Your blond is more blond than mine grin

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm slated to hunt black bear in Alberta at the end of May, which is near the end of their month-long spring bear season. The outfitter I signed on with has a pretty good success rate, and bears are a good size... 6'6" and up to 7' are common, average is a bit smaller than that. I haven't shot a bear in 40 years, I'm really looking forward to this hunt.

I'll be taking a new-to-me Savage 99 in 358 Win for this hunt. I've wanted a 99/358 for years, for black bear and hogs. I was going to take my 375 H&H, but when this M99 turned up, it was a done deal. I'd like to get a good truly black bear, but as they have a lot of color phase bears up there, I'll take whatever color presents itself in a decent size.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Having killed a few bears over bait in years past. I am really looking forward to trying to convince one into rifle range this year with a predator call.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I'm slated to hunt black bear in Alberta at the end of May, which is near the end of their month-long spring bear season. The outfitter I signed on with has a pretty good success rate, and bears are a good size... 6'6" and up to 7' are common, average is a bit smaller than that. I haven't shot a bear in 40 years, I'm really looking forward to this hunt.

I'll be taking a new-to-me Savage 99 in 358 Win for this hunt. I've wanted a 99/358 for years, for black bear and hogs. I was going to take my 375 H&H, but when this M99 turned up, it was a done deal. I'd like to get a good truly black bear, but as they have a lot of color phase bears up there, I'll take whatever color presents itself in a decent size.

Hey Doc, good choice. My stubby M760 in .358 will be going north of the border, too. Best of luck to you and your Savage 99.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Having killed a few bears over bait in years past. I am really looking forward to trying to convince one into rifle range this year with a predator call.

Have done that a few times, all good bears too. They can be slow, or they can come running! Don't like to shoot as much as to hunt. Calling bears is great sport.

Took my wife last spring and called in a nice cin. color bear, but let him go. My wife got a short video after she regained her composure, but he was in the brush by then. Hunt an area with lots of bears and mind the wind and you'll do fine.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/24/16.

LOL
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Doc, simply, 51 grs of TAC under the 200 gr TTSX. I am just five weeks out on my trip to Alaska.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, Ed. I've been making myself dizzy poring over load data tryin' to decide on a good "first" load. I've been leaning toward a 225 gr NPT, or a 200 gr TSX. I might could start with your load and go from there. I'd like to work up a good load with both, and do some penetration/expansion testing. Dunno if I have enough time before the bear hunt, though.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In my pre-64 M70 I use 52 grs. Thinking that one should back off a tad with the 99. We took said rifle and load to Africa in 2011 and slayed a pile of critters including kudu and gemsbuck. We recovered one bullet from a full longitudinal on a cull warthog.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fat bullets, bullets north of 30 cal, and bears are a good combo... I like it cool

NRA life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be hunting solo in Idaho GMU 12 mid May. Have no idea what to expect but plan to have a lot of fun. Hopefully everything won't be greened up by then.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are having a very early spring here, lots of green and not many bears out yet. With the lack of snow we will probably hunt a bit higher in elevation than normal. Decided to take out the 264 Win Mag loaded with 156 gr Oryx bullets and alternate with the 35 Whelen with the 200 gr TTSX. Just got in from shooting the 264 and it is doing quite well out to 300 yards. Looking forward to getting out the next few weeks.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I'm a little worried about getting to Idaho mid May and everything being greened up to the point of not being able to see anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might not see as many but they will still be there. Great time of year to be out, that's for sure.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here I am, two days into the spring season and have not got out yet.....hundred other things plus a few more.

Still got some snow up high in my favored places, can't get close to some by road because of snow. Plenty other open slopes to look at though.

The hawkeye sits quietly waiting..... good thing the season runs a little while.

NRA life member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The best hunting for the bigger bruins isn't until mid May anyhow.

I haven't hunted them in a few years, as I really don't enjoy eating the darn things...though in ID and WY you don't have to. I wish MT would see that light.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wasn't going to go bear hunting this year but with you guys talking about it now I think I might have to make a trip next month.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Still haven't gone. Work in full swing and gotta make money.

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Still haven't gone. Work in full swing and gotta make money.

True that....

My line of work I am in the mountains a lot, minimum of 9 months out of the year. Office with a view I have been told, It does have drawbacks.....

I spied a MAMOUTH of a bear about 500 yards across the other side of the drainage from my machine. Big enough it was very clear with my naked eyes it was a very big jet black bear, I am not licensed in that state where I am working for bear is the caveat. For me to spend the cabbage and plan to have all the out-of-state paper work to hunt in all the states I work would be rather steep.

Still was cool to spy the mamouth, not cool not to be able to put the hunt to it.

Darn work, darn offices with a view.

NRA life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting pretty excited about tramping about the Lolo area solo next month. Especially since I learned I'll have a wolf tag in my pocket as well. I'm just trying to decide between my 7-08 and my 358STA. The STA is great medicine on the bear, but I might rather have the 7-08 for wolf at longer ranges. The STA has accounted for one wolf already, but it was at 5 feet.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No bear for my spring season.... Just could not make it happen with upside down schedules.

NRA life member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 79 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,778
Posts18,401,620
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.