Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Physical fitness aspect completely:) We need to stay in good shape for are entire lives. But like Brad said, I need to learn what works for me. Talking about it in New York is never going to do me justice until I actually set foot on ground with gun in hand and pack on my back. Then I will know what things I can change. Speaking with everyone on the forum is like sitting around the Campfire, it's just nice to listen to experience.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
I can't find 2,900 fps for '06 anywhere in my books or the online pages. My standard for '06 is about 2,700 tops with the info I have. PM on the '06, 2,900

First per 06 loads - I have not tried it personally but it has been discussed on diff threads here. Check out Big Game Rifles UNDER Reloading on the Home Page. There are 36 pages of Good 30-06 Loads.

In coming days I'll try to 'search' for some of the 06 - 180 loads that 'approach' 2900 fps----24" blls.

Since your are using a 300 WM, I have used IMR 4350 & IMR 4831 w/180 gr bullets and 3100 fps is NOT hard to reach.

Those are old standby powders and we have NEWER powders that work well but I haven't tried them.

Good Luck & I'll see what I can find and relay to you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tedthorn
DIY or Guided on the easy Colorado hunts?

Colorado draw deadline is about 2 weeks away

Yeah I know, looks like OTC is out. I do believe Montana may have a few areas that will have OTC tags. As for Colorado I've heard you can score a bull pretty easy without a guide. But if I had a choice a guide without a doubt, not easy but easier maybe? Seem to have a higher head count of elk which doesn't necessarily make it more easy to hunt. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
I can't find 2,900 fps for '06 anywhere in my books or the online pages. My standard for '06 is about 2,700 tops with the info I have. PM on the '06, 2,900

First per 06 loads - I have not tried it personally but it has been discussed on diff threads here. Check out Big Game Rifles UNDER Reloading on the Home Page. There are 36 pages of Good 30-06 Loads.

In coming days I'll try to 'search' for some of the 06 - 180 loads that 'approach' 2900 fps----24" blls.

Since your are using a 300 WM, I have used IMR 4350 & IMR 4831 w/180 gr bullets and 3100 fps is NOT hard to reach.

Those are old standby powders and we have NEWER powders that work well but I haven't tried them.

Good Luck & I'll see what I can find and relay to you.

Jerry
No substitute for displacement.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Except placement.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Placement cannot be overrated.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails." Brad

That is largely the case, except they are not just big whitetails. Elk are herd animals, and they don't have a tiny one square mile home range. If you blow them out they may go miles and miles. On the other hand, you may be able to catch them...sometimes. Snow is essential to pull that off. First, you can track the to see where they went, but more importantly, when you start to catch up, you can read their behavior. When they start to meander and nibble on grouseberry and the like, they are near ready to bed. Look sharp you may already be in their boudoir.

Having started my own big game hunting career in the Adirondacks, I know what the country is like. Deer were pretty scarce then, it is better now. I adapted my dark timber hunting technique from my tracking and still-hunting North Country technique. When I got out here hunting elk, I was always behind the horse hunters. The elk were not in the meadows, but were in the timber by the time I got there, so I started going deep into the timber, tracking them to bedding areas, and learning where they went. Once you find them and start to get close, that is when "If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully" comes into play. And also when you really need the binocs to look for pieces of elk in the timber. I use 8X32 and they are plenty for that and a lot of other glassing. Bright glass is good in the dark timber. I prefer the smaller size - enough other junk hanging off me as it is. If you are looking long, a scope is best.

Your footwear sounds fine to an old ADK hunter. Good early season leather boots, but pacs you may need for cold weather. I am still using my old LL Bean pacs with the airbob soles in snow.

Elk are nothing like whitetails and they are a lot like whitetails. Once you hunt them you will get hooked. After your first trip you will start refining gear.

WyoCoyoteHunter - I think I see why your average shots are longer than mine.

Good luck ADK

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like your gtg, being in shape is paramount, elk faint near as hard to kill as most folks think, shot several with a 243, go have fun....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

Except placement.

Absolutely -

Placement TRUMPS size, speed, & power. (NO pun intended)
Also there are extremes!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
As to the Selway looks like tags are all sold out...

Don't gobble at me
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jaguar
"If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails." Brad

That is largely the case, except they are not just big whitetails. Elk are herd animals, and they don't have a tiny one square mile home range. If you blow them out they may go miles and miles. On the other hand, you may be able to catch them...sometimes. Snow is essential to pull that off. First, you can track the to see where they went, but more importantly, when you start to catch up, you can read their behavior. When they start to meander and nibble on grouseberry and the like, they are near ready to bed. Look sharp you may already be in their boudoir.

Having started my own big game hunting career in the Adirondacks, I know what the country is like. Deer were pretty scarce then, it is better now. I adapted my dark timber hunting technique from my tracking and still-hunting North Country technique. When I got out here hunting elk, I was always behind the horse hunters. The elk were not in the meadows, but were in the timber by the time I got there, so I started going deep into the timber, tracking them to bedding areas, and learning where they went. Once you find them and start to get close, that is when "If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully" comes into play. And also when you really need the binocs to look for pieces of elk in the timber. I use 8X32 and they are plenty for that and a lot of other glassing. Bright glass is good in the dark timber. I prefer the smaller size - enough other junk hanging off me as it is. If you are looking long, a scope is best.

Your footwear sounds fine to an old ADK hunter. Good early season leather boots, but pacs you may need for cold weather. I am still using my old LL Bean pacs with the airbob soles in snow.

Elk are nothing like whitetails and they are a lot like whitetails. Once you hunt them you will get hooked. After your first trip you will start refining gear.

WyoCoyoteHunter - I think I see why your average shots are longer than mine.

Good luck ADK

The point was, not that they're exactly the same, but if you can still hunt whitetails you can figure out elk.

Me, I don't hunt "herds", I look for individual bulls or small bachelor groups. I prefer to catch them out in the open feeding, but I've also tracked them to their beds and shot them there, both with and without snow... while snow makes it easier, it's by no means impossible to do without snow.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
DIY or Guided on the easy Colorado hunts?

Colorado draw deadline is about 2 weeks away

Yeah I know, looks like OTC is out. I do believe Montana may have a few areas that will have OTC tags. As for Colorado I've heard you can score a bull pretty easy without a guide. But if I had a choice a guide without a doubt, not easy but easier maybe? Seem to have a higher head count of elk which doesn't necessarily make it more easy to hunt. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Scoring a bull in Colorado easy?

Enlighten me please

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's true that you can score a bull in CO prettily easily. Or any other state with elk for that matter.

Doesn't mean you will. Hunting pressure is high in lots of areas because we get more NR elk hunters than any other state. The key is finding spots that don't have too much pressure, and getting away from the road. Which is not necessarily easy on your first trip out, unless you hunt with someone who has a good spot.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's true that you can score a bull in CO prettily easily. Or any other state with elk for that matter.

Doesn't mean you will. Hunting pressure is high in lots of areas because we get more NR elk hunters than any other state. The key is finding spots that don't have too much pressure, and getting away from the road. Which is not necessarily easy on your first trip out, unless you hunt with someone who has a good spot.
Smokepole, I like your statement. "someone who has a good spot". I wouldn't know for a fact about Colorado being more easy just what from I've heard and read. Sounds like I touched a nerve with someone? Like I said, seem to have a higher head count of elk? Just something I've read somewhere. I talked to a realtor that leases a cabin in Colorado and has stayed there himself with some friends and is a nonresident, shot a elk not far from his leased cabin within days. He didn't seem to feel it was difficult but that is him. More elk more chances. Anyway, you don't need to take words as the Gospel. I am just saying it's what I read.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's true, we have more elk than any other state, around 280k. And it can be easy. One year I ran into 4 NRs camped at the trailhead who had never hunted that particular area. I got my bull, and they got 3, the guy who didn't score couldn't really get around. We were almost the only ones hunting there.

I'm sure they went home and told everyone how easy it was. The next year, the place was really crowded and I ran into a few hunters on the trail who were grumbling about that and the lack of game. I'm sure they went home with a different opinion.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's true, we have more elk than any other state, around 280k. And it can be easy. One year I ran into 4 NRs camped at the tailhead who had never hunted that particular area. I got my bull, and they got 3, the guy who didn't score couldn't really get around. We were almost the only ones hunting there.

I'm sure they went home and told everyone how easy it was. The next year, the place was really crowded and I ran into a few hunters on the trail who were grumbling about that and the lack of game. I'm sure they went home with a different opinion.
Smokepole you know I will keep quiet about the number of elk in Colorado when I get back to NY. As far as I know, Florida has the most elk.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/20/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brad, we are actually pretty much on the same page on this. And yes, you can track them without snow. I was trying to say for ADK that elk do act differently being as they will often leave the vicinity if you really blow them out and not return, but whitetails will be back this evening or tomorrow.

And this I completely agree with "if you can still hunt whitetails, you can figure out elk."

Whitetails are often solitary, particularly the bucks, but elk, especially during the rut will be in groups with more eyes. By herd animals, I mean they are social, and generally accompanied, not that they normally run in herds of 100 animals. Particularly when wolves are around, they seem to be in small groups of 5 to maybe 10, except as harems of dominant bulls. This observation is from where I hunt. It may be different elsewhere. And has been different where I hunted without the help of wolves.

Either way ADK go have fun and learn. You will likely be back again.

J

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Smokepole you know I will keep quiet about the number of elk in Colorado when I get back to NY. As far as I know, Florida has the most elk.

That's crazy, Florida has no elk. You're thinking of Kentucky.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, he's thinking of jerking somebody's chain....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you mean he's not really gonna use a .300 WM?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
372 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.