Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking at a Ruger African in 375 that a coworker is selling. He mentioned that Rugers in 375 Ruger have had many problems with their wood stock splitting. Has anyone had a issue with this? Looking at potentially using it next year in African and kind of have a thing for blued/wood rifles for Africa.

Last edited by STS45; 03/15/16.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bed it right and no issues if you don,t you probably will!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shouldn't have any problems if you glass bed it before you shoot it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I have my 'Smith bed the recoil lug, tang, floor metal, and the big bolt in lug midway up the forearm on all my big Rugers BSA, never had accuracy or splitting issues, also have him relieve a bit of wood at the rear tang and refinish the clean up, happy pounding for years so far. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

I have my 'Smith bed the recoil lug, tang, floor metal, and the big bolt in lug midway up the forearm on all my big Rugers BSA, never had accuracy or splitting issues, also have him relieve a bit of wood at the rear tang and refinish the clean up, happy pounding for years so far. grin

Gunner, thanks for bringing up the rear of the tang. You should have a little clearance there. Some guys don't know that.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yo welcome BSA, specially if you're gonna re-bore a 416 Rigby to a 505 Gibbs! shocked grin

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yo welcome BSA, specially if you're gonna re-bore a 416 Rigby to a 505 Gibbs! shocked grin

No sane person would do such a thing... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

No sane person would do such a thing... laugh whistle

Hey, I come here to read these pages for things I don't know. blush laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM

This.

That little tip has let that Ruger walnut withstand 600 gr Woodleighs to 2450 fps Ed, damn, she really boots at those speeds.

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
That is good to know about the tang area. Any recommendations for a good smith who knows large bore rifles?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Ruger African .375 Ruger split in three places after 80 rounds.
Rather than fuss with Ruger with a new stock, I just ordered a McMillan Magnum fill, which I am very happy with. It eliminated another problem I had with the wood stock- every shot would drive the bolt back into my knuckles. No issue whatsoever with the McMillan.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by STS45
That is good to know about the tang area. Any recommendations for a good smith who knows large bore rifles?

Plenty out in your direction. If you don't find one to your liking, I'd recommend Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville, GA.

http://www.acgg.org/index.php/member-by-name/userprofile/Rferrell

Roger's a great guy and a fantastic riflesmith. A veteran to boot.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The laminates are known for splitting on .375 Ruger. First time I've heard of it getting away from the walnut.

There's also the Hogue full-bed stock. I've seen the B-barrel channel (for magnum calibers) pretty affordably priced online.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STS45
Looking at a Ruger African in 375 that a coworker is selling. He mentioned that Rugers in 375 Ruger have had many problems with their wood stock splitting. Has anyone had a issue with this? Looking at potentially using it next year in African and kind of have a thing for blued/wood rifles for Africa.

Yes, have experienced this, and have corrected this with good resulted.

It has been two fold for me:

Looseness of bedding that allows the barreled action to get a running start. Ruger placed a video online, which stressed the importance of using Ruger's high torque specifications, 90 in-lb off the top of my head, because many customers would reassemble their rifles at a lower setting, which resulted in cracked stocks. I have personally bedded several, and I have found that once properly bedded, I could lower the torque setting without seeing any movement.

Regardless of bedding, the thin area of wood between the mag box and trigger inlets can easily split over repeated firings. Even if properly bedded, the forces of the barrelled action driving the stock into your shoulder, also causes the sides of the stock to bellow outward along the mag box and trigger openings. The only material that holds this together is the thin strip of wood, which can easily split. A properly installed cross pin or bolt will hold the sides together and prevent this breakage.

Last edited by GaryVA; 03/21/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
STS45,

If you decide you need a synthetic stock for your .375, I have a Hogue stock that fits your rifle- will sell at a reasonable price. PM if interested.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tested on of the very first Ruger 375's and the stock did split but was easily repaired with accra glass. Ruger now puts a cross bolt in their 375's, which helps a lot but they still need a good solid bedding. Get that done and you should have a great, reliable rifle

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
HHmmmm, should I be worried?? Have a 375 laminated ruger that I've only fired a couple times maybe I need to get it bedded before I fire any more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
HHmmmm, should I be worried?? Have a 375 laminated ruger that I've only fired a couple times maybe I need to get it bedded before I fire any more.

That would be a good idea, the one I had was shifting in the stock before I bedded it and relieved the tang. Super accurate though.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Guess I'll talk to the smith up the road, wouldn't attempt it myself. Never had one bedded in 40 years but then again this is my first and only 375, just because (since I have no practical use for one).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.