Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a ratcheting EZ Tool. Nice to service the breech plug without removing the action from the stock.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/thread/7/pocampo-ez-tool

BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thomas hasnt been making the EZ-tool for years. Ive got one too and they do work fantastic. Ive got a couple old Rick Bibby (may he RIP) plugs and a PA Machine old style plug. I keep them mostly for sentimental reasons.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I see "bushings" for sale on the upgrade sites. I am familiar with the breech plug and the "vent liner", but what is the "bushing", where does it go and what is it for??

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The bushing plug looks like this. The bushing and ring take the place of the vent liner. You leave the bushing in until it wears out. No muss no fuss for hundreds of shots. Just keep the channel directly under the primer cleaned out with a 5/32" drill bit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The bushing they refer to is in effect the vent liner. Standard vent liners are steel screws with a small (.03") hole drilled through them. They erode over time depending on the powder type and charge being used. The bushings are made of tungsten carbide and are held in place by a set screw (lock ring) with a larger hole through it. The bushing material resists erosion much better and lasts longer than the steel vent liners.

BTW, the wrench is in the mail

*Whoops, Overkill beat me to it.

Last edited by tmitch; 03/24/16.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Can i use my original breech plug with the bushing/set screw?? No "modifications" needed??

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Savage Arms will sell you the breech plug tool, I just bought one last year.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Can i use my original breech plug with the bushing/set screw?? No "modifications" needed??

No.

*Not that I know of, but I don't know everything.

Last edited by tmitch; 03/24/16.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The bushing is larger than a vent liner. They are .250" and either .300" or .250" long depending who is selling them. You could have your plug modified for a bushing but by the time you are done you would have spent as much or close. Just the bushing is $30 or more.

A new vent liner hex plug is cheap. Around $30 for a factory Savage plug. About $40 for a SS plug from Hankins and around $60 for a SS from Precision Rifle. The PR plugs seal the primer differently and would more than likely require a headspace adjustment.

If you go with the vent liner plug, i prefer the Lehigh vent liners. They last a little longer and the allen recess is a little deeper.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two ML11's. They have both killed many, many deer. I can tell you anything you want to know. PM me with your number. I would be happy to answer any questions. Don't ruin an ML by using anything but smokeless powder.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmc0304
Don't ruin an ML by using anything but smokeless powder.

PLUS ONE on that.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I got to agree, if you want to shoot a sub in your Savage use blackhorn.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta' LAUGH at the dialogues here.

Get's a little tough without that round brass thing, the one that looks like a CARTRIDGE that was designed to hold SMOKELESS powders.

Heavy leathers, Kevlar shrapnel blankets, and bullet proof eye protection be yours.

I gotta' agree with Sharpsman,...and swear that henceforth I'll be posting ANYTHING that has to do with REAL MLs over on the BPCR forum.

On closing, I have some unobtanium that's now safe to send through the mail, and will mill / turn up some bushings, bearings, widgets required for a mere $120.
Your Savages WILL be more accurate, once you've fitted them.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't ruin an ML by using anything but smokeless powder.

You do standup gigs on Comedy Central too?

Me and the spirits of Dan'l Boone and George Washington are scratchin' our noggins.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drivel,...all of this,...

Hermaphrodite,unsafe,pathetically limited in any sense of REAL ML accuracy,... over pressured pieces of marketeers wet dreams, these so called "Muzzle loaders"....saturated with the jism of clowns that actually take them seriously, and probably think they'll be anything but a comedic footnote in firearms lore, and history.

Heluva "definition" that,...it just ROLLED right offa' my head.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I gotta' agree with Sharpsman,...and swear that henceforth I'll be posting ANYTHING that has to do with REAL MLs over on the BPCR forum.

Bye and have fun washing your smoke pole in a bucket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a bucket? crazy

One wet patch ( plain water) two dry patches. Reload. Repeat.

At the end of the day, a little solvent, repeat again. Apply preservative, like Ballistol. Of course, I use real black powder, not some substitute... smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Questin about bushing breach plug conversion. If i change to a bushing breach plug, do i have to adjust the headspace???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Overkill45

Bye and have fun washing your smoke pole in a bucket.

Be advised Mouthy One, you are now CHALLENGED to a 1,000 Yard ML match,...traditional BP ML RIFLES against your star wars jokes, masquerading as WTF they're supposed to be, something out of the bar scene.

Let's do this,...somewhere, somewhen,...this Campfire is JUST the place for alla' us to run our mouths, throw down challenges, and actually get together.

Got no "Bye" in me,...all I got is bring your version of an ML, and we'll bring ours.

Oh,...and bring CASH $$$

'til than, you can go soak your HEAD in a bucket Mate.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got just the ticket.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
361 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 40 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.