Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm going to RSA in May for Kudu, Gemsbok, wildebeast, impala and warthog. My primary rifle will be a Weatherby Ultralight in 30-06 shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX, I was wondering if the Swede shooting 140 grain Nosler Accubonds would be a suitable back up rifle. This is my first trip to Africa. I have other rifles including a 7x57, 270 and 280. Thanks.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
280 !

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako76
I'm going to RSA in May for Kudu, Gemsbok, wildebeast, impala and warthog. My primary rifle will be a Weatherby Ultralight in 30-06 shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX, I was wondering if the Swede shooting 140 grain Nosler Accubonds would be a suitable back up rifle. This is my first trip to Africa. I have other rifles including a 7x57, 270 and 280. Thanks.

Sir, since your primary rifle will be the 30.06, I would say that you would be fine. I am inclined to agree that the 280 would be a better option for a backup than the 6.5. The fact that you will be chasing Kudu, Gemsbuck and Wildebeest is my main concern for the Swede. Can it be done, absolutely! Is it the best choice out of what you have available, certainly not.
Enjoy your safari, and hope to see some great photos from a successful trip.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marius,

Have no fear hunting a good client with the 6.5 Swede shooting 140's. It's effectness seems out of proportion to the paper ballistics. You won't see a difference between the Swede and the .280. I've had great success in RSA with the Swede.

I wouldn't use if for eland, and I have witnessed gemsbok soak up the lead and move on, but they use that round in Scandanavia to take trucks loads of moose every year.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I agree with hatari about the Swede killing bigger than the numbers would indicate. A friend of mine kills moose most years with a Swede out to 250 yards or so, and he says they kill like lightning on thousand pound animals.

But it is his money and his hunt, so take the one he wants. All of them will work fine.

Good bullet in the right location equals dead animal.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A mate and I did a trip to Namibia a few years back and he took a Sako finnlight in 6.5x55 running 140AB's. He took kudu, oryx, red hartebeest, blesbok and multiple springbok and not one of them took a step after bullet impact.
Our ph hadn't seen one before and it made quite an impression on him.

Having said that, the bugger can shoot, he took one of the springbok at a lasered 290yds off sticks.

Last edited by johnfox; 03/16/16.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 6.5 is a Killing Machine. Just remember African animals Vitals are a little farther forward. Also use a premium bullet!!! Have Fun

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
6.5 has been doing it for 100+ years, the animals are not any tougher!
However, If I was taking an '06, I'd opt for a second larger rifle, like a 375 H&H! Just because it's AFRICA!!!

Enjoy!!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have killed a plains game with a 6.5x55, all one shot kills, except for the Eland that took three equally fatal hits before it gave up.

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Would a Ruger Alaskan do?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I've used the .30-'06 with 180-grain Hornady Interlockeds to cleanly kill over fifty head of plains game. Never found it lacking in any respect.

When in doubt, use the .30-'06 and you will be totally satisfied.

Note: The 6.5 Swede is a fabulous round and I've killed lots of deer/elk with it, but it is less, way less, than the .30-'06 with equally good bullets. And I apologize for that.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Marius,

Have no fear hunting a good client with the 6.5 Swede shooting 140's. It's effectness seems out of proportion to the paper ballistics. You won't see a difference between the Swede and the .280. I've had great success in RSA with the Swede.

I wouldn't use if for eland, and I have witnessed gemsbok soak up the lead and move on, but they use that round in Scandanavia to take trucks loads of moose every year.

I've had quite a few hunters bring the 6.5, and they do work great. I've had a lady take a Kudu with a 25.06.
I still prefer my hunters to pack a little more than 6.5mm on something like. Kudu,Gemsbuck or Wildebeest.
Like i said, can it be done, absolutely, but I see many calibers listed by the OP that will pack a little more heat than the 6.5

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm sure Marius has seen his fair share of hunters using lighter than recommended calibers and making spectacular kills with them.
...I'm also willing to bet that he has seen more than his fair share of hunters who couldn't shoot well (for whatever reason: lack of skill, poor eyesight, poor range judgement, etc). and put a bullet of marginal caliber in a less than perfect spot and loose that animal. Would it have been better with a larger caliber/bigger round? Maybe...

The 6.5 is a great round; have one myself,and I love it. But I think that there are better choices out there for large African game, and the fact that there are so many different species of different sizes and weights that one might run into, I'd rather be overgunned than undergunned.
If the O.P. can't afford another rifle, or is just plain bent on taking that 6.5, I think I would recommend that he load up with premium bullets, practice, and choose his shots carefully.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OP was asking about taking the 6.5 as a back up to his '06.

I don't believe I'd do that, but it's his safari - so have at it!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by hatari
Marius,

I've had quite a few hunters bring the 6.5, and they do work great. I've had a lady take a Kudu with a 25.06.
I still prefer my hunters to pack a little more than 6.5mm on something like. Kudu,Gemsbuck or Wildebeest.
Like i said, can it be done, absolutely, but I see many calibers listed by the OP that will pack a little more heat than the 6.5

Agree, agree. For me, the 9.3 x 62 and 6.5 Swede are a great combo to safari with. I suppose that is just the oddball .375 H & H and .30-06 idea, but it works for me!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys, I have decided to go with the 280 as my back up shooting 140 grain Barnes TTSX.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should be fine.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't listen to me, as I am a Looney here, but I would personally prefer the 6.5 as my primary, call my nuts. Less than the 06 and 280? Sure, on paper, and perhaps in less than ideal situations. I would assume a guide is on hand, that would be my "back-up" and I would pick my shots and lay low my intended game using good bullets thru vitals.

A 6.5 will have a narrower would channel thru game than say a larger 30 cal, yet penetrate they will. A 140 Partition, Accubond or similar, (in a handload or factory that gives +/- 2700 fps will dig deep and I cannot imagine any game animal properly hit, survive. Just me.

The adage use enough gun definitely applies, especially on African game, but to my thinking, proper bullets with proper shooting skills is what gets bullets to and thru vitals. That is the bulk of the task at hand IMHO. Now on dangerous game, quick stopping power by bullets of high caliber, mass, energy may be much preferred.

In the end, Confidence shores up shooting skill, proper bullets thru vitals usually takes care of the rest. Use what you have confidence in. Nothing wrong with a 9.3 or 338/06, some would even choose a 338 Win Mag or 375 H/H but my shooting would suffer as recoil goes up. Others, vary.

Best of success on the trip and safe hunting smile Enjoy!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
As you're talking about a backup rifle, rather than a second rifle intended for a different purpose than your -06, IMO the backup should be effectively similar in terminal ballistic efficacy as the primary rifle.

Any of the cartridges you mentioned, with the appropriate bullet weight and construction, are functionally equivalent for the range of PG you mentioned.

I would have no hesitation to use a 6.5x55, with modern loads and a bonded or monolothic 140 grain bullet for all the PG you intend to shoot - either as a backup or a primary rifle. Straight line penetration is important for killing power and few of the cartridges you're considering, including the -06 with 180s, is likely to outperform the 6.5 with 140s in that task.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finn Aaggard did a penetration test years ago, the Swede/140 PTs hung with many good rounds, including well stoked '06....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never been to Africa, so take my advice with that caveat! In considering a backup for your -06, consider which rifle you are most familiar and are completely comfortable with. Shot placement is paramount wherever you hunt, followed by projectile performance. Another factor to consider is ammo availability in case the airline misplaces your ammo. .30-06, .270 and 7x57 should be available locally (from what I've read); the Swede and .280 may be a little harder to find. I have no experience with the Swede, but love my Sako 75 Finnlight in .260 Rem. The soft recoil makes really threading the needle with shot placement a joy!

Last edited by kevinh1157; 03/26/16.

Kevin Haile
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Kevin--funny thing is I have a NIB 75 Sako in 260 and have been on the fence about selling it since I got the Swede. Originally I was going to take a Ruger Alaskan in 375 or a Ruger African in 9.3x62 but I tore the tendon off my left elbow and it hurts to shoot both of those rifles. The 280 is getting the nod because it has a Leupold VX-R 4-12 on it. I should be fine with the 06
I'm just realizing I have way too many guns!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a 75 Greywolf w/6.5-20x for testing, put first 2 of 3 shots into the same hole at 200 yds, 2 or 3 groups....

Reloads, but I was impressed, out the box, save turning down the trigger.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm going next year. I'm going to go .300 WSM and not sure of back up. I was debating 7 mag, but I really want to take a 6.5 caliber rifle or 7mm. Creedmoor or 7-08. Something light and accurate. My PH buddy said 30 cal is preferred. I'll speak a little more with him before I show up with smaller calibers, even though I know I can kill any planes game with a 6.5 or 7mm....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took a 30-06 and .260 to Zim for plains game and the .260 did great. Going back to Namibia for plains game - taking the same combination.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Well, the OP said his trip was going to be in May, so we should be hopefully hearing how things went. I suspect that both his '06 and .280 acquitted themselves adequately.

I tend to be in "Africa cartridges start at .30"" camp. It has nothing to do with the mythical difficulty of putting them down, but more with the psychology of taking $1500 shots. The rule on the hunts I have taken is "if it bleeds, you pay"--a lost animal costs you your trophy fee, just as if it had been recovered. I don't know about the rest of you, but that makes me anxious--I am not the kind of guy that would bet my buddies $100 or $500 that I would make a particular shot at the range, but trophy hunting in Africa is essentially a more expensive version of that. In addition, a lost animal can also mean that you don't get a second chance, if there is not another available on permit to your outfitter.

So I did what I could to minimize my risk of failure--practicing off of sticks, practicing quick second shots, using premium bullets and big cartridges, throttled down on speed. All these mean I am more likely to get a good first shot, maybe even a second hole, and hopefully an exit wound and its help in tracking.

I would love to take a 6.5x55 or a 7x57 on a cull hunt, but when a big trophy fee is in play, I like to bring my loaded dice.

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
U708--I haven't left yet (5/26), neither the 06 or 280 shot particularly well so I'm taking a Sako A7 in 270 and a Kimber Montana in 7-08. I had some health issues recently and my shooting has gone to hell! If I was going by myself I would have postponed the trip but my buddy who is going with me is 65 and also has a bunch of health issues and I don't want him going alone! I hope it works out!

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Well, I wish you the best and apparently like all loonies you have plenty of rifles to choose among. I am sure they will both work fine, when called upon. Just hold low and forward, and don't feel pressured to take a shot that you are not comfortable with.

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
U708--thanks for the kind words! I booked this trip a long time ago and saved for about a year and a half to go on this trip, I wish the conditions were better but I'm going and I'm going to have a great time with a very good friend! If I kill game or not I'm glad I'm here to enjoy it! Thanks again.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 10generation
Took a 30-06 and .260 to Zim for plains game and the .260 did great. Going back to Namibia for plains game - taking the same combination.

Just a heads-up:The .260 would be illegal for most larger plains game in Namibia. Minimum caliber is 7MM. which translates to a .277 or 270 Winchester. Bring a 270 Win and have lots of fun out there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
319 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.