Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You made me go RE read the OP by saying 308 bullet. No doubt that 2900 fps will work ...(it's not much more than an 06 and some 06s will beat 2900)... but the 300 WM is capable of much more.

I would NOT shoot c/c at Elk with 3100 fps. But there are NPs, A frames, monos, etc.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Originally Posted by Angus1895
My elk rig is a 91 dodge 2500 1976 Featherlite goose neck with wood stove. 14,22,9 year old John mules. And a pair of 9 year old mollys.

I like that elk rig Angus. I could use something like that myself in my advanced state of degradation.

ADK the reason I asked is that 4.5X may be all you ever need. There is a lot of dark timber with elk in it and if you are in that you will want to keep your scope cranked down for a short and quick shot like you can get in those North Woods. While I have made at least three long shots (200+ is long for me), in a lot of hunts in WY, CO, & MT, my average shot has been a bit under 45 yards.

The Adirondacks ought to be good training for our western terrain. There is plenty of elevation gain and rough country. The only thing they lack is the altitude.
Much of the Adk's have blow down so thick you really can't hunt there and some of the higher elevations hardly see hunters aside from the random road hunter's. It is tough country indeed and hunter's need to pick there spots. 4.5 is close to normal carry. I know I shouldn't say this but my rifle is on my shoulder part of the time I am in the woods and my binocs the other times. Elk are not whitetail but I rarely bump into whitetails that haven't seen me first. Trusty lever actions fit the bill in the ADK's. Some of the southern ADK's just outside the park have long shooting well over 400-500 yards if granted permission to hunt the area.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
J
J
Only two things you really need, be downwind and hold still.oops three things, luck trumps all the rest.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice shooting rig. Now, I want to hear about your training rig, I have a new Santa Cruz 5010 V2 with an MRP Stage up front.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good comfortable ,yet supportive boots are more important then the rifle. With out the boots the rest is not needed. I wear Kenetreks.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree on how important good boots are. I use Meindl's when it's warmer and Schnee pacs when the snow gets deep. Your 300 mag sounds like a good bet, but my 300 WSM prefers 180 grain Accubonds. I think a 10x binocular is probably to much power for elk hunting, I use a 8x32 Pentax and have a spotting scope that usually gets more use from the truck. Good Luck

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ADK, what state you hunting and what's your method?

A backpack hunt, or dayhiking out of a basecamp, etc?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
You made me go RE read the OP by saying 308 bullet. No doubt that 2900 fps will work ...(it's not much more than an 06 and some 06s will beat 2900)... but the 300 WM is capable of much more.

I would NOT shoot c/c at Elk with 3100 fps. But there are NPs, A frames, monos, etc.

Good Luck

Jerry
I can't find 2,900 fps for '06 anywhere in my books or the online pages. My standard for '06 is about 2,700 tops with the info I have. PM on the '06, 2,900

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad

I've spoken with a guide in Montana that will do drop camps in Idaho for a week into the Bitterroot Mts. He drops you off for a week and if you shoot your elk they will pack it out for you after. Wall tents set up for you with firewood and cots and such, just bring food, water, sleeping bag and gun. If I don't go there maybe thinking of easier hunts in Colorado. As for type of hunt, a base camp hunt with maybe a two night stay in the bush with a solo tent.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/19/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Nice shooting rig. Now, I want to hear about your training rig, I have a new Santa Cruz 5010 V2 with an MRP Stage up front.
Garyfisher X Caliber 29er American made before they moved some production to Taiwan. I believe 2008 or 2009 was the last year for the X Caliber in America.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/19/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Agree on how important good boots are. I use Meindl's when it's warmer and Schnee pacs when the snow gets deep. Your 300 mag sounds like a good bet, but my 300 WSM prefers 180 grain Accubonds. I think a 10x binocular is probably to much power for elk hunting, I use a 8x32 Pentax and have a spotting scope that usually gets more use from the truck. Good Luck
I have a pair of really heavy duty hiking boots with excellent ankle support that I use. Maybe Sorel leather pac boots in case of snow.

The 10x42 were a stab in the dark. Maybe a 8x or something compact after doing more research. I also have a nice compact Remington 700 BDL with a 24'' barrel in 30'06 I could bring. But not to stray from my original plan, Two more inches of barrel should be okay.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DIY or Guided on the easy Colorado hunts?

Colorado draw deadline is about 2 weeks away

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

I've spoken with a guide in Montana that will do drop camps in Idaho for a week into the Bitterroot Mts. He drops you off for a week and if you shoot your elk they will pack it out for you after. Wall tents set up for you with firewood and cots and such, just bring food, water, sleeping bag and gun. If I don't go there maybe thinking of easier hunts in Colorado. As for type of hunt, a base camp hunt with maybe a two night stay in the bush with a solo tent.

I would not hunt that area.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hear that the Bitteroots are good bear picture taking areas and plenty of wolves.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like you're going to have fun... best of luck with your hunt!

If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails.

Sounds like conditioning isn't an issue.

Boots, when you say you have "heavy duty hiking boots," are they comfortable? No blistering I hope? For me, I don't like to elk hunt in Sorels or the like. Lousy support. You'll feel it in the ankles after a day in the steep. I find a good, tall "Mountain Hunter" with the equivalent of 400 grams Thinsulate is a perfect "all-around" boot that will cover any condition in the fall Rockies. I'd be thinking that way.

Binoculars, that's personal. I like a small 8x32, but the 10x42 is essentially the "30-06 of Western binoculars." They're really never "wrong."

Rifle. I can guarantee you you'll get back from your first elk hunt thinking about a light rifle grin

Again, best wishes on your trip... Elk hunting is addictive!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds like you're going to have fun... best of luck with your hunt!

If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails.

Sounds like conditioning isn't an issue.

Boots, when you say you have "heavy duty hiking boots," are they comfortable? No blistering I hope? For me, I don't like to elk hunt in Sorels or the like. Lousy support. You'll feel it in the ankles after a day in the steep. I find a good, tall "Mountain Hunter" with the equivalent of 400 grams Thinsulate is a perfect "all-around" boot that will cover any condition in the fall Rockies. I'd be thinking that way.

Binoculars, that's personal. I like a small 8x32, but the 10x42 is essentially the "30-06 of Western binoculars." They're really never "wrong."

Rifle. I can guarantee you you'll get back from your first elk hunt thinking about a light rifle grin

Again, best wishes on your trip... Elk hunting is addictive!

I like the weight for a more steady rest. Just haven't made the trip yet. Thanks

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I hear that the Bitteroots are good bear picture taking areas and plenty of wolves.....
They may be eating all the elk. I've heard similar storys about wolves. But the elk must still be there.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I packed a 9lb+ rifle like yours when I was in my 30's, but quickly gravitated to sub 8lb rifles for elk hunting. All my elk rigs weigh between 6.5 and 7.75 lbs with scope, sling and rounds. Anymore, the 7.75lb rifle feels heavy to me.

I still bet you'll be thinking "light is right" when you're done with your hunt. But that's part of the fun and discovery of doing it and figuring it out for yourself.

As to the Selway, I'd hunt there before I'd hunt CO. There are elk there, and you'll have a real wilderness experience with fewer people. There are bulls there to be killed. It's not loaded with elk, but they're there. Anymore, wolves are a fact of life here in the Northern Rockies. Actual hunters learn how to deal with them.

Lastly, a modern 22" 30-06 can push a 180 at 2,800 safely. Book loads are light in deference to old actions chambered for the 110 yo round. And there's nothing wrong with running your 300 Mag in the 2,950 range, though you can certainly add 100 fps to that, but you already knew that!

Best,

Brad

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being in Good Physical Shape is much more important than the rifle and cal you use when Elk Hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bea175
Being in Good Physical Shape is much more important than the rifle and cal you use when Elk Hunting

I get the sense he already knows that.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.