Print Thread
Hop To
#10764895 12/09/15
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
What are your opinions on the new Bergara B14? I bought a B14 Sporter http://www.bergararifles.com/en/rifles/detalle-rifle.php?rifle=B14+SPORTER in 308win on a Black friday sale. I could only find 2 reviews; one in a norwegian magazine and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJwAQKVrPf8 (start 14.20) I had only heard about Bergara barrels, but after seeing those two reviews I wanted this rifle.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any further update on the Bergara that you bought?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Their barrels suck.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Bergara barrels for the T/C Contenders seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Various reviews on the internet sound pretty good for the Bergara B14 rifle. Sportsman's Warehouse has the synthetic stocked rifles at $699 and walnut stocked rifles at $799.

From what I could tell handling them, the quality looks quite good and if they shoot as well as they appear to be made, the price may even be a bargain.

One nice thing about them, I was told that they are built to take Rem 700 scope bases, and most other M-700 accessories as well, like after-market triggers, etc.

I was told their US base is in Alabama, with a service center.

I know Spain has made some good shotguns. Perhaps they are making some good rifles. Does anyone have any experience with these Bergara rifles to share with us?

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One member here said they will drop in a 700 stock as well, so lots of nice upgrade options.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nifty, they only make barrels for Encores. I called a couple of years ago and asked about Contender barrels. The answer was maybe in the future. It still hasn't arrived.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
One member here said they will drop in a 700 stock as well, so lots of nice upgrade options.

If I may . . . had an opportunity to put my hands on a B-14. For grins and giggles, we took it and a Rem 700 out of the their respective stocks.

The Bergara is a tight fit in a 700 SPS stock. The recoil lug (a fixed lug) is ~.085" wider than a factory Rem 700 lug. Probably not an issue if you chose to install an aftermarket stock (McM, B&C, etc) as there is generally some play in that area and can be taken up with bedding.

Also, the web between the trigger inlet and magazine inlet would need some attention. The adjustment screws on the front of the trigger interfere and would not let the back of the action to drop into the stock. (Note: On some stocks - McM HTGs as an example there is no filler between the trigger area and magazine well.) Because the rear of the action did not sit down into the stock, we were not able to determine if there would be any interference to the side bolt release of the Bergara.

We did not compare the fit of the Remington bottom metal fit in the Bergara.

Good new? Bad news? Take it for what it's worth.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my post above I meant T/C Encores instead of Contender, that was a brain fart.

WiFowler,

So what did you think of the rifle? Would you own one? Value for the money?

I know they are chambering it in 6.5 Creedmore with a 1:8" barrel.

That sounds rather appealing.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty

WiFowler,

So what did you think of the rifle? Would you own one? Value for the money?

I know they are chambering it in 6.5 Creedmore with a 1:8" barrel.

That sounds rather appealing.

The short answer - Yes.

Had I not had a 6.5 Creedmoor in the works when the B-14 appeared at the LGS, I would have bought it. That said, I liked it well enough, I may still buy one. crazy I think that at a minimum the things that put it ahead of the M700 are: better trigger, side bolt release, and coned breach. Working around the minor differences (in the case of aftermarket stocks) should be child's play for any rifle loonie.

And while feedback on the actual function and accuracy of the B-14 is limited, what's out there seems very favorable. For the money, it is in my minds eye, a very good value.

Last edited by WiFowler; 01/15/16.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That is great to hear!

It agrees with what I was able to find on these rifles as well.

I have a B-14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor headed my way. I am expecting it in another week.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler,

Thank you for your input. Based on your info and what limited info I could find online I went ahead and put money down on a wood-stocked B14 in 6.5 Creedmore.

Now I have to wait ten days to get it in my hands.

The Obama administration's recent rantings, as well as the California legislature's latest proposals had convinced me it was time to buy another gun to do my part in raising the new gun sales figures to record heights.

Besides upgrading my wife's NRA status to Life Member, I thought I should do something for myself, too. (Grin).

I have recently gotten the itch for a 6.5 Creedmore and this rifle came along at the right time. Thanks guys.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WhelenAway & Nifty-250,

Do yourselves a favor and gather up a box or two of the Hornady 140gr AMax Match ammo in 6.5 Creed. This loading seems to be the 'Gold Standard' by which accuracy is compared in various 6.5 Creedmoors.

Do report back on your impressions once you have the Bergara's in-hand as well as accuracy findings.

FWIW, if you reload, H4350 is your huckleberry in the 6.5 Creed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info, thanks.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a good supply of factory ammo in 6.5 Creedmore in stock; four different loadings including the Hornady 140 gr AMax. I already picked up a box to fondle while I await the rifle.

I have H4350 in my powder cabinet. Now I have to gather bullets and dies. Oh, the work never ceases, (laugh).

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I picked up a B14 synthetic in 6.5 creedmore at my local Sportsman's warehouse today for 699.00. Waiting on DNZ mounts to arrive so I can go shoot it. Looks like a nice well put together gun.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
WiFowler

Thanks for the input. I will track down some 140 Amax as well.

I'll definitely report on the rifle, but I am not sure how soon I'll be shooting it . . . too dang cold eek

I'll be loading for it too, assuming I like it well enough to keep.

birdwacker

I have a synthetic B-14 coming too, but never handled one yet, so it's nice to hear the good report. Can you describe the soft-touch stock? Does it appear durable?

Last edited by WhelenAway; 01/18/16. Reason: ask about stock

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The stock is very solid and doesn't have the flex in the forearm like a RAR. The barrel is well centered in the channel and totally free floated to the front of the action. Only concern is a warning from mfg to keep cleaning solvents away from the stock as they can cause damage. Very pleased so far.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds great! Thanks for the description.

I suspect the solvent warning is found in quite a few owners manuals.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Finally got a break in the weather and broke in my B14 synthetic 6.5 creedmore. I shot the new Hornady 143gr precision hunter loads and 3 shot avg at 100yds was 1/2 in

Last edited by birdwacker; 03/19/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have my wood-stocked B14 ready to test. I did get some preliminary work done. I used DBC on the very smooth bore and got the curing shots done.

I had the rifle with me for show and tell at the Tonto Basin gathering and the consensus of the assembled "experts" was pretty positive.

Initial casual groups with factory ammo were well under an inch. Since then I switched scopes. Between lots of stormy weather and tax season I haven't gotten back to the range yet.

Redding dies and components are inbound.

So far, I am well pleased with the purchase of the B14.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.