Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It will be a 300 win mag Winchester Super Grade with a Nikon 4.5x14-44. I believe the rifle has a type of epoxy as a bedding which helps float the barrel. I've reloaded two different bullets with the same fps which is 2'900 to 2'950 give or take a couple fps. One bullet is Barnes 180 TSX all copper which gave me moa @ 100yd. The other is a Swift A Frame 180 with nearly the same results. My zero is @ 200yd. I like to use the military type slings.

10x42 Binocs. for glassing.

I will have a nice range finder as well in order to judge my distance which I am terrible at. Working on that one:)

Bullet trajectory chart

Feel free to add anything.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/18/16. Reason: spelling

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good to know.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where will you be hunting?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where the elk are.

Oscar Wilde~~
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your rifle sounds solid, but you might want to try the 168 TTSX's really no need for a 180 mono in a 300m , and you will have more than enough penetration with the 168"s 180 Aframe is good choice also, do you have a good pack? smile

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looks like I am leaning towards the kelty Cache. Nice looking pack with a external frame. Capable of hauling the goods out.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You need a stair master.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Or an elliptical.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Or an elliptical.
I do hiking with stout loads in the Adirondacks and when I am not doing that I can be found cycling a 100mile a week on a mt bike. But the stair machines are at my village gym. The cycling is great cardio.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Legs and lungs get it done.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
Good to know.

Well, I was wondering.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My elk rig is a 91 dodge 2500 1976 Featherlite goose neck with wood stove. 14,22,9 year old John mules. And a pair of 9 year old mollys.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
back country -

You've got a very good start.

I don't want to complicate things but I do know that you can get 3100 + fps with 180 gr bullets- IF you want it.

I've used IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 and case life is very good.

Something to consider.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Angus1895
My elk rig is a 91 dodge 2500 1976 Featherlite goose neck with wood stove. 14,22,9 year old John mules. And a pair of 9 year old mollys.

I like that elk rig Angus. I could use something like that myself in my advanced state of degradation.

ADK the reason I asked is that 4.5X may be all you ever need. There is a lot of dark timber with elk in it and if you are in that you will want to keep your scope cranked down for a short and quick shot like you can get in those North Woods. While I have made at least three long shots (200+ is long for me), in a lot of hunts in WY, CO, & MT, my average shot has been a bit under 45 yards.

The Adirondacks ought to be good training for our western terrain. There is plenty of elevation gain and rough country. The only thing they lack is the altitude.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Best of luck!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
J. Interesting, I have shot far more elk over 200than under!

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

You hunt Red Desert??

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
No, mostly 12,21,110 last year area 7. I avoid black timber like the plague!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You are asking for personal preferences so here's mine: I very much prefer an 8 power binocular over a 10 power. Your image will be better because it will not appear to be dancing around nearly as much. I hardly see any 10x binoculars where I hunt for that reason.

Best of luck on your hunt!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
back country -

You've got a very good start.

I don't want to complicate things but I do know that you can get 3100 + fps with 180 gr bullets- IF you want it.

I've used IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 and case life is very good.

Something to consider.

Good Luck

Jerry
Thanks for the recommendations, that is fast for a .308 bullet no doubt. I have used 2,900 fps for so many loads it just seems to be my go to. My reloading manual has well a worn page.

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You made me go RE read the OP by saying 308 bullet. No doubt that 2900 fps will work ...(it's not much more than an 06 and some 06s will beat 2900)... but the 300 WM is capable of much more.

I would NOT shoot c/c at Elk with 3100 fps. But there are NPs, A frames, monos, etc.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Originally Posted by Angus1895

I like that elk rig Angus. I could use something like that myself in my advanced state of degradation.

ADK the reason I asked is that 4.5X may be all you ever need. There is a lot of dark timber with elk in it and if you are in that you will want to keep your scope cranked down for a short and quick shot like you can get in those North Woods. While I have made at least three long shots (200+ is long for me), in a lot of hunts in WY, CO, & MT, my average shot has been a bit under 45 yards.

The Adirondacks ought to be good training for our western terrain. There is plenty of elevation gain and rough country. The only thing they lack is the altitude.
Much of the Adk's have blow down so thick you really can't hunt there and some of the higher elevations hardly see hunters aside from the random road hunter's. It is tough country indeed and hunter's need to pick there spots. 4.5 is close to normal carry. I know I shouldn't say this but my rifle is on my shoulder part of the time I am in the woods and my binocs the other times. Elk are not whitetail but I rarely bump into whitetails that haven't seen me first. Trusty lever actions fit the bill in the ADK's. Some of the southern ADK's just outside the park have long shooting well over 400-500 yards if granted permission to hunt the area.

Oscar Wilde~~
J
J
Only two things you really need, be downwind and hold still.oops three things, luck trumps all the rest.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice shooting rig. Now, I want to hear about your training rig, I have a new Santa Cruz 5010 V2 with an MRP Stage up front.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good comfortable ,yet supportive boots are more important then the rifle. With out the boots the rest is not needed. I wear Kenetreks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree on how important good boots are. I use Meindl's when it's warmer and Schnee pacs when the snow gets deep. Your 300 mag sounds like a good bet, but my 300 WSM prefers 180 grain Accubonds. I think a 10x binocular is probably to much power for elk hunting, I use a 8x32 Pentax and have a spotting scope that usually gets more use from the truck. Good Luck

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ADK, what state you hunting and what's your method?

A backpack hunt, or dayhiking out of a basecamp, etc?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You made me go RE read the OP by saying 308 bullet. No doubt that 2900 fps will work ...(it's not much more than an 06 and some 06s will beat 2900)... but the 300 WM is capable of much more.

I would NOT shoot c/c at Elk with 3100 fps. But there are NPs, A frames, monos, etc.

Good Luck

Jerry
I can't find 2,900 fps for '06 anywhere in my books or the online pages. My standard for '06 is about 2,700 tops with the info I have. PM on the '06, 2,900

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad

I've spoken with a guide in Montana that will do drop camps in Idaho for a week into the Bitterroot Mts. He drops you off for a week and if you shoot your elk they will pack it out for you after. Wall tents set up for you with firewood and cots and such, just bring food, water, sleeping bag and gun. If I don't go there maybe thinking of easier hunts in Colorado. As for type of hunt, a base camp hunt with maybe a two night stay in the bush with a solo tent.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/19/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Nice shooting rig. Now, I want to hear about your training rig, I have a new Santa Cruz 5010 V2 with an MRP Stage up front.
Garyfisher X Caliber 29er American made before they moved some production to Taiwan. I believe 2008 or 2009 was the last year for the X Caliber in America.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/19/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Agree on how important good boots are. I use Meindl's when it's warmer and Schnee pacs when the snow gets deep. Your 300 mag sounds like a good bet, but my 300 WSM prefers 180 grain Accubonds. I think a 10x binocular is probably to much power for elk hunting, I use a 8x32 Pentax and have a spotting scope that usually gets more use from the truck. Good Luck
I have a pair of really heavy duty hiking boots with excellent ankle support that I use. Maybe Sorel leather pac boots in case of snow.

The 10x42 were a stab in the dark. Maybe a 8x or something compact after doing more research. I also have a nice compact Remington 700 BDL with a 24'' barrel in 30'06 I could bring. But not to stray from my original plan, Two more inches of barrel should be okay.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
DIY or Guided on the easy Colorado hunts?

Colorado draw deadline is about 2 weeks away

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

I've spoken with a guide in Montana that will do drop camps in Idaho for a week into the Bitterroot Mts. He drops you off for a week and if you shoot your elk they will pack it out for you after. Wall tents set up for you with firewood and cots and such, just bring food, water, sleeping bag and gun. If I don't go there maybe thinking of easier hunts in Colorado. As for type of hunt, a base camp hunt with maybe a two night stay in the bush with a solo tent.

I would not hunt that area.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hear that the Bitteroots are good bear picture taking areas and plenty of wolves.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like you're going to have fun... best of luck with your hunt!

If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails.

Sounds like conditioning isn't an issue.

Boots, when you say you have "heavy duty hiking boots," are they comfortable? No blistering I hope? For me, I don't like to elk hunt in Sorels or the like. Lousy support. You'll feel it in the ankles after a day in the steep. I find a good, tall "Mountain Hunter" with the equivalent of 400 grams Thinsulate is a perfect "all-around" boot that will cover any condition in the fall Rockies. I'd be thinking that way.

Binoculars, that's personal. I like a small 8x32, but the 10x42 is essentially the "30-06 of Western binoculars." They're really never "wrong."

Rifle. I can guarantee you you'll get back from your first elk hunt thinking about a light rifle grin

Again, best wishes on your trip... Elk hunting is addictive!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds like you're going to have fun... best of luck with your hunt!

If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails.

Sounds like conditioning isn't an issue.

Boots, when you say you have "heavy duty hiking boots," are they comfortable? No blistering I hope? For me, I don't like to elk hunt in Sorels or the like. Lousy support. You'll feel it in the ankles after a day in the steep. I find a good, tall "Mountain Hunter" with the equivalent of 400 grams Thinsulate is a perfect "all-around" boot that will cover any condition in the fall Rockies. I'd be thinking that way.

Binoculars, that's personal. I like a small 8x32, but the 10x42 is essentially the "30-06 of Western binoculars." They're really never "wrong."

Rifle. I can guarantee you you'll get back from your first elk hunt thinking about a light rifle grin

Again, best wishes on your trip... Elk hunting is addictive!

I like the weight for a more steady rest. Just haven't made the trip yet. Thanks

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I hear that the Bitteroots are good bear picture taking areas and plenty of wolves.....
They may be eating all the elk. I've heard similar storys about wolves. But the elk must still be there.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I packed a 9lb+ rifle like yours when I was in my 30's, but quickly gravitated to sub 8lb rifles for elk hunting. All my elk rigs weigh between 6.5 and 7.75 lbs with scope, sling and rounds. Anymore, the 7.75lb rifle feels heavy to me.

I still bet you'll be thinking "light is right" when you're done with your hunt. But that's part of the fun and discovery of doing it and figuring it out for yourself.

As to the Selway, I'd hunt there before I'd hunt CO. There are elk there, and you'll have a real wilderness experience with fewer people. There are bulls there to be killed. It's not loaded with elk, but they're there. Anymore, wolves are a fact of life here in the Northern Rockies. Actual hunters learn how to deal with them.

Lastly, a modern 22" 30-06 can push a 180 at 2,800 safely. Book loads are light in deference to old actions chambered for the 110 yo round. And there's nothing wrong with running your 300 Mag in the 2,950 range, though you can certainly add 100 fps to that, but you already knew that!

Best,

Brad

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being in Good Physical Shape is much more important than the rifle and cal you use when Elk Hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bea175
Being in Good Physical Shape is much more important than the rifle and cal you use when Elk Hunting

I get the sense he already knows that.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Physical fitness aspect completely:) We need to stay in good shape for are entire lives. But like Brad said, I need to learn what works for me. Talking about it in New York is never going to do me justice until I actually set foot on ground with gun in hand and pack on my back. Then I will know what things I can change. Speaking with everyone on the forum is like sitting around the Campfire, it's just nice to listen to experience.

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't find 2,900 fps for '06 anywhere in my books or the online pages. My standard for '06 is about 2,700 tops with the info I have. PM on the '06, 2,900

First per 06 loads - I have not tried it personally but it has been discussed on diff threads here. Check out Big Game Rifles UNDER Reloading on the Home Page. There are 36 pages of Good 30-06 Loads.

In coming days I'll try to 'search' for some of the 06 - 180 loads that 'approach' 2900 fps----24" blls.

Since your are using a 300 WM, I have used IMR 4350 & IMR 4831 w/180 gr bullets and 3100 fps is NOT hard to reach.

Those are old standby powders and we have NEWER powders that work well but I haven't tried them.

Good Luck & I'll see what I can find and relay to you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Yeah I know, looks like OTC is out. I do believe Montana may have a few areas that will have OTC tags. As for Colorado I've heard you can score a bull pretty easy without a guide. But if I had a choice a guide without a doubt, not easy but easier maybe? Seem to have a higher head count of elk which doesn't necessarily make it more easy to hunt. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

First per 06 loads - I have not tried it personally but it has been discussed on diff threads here. Check out Big Game Rifles UNDER Reloading on the Home Page. There are 36 pages of Good 30-06 Loads.

In coming days I'll try to 'search' for some of the 06 - 180 loads that 'approach' 2900 fps----24" blls.

Since your are using a 300 WM, I have used IMR 4350 & IMR 4831 w/180 gr bullets and 3100 fps is NOT hard to reach.

Those are old standby powders and we have NEWER powders that work well but I haven't tried them.

Jerry
No substitute for displacement.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Except placement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Placement cannot be overrated.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails." Brad

That is largely the case, except they are not just big whitetails. Elk are herd animals, and they don't have a tiny one square mile home range. If you blow them out they may go miles and miles. On the other hand, you may be able to catch them...sometimes. Snow is essential to pull that off. First, you can track the to see where they went, but more importantly, when you start to catch up, you can read their behavior. When they start to meander and nibble on grouseberry and the like, they are near ready to bed. Look sharp you may already be in their boudoir.

Having started my own big game hunting career in the Adirondacks, I know what the country is like. Deer were pretty scarce then, it is better now. I adapted my dark timber hunting technique from my tracking and still-hunting North Country technique. When I got out here hunting elk, I was always behind the horse hunters. The elk were not in the meadows, but were in the timber by the time I got there, so I started going deep into the timber, tracking them to bedding areas, and learning where they went. Once you find them and start to get close, that is when "If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully" comes into play. And also when you really need the binocs to look for pieces of elk in the timber. I use 8X32 and they are plenty for that and a lot of other glassing. Bright glass is good in the dark timber. I prefer the smaller size - enough other junk hanging off me as it is. If you are looking long, a scope is best.

Your footwear sounds fine to an old ADK hunter. Good early season leather boots, but pacs you may need for cold weather. I am still using my old LL Bean pacs with the airbob soles in snow.

Elk are nothing like whitetails and they are a lot like whitetails. Once you hunt them you will get hooked. After your first trip you will start refining gear.

WyoCoyoteHunter - I think I see why your average shots are longer than mine.

Good luck ADK

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like your gtg, being in shape is paramount, elk faint near as hard to kill as most folks think, shot several with a 243, go have fun....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

Except placement.

Absolutely -

Placement TRUMPS size, speed, & power. (NO pun intended)
Also there are extremes!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As to the Selway looks like tags are all sold out...

Don't gobble at me
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully you'll be a natural elk hunter. Just treat them like big whitetails." Brad

That is largely the case, except they are not just big whitetails. Elk are herd animals, and they don't have a tiny one square mile home range. If you blow them out they may go miles and miles. On the other hand, you may be able to catch them...sometimes. Snow is essential to pull that off. First, you can track the to see where they went, but more importantly, when you start to catch up, you can read their behavior. When they start to meander and nibble on grouseberry and the like, they are near ready to bed. Look sharp you may already be in their boudoir.

Having started my own big game hunting career in the Adirondacks, I know what the country is like. Deer were pretty scarce then, it is better now. I adapted my dark timber hunting technique from my tracking and still-hunting North Country technique. When I got out here hunting elk, I was always behind the horse hunters. The elk were not in the meadows, but were in the timber by the time I got there, so I started going deep into the timber, tracking them to bedding areas, and learning where they went. Once you find them and start to get close, that is when "If you can still-hunt whitetails in the ADK successfully" comes into play. And also when you really need the binocs to look for pieces of elk in the timber. I use 8X32 and they are plenty for that and a lot of other glassing. Bright glass is good in the dark timber. I prefer the smaller size - enough other junk hanging off me as it is. If you are looking long, a scope is best.

Your footwear sounds fine to an old ADK hunter. Good early season leather boots, but pacs you may need for cold weather. I am still using my old LL Bean pacs with the airbob soles in snow.

Elk are nothing like whitetails and they are a lot like whitetails. Once you hunt them you will get hooked. After your first trip you will start refining gear.

Good luck ADK

The point was, not that they're exactly the same, but if you can still hunt whitetails you can figure out elk.

Me, I don't hunt "herds", I look for individual bulls or small bachelor groups. I prefer to catch them out in the open feeding, but I've also tracked them to their beds and shot them there, both with and without snow... while snow makes it easier, it's by no means impossible to do without snow.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah I know, looks like OTC is out. I do believe Montana may have a few areas that will have OTC tags. As for Colorado I've heard you can score a bull pretty easy without a guide. But if I had a choice a guide without a doubt, not easy but easier maybe? Seem to have a higher head count of elk which doesn't necessarily make it more easy to hunt. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Scoring a bull in Colorado easy?

Enlighten me please

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's true that you can score a bull in CO prettily easily. Or any other state with elk for that matter.

Doesn't mean you will. Hunting pressure is high in lots of areas because we get more NR elk hunters than any other state. The key is finding spots that don't have too much pressure, and getting away from the road. Which is not necessarily easy on your first trip out, unless you hunt with someone who has a good spot.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's true that you can score a bull in CO prettily easily. Or any other state with elk for that matter.

Doesn't mean you will. Hunting pressure is high in lots of areas because we get more NR elk hunters than any other state. The key is finding spots that don't have too much pressure, and getting away from the road. Which is not necessarily easy on your first trip out, unless you hunt with someone who has a good spot.
Smokepole, I like your statement. "someone who has a good spot". I wouldn't know for a fact about Colorado being more easy just what from I've heard and read. Sounds like I touched a nerve with someone? Like I said, seem to have a higher head count of elk? Just something I've read somewhere. I talked to a realtor that leases a cabin in Colorado and has stayed there himself with some friends and is a nonresident, shot a elk not far from his leased cabin within days. He didn't seem to feel it was difficult but that is him. More elk more chances. Anyway, you don't need to take words as the Gospel. I am just saying it's what I read.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's true, we have more elk than any other state, around 280k. And it can be easy. One year I ran into 4 NRs camped at the trailhead who had never hunted that particular area. I got my bull, and they got 3, the guy who didn't score couldn't really get around. We were almost the only ones hunting there.

I'm sure they went home and told everyone how easy it was. The next year, the place was really crowded and I ran into a few hunters on the trail who were grumbling about that and the lack of game. I'm sure they went home with a different opinion.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's true, we have more elk than any other state, around 280k. And it can be easy. One year I ran into 4 NRs camped at the tailhead who had never hunted that particular area. I got my bull, and they got 3, the guy who didn't score couldn't really get around. We were almost the only ones hunting there.

I'm sure they went home and told everyone how easy it was. The next year, the place was really crowded and I ran into a few hunters on the trail who were grumbling about that and the lack of game. I'm sure they went home with a different opinion.
Smokepole you know I will keep quiet about the number of elk in Colorado when I get back to NY. As far as I know, Florida has the most elk.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 03/20/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brad, we are actually pretty much on the same page on this. And yes, you can track them without snow. I was trying to say for ADK that elk do act differently being as they will often leave the vicinity if you really blow them out and not return, but whitetails will be back this evening or tomorrow.

And this I completely agree with "if you can still hunt whitetails, you can figure out elk."

Whitetails are often solitary, particularly the bucks, but elk, especially during the rut will be in groups with more eyes. By herd animals, I mean they are social, and generally accompanied, not that they normally run in herds of 100 animals. Particularly when wolves are around, they seem to be in small groups of 5 to maybe 10, except as harems of dominant bulls. This observation is from where I hunt. It may be different elsewhere. And has been different where I hunted without the help of wolves.

Either way ADK go have fun and learn. You will likely be back again.

J

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Smokepole you know I will keep quiet about the number of elk in Colorado when I get back to NY. As far as I know, Florida has the most elk.

That's crazy, Florida has no elk. You're thinking of Kentucky.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, he's thinking of jerking somebody's chain....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you mean he's not really gonna use a .300 WM?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

Most people from east of the Mississippi use a .300 magnum of some sort on their first elk hunt, if they don't bring something even larger.

But if they hunt elk enough, a few eventually discover elk can be killed with smaller cartridges:-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Looks like your gtg, being in shape is paramount, elk faint near as hard to kill as most folks think, shot several with a 243, go have fun....

You just caused a few strokes.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am thinking of the delicious elk burgers and steaks already. Thanks everyone for the input.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Optimism....it can't hurt

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Good luck ADK

The point was, not that they're exactly the same, but if you can still hunt whitetails you can figure out elk.

Me, I don't hunt "herds", I look for individual bulls or small bachelor groups. I prefer to catch them out in the open feeding, but I've also tracked them to their beds and shot them there, both with and without snow... while snow makes it easier, it's by no means impossible to do without snow.

Brad, your ample success speaks for itself. When I am hunting DIY what I try to do is hunt likely escape routes on opening day. Essentially I do the same thing with deer.
After the opener elk can be patterned in many cases by catching them traveling between where the feed at night and where they hang out in the day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread. Nothing to add that hasn't been said well already, except that in my experience, which only amounts to CO and OR, elk seasons are SHORT, and everything changes once the lead starts flying opening day. I would advise getting to the area you are hunting at least 4-5 days early, finding your animals, and doing what it takes to be properly in position opening morning. Try to plan for other hunters. Escape routes are great, but you will only know them in hindsight, probably..... but try anyway. In particular, study maps and look for obvious saddles, or other terrain choke points, as they relate to trails that hunters will be coming in on. You'll know you found a good one if you find archery blinds.

I love the optimism and I truly hope you get to experience get "run over" by a herd your first year. It's pretty awesome. smile

If you are sharing the woods with elk, your still hunting skills will be of great use. If you aren't, then it's good that you are good physical condition, because you gotta go find them. "Legs and lungs get it done", love that.... true words.

Be conscious of the fact that you may only get one chance. Be READY. Groups of elk moving in timber can be like slow-motion grouse flushes--- things happen fast, and it can rattle a guy. Practice swinging your rifle through timber, and snap-shooting an opening. Keep your scope turned down. Be ready.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Then again, I've shot a lot more elk at 50yds and less than over 200....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jeff O sums it up well. Getting there a few days early would also give you time to get accustomed to less O2 availability. The higher elevation does take a toll, regardless of whether you are Ironman or not. It took my ADK brother several days to get used to the elevation last fall. The first couple days were a lot more of a challenge going from 1,000 feet at his home to 9,000 feet and up where the elk were. The 46ers at 4,000 feet are not going to gain you enough conditioning. Sometimes you will have a problem with altitude one trip and not another. But a few days to acclimate will sure help you out.

Just make sure that when you find them early, you don't crowd them and blow them out before opening day. eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll toss my hat in this one...

Flock of rugers chambered from .257 bob to .338 win with the odd ball rem 700 LS 25-06 and an ol' 1895 Marlin 45-70 lever gun... most often used 280, 7mm rem mag anymore.

Nosler partitions done most the work. A few hot cores, horn IL's, and now ballistic tips join proven elk bullets in my rifles. I zero bolt guns for 200 yards, just in case of a long poke grin

A Leupould on everything save the marlin, open sights, and the odd ball 700 which wears a Nikon 3x9-40 pro-staff IF i remember right.

Vortec 8x42 binocs for long range viewing.

Only kilt one elk past 300 yards.... A real stretch at 305 yards the range finder lazered. Was packing the 338 win stoked with 250 gr horn spire points @2700fps that day.

Most elk killed under 150 yards. Mostly due to hunting style ambush, spot and stock, walk down a heard. Closest kill was 33 feet, ambush style cool

Elk are not hard to kill. Hit them right, they are done. There bones are heavier and muscles thicker than deer, plan accordingly.

I am not above shattering hips if need be. Also made head shots on different occasions. Rifle and zero familiarity pays off big. My 280 is just another appendage like my right hand.

Last edited by boomwack; 03/22/16.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ha!

Most people from east of the Mississippi use a .300 magnum of some sort on their first elk hunt, if they don't bring something even larger.

M D, no offense taken. I'm WEST of the Miss. whistle

Seriously tho, I am the RESULT of the Gun Mags in the 70-80s. I don't remember hardly any articles about Elk hunting recommending LESS than 06 and 'my memory' says 300 Mag and UP were recommended.

I had a serious trip planned in '86 to Co. but my buddies had to postpone the trip. I was gonna take my 300 WM with a 7 RM as back up.

I've been a member here since 9/2010 and have been seeing where locals are using anything from 223 - 338 WM. That said, I guess it's ingrained, when/IF I get to hunt Elk here or elsewhere I WILL BE packing my Winlite 300 WM.( I like the rifle itself)

I have & like my 700 8 RM but it's too heavy compared to my Winlite.

TODAY, I know and would have complete confidence in my T 3 Lite 270 but I get to hunt it a lot. So---I'd be looking to use 06--300 WM AND I know smaller cal/cartS would do nicely.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt with rifles that I like to carry and use, and I don't obsess over what cartridge they are chambered for. I do pay attention to bullet construction and terminal performance, especially when I get down to around .27 caliber or so.

I still need to kill an elk with my .338 Howell, and while I was in Tucson yesterday I picked up a box of 185 TTSXs to try. So far, I haven't tried anything that light in .33 caliber rifles. I hope that the rifle likes them. If so, I expect they will do the job.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 30338
Placement cannot be overrated.

Speaking of caliber and placement, obviously lots of calibers can work on elk (have used several), but placement is another story.

Check out Bad Idea part two. Anatomic measurements of a winter kill. under Elk Hunting to bone up on your elk anatomy (so to speak grin ) https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Idea_part_two._Anatomic_me#Post10949684

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jeff O sums it up well. Getting there a few days early would also give you time to get accustomed to less O2 availability. The higher elevation does take a toll, regardless of whether you are Ironman or not. It took my ADK brother several days to get used to the elevation last fall. The first couple days were a lot more of a challenge going from 1,000 feet at his home to 9,000 feet and up where the elk were. The 46ers at 4,000 feet are not going to gain you enough conditioning. Sometimes you will have a problem with altitude one trip and not another. But a few days to acclimate will sure help you out.

Just make sure that when you find them early, you don't crowd them and blow them out before opening day. eek
It was a thought to arrive a couple weeks early.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

This will put you in and amongst other hunters hunting a season in front of you......

Be mindful to give them room

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

This will put you in and amongst other hunters hunting a season in front of you......

Definitely will stay in a campground with the truck until a few days before the hunt. Look over terrain on the maps. Saddles and streams and the slopes.

Oscar Wilde~~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Or an elliptical.
I do hiking with stout loads in the Adirondacks and when I am not doing that I can be found cycling a 100mile a week on a mt bike. But the stair machines are at my village gym. The cycling is great cardio.

Village? Who lives in a village?

308 would work nicely too, so I think you are covered.

Whats your personal max distance to shoot?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Definitely will stay in a campground with the truck until a few days before the hunt. Look over terrain on the maps. Saddles and streams and the slopes.

I can only speak for myself, but I never begrudge anyone I meet up in the mountains, whether I'm hunting or not. I figure they have just as much right to be there as I do.

So go early and enjoy yourself. Get out and hike the hills, see what's what, get acclimated, and maybe take a fishing rod along for those mountain creeks and lakes. It's supposed to be fun. If you meet up with someone who thinks otherwise, that's not your problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fullfan
As to the Selway looks like tags are all sold out...

That's what I call a lucky break.....

What are the current success rates in the Selway, about 5 percent?

A non-resident, non guided first time hunter in the Selway is even less than that.

Lots of timber, rough as a corncob and very low numbers of game. 3 of us spent 10 days in that area several years ago, NO thanks, no desire to ever return.

10x glass is too strong for that area, and with the amount of timber, drop charts are also not needed, Hell, more than likely even the rifle won't be needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

Actually, I live in a village--unincorporated, no gym.
[Linked Image]
Well, close, anyway. My place is just out of the photo to the right. smile

Last edited by mudhen; 03/26/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SLM

vil·lage
ˈvilij/
noun
noun: village; plural noun: villages

A group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Me.

one thing about rost, he's consistent.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I can only speak for myself, but I never begrudge anyone I meet up in the mountains, whether I'm hunting or not. I figure they have just as much right to be there as I do.

So go early and enjoy yourself. Get out and hike the hills, see what's what, get acclimated, and maybe take a fishing rod along for those mountain creeks and lakes. It's supposed to be fun. If you meet up with someone who thinks otherwise, that's not your problem.

Yes everyone on public land is allowed to be there and has the same rights regardless if they are a hunter, fisherman, camper or a hiker.

I respect them all and give them all plenty room if at all possible and never purposely intrude on anyone's space. This will make everyone's trip more enjoyable

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I live outside the village in a town. I think my max would have to be 300 yd. I have shot 500 yards though at a target.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But if they hunt elk enough, a few eventually discover elk can be killed with smaller cartridges:-)

And lighter guns too.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only elk hunt I ever went on I took a .30-06 and a 7 RM for backup. I hunted the whole time with the .30-06, mainly because the rifle was lighter (Tikka T3 lite). I was running 180 Core-Lokts in the '06. I saw bucks before daylight, and in a field by the road, but no elk. I did watch a black bear on a mountainside. It was an interesting experience.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen

Actually, I live in a village--unincorporated, no gym.
[Linked Image]
Well, close, anyway. My place is just out of the photo to the right. smile

Mudhen, that is beautiful!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I actually have a rifle in mind that is much lighter then the Winny. It currently is in the works; Bell&Carlson sporter stock in 270 caliber topped with a Nikon 3-9 x 40 15 Moa base 22'' barrel 140 Accubond peppered nicely with IMR 4350 56 grains. Not the lightest but adequate. Shoots and carries well.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A thread about an imaginary rifle.

After 8 pages a different rifle is imagined, complete with load data.

You might want to imagine a little less powder in your imaginary 270, several actual rifles here top out around 53-54gr IMR 4350 with the 140gr accubond.

You wouldn't want to have to wear an imaginary eye patch.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have several non imaginary rifles. Thanks for reading the post. Truly 55 gr. is my load but who asked you. The last rifle is a work in progress.

Oscar Wilde~~
J
J
My daughter honored the hell out of a bull last fall with a Rem. Sportsman76, birch stock, williams peep, 180 grain 30-06 coreloks. I suppose that was overkill, as we were in Colorado, where we could have let the tent flap open and the bulls would walked in. By the way what color crayon do you mark your freezer paper with? Rounded point or pointed soft points?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If you can't behave on the thread maybe you shouldn't post your own childish comments, that was all anyone said. Grow up! Testy aren't we?

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be a 300 win mag Winchester Super Grade with a Nikon 4.5x14-44. I believe the rifle has a type of epoxy as a bedding which helps float the barrel. I've reloaded two different bullets with the same fps which is 2'900 to 2'950 give or take a couple fps. One bullet is Barnes 180 TSX all copper which gave me moa @ 100yd. The other is a Swift A Frame 180 with nearly the same results. My zero is @ 200yd. I like to use the military type slings.

10x42 Binocs. for glassing.

I will have a nice range finder as well in order to judge my distance which I am terrible at. Working on that one:)

Bullet trajectory chart

Feel free to add anything.

As has been pointed out, you are about a whole 200 +\- fps below your cartridges capability not that will keep you from killing a bull; it won't but if you are going to stay "there" why not go to a lighter build '06 that will probably get you to 2800 or slightly more safely? There will be minimal change in trajectory from what you are currently using with maybe a pound less weight to carry. Believe me that does make a difference over a weeks time.

OTOH, another 200 fps does make some energy and trajectory difference.

Either way, do good research, have good boots, and be in good shape above all and do a lot of shooting to as far as you can go from different positions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To hell with all this rifle bs

Have you acquired a license yet?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
George_De_Vries_3rd

Thank you for the thoughts. Speaking of a good hunting boot could anyone recommend a good boot around the $200.00 range I have a light weight winter boot from Sorel but a old pair of Danner Pronghorns. As for ankle support I wear a Keen PCT hiking boot.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
License.....before boots

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for the thoughts. Speaking of a good hunting boot could anyone recommend a good boot around the $200.00 range. I have a light weight winter boot from Sorel and an old pair of Danner Pronghorns. As for ankle support, I wear a Keen PCT hiking boot.

( I had to make a few corrections to my last post people, sorry for the nonsensical grammar and punctuation errors) I waited too long to correct the post before proof reading it. So, I've rewritten it here.

I believe I have until the beginning of July this year for the license and tag?

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 05/22/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What state?

If Pronghorns have worked for you, get a new pair and start breaking them in. They are an appropriate boot except for cold weather.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Albeit the Pronghorn's are broken in nicely! Maybe a good brushing and some oil?

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 05/23/16.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Then maybe you do need to get a license and you will be nearly ready.

Better check the application dates. Or the OTC sale dates to be sure you actually get a license. July 1 is not a date for CO. Look at brochure at http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Jerry

Alright, now I have to step in. You are not fu cking using your displacement. This is what Jerry has been trying to nicely tell you. My go to load for my 300 win mag has always been a 200gr. Nosler partition running 2900 fps. You've yet to step on the gas pedal with your big displacement cartridge. Your running the sombeetch like a souped up 30-06. There are new powders that can push the 30-06 with 180's to 2900 fps (which is where you are at with your big 300). However, Like Brad said "2950" will work just fine. It also sounds like your 300 has a 26" barrel, so you are way under-loading it. With this being said, there are better options out there in a light weight 30-06. If you are going to run it like a 30-06, you might as well be packing one... Hint..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boomwack
I'll toss my hat in this one...

Flock of rugers chambered from .257 bob to .338 win with the odd ball rem 700 LS 25-06 and an ol' 1895 Marlin 45-70 lever gun... most often used 280, 7mm rem mag anymore.

Nosler partitions done most the work. A few hot cores, horn IL's, and now ballistic tips join proven elk bullets in my rifles. I zero bolt guns for 200 yards, just in case of a long poke grin

A Leupould on everything save the marlin, open sights, and the odd ball 700 which wears a Nikon 3x9-40 pro-staff IF i remember right.

Vortec 8x42 binocs for long range viewing.

Only kilt one elk past 300 yards.... A real stretch at 305 yards the range finder lazered. Was packing the 338 win stoked with 250 gr horn spire points @2700fps that day.

Most elk killed under 150 yards. Mostly due to hunting style ambush, spot and stock, walk down a heard. Closest kill was 33 feet, ambush style cool

Elk are not hard to kill. Hit them right, they are done. There bones are heavier and muscles thicker than deer, plan accordingly.

I am not above shattering hips if need be. Also made head shots on different occasions. Rifle and zero familiarity pays off big. My 280 is just another appendage like my right hand.

Good post. I also like the "ambush" approach/method... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Backroads
A thread about an imaginary rifle.

After 8 pages a different rifle is imagined, complete with load data.

You might want to imagine a little less powder in your imaginary 270, several actual rifles here top out around 53-54gr IMR 4350 with the 140gr accubond.

You wouldn't want to have to wear an imaginary eye patch.

Now that is funny. Pretty true, but funny nonetheless...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking this is eleven pages of work from a bored troll

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It will kill the son of a gun easily enough without getting too crazy about FPS no matter which of the calibers discussed in this thread. I am sure 2900 fps will get the job done. We must be trolls if we don't use the forum constantly? Go figure. I am busy and it is nice to post every now and then on elk hunting, I am sorry you don't understand this (tedhorn) You can simply not read this topic. Must be dealing with some bored people myself or the Campfire police. LOL!

Anyway, the topic is still open. All are welcome. Lastly, I never said this was happening today, I apologize again for striking a conversation. Like to get my ducks-in-a-row I guess. I will post a bulletin when I officially purchase a license, maybe you can be there at the counter to give me your two cents when I do.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think I do need a license before I can hunt. I need some other things too. Time is ticking this year. At this point, I think they will see me coming out there waiting to critique this kid from New York (he he).

Didn't mean to say anything to offend so many so quick. I apologize to all that were offended.

Oscar Wilde~~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A 300 with any decent 180 at 2950-3000 or 200 at 2850-2900 will put any elk in a heap.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mid-'80s vintage tang safety Ruger M77 .30-06 wearing a Leupold 2x7 Compact flinging 150 Hornady GMXs over 3000 fps.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ha. Late 70s - mid-80s Ruger tang safety take your pick .270 Win & Partitions (used to), 7 mm Rem Mag & Partitions (favorite), .338 Win Mag & A-Frames (among grizzlies). All have killed elk just fine. Once used only 4X, now they wear Leupold small variables with same size profiles as old 4X. (Yes abbreviated data.)

Lots of calibers kill elk.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ha. Late 70s - mid-80s Ruger tang safety take your pick .270 Win & Partitions (used to), 7 mm Rem Mag & Partitions (favorite), .338 Win Mag & A-Frames (among grizzlies). All have killed elk just fine. Once used only 4X, now they wear Leupold small variables with same size profiles as old 4X. (Yes abbreviated data.)

Lots of calibers kill elk.
+1 good to know.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
A 300 with any decent 180 at 2950-3000 or 200 at 2850-2900 will put any elk in a heap.

Beautiful!

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.