Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Reasonably accurate and reliable 22 semi pistol for truck gun. Ruger or Buckmark.?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
flip a coin....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pretty much where I am. LGS has 3-4 of each used for $300+/- like new. Inclined to try the Buckmark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what I would do.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, buy 1 each. "$300.00" is a great deal for either one.. From my experience, similar platforms shoot equally well, but buckmark generally has the better trigger... I'm thinking the ruger has it beat in dependability, though, when they get dirty. The Ruger is also easier to clean, as it doesn't require any tools...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
..buckmark. My experience has been they have a better trigger out of the box. I have buckmark pistols and a buckmark sporter and target versions of their rifle.

I also have had the rugers....

my .02
dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a std. Buckmark for a long time, maybe 25 years. As I recall when I bought it new it cost $178.00.

There's probably been a few but I can't recall any malfunctions and it's been shot a lot. It's more accurate than I can shoot it. The trigger's the best out of the box semiauto handgun trigger I've ever used. It hasn't required a lot of cleaning but that may be because most of the ammo through it has been CCI Mini Mags. I've had good luck with them not fouling much in all semiauto 22s. The only part I've ever replaced is the recoil post buffer, under ten bucks including shipping. It came out in pieces when I was cleaning the gun but the gun had been working fine.

There's different models of Buckmarks and lots of aftermarket parts and accessories but IMO the basic model's pretty good as is.

For all I know the Ruger might be better, I've never shot one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I owned the ruger and got tired of taking it apart to clean it. It was a royal pain in the button. I bought a buck mark and with the open sides I have yet to have to break it down. Even after thousands of rounds while using a can.

In my experience I'd buy the browning again.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Citori16: I am somewhat new to Browning BuckMarks (started buying and shooting them 5 - 6 years ago) I currently own 5 of them and I LOVE them all.
They are accurate, reliable, good looking, have great triggers and are FUN to shoot!
My current stable of Ruger's includes 12 models including MK-I's. MK-II's, MK-III's and 22/45's.
They are accurate, reliable, good looking, have great triggers and are FUN to shoot!
"Comparable" new models of the Ruger or the BuckMark are each about equally expensive with the Rugers a tad higher.
But if money is an object then on the used market (I have bought most of my BuckMarks on the used market) I think the BuckMarks can more often be found in the "good buy" category in the used market.
I don't know why?
Last week I went with my long time friend and Hunting partner to buy a Browning BuckMark pistol for his Gopher Hunting needs.
He wanted a new gun and we found a beautiful BuckMark with a green barrel and sharp flutes cut in that heavy barrel.
I do not have any idea what the model name/number is but it cost my friend $500.99!
Thats a lot.
There are other new models of the BuckMark that are cheaper than that but that pistol rates very high in the "cool looking department" and will serve my friend perfectly I am sure.
There are other new models of the BuckMark that are cheaper than that one.
One local gunshop that I am familiar with has 4 heavy barrel Rugers in their display case - they are sold out of BuckMarks.
The BuckMarks sell very quickly for this shop - maybe because they are somewhat/slightly less expensive comparably with the Rugers.
Best of luck with whichever you choose but I think you can not go wrong with either.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't tried a Ruger but I have a browning challenger and a buckmark I think would be hard to beat

Wac em and stack em
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience is they both give good service, so pick the one that feels best to you. If I had to guess based on my small sample size, the Ruger MK2 is probably a bit more reliable and durable than the Buck Mark. A buddy had a MK3 and I did not like it. He had to send it back to Ruger because it would not come apart and they ended up replacing the frame. I have a MK2 gov target model and can take it apart in my sleep, but I have owned it for about 25 years or so. My daughter has a new Buck Mark. Her first was lightly used and malfunctioned all the time. She took it back and has a new one that runs much better. Both are accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to add, I believe Ruger ships with 2 mags (at least they did 25 years ago). Browning ships with 1 mag and mags are about $30 at a shop and $25 or so online.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah? Well you can only use one at a time......

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
When it was MK2 vs Buckmark, I think both were great guns but the MK3 was a step backwards.

I've had both, still have the Buckmark.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do yourself a favor and check out the New Smith & Wesson Victory before you purchase the Ruger or Browning

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K1500
My experience is they both give good service, so pick the one that feels best to you. If I had to guess based on my small sample size, the Ruger MK2 is probably a bit more reliable and durable than the Buck Mark. A buddy had a MK3 and I did not like it. He had to send it back to Ruger because it would not come apart and they ended up replacing the frame. I have a MK2 gov target model and can take it apart in my sleep, but I have owned it for about 25 years or so. My daughter has a new Buck Mark. Her first was lightly used and malfunctioned all the time. She took it back and has a new one that runs much better. Both are accurate.

I also find the Ruger very easy to take apart. It also does not require tools like the buckmark does, for a complete teardown..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Citori16
Reasonably accurate and reliable 22 semi pistol for truck gun. Ruger or Buckmark.?

Neither. An Advantage Arms 22 conversion for the Glock you already own, or should own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a Browning Plus UDX last month and it has been great. It seemed better balanced in my hand compared to the Ruger and I liked the grips better.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by Citori16

Neither. An Advantage Arms 22 conversion for the Glock you already own, or should own.

Seriously? I don't think there is a Glock on the planet with a trigger as nice as any of my Buckmarks out of the box.

Not Glock bashing here. I happen to like them for what they are, which is not target rimfire platforms.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Get a Buckmark grip frame is the registered part if you want a different barrel you just swap it out....Ruger barrel is a registered part of the gun.....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 04/08/16.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,723
Posts18,457,285
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.