Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's legal -

Coyote Snare guide for Michigan

Video - may or may not be current but gives an idea.

[video:youtube]ZAzgPL9BbuA[/video]

Me

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read the Michigan regs a couple years ago and dispatch snares were illegal. The only type of snares you could use were non lethal snares. They have to have relaxing locks, deer stops on them, and two swivels. They cannot be attached in a way that the coyote can get entangled or strangulate.

Unless something has changed in the regs, I personally would skip snaring under those conditions, but then again, if you can check once a day, maybe its not so bad. A canine in a non lethal snare is going to tear the hell out of itself and your gear. I'd rather have them dispatched shortly after the catch and long before I get there.

Good luck, they can be tricky to catch depending how wary they are. The young ones can be incredibly stupid, but they can learn fast.

Last edited by Pittu; 10/20/15. Reason: Teal had already posted the link....

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks again for your input, Pittu. You too, Teal.

I'll probably forgo the snares. They were only appealing due to what I thought was their simplicity, but if they have to have this, that and another thing to be legal, they're no simpler than a trap.

I gotta look into getting a few traps now.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not trying to steal the thread---

Caught a coyote in a hog snare today-- stuff happens!
Also had a deer in the hog trap-- turned it loose.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got back from Eastern MT yesterday.
There was an old guy with 3 coyotes in his truck and some coil spring jaw traps.
I asked him how he could trap a coyote when I am kicking up a cotton tail or hare every few feet in the sage brush.

He said he was putting lure on a bone.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
keep us abreast of your progress.

That scalped spot with the turds is a public read board of sorts. They crap to mark their presence and others will follow suit to communicate.

Set on either side of it, one dirt hole, one flat with gland.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As a kid I. Did a lot of trapping but never ever could catch a coyote in a leg hold...had some old timers show me sets and how to sift dirt ect..fence line snares would get them tho...caught a few that way....dog hunters hate snares but tough they weren't supposed to be running there....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
As a kid I. Did a lot of trapping but never ever could catch a coyote in a leg hold...had some old timers show me sets and how to sift dirt ect..fence line snares would get them tho...caught a few that way....dog hunters hate snares but tough they weren't supposed to be running there....

If you will put a stop on the snare, it will catch the coyotes, dogs, deer, etc and not choke them to death. That way you can release the dogs and deer, alive.

I could be that the coyote ate the apple, they eat pears. Put a game camera out and you can see what is coming around. I killed 5 coyotes eating pears, this past September (may have been August). They started eating them at night, but after about 10 days to 2 weeks, they started coming in the daytime. Their mistake!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never caught any pets it was always someone's hound out coon hunting..
Never bothered with a stop as they would just take the snare...and then have choice words for me.....and they were trespassing on our farm...go figure...I ran hounds too and my dog would not choke himself with a snare..he just waited for me to rescue him...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pittu
I read the Michigan regs a couple years ago and dispatch snares were illegal. The only type of snares you could use were non lethal snares. They have to have relaxing locks, deer stops on them, and two swivels. They cannot be attached in a way that the coyote can get entangled or strangulate.

Unless something has changed in the regs, I personally would skip snaring under those conditions, but then again, if you can check once a day, maybe its not so bad. A canine in a non lethal snare is going to tear the hell out of itself and your gear. I'd rather have them dispatched shortly after the catch and long before I get there.

Good luck, they can be tricky to catch depending how wary they are. The young ones can be incredibly stupid, but they can learn fast.

I've been using "snares" known as "cable restraints" in Michigan for 10 years...we use what is allowed better than nothing ...sure would like to use" dispatch snares" being we can only use "cable restrains" only on private land...

Its the best way to eliminate coyotes in deer yards in the UP when we get a couple feet of snow in January and February...I've caught only one deer in 10 years a very small fawn and it was released...I use jump sticks across deer runways...deer go over coyotes go under...I do loose 1-2 coyotes a year to wolves killing and ripping to pieces a caught coyote...

Last year I caught in "cable restraints" 43 coyotes on 1600 acres of private land...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used a bait/attractant successfully. Stake down a dead sheep in an open field and set a scent post set downwind nearby. Don't set the bait itself or you are liable to catch an eagle or hawk.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Bed the trap SOLID and u will be successful

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Set the trap were he puts his foot down

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started trapping rats (muskrats) when I was 10 years old (1973). Caught thousands of them. A few mink, skunks, weasels, ducks, pheasants etc... Back in the day, I was getting $7.00 for an avg rat, and upwards of $13.00-$14.00 for a nice big one. Bringing home a check of $750-$1000 a month as a 15 year old kid.

I trapped beaver too. But by far the most difficult was Mr. Wiley Coyote.

Read lots of books, talk to lots of old timers and then develop a routine that works for you.

Good Luck !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know if this link will work; but I know the guy who wrote this article on trapping coyotes in his career he has probably filled several dump truck loads full of problem coyotes. The trap he is setting in the pictures are sterling mj 600's and they do fit inside a plastic sandwich bag when set. Those traps are powerful leg holds. Hope that helps.

http://bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/C660.pdf

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Guys on the deer lease catch them. They hang a big treble hook 4 feet off the groung baited with hamburger. They do this by the place where dump deer and hog guts. They have caught quite a few.

Last edited by hanco; 08/02/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Guys on the deer lease catch them. They hang a big treble hook 4 feet off the groung baited with hamburger. They do this by the place where dump deer and hog guts. They have caught quite a few.

Sorry, I cannot hate any animal that much. A cat once caught itself on a sturgeon bait I left dangling out of the pickup bed. I hate cats and still felt bad for catching it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by hanco

Sorry, I cannot hate any animal that much. A cat once caught itself on a sturgeon bait I left dangling out of the pickup bed. I hate cats and still felt bad for catching it.

Agreed^^^^^^

That's truly f u c k e d up.....

You have some real a-holes at your Deer lease hanco.........

ETA....the fact that you allow it doesn't say much for you either.....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 08/03/16.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
No animal deserves that!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having trapped a lot of animals in my life, I'm having a difficult time seeing this work. Not that they would not bite it, but that they would still be there to see them on the line.

Are you suggesting that they are caught and still there when you arrive? Or is this a way to have them runoff with a treble hook in their mouth?

I've caught a pile of wild stuff that will fight so hard that they will do far more damage to themselves trying to escape then the trap alone could ever manage. I just don't see a coyote hooked in the thin skin of the lips or tongue staying put without ripping loose and running off. Raccoons, hogs, bear, coyote, wolverine, these guys are gonna rip lose and be gone I think in every case, especially upon your approach.

Cats, possums, skunks, and even Wolves, I could see them curl up and sleep til you arrive. They don't fight traps as relentlessly as the others.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 73 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.