Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The A tip is for "accuracy" and it is the softer, easier tip to cast. You probably already guessed the D is for "distance" and it is the faster tip.

They are carried in lots of true fly shops, but not the box stores. They are not expensive. I like them a lot.

Great concept..kinda 1rod to do it all...like the marketing of the 270

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The A tip is for "accuracy" and it is the softer, easier tip to cast. You probably already guessed the D is for "distance" and it is the faster tip.

They are carried in lots of true fly shops, but not the box stores. They are not expensive. I like them a lot.

Great concept..kinda 1rod to do it all...like the marketing of the 270

Yup, just like the 270, except hetero...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Rods are like cars you need to test drive them to find the make and model you prefer. Hard to do in a pawn shop. Ross makes some good reels, some not so good, as does Lamson. I have a couple of older Ross Gunnison G-2 reels that have held up for 20 years. As well as a newer Lamson reel. And they all have been reliable.

Reviews/Ratings of Reels
http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/bl...-reel-lamson-hatch-abel-ross#comment-175

Sorry, but have to agree to disagree on Ross making good reels and Lamson making dogs.

The old Ross reels were good for the era, hardly exceptional though. Their recent attempts have been poor to disgusting on virtually all fronts. Ever had a Vexis come apart on you in the middle of fighting a good fish? Virtually everyone that fished with one and hooked a decent fish found out about that little piece of engineering...

And Lamson reel models all have the same drag internals, from top of the line to bottom. Cast versus machined from billet coupled with the amount of machining determines the price. All are good reels.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Fishing in Alaska should sure test equipment..I really doubt I'll stress it like you do but plan on hitting some crappy and a good large mouth might test it some..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went to college at CWSC which changed to CWU while I was there... a moon or two ago... and had some beyond incredible fishing in more than a few places around WA.

Below The Dalles dam in May for smallmouth bass was unreal. Both size and numbers were completely off the chart. I saw headed and gutted fish heavier than the state record at the time...

I fished the North side just below Dallesport. A small byte with a navigation marker is a clue worth remembering.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crab Creek had some fancy steelhead fishing once I figured it out...

Mainstem Columbia had some serious steelhead, too.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I spend most of my time lately in Nebraska on the farm. But my kids are still in Washington and I still have my house in gigharbor. Son and I just started fly fishing sea run cutthroat..wow I can't believe I loved the 15 years and never explored that fishery more...we were always too busy chasing springers on the Columbia or steelhead on the cowlits and such..
For now it will be farm ponds for crappy ant it can be hot with some big fish that have never seen a fly..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have the northernmost runs of searun cutts within 30 miles or so of here, as the crow flies, but it takes a bit to get at them... they are a lot of fun!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just a bit more information on Echo. They are designed by Tim Rajeff, one of the finest fly casters in the world. Probably in the top 5. He cut his teeth at G Loomis where his brother Steve is the rod designer. Steve is considered by many as the finest fly caster in the world. Both brothers started as guides and have been in the fly fishing industry for many many years. Simply stated they both know what they are doing. Echo rods are some of the best values in the marketplace. Many shops carry them for entry to mid priced values. Buy with confidence . Tight lines, Goodshot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goodshot
Just a bit more information on Echo. They are designed by Tim Rajeff, one of the finest fly casters in the world. Probably in the top 5. He cut his teeth at G Loomis where his brother Steve is the rod designer. Steve is considered by many as the finest fly caster in the world. Both brothers started as guides and have been in the fly fishing industry for many many years. Simply stated they both know what they are doing. Echo rods are some of the best values in the marketplace. Many shops carry them for entry to mid priced values. Buy with confidence . Tight lines, Goodshot

Agreed! Steve continues to win the annual long-distance casting Championships with ease...

But Joan Wulff could make a mean cast with ease despite her diminutive size... timing is everything.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.