaders, having a side lock. I've owned and shot both, and even being a lefty, I was never bothered by the hammer being on the right side of the Sharps. The 1874 is simple to field strip, the 1885 in its modern Browning/Winchester version is anything but, but it is still my current favorite.

It also depends on the quality of the particular brand. Shilohs are superb, some other Sharps replicas not so much. In general, you get what you pay for.

A .40-65 is a damned good choice, especially if you want a shooter.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The Sharps is indeed a Shiloh, and is fairly new. My only concern with it is the fact it is a rechamber. I am going to call Shiloh and see if they did it. If not, it may be out of the running. I have zero issues with Shiloh's quality but have been kind of holding out for the right one in 45-90.

The '85 I have my eye on is working on it's 124th birthday. And I am a sucker for old Winchesters! My only concern with it is how accurate the description is. I am waiting on pictures of it, especially of the bore...

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to go wrong with either rifle. Also nice are the CPA's..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, the particular Sharps I was eyeballing is out of the running. A phone call to Montana revealed that some details were left out and I no longer trust the seller.

Looks like it is down to the Winchester now. Just have to wait untill the auction and cross my fingers. I will still be looking in the meantime...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Get Yourself an 1886, you won't regret it and you can shoot everything from varmints to deer with it and they are plenty accurate and easy to load for...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Get Yourself an 1886, you won't regret it and you can shoot everything from varmints to deer with it and they are plenty accurate and easy to load for...

[Linked Image]

Trust me, that is on the list as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C Sharps had a really keen little hi wall in 40-65 on the available wall. It only had a 24 inch barrel, but gorgeous wood and nice checkering. Would make a really good hunting rifle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ranch13
C Sharps had a really keen little hi wall in 40-65 on the available wall. It only had a 24 inch barrel, but gorgeous wood and nice checkering. Would make a really good hunting rifle.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I saw it. I want a 26 - 30" barrel.
I spent some time on Shiloh's site also. I am looking every place possible because I only have used rifle money...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the CSA 75, good rifles for a low budget.

That little hi wall tho, the thing just feels so sweet in your hand and points so handy..If it had not of been for two other rifles already in the works,,

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Dixie/Pedersoli '74 Sharps in .40-65. Perfect for shooting BPCR silhouette but not historically correct. Same era, but different company. It was not chambered in sharps. I'd prefer a real sharps cartridge in the sharps.

The American made sharps guns and sights are better quality by the way.

Last edited by Bill Poole; 03/09/16.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I have a Dixie/Pedersoli '74 Sharps in .40-65. Perfect for shooting BPCR silhouette but not historically correct. Same era, but different company. It was not chambered in sharps. I'd prefer a real sharps cartridge in the sharps.

The American made sharps guns and sights are better quality by the way.

I have seen some really nice Pedersolis but I want the real McCoy. Besides the 40-65, I want a Shiloh in 45-90. In fact, what I am after is something in a max barrel length of 30",with the half round, half octagon profile to help keep the weight under 10 pounds. I had a 32" full heavy octagon at one time but it just too heavy. I plan on hunting with it. In fact, I want to take an elk and a buffalo with one...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hepburns Rule!

Have a look at a DZ Hepburn, great rifles, have four.

R
R
If I wanted the best price on a 40-65 I would get a C Sharps model 75, in fact I did. Excellent shooter. They also make the Hi Wall, have one of them too. Very nice rifles.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and me too.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and me too.

LOL - I am holding out for a Shiloh in 45-90.
I have a Trapdoor Officer Model, as well as a Marlin lever in 45-70 so I am looking for something different.

This last Sunday I went to an auction that had an original '85 in 40-65 from 1893 that had a very good bore but the outside was probably an honest 60% gun. $1000 should have brought that rifle home with enough change to buy dinner and a tank of gas to boot. Two jerks got into a bidding war and the winning idiot paid $2950 for it.

You would think a person could find a good, honest rifle for the price of a new Italian... I am looking everyplace I know, but so far either they are not out there or I just haven't found them yet.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Stay the course and keep checkbook handy, they're out there, a Shiloh number one sporter with bone pack and nice walnut would be the shizzle for me.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Part of what drove this kick is that I think it needs a unique partner. I did the leather work too...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, very nice HTRedneck.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kudos, and compliments on the craftsmanship !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been thinking about a .40-65 (or a .38-55) for deer & pigs. This one would make a neat companion to my .45-90:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547438397

but alas heavier than I really care to use for a mild caliber.

Wonder what a 1877 with a 26" std weight 1/2 Octagon would weigh? grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Patrick, a stoked 40-65 is ANYTHING but a "Mild Caliber",...I'm willing to bet that handing a shooter identical rifles,....45-70 and 40-65 for a long string of shots, that by 5-6 each, he'll not be able to tell you which is which.

and if you want a REAL .38, ...go with the original, the 38-50 Rem Hep.
That one IS a pussycat.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the compliments guys!
I would guess that Shiloh, with their heavy octagon barrel is pushing 11 pounds. If I remember correctly, both the '85 High Wall and '86 Win are in the 9 - 9.5 pound range.

A Shiloh is out of my range for now but I wanted another single shot rifle that I can carry hunting within reasonable distances. I have taken several deer with my 45-70s so I also wanted a different caliber. To me the 38-55 is a lever gun caliber. That led me to the range of 40s. Which then took me to the '85. A little different rifle in a little different caliber... because I am a little different kind of guy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Patrick, a stoked 40-65 is ANYTHING but a "Mild Caliber",...I'm willing to bet that handing a shooter identical rifles,....45-70 and 40-65 for a long string of shots, that by 5-6 each, he'll not be able to tell you which is which.

and if you want a REAL .38, ...go with the original, the 38-50 Rem Hep.
That one IS a pussycat.

GTC

Thanks - yeah I can see that point. Though my interest is for a hunting rifle, which won't see a long string of shots.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can do a C Sharps 75 for about 1500 or less in a very handy hunting configuration.

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
You can do a C Sharps 75 for about 1500 or less in a very handy hunting configuration.

"Should be able to do..." Would be a more accurate statement.
With the emphasis on should!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

Tell it brother. You are dang sure right about that. But most people will not listen and only after they find out for themselves do they remember what you said.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by htredneck

"Should be able to do..." Would be a more accurate statement.
With the emphasis on should!

No I said can, meant what I said, said what I meant.
http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail/423/1875-TARGET-SPORTING-40-CAL-ANY-sn-3589.html

www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 224th, 53 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.