Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm about to buy a new Ci4 Stradic. This will be primarily a crappie-panfish rig. I will pair it with a custom 7' 1/32-1/4 oz ultralight rod. I mostly cast 1/32 oz jigs for crappie,smaller bass,and bluegills.

My other spinning reels are the smaller sizes but this reel is a bit more expensive so I'm thinking about possibly pairing my ultralight rod with the slightly larger 2500 series reel rated for 140 yards of 8lb mono rather than the smaller 1000 size reel rated for 140 yards of 4lb mono so it will be a bit more versatile in case I want to later use it with a heavier rod.

These reels are very light in every size. Will I loose anything except lighter weight using the larger reel casting my 1/32 oz jigs on the ultralight rod? Would you guys stick with the smaller reel since it will be used 99% for crappie, or get the slightly larger model for versatility if I ever want to use it for larger bass?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have. Shimano Stradiic CI4 in both a 1000 and a 2500. I love them both. I have used the 2500 on my ultra light 6'5" St. Croix with no issues whatsoever. However if I were fishing for crappie most of the time I'd get the 1000 and never look back. Heck I use my 1000 to catch some pretty sizey trout. It can handle it no problem.

Is it Friday yet?
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I appreciate the input. Is less weight the only advantage of the smaller reel when casting 1/32 oz jigs?

It would seem to me that the larger spool might even cast farther with the light jigs than the smaller spool, but all my spinning reels are fairly small,close to the 1000 size. They are metal frames though, so still fairly heavy,which is another reason I thought I might get along with the larger size.

I probably don't need the larger size,I just thought it would be nice if I ever wanted to change it's use to a heavier rod for bass and stripe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 2500 is a little more versatile and will cast further. For bass over 5 lbs you will likely enjoy the 2500 more, I will be completely honest though. I can't pick a favorite between my two reels. They are both great reeks and it's pretty hard to go wrong with either one.

Is it Friday yet?
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks my friend. A good thing is that I can take my ultralight rod to the store and try both reels on it. I'll likely just get whichever one feels best to me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I fish for 4-6 hours or more all day, I get less fatigue and more enjoyment using the smaller UL reels, for their ligther weight. I use mostly 20 and 25 size Pflueger President and Supreme but looking to try a 1000 Shimano.

If a man only could have one for all fishing a 2000-2500 size would likely be the way to go. Reel weight is the only downsize for me. The little reels are often jewels when after mostly panfish and smaller bass IME and IMHO.

Today's line like P-Line CX, even Trilene XL and many others, inc. some braid give little trouble with line memory causing issues. I run alot of 6# for what I do in the south, alot of snags, but also plan to spool up some PowerPro in 10#. I've landed 4lb Largemouth and 5+ Stripers with 6 mono and UL rod which flexes, just taking my time. All fun fun smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My buddy has one and has sent it back twice. I'm a huge shimano fan but for panfish you won't need a 200 dollar rod. Just throwing this out there. Phflueger reels are very good and you can get a supreme for more than half of what a child costs. The 25 series is the same as the 1000 and the 30 series is bigger than the 1000 but smaller than the 2500. I like the 30 a lot. The Supreme is light too.

Not trying to steer you away from the shimano but my friend owns Toms Sporting Goods in morristown tn and he told me he sends more shimanos back than phfluegers. Just letting you know. Very reliable and made in some in between sizes.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to know, I was handling the Stradic FK and the Ci4, and liked the FK better, the little Bass Pro Micro Elite is a smooth reel and was on sale recently for about $30.

No doubt, I do REALLY enjoy my Pfluegers, and for all around - the 25 Supreme is thus far my fave of all the sizes and it is light. The President is not quite as light, but still a nice reel.

Shimano told me today that the high end reels are mfg in Japan, so given that and the price point, I would HOPE/Expect that the Stradic is longer lasting than say a Sedona mfg in Malaysia. I would suspect a difference in material quality given the price spread. Just a hunch. They are expensive - the high end Shimano's. No doubt.

Good info SB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Update, I looked at the box for a Stradic FK ysdy at Bass Pro, said Malaysia. Apparently I assumed when talking to Shimano customer service they considered the FK a upper end mfg. in Japan, not that it's a huge deal, just wanted to update that info.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Shimano doesn't make a 2000 size? Penn makes a Battle II 2000 that might be a good compromise in terms of size and expense.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They might make a 2000 in a lower priced model like the Sahara. Pretty sure I saw one in a lower model recently at Bass Pro. Choices in size should be based on performance needs/application, as well as subjective "Feel" - weight, etc. and balance on a particular rod.

Been reading many reviews, consensus by many 1000 owners, they will handle bass and the like very well, but many 2500 owners like their choice if Bass is the target species....they will both get it done. In today's lines like 10# power pro - not much either will not pull in - during a bulk of conditions. Even 6 and 8# P-Line CX is very capable.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
They might make a 2000 in a lower priced model like the Sahara. Pretty sure I saw one in a lower model recently at Bass Pro. Choices in size should be based on performance needs/application, as well as subjective "Feel" - weight, etc. and balance on a particular rod.

Been reading many reviews, consensus by many 1000 owners, they will handle bass and the like very well, but many 2500 owners like their choice if Bass is the target species....they will both get it done. In today's lines like 10# power pro - not much either will not pull in - during a bulk of conditions. Even 6 and 8# P-Line CX is very capable.

6 lb P-line CX was going to be my choice. I should pick up one or the other this weekend. I'll let you know. After more reviews I've found out that if getting the Ci4, you want to get the Ci4+ model.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have not yet, just take a look at the Stradic FK in the same sizes to do a side by side. Some like the latest FK model over the Ci4/+

Like Pflueger, doubt you can go wrong with any choice, but if you are like me, pick the one you feel you can see yourself using for hours at a time, if you are like me and do a lot of casting over many hours in a day. The good thing, even the 2500s are pretty light in these models. The handle design/shape is a bit different. Those specs can affect the ergonomics and your fishing comfort.

Sure you will be very happy and look forward to your review.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of us west coast steelheaders are using the Shimano 2500 series reels for float and drift fishing.

I have two of the Stradic CI4+ 2500's mated to Simano Claris 8-12 Med/lt 8'6" spinning rods. They are a perfectly balanced outfit.

The reels only weigh 7 oz, are very smooth and tank tough. I run #30 yellow Power Pro braid on my float rig ( braid floats and is easy to mend )and #10 UG Maxima leaders.

The drag is #15, which is plenty unless a Chinook picks me up! And even then, if I'm in my boat and can chase we stand a good chaance of netting it.

The drift is set up the same, but is loaded with #15 Maxima Hi-Vis and #10 leader.

My reel tech sees a ton of trashed spinning reels and his personal reels are the CI4+. He says any Shimano from the SARO on up, with X-Ship gears is where to spend your money.

This steelie goes #10 and was no contest for the 2500.
[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice fish BT. Yes the Ci series has a following, and the FK apparently has some upgrades, from what I gather very similar on the guts/drivetrain if you will like the Ci4/+

It would be hard to spend more for a Stella etc. with these two options. FK and Ci are more refined over the reputable less expensive Sedona, Sahara, etc.

The Shimano® Stradic® FK Spinning Reel incorporates the latest Shimano technology while retaining the high-performance features that Stradic reels have always been known for. This is a smooth, powerful, incredibly durable reel that will easily match up to any quarry in freshwater, as well as inshore saltwater. Its ultra-hard Hagane® cold forged drive gear combines with the X-Ship pinion gear-support concept to ensure perfect gear mesh at all times, for unflinchingly smooth control even under heavy loads. The sleek G-Free Hagane body prevents flex during the fight while maintaining superb balance, to keep hand fatigue out of the picture. 6 S A-RB shielded stainless steel ball bearings (plus 1 Super Stopper II Anti Reverse roller bearing) are backed by the high-efficiency Propulsion Line Management System. Additional performance features include vibration-eliminating Dyna-Balance®, efficiency increasing Fluidrive® II, line twist-reducing Power Roller II, SR-Concept, and friciton-reducing Aero Wrap® II.
X-Ship gear support system for smooth power
Ultra-strong Hagane cold forged drive gear
G-Free Hagane body
6 S A-RB shielded stainless steel ball bearings plus 1 Super Stopper Anti Reverse roller bearing
Aluminum cold forged spool
Propulsion Line Management System
Dyna-Balance
Fluidrive II
Power Roller II
SR-Concept
Aero Wrap II

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I fish a few Baby Stradics,though I cain't comment on catching Bait,Rat Bass and Dink Steelhead on them.

Coupla days ago...36.5".

[Linked Image]

Earlier in the week on the same afternoon,I landed (2) over 20# ala Baby Stradic and mainstay GL3 1141-S,stoked with 30# PP braid...which are all long and well established mainstays. Chameleon leader is typically 15#,but in huge water volumes,I can like 20#'s gross abrasion resistance to hedge a bet.

Late January of this year and 25lbs+. GL3-1141S and Baby Stradic,of course. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'Course I do it most every day.

[Linked Image]

Last week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Waiting on the rain to work it's magic this AM and Sister and I are gonna go Dredge Chrome. I "suspect" there will be a coupla Baby Stradics in tow,as I never feesh anything larger than a 3000 and have caught 1000's of Steelhead on the 2500's and an obscene number of Salmon to boot. 100+ feesh days add up and will test wares,along with one's resolve.

I cain't help but grind on 'em and the 2500 is your Huckleberry. Hint.

You gals can now return to Rat Dink Farm Pond "pursuits".

Laffin'!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pics.

I can say I went to my local store, put a 1000 and 2500 on 3 different rods, both the FK and the Ci4+, that was very informative. The 2500 is very light in the Ci4 and you would not believe it was that size reel, so it works well even on a 6' UL rod...Browning Air Stream which is a very light rod. The FK in that size was fine on the 6'6", and not bad on the 6'

So, it really pays to put the reel in question on a rod you plan to use. Just wanted to pass this on. On a 5 1/2 ft model rod, the 1000 Ci4 was best as the rod is so light as well, but the FK would work well - the same 1000 FK felt best and very well to me on the 6' - like anything clothes, etc. you must try it to know.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Big steelhead! Wow!

I have 4 C14's....think they are all 2500's(?). Nice reel.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the 2500FK on all my spinning rods on the boat, Used them this year in Florida as well for snook.

Not much more fight possible in a fish then a 15-25lb plus snook. All this capability in a reel that can be classified as an ultra light in some circles!

The line capacity is shy if your going to get fish that run a great distance, not typical in rivers so your good to go with them in almost any fresh water.

One additional advantage is that they are salt water rated so fishing fresh water only makes them really long lasting and completely protected from the elements.

I will also mention that I was using Accurate TwinSpin SR-6 reels on my boat. These are rather high end ( stella level) after two seasons I sold them all and replaced them with the 2500FK reels which were better in every way except line capacity. That says a lot comparing a 600.00 spinning reel to a 200.00 spinning reel!

Load with 20lb Braid and your good to go from panfish to 30lb snook or what ever steelhead might take your bait!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I picked up the 2500 size Ci4+. i compared it side by side with my Quantum Catalyst ct10 reels I had been using for crappie and it was actually lighter than the smaller metal body catalyst. I went 2500 size so it will pull double duty for bass and crappie just by changing rods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.