Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Does anyone have any older Mossy Oak camo sitting in the closet not getting used? I am looking for some! Please PM me or text 417-254-0595 to let me know what you have. Text preferably as I am not able to get on here much. Looking for Original Bottomland and Greenleaf. Vests, Hats, Shirts, Pants, jackets anything please!

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
You can buy it new from the Mossy Oak store. Check out their website.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Yes I know, but the new stuff is 100% junk. I bought some and it is not anywhere comparable to the old stuff. Thank you though!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tha's typical for Mossy Oak

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
For sure

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toxey sure went the wrong direction with quality that is for sure.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell me this; does Mossy Oak actually produce clothing, hats, other gear - or do they simply license other manufacturers to use their patterns? I have several items with Mossy Oak patterns, but all have other brand names on the labels.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe both. I have Mossy Oak brand clothing as well as other brands with MO patterns. My older Mossy Oak brand chamois shirt is around 20 years old now, not worn a bunch but still looks good.

I buying new stuff I have found Cabelas branded clothing as hard to beat as you can find.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/18/16.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It would take a bit o dinero to pry my original issue bottomland set of shirt pants and hat from me.

Loved it. But have completely abandoned the camo game as of late.

Last edited by WillARights; 03/19/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have too, but I did love the old bottomland and the green leaf and fall foliage. Turkey hunting back in the day I wore fall foliage pants and bottomland shirt till the woods greened up then it was a green leaf shirt. If I wear camo now which isn't often it's natgear. I also loved shadow grass till they screwed it all up and put a bunch of black in it. Most camo is to dark.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have too, but I did love the old bottomland and the green leaf and fall foliage. Turkey hunting back in the day I wore fall foliage pants and bottomland shirt till the woods greened up then it was a green leaf shirt. If I wear camo now which isn't often it's natgear. I also loved shadow grass till they screwed it all up and put a bunch of black in it. Most camo is to dark.

Exactly right Billy. It is too dark and when you look at it 50 to 75 yards away, it sticks out like a sore thumb because it is a dark blob in the form of a human.

Most camo patterns today are designed to catch buyers and not for camouflage. They look good up close, but in the woods, they suck. A pattern needs large blobs to break up the human form and NONE of this new "photograph pattern printed" stuff works because those patterns are too busy and too small. At any distance at all, they just run together into a dark blob just like you describe so well.

About 10 years ago, I started buying military surplus camo because it is well made from good materials and won't come apart like so much of what is available from most retailers today. I have had to do a little painting on some of it to make my own pattern, usually to add a little light green or light tan or kaki to make some "HOLES" in the pattern for "light" to shine through and break up the human form, but it seems to work about as well as any of the stuff we can buy from outfits like Mossy Oak, Real Tree, and many others. Actually, it works better when I can find it. Places like Sportsman's Guide has it at various times of the year, usually in the off season when many people are not looking for that kind of stuff. By the time hunting season comes around and everyone is looking, it is all gone.

The other problem is that some of you boys have sorta "out grown" your old camo and a lot of the military stuff is sized for younger, shall we say, "less stout" men and that makes it hard finding military stuff to fit.

But I have also looked real hard at the Nat Gear patterns and I like them. They should work very well in many different environments. I hope they are doing good for you.

All the best.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, I agree with your idea and wear a lot of surplus (due to having two footlockers full from a 32 year ARNG career). I like the newer Multi-Cam, the jungle weight BDU, and the old ARVN tiger stripe in ripstop. I always mix them up, darker bottom or top coupled with the opposite - idea is to break up the human silhouette. A cold morning turkey hunting along the Pee Dee River in SC a couple of years ago - by the way, that is an Elite II vest I've owned for a least a decade, the only name on it is Mossy Oak. BB

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The natgear does work good, I hunt a reservior for waterfowl in the winter with winter pool being 53 vertical feet lower than in the summer. Nothing to hide in besides rocks and it blends in well. It doesn't have the black blob thing going on when field hunting like the sticks twigs and leaves camo does.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the comments guys! If any of you have it laying in your closets not getting use let me know ill buy it off ya! THANKS!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i bought a one piece coverall set back in the late 80's when it first came out, my sons are using it to this day (for some reason it shrunk on me)
[Linked Image]

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great turkey photo Jim and the boy ain't bad looking either.

Last edited by BobWills; 03/21/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
thanks Bob, that was his last youth hunt. he wrote a story for school about that hunt and it really just about brought me to tears with pride.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I loved the old mossy oak stuff! still have some , i rember meeting the mossy oak crew at the shot show in 1988-89, talked my buddie that owned the Archery shop to order there cammo! Why change a good thing!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wal Jim, it seems to be something completely unexpected by many modern yuppie types, out of the ordinary, and a total anomaly when modern day boys step up and do manly things. For those of us who are vets, we wonder why anyone is surprised because the military trains boys to become men all the time.

Take a stable young man with common sense and teach him duty, responsibility, obligation and leadership, and then give him responsibility and let him know you expect him to do well and SHAZAM!!! HE USUALLY DOES!!

But I'll bet that simple formula ain't any big secret to most of those on this forum.

Last edited by BobWills; 03/21/16. Reason: typo

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
bump

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,071 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.