Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by rost495
Village? Who lives in a village?

vil·lage
ˈvilij/
noun
noun: village; plural noun: villages

A group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Me.

one thing about rost, he's consistent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Be mindful to give them room

Definitely will stay in a campground with the truck until a few days before the hunt. Look over terrain on the maps. Saddles and streams and the slopes.

I can only speak for myself, but I never begrudge anyone I meet up in the mountains, whether I'm hunting or not. I figure they have just as much right to be there as I do.

So go early and enjoy yourself. Get out and hike the hills, see what's what, get acclimated, and maybe take a fishing rod along for those mountain creeks and lakes. It's supposed to be fun. If you meet up with someone who thinks otherwise, that's not your problem.

Yes everyone on public land is allowed to be there and has the same rights regardless if they are a hunter, fisherman, camper or a hiker.

I respect them all and give them all plenty room if at all possible and never purposely intrude on anyone's space. This will make everyone's trip more enjoyable

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I live outside the village in a town. I think my max would have to be 300 yd. I have shot 500 yards though at a target.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But if they hunt elk enough, a few eventually discover elk can be killed with smaller cartridges:-)

And lighter guns too.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only elk hunt I ever went on I took a .30-06 and a 7 RM for backup. I hunted the whole time with the .30-06, mainly because the rifle was lighter (Tikka T3 lite). I was running 180 Core-Lokts in the '06. I saw bucks before daylight, and in a field by the road, but no elk. I did watch a black bear on a mountainside. It was an interesting experience.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen

Actually, I live in a village--unincorporated, no gym.
[Linked Image]
Well, close, anyway. My place is just out of the photo to the right. smile

Mudhen, that is beautiful!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I actually have a rifle in mind that is much lighter then the Winny. It currently is in the works; Bell&Carlson sporter stock in 270 caliber topped with a Nikon 3-9 x 40 15 Moa base 22'' barrel 140 Accubond peppered nicely with IMR 4350 56 grains. Not the lightest but adequate. Shoots and carries well.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A thread about an imaginary rifle.

After 8 pages a different rifle is imagined, complete with load data.

You might want to imagine a little less powder in your imaginary 270, several actual rifles here top out around 53-54gr IMR 4350 with the 140gr accubond.

You wouldn't want to have to wear an imaginary eye patch.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have several non imaginary rifles. Thanks for reading the post. Truly 55 gr. is my load but who asked you. The last rifle is a work in progress.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

J
J
My daughter honored the hell out of a bull last fall with a Rem. Sportsman76, birch stock, williams peep, 180 grain 30-06 coreloks. I suppose that was overkill, as we were in Colorado, where we could have let the tent flap open and the bulls would walked in. By the way what color crayon do you mark your freezer paper with? Rounded point or pointed soft points?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If you can't behave on the thread maybe you shouldn't post your own childish comments, that was all anyone said. Grow up! Testy aren't we?

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
It will be a 300 win mag Winchester Super Grade with a Nikon 4.5x14-44. I believe the rifle has a type of epoxy as a bedding which helps float the barrel. I've reloaded two different bullets with the same fps which is 2'900 to 2'950 give or take a couple fps. One bullet is Barnes 180 TSX all copper which gave me moa @ 100yd. The other is a Swift A Frame 180 with nearly the same results. My zero is @ 200yd. I like to use the military type slings.

10x42 Binocs. for glassing.

I will have a nice range finder as well in order to judge my distance which I am terrible at. Working on that one:)

Bullet trajectory chart

Feel free to add anything.

As has been pointed out, you are about a whole 200 +\- fps below your cartridges capability not that will keep you from killing a bull; it won't but if you are going to stay "there" why not go to a lighter build '06 that will probably get you to 2800 or slightly more safely? There will be minimal change in trajectory from what you are currently using with maybe a pound less weight to carry. Believe me that does make a difference over a weeks time.

OTOH, another 200 fps does make some energy and trajectory difference.

Either way, do good research, have good boots, and be in good shape above all and do a lot of shooting to as far as you can go from different positions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To hell with all this rifle bs

Have you acquired a license yet?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
George_De_Vries_3rd

Thank you for the thoughts. Speaking of a good hunting boot could anyone recommend a good boot around the $200.00 range I have a light weight winter boot from Sorel but a old pair of Danner Pronghorns. As for ankle support I wear a Keen PCT hiking boot.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
License.....before boots

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for the thoughts. Speaking of a good hunting boot could anyone recommend a good boot around the $200.00 range. I have a light weight winter boot from Sorel and an old pair of Danner Pronghorns. As for ankle support, I wear a Keen PCT hiking boot.

( I had to make a few corrections to my last post people, sorry for the nonsensical grammar and punctuation errors) I waited too long to correct the post before proof reading it. So, I've rewritten it here.

I believe I have until the beginning of July this year for the license and tag?

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 05/22/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What state?

If Pronghorns have worked for you, get a new pair and start breaking them in. They are an appropriate boot except for cold weather.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Albeit the Pronghorn's are broken in nicely! Maybe a good brushing and some oil?

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 05/23/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 33 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.