24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite thing about Saint Patrick's day and corned beef and cabbage, is using the leftovers to make homemade corned beef hash.

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by EdM
Threw one in the slow cooker an hour ago.

I've never done it in a slow cooker. How do you do it?

Throw it in the cooker, pour water a few of inches above the meat, throw in flavor packet (my meat came from Costco), cover and run on high for five hours. Throw in the potatoes (~2 1/2" diameter reds and whites halved) and cabbage for another two hours, stick a fork in a spud, continue or drop to warm and eat when it's time.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
My favorite thing about Saint Patrick's day and corned beef and cabbage, is using the leftovers to make homemade corned beef hash.

That's my plan. How do you make it?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just cut up all the leftover corned beef, potatoes and carrots into small cubes, fry it in a cast iron fry pan until it's a little crisp on the bottom, then I crack eggs over the top of it, cover it and let them cook in the steam. That's how my dad made it.

NRA Endowment Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good hash requires some light cream! You can't blame the Italians for wanting to be Irish. Think I'll make me a suprasod boiled dinner! In a crock pot! On the wood stove!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Shanty Micks ate mutton. The Lace Micks ate lamb. After my father graduated WW11, he never had mutton again. I don't remember having much lamb, but there always some venison to be had.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Had corned beef and cabbage …..tacos at Smokey Joe's, the other nite.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had corned beef and cabbage last Sat. and on St. Paddy's day I had a Guiness beef stew at the restaurant where our band (Bucket's O'Blarney) played. Corned beef and cabbage wasn't invented by the Irish Immigrants in NYC it was actually a Jewish dish that the Irish adopted because it was an inexpensive meal. Both ethnic groups often lived in the same neighborhoods in NYC.

For a more realistic Irish meal, prepare shepard's pie, bangers and mash, or even fish and chips.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
The cut I use is a flat the fat cap is rendered and the the remainder trimmed off when slicing
I never have enough left for hash

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We did Shepard's pie on St. Paddy's day but I have the corned beef cooking today.

I'm with Dan, I haven't figured out how to have enough to make hash with.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It's just not St. Patrick's Day without corned beef and cabbage! I actually picked my own cabbage from the garden this year!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife and my hunting partner's wife both had things to go to last night, so I fixed supper for him and me. I just covered the corned beef (flat cut) with water, dumped in the seasoning packet, brought it to a boil, and then simmered it for 2 1/2 hours. I halved both some small red potatoes and some small russets and boiled them with some carrot chunks. Steamed some cabbage wedges. Let the corned beef sit on the cutting board (covered with aluminum foil) for about fifteen minutes, then sliced it. Set it all on the table with a couple of bottles of St. Pauli Girl. Neither of us could find a great deal wrong with the meal.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just finished up the last of it for dinner tonight... In the words of Jethro Bodine: Mighty fine vitals !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
While I totally agree with Mr. Bodine's sentiment, I believe that he is overstating things just a bit to declare corned beef and its accompaniments absolutely essential to life. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Vital vittles, John. Vital vittles.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the words of Jethro Bodine: Mighty fine vitals !

Not going to trash you on your spelling, just say that when I was in the Army, in Vietnam, I always tried to keep some canned corned beef and some Crackers around. Made a pretty decent meal when other things were absent. I remember on my 21st Birthday and I had had a few drinks, when the key strip that opened the can broke. I cut my hand pretty good trying to finish opening that thing. Lots of blood, but it did not stop the party. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coop, you're probably right about CB&C being a Jewish dish. Instead of "invented" I should have said adopted by the New York Irish. Thanks for the welcome correction.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL--- Vittles, vitals, toe-mate-ohs or toe-mot-oes. Sorry for the spelling error.

Miles, When I was a kid, I'd take off with my .22 for the hills a week at a time. A few cans of pork and beans, some spam and corned beef was all a 14 year kid needed to survive.

I miss those fun filled days !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Making corned beef and cabbage with potatoes for supper...anyone else making this for St. Patty's day?
Growing up my dad made that every St. Patty's Day (Even though Italian American, not Irish American). Sometimes I do, too. Love the stuff. Low and slow makes it great.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
831 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,268 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.