Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11012993 03/03/16
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have embraced heresy fully and as a result may have to rename my cartridge the .30 SBN (Sneezer Bottle Nose).

Took a walk into the unknown today by loading up a very few rounds with Lord Black. I do not have a .30 cal compression die and my results are likely flavored by that fact, but the numbers follow:

Load #1: Brooks 183.5 Gr, dry wax lubed seated to 1.875" over 14 grains of Goex 3FG. That charge fills the case to the juncture of shoulder/neck which is where the bullet base comes to rest when seated. WW SRP, .001" neck tension.
#1 fired w/o suppressor: 777 fps @ 10'. Moderate fouling, no leading
#2 fired w/ suppressor: 806 fps, report somewhat louder than smokeless load but not much.

Load #2: Same specs other than, 1.2 gr Dupont 700X under 12.5 gr Goex 3FG.
#1 fired w/o suppressor: 913 fps, light fouling, no leading
#2 fired w/ suppressor: 838 fps, very light fouling, no leading. Report mildly elevated

The loads were an exploratory venture, not shot at a target. The loads were fired one each w/o suppressor, swabbed between shots, then one each w/ suppressor without swabbing.

The fouling was mild with both the duplex loads and somewhat surprisingly light given that the two fired with the can did not seem to foul particularly bad. Could be the duplex load erased the fouling footprint of the first to some degree.

Before going further I will find myself a compression die for the .30 cal and see what transpires. The velocity spreads were rather bizarre in my opinion. The velocities achieved were nonetheless perfectly useful for the cartridge, particularly with the duplex load.

Don't tell my wife that suppressors are dishwasher safe, OK?

Dan

PS: It works very well by the way.

laugh

L-R: Load 1 and 2 in order, swabbed after each shot. Load 1&2 as one
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Left out the important part. There was no unburnt powder residue in the baffle stack.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I guess I've jumped in the middle of the story here. Have you posted details/pics of the rifle and cartridge here before?

Looks a lot like a necked down .357 case...

Intriguing, to say the least. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Purpose?

Looks similar in concept to the .32 Miller, popular among Schuetzen shooters. The Miller is a straight taper, necked down from .357 Magnum brass, I believe.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I guess I've jumped in the middle of the story here. Have you posted details/pics of the rifle and cartridge here before?

Looks a lot like a necked down .357 case...

Intriguing, to say the least. grin

Ed

Ed, there's a bit more here.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10716355/1/The_best_curve...

Put this here with tongue in cheek, so to speak.

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
Purpose?

To make good pigs out of live ones?

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dan, if you would like any more references for your edification you might look up the 30 Reese. It was cooked up by a guy named Carson Reese from Lebanon, Mo a few years ago to do somewhat the same as you have intended. He did a lot of development and it has to be somewhere on the web. We did some shooting together from time to time and he handed me a set of dies he had Hornady make. To this point I have yet to enter the foray so to speak. Guys like you might keep prodding me though.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
First to acknowledge I'm not the first down this trail, but there are a few differences germane to the endeavor. Both the .30 Reece and .30 Badger were pointed in a different ballistic direction. Both have shorter necks, and in the case of the Reece were dedicated to max performance from a velocity perspective. BTW, the Badger is based on the .38 SPCL case, not that it matters a great deal.

The .32 Miller is formed with .357 Max brass while the Miller short uses the shorter Mag brass. Nothing wrong with any of them but I had a very specific goal, that being a suppressed subsonic cast bullet shooter. I looked at an awful wide range of cartridge designs but couldn't find anything more idiot proof than a .30 cal bore and a long necked .357 case. It has met all of my objectives, though I still fiddle with load options, hence the BP adventure.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is based on the .38 Special case? Or the .32-20 case?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
.357 Mag case, sketch below that is fairly accurate as to dims. Discussion with Dave Manson led to some minor changes, but nothing that would be obvious to the eye. As example, there is a very small taper in the case body which is not reflected in the sketch. The neck is very slightly shorter and the MAX C.O.A.L. is 1.880".

[Linked Image]

Anyone wishing to build one of these might be prepared for some expense. Dies, Mould, and Reamer rang in around $600.00 total. Barrel was about 2/3 additional. Don't have any interest in commercializing the cartridge and if anyone wishes to follow along, let me know. Everyone involved in the process did a very excellent job and I would highly recommend any of them. Good news is that they all know how to build it now, so delay might not be a large issue. Reamer might be available, will ponder that as needed.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/04/16.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be a real interesting cartridge for a light single shot, like say a Martini Cadet, a Stevens 44, or, of course, for the Contender smile

You had a chance yet to shoot a pig with it?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not as of yet. The state went cockeyed awhile back and spent the last 9 months converting from a permitted volunteer format to contracted hitman. Just got that finalized a few days back. Up until then I was restricted to .22 RF due to noise concerns. Along the way they legalized hunting with mufflers. SHAZAAM!

Problem I had with the RF was the necessity for proper aspect before jerking the trigger, that being somewhat dependent upon size of the hog. Much over 125# the only reliable shot was between the eyes, snout down. I'm fairly confident this round will alleviate that problem.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me I need to get my .300 Rook running. smile

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes you do!

Had a .297-250 some years back, wound up selling it, wish I hadn't.

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

....I don't know nothin' bout birthin' no cah tridges...

....but Ill give it a straight up "sexy".

...cause usually a bare naked, slow motion sneeze is not sexy.

The Laws of Nature have been suspended.

Last edited by WillARights; 03/11/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 76 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.