Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

Most people from east of the Mississippi use a .300 magnum of some sort on their first elk hunt, if they don't bring something even larger.

But if they hunt elk enough, a few eventually discover elk can be killed with smaller cartridges:-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Looks like your gtg, being in shape is paramount, elk faint near as hard to kill as most folks think, shot several with a 243, go have fun....

You just caused a few strokes.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am thinking of the delicious elk burgers and steaks already. Thanks everyone for the input.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Optimism....it can't hurt

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jaguar
"If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails." Brad

That is largely the case, except they are not just big whitetails. Elk are herd animals, and they don't have a tiny one square mile home range. If you blow them out they may go miles and miles. On the other hand, you may be able to catch them...sometimes. Snow is essential to pull that off. First, you can track the to see where they went, but more importantly, when you start to catch up, you can read their behavior. When they start to meander and nibble on grouseberry and the like, they are near ready to bed. Look sharp you may already be in their boudoir.

Having started my own big game hunting career in the Adirondacks, I know what the country is like. Deer were pretty scarce then, it is better now. I adapted my dark timber hunting technique from my tracking and still-hunting North Country technique. When I got out here hunting elk, I was always behind the horse hunters. The elk were not in the meadows, but were in the timber by the time I got there, so I started going deep into the timber, tracking them to bedding areas, and learning where they went. Once you find them and start to get close, that is when "If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully" comes into play. And also when you really need the binocs to look for pieces of elk in the timber. I use 8X32 and they are plenty for that and a lot of other glassing. Bright glass is good in the dark timber. I prefer the smaller size - enough other junk hanging off me as it is. If you are looking long, a scope is best.

Your footwear sounds fine to an old ADK hunter. Good early season leather boots, but pacs you may need for cold weather. I am still using my old LL Bean pacs with the airbob soles in snow.

Elk are nothing like whitetails and they are a lot like whitetails. Once you hunt them you will get hooked. After your first trip you will start refining gear.

WyoCoyoteHunter - I think I see why your average shots are longer than mine.

Good luck ADK

The point was, not that they're exactly the same, but if you can still hunt whitetails you can figure out elk.

Me, I don't hunt "herds", I look for individual bulls or small bachelor groups. I prefer to catch them out in the open feeding, but I've also tracked them to their beds and shot them there, both with and without snow... while snow makes it easier, it's by no means impossible to do without snow.

Brad, your ample success speaks for itself. When I am hunting DIY what I try to do is hunt likely escape routes on opening day. Essentially I do the same thing with deer.
After the opener elk can be patterned in many cases by catching them traveling between where the feed at night and where they hang out in the day.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread. Nothing to add that hasn't been said well already, except that in my experience, which only amounts to CO and OR, elk seasons are SHORT, and everything changes once the lead starts flying opening day. I would advise getting to the area you are hunting at least 4-5 days early, finding your animals, and doing what it takes to be properly in position opening morning. Try to plan for other hunters. Escape routes are great, but you will only know them in hindsight, probably..... but try anyway. In particular, study maps and look for obvious saddles, or other terrain choke points, as they relate to trails that hunters will be coming in on. You'll know you found a good one if you find archery blinds.

I love the optimism and I truly hope you get to experience get "run over" by a herd your first year. It's pretty awesome. smile

If you are sharing the woods with elk, your still hunting skills will be of great use. If you aren't, then it's good that you are good physical condition, because you gotta go find them. "Legs and lungs get it done", love that.... true words.

Be conscious of the fact that you may only get one chance. Be READY. Groups of elk moving in timber can be like slow-motion grouse flushes--- things happen fast, and it can rattle a guy. Practice swinging your rifle through timber, and snap-shooting an opening. Keep your scope turned down. Be ready.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
J. Interesting, I have shot far more elk over 200than under!

Then again, I've shot a lot more elk at 50yds and less than over 200....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jeff O sums it up well. Getting there a few days early would also give you time to get accustomed to less O2 availability. The higher elevation does take a toll, regardless of whether you are Ironman or not. It took my ADK brother several days to get used to the elevation last fall. The first couple days were a lot more of a challenge going from 1,000 feet at his home to 9,000 feet and up where the elk were. The 46ers at 4,000 feet are not going to gain you enough conditioning. Sometimes you will have a problem with altitude one trip and not another. But a few days to acclimate will sure help you out.

Just make sure that when you find them early, you don't crowd them and blow them out before opening day. eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll toss my hat in this one...

Flock of rugers chambered from .257 bob to .338 win with the odd ball rem 700 LS 25-06 and an ol' 1895 Marlin 45-70 lever gun... most often used 280, 7mm rem mag anymore.

Nosler partitions done most the work. A few hot cores, horn IL's, and now ballistic tips join proven elk bullets in my rifles. I zero bolt guns for 200 yards, just in case of a long poke grin

A Leupould on everything save the marlin, open sights, and the odd ball 700 which wears a Nikon 3x9-40 pro-staff IF i remember right.

Vortec 8x42 binocs for long range viewing.

Only kilt one elk past 300 yards.... A real stretch at 305 yards the range finder lazered. Was packing the 338 win stoked with 250 gr horn spire points @2700fps that day.

Most elk killed under 150 yards. Mostly due to hunting style ambush, spot and stock, walk down a heard. Closest kill was 33 feet, ambush style cool

Elk are not hard to kill. Hit them right, they are done. There bones are heavier and muscles thicker than deer, plan accordingly.

I am not above shattering hips if need be. Also made head shots on different occasions. Rifle and zero familiarity pays off big. My 280 is just another appendage like my right hand.

Last edited by boomwack; 03/22/16.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ha!

Most people from east of the Mississippi use a .300 magnum of some sort on their first elk hunt, if they don't bring something even larger.

M D, no offense taken. I'm WEST of the Miss. whistle

Seriously tho, I am the RESULT of the Gun Mags in the 70-80s. I don't remember hardly any articles about Elk hunting recommending LESS than 06 and 'my memory' says 300 Mag and UP were recommended.

I had a serious trip planned in '86 to Co. but my buddies had to postpone the trip. I was gonna take my 300 WM with a 7 RM as back up.

I've been a member here since 9/2010 and have been seeing where locals are using anything from 223 - 338 WM. That said, I guess it's ingrained, when/IF I get to hunt Elk here or elsewhere I WILL BE packing my Winlite 300 WM.( I like the rifle itself)

I have & like my 700 8 RM but it's too heavy compared to my Winlite.

TODAY, I know and would have complete confidence in my T 3 Lite 270 but I get to hunt it a lot. So---I'd be looking to use 06--300 WM AND I know smaller cal/cartS would do nicely.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt with rifles that I like to carry and use, and I don't obsess over what cartridge they are chambered for. I do pay attention to bullet construction and terminal performance, especially when I get down to around .27 caliber or so.

I still need to kill an elk with my .338 Howell, and while I was in Tucson yesterday I picked up a box of 185 TTSXs to try. So far, I haven't tried anything that light in .33 caliber rifles. I hope that the rifle likes them. If so, I expect they will do the job.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 30338
Placement cannot be overrated.

Speaking of caliber and placement, obviously lots of calibers can work on elk (have used several), but placement is another story.

Check out Bad Idea part two. Anatomic measurements of a winter kill. under Elk Hunting to bone up on your elk anatomy (so to speak grin ) https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Idea_part_two._Anatomic_me#Post10949684

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jeff O sums it up well. Getting there a few days early would also give you time to get accustomed to less O2 availability. The higher elevation does take a toll, regardless of whether you are Ironman or not. It took my ADK brother several days to get used to the elevation last fall. The first couple days were a lot more of a challenge going from 1,000 feet at his home to 9,000 feet and up where the elk were. The 46ers at 4,000 feet are not going to gain you enough conditioning. Sometimes you will have a problem with altitude one trip and not another. But a few days to acclimate will sure help you out.

Just make sure that when you find them early, you don't crowd them and blow them out before opening day. eek
It was a thought to arrive a couple weeks early.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

This will put you in and amongst other hunters hunting a season in front of you......

Be mindful to give them room

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tedthorn

This will put you in and amongst other hunters hunting a season in front of you......

Definitely will stay in a campground with the truck until a few days before the hunt. Look over terrain on the maps. Saddles and streams and the slopes.

Oscar Wilde~~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Or an elliptical.
I do hiking with stout loads in the Adirondacks and when I am not doing that I can be found cycling a 100mile a week on a mt bike. But the stair machines are at my village gym. The cycling is great cardio.

Village? Who lives in a village?

308 would work nicely too, so I think you are covered.

Whats your personal max distance to shoot?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Definitely will stay in a campground with the truck until a few days before the hunt. Look over terrain on the maps. Saddles and streams and the slopes.

I can only speak for myself, but I never begrudge anyone I meet up in the mountains, whether I'm hunting or not. I figure they have just as much right to be there as I do.

So go early and enjoy yourself. Get out and hike the hills, see what's what, get acclimated, and maybe take a fishing rod along for those mountain creeks and lakes. It's supposed to be fun. If you meet up with someone who thinks otherwise, that's not your problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fullfan
As to the Selway looks like tags are all sold out...

That's what I call a lucky break.....

What are the current success rates in the Selway, about 5 percent?

A non-resident, non guided first time hunter in the Selway is even less than that.

Lots of timber, rough as a corncob and very low numbers of game. 3 of us spent 10 days in that area several years ago, NO thanks, no desire to ever return.

10x glass is too strong for that area, and with the amount of timber, drop charts are also not needed, Hell, more than likely even the rifle won't be needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

Actually, I live in a village--unincorporated, no gym.
[Linked Image]
Well, close, anyway. My place is just out of the photo to the right. smile

Last edited by mudhen; 03/26/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rost495

Me.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.