Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
This really is sickening:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ons/fish-consumption-bans-and-advisories

It has prevented me from buying a fishing boat for several years. I am still on the fence about it.

PCB's, Dioxins, Mercury......What more?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
PCB's, Dioxins, Mercury......What more?

None of those will hurt the boat.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Really though, I just looked at your link and that's insane. Where is all the pollution coming from? It basically limits consumption to 8oz./per month for fish coming from the Gulf.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Someone needs to be paying heavy fines.

There are also advisories on fish consumption here too but I'm calling a bluff on some of them, Fort patric henry reservoir is up stream of cherokee reservoir. Fort Pat has no advisory, and cherokee has no advisory but John Sevier reservior does and it's right between the other two. Therer is no industry or anything on that small reservoir, it's almost all wilderness and a few farms.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Really though, I just looked at your link and that's insane. Where is all the pollution coming from? It basically limits consumption to 8oz./per month for fish coming from the Gulf.

WHERE DO CONTAMINANTS COME FROM?
Contaminants end up in water in a variety of ways:

Industrial and municipal discharges, agricultural practices, and storm water runoff can all deposit harmful substances directly into the water.
Rain can wash chemicals from the land or air into streams and rivers. These contaminants are then carried downstream into lakes, reservoirs and estuaries.
Fish take in these substances in several ways, and their contaminant levels depend on factors like species, size, age and location.

Mercury, for example, is naturally converted by bacteria into methylmercury. Fish absorb methylmercury mostly from their food, but also from the water as it passes over their gills. Generally, larger and older fish have had more time to bioaccumulate mercury from their food and the water than smaller and younger fish. In addition, large predatory fish (like sharks and swordfish) near the top of marine food chains are more likely to have high levels of mercury than fish lower in marine food chains due to the process of biomagnification.

Fish can also absorb organic chemicals (such as PCBs, dioxins and DDT) from the water, suspended sediments, and their food. In contaminated areas, bottom-dwelling fish are especially likely to have high levels of such toxins because these substances run off the land and settle to the bottom. These organic chemicals then concentrate in the skin, organs and other fatty tissues of fish. Wild striped bass, bluefish, American eel, and seatrout tend to be high in PCBs, since they are bottom-tending fish often found in contaminated rivers and estuaries.

http://seafood.edf.org/common-questions-about-contaminants-seafood

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I meant much more specifically...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Several industry polluters in the Dallas area have been cited heavily in the last 30 years for dumping untold amounts of contaminants into the Trinity River which flows to the Gulf of Mexico.

The San Jacinto river in the Houston area always has a stench.

Buffalo Bayou being the headwaters for the Houston Ship Channel is beyond help.

Every waterway in the Houston area wreaks of pollutants. Downstream is Texas City & Galveston, certainly no poster children for environmental purity.

And last, but certainly the heaviest hitter is an area known as Bolivar Roads Anchorage at the mouth of the Galveston Bay area. There, tankers go to take on ballast, lay at anchor & allow the waves to slosh the cleaning chemicals in their tanks. Once done they open the valves & into the water the waste goes.

It is quite pathetic to see this happening all around us. Those of you who live in still clean areas should be thankful & bask in it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of NYS is just as bad. Glad to live where I do for sure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Several industry polluters in the Dallas area have been cited heavily in the last 30 years for dumping untold amounts of contaminants into the Trinity River which flows to the Gulf of Mexico.

The San Jacinto river in the Houston area always has a stench.

Buffalo Bayou being the headwaters for the Houston Ship Channel is beyond help.

Every waterway in the Houston area wreaks of pollutants. Downstream is Texas City & Galveston, certainly no poster children for environmental purity.

And last, but certainly the heaviest hitter is an area known as Bolivar Roads Anchorage at the mouth of the Galveston Bay area. There, tankers go to take on ballast, lay at anchor & allow the waves to slosh the cleaning chemicals in their tanks. Once done they open the valves & into the water the waste goes.

It is quite pathetic to see this happening all around us. Those of you who live in still clean areas should be thankful & bask in it.

It's insane they can still get away with this. I was really expecting a response citing relaxed environmental standards on industry in Mexico as responsible for pollution in the Gulf. I had no idea Texas was such a mess. I grew up in the rust belt along the Great Lakes and now live in the un-industrialized North East. Hell, they tore out almost all the rail lines in costal MA. Both here and back home, the major source of river pollution is failed or grossly underperforming septic systems. Long gone are the days of rivers burning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent the winter fishing Highland county, Florida for largemouth bass. Every launching ramp has an advisory posted-6 ounces of bass per month and none for women of childbearing age. Does wonders for catch and release fishing! The state advisory is 36 pages long.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad to live where I do for sure.

We just have radiation from japan grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by FishinHank
A lot of NYS is just as bad. Glad to live where I do for sure.
Thats BS I've been eating fish from Ny all my life with no ill effect
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
Does wonders for catch and release fishing!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

More catch and release fishing=more fish to be caught = Time to buy that boat! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to fish NYS lake Ontario for trout and salmon and everything we caught was subject to consumption advisories or outright eating bans. A biologist fronm Sea Grant told me that the bans would never be lifted, even if the lake was pristine. His reasoning was that the Indians and Canadians would have nets in the water if the the fish could be sold! He did say that long lived bottom dwellers like lakers "glowed in the dark". Actually the problem was PCBs and heavy metal contamination.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
All of the gulf coast states have long and wretched records of pollution control.

What the hell do you expect?

The problems with mercury, lead, dioxins and PCBs are hard to handle and even a lot of Minnesota where there is no industrial activity whatsoever feeding them directly into the watershed still have consumption advisories.

Losing as important a food source as fish is a public health crisis that is just now getting the public's attention now that it s really biting us on the ass. It's been a problem for a long time though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kodak employed a lot of people but they also dumped all kinds of crap into Lake Ontario.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

164 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 31 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,467
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.