Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I agree wesheltonj. I don't care who is paying whomever, whatever. I'll be drinking Tafel's at Africa Sky by the time the do it yourselfer gets out of the SAPS office.

And I will toast with you

Africa Sky will get my business when I return to Africa

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I' m using Afton House this May, it's my second hunt, but first with my rifles

Charlie

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used Air-2000 three times and will again. After that 15 hour flight the last thing I want is hassle and long lines.
I have been through customs and baggage in less than 30 minutes each time, far less than 30 minutes actually.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by chas05

Charlie

I've just booked with Afton House for this Sep. Let me know how it turns out.

Do you how much they are going to charge for a "pre-approved firearms" service? I queried them and they sent me all the information except the price!

From what I understand the Afton House is a nice place to stay and offers free transportation to where ever you want to got to eat, if you get tired of their restaurant.

What are you game are you after on this trip?

BH63

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Being a white guy running around J.Burg after dark wouldn't exactly be my idea of fun, but hey, what do I know?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Being a white guy running around J.Burg after dark wouldn't exactly be my idea of fun, but hey, what do I know?

Just check out the latest Dept of State travel advisories for South Africa. Not a very friendly place for out-of-towners.

BH63

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by postoak
There are a number of M&G services. I know the Afton House has one as well, as I am using it for my trip in May.

The question was, will the invitation letter from the Namibian outfitter satisfy the requirements of the RSA authorities or does the letter have to come from someone in RSA?

I'm not sure what you mean by "satisfy the requirements of the RSA authorities"? If your final destination is Namibia, have the Namibia invitation letter handy just in case someone asks. You won't need one from RSA just for transiting through J'Burg. I don't remember if I needed the Namibian invitation letter or not for the SAPS permit but I can check later and let you know.

I've used the meet/greet and pre-approved SAPS service every time I've gone, and once my rifle showed up in the SAPS office I've never spent more than 5 minutes actually clearing the rifle.

This is correct.

I just went back and checked my correspondence with the M&G company. Yes, I had to supply the invitation letter from my Namibian outfitter over to the M&G to include with the SAPS520 for pre-approval. No other invitation letter is necessary.

I don't know if it has been explained for the first-timers, but the M&G used to just consist of getting a copy of the SAPS520 and filling it out in advance and then having the M&G personnel walk you thru SAPS.

Now, you can send your completed SAPS520 and other documentation over in advance of your trip and the M&G company turns it in for pre-approval. I highly recommend you do this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I strongly suggest all my hunters use Air2000

The owner Anne was the first business to offer this and they have nailed this process with flawless perfection.

My hunters importing guns traveling in coach are getting in my truck before the first class passengers with one checked bag are still in the immigration line!

Why waste any time in lines when you will be treated like royalty or Hollywood elite for 100-150 bucks

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JJ, since you know Anne quite well, I wish you'd ask her a question if you don't mind?

Last year I talked to her at DSC, wishing to use her pre-approved SAPS service. I knew the drill since I'd done it before with someone else, but she "threw" me when she said I'd have to mail the completed and signed paperwork to her. I told her I would just scan and email and she said that was not acceptable. Do you know why by any chance?

I've done it 3 times now, and scan and email was perfectly acceptable with everyone else. Just curious, but this would add and extra $100 in shipping charges to her $150 fee.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Well, today I had Travels with Guns make all the arrangements for my flights. It looks like I will be forced to overnight in Joberg. Even as frugal as I am read that as cheap, I decided to bite the bullet and use Afica Sky's meet and greet and spend the night there. The long flight took a lot of starch out of me ten years ago, and a night of relative luxury will go a long ways to helping me overcome jet lag. I will post on the end result when I return. As plans can still be flexible, if anyone has any other suggestions or advice, I would appreciate it. Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BH63

Charlie

I've just booked with Afton House for this Sep. Let me know how it turns out.

Do you how much they are going to charge for a "pre-approved firearms" service? I queried them and they sent me all the information except the price!

From what I understand the Afton House is a nice place to stay and offers free transportation to where ever you want to got to eat, if you get tired of their restaurant.

What are you game are you after on this trip?

BH63

I will.
This trip I'm after a truly trophy kudo (@ least to my mind), blue wildebeast, springbok, addaanimal or two, and jackals. The excellent company of the chief Minister of Sex and Finance and our hosts are a given. I'm like a high schooler a month before summer vacation... cool

Last edited by chas05; 03/22/16. Reason: $100

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Porsche73, TWG and Africa Sky is an A++ combination. You will enjoy it, guaranteed. When is your trip, and where are you going?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting timing.

I just received my invitation letter from my Namibian outfitter (actually, I think they had already sent it but new office staff didn't know that), and it is addressed to the South African government, not the Namibian government. I don't know if the Namibian government actually requires an invitation letter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My invitation letters are addressed "To Whom it May Concert", for what that's worth. Who are you hunting with postoak?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

I'm like a high schooler a month before summer vacation... cool

I bet. My trip is still 6 months away and I am already starting to get excited.

A kudu bull is one of the best looking plains game trophies IMO. A PH I hunted with years ago, had a rug made from a Blue Wildebeest and it looked pretty fantastic.

Have a great trip, can't wait to hear how it turns out.

BH63

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just received an e-mail from Afton House and they quoted a price of $100.00 USD per firearm if you want pre-approval at the Jo'burg airport.

Seems to be a reasonable price to me.

BH63

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the guys that have used Afton House and African Sky most agree they are both tip top shelf at what they do....with African Sky slightly better at the quality of lodging and meals.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I am scheduled to leave Austin on April13th, fly to Atlanta and from there to Joberg. African Sky will get me through SAPS and I will overnight with them. Then on to PE where my PH should pick me up for a glorious hunt in the Eastern Cape. Then back to PE to Joberg on the 23rd and then home to Austin, Texas. This will be my last African Safari and I have hopes and expectations. Wish me good luck and good hunting.Porsche73

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Porsche73
I am scheduled to leave Austin on April13th, fly to Atlanta and from there to Joberg. African Sky will get me through SAPS and I will overnight with them. Then on to PE where my PH should pick me up for a glorious hunt in the Eastern Cape. Then back to PE to Joberg on the 23rd and then home to Austin, Texas. This will be my last African Safari and I have hopes and expectations. Wish me good luck and good hunting.Porsche73

Wishing you a safe journey and a successful hunt. I wish I was leaving from either SAT or AUS, instead of driving to IAH for my August trip. First night for myself will be with African Sky too.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
This is my third African Safari and people ask me how I can do this on an educators salary. The simple answer is I can't, there is no way this could/would happen given the level of public education salaries. The only way I have been able to realize my boyhood dreams is that for 10 years I worked a second job and most of that money went to my Africa account. This will be my last one as both financially and physically I cannot do more. I have achieved most of my life goals and have very few regrets. But I have hunted Africa. Jerry Hoover

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.