Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Judman
Love brads, lot less screwing around, more fishin.

I've caught some kings on Brads, but they are far from my first choice. I've spent a good chunk of change on them too. I should probably run them more.

These are working rather well, with red labels and a 7/0. http://okitackle.com/bait-heads/juan-de-fuca/jelly-fish-silver-flake/ Takes a second to pin a herring in. They are a bit on the brittle side and you'll crack a few, but they catch. If you can drill a new hole down the center of the nose, and let the flasher work the herring with no spin, it'll fish better.

Last edited by Calvin; 03/20/16.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They really coon the coho too, stuff em with anchovie, herring fillet, or tuna belly behind a short bus flasher.

Cool boat btw.

Last edited by Judman; 03/21/16.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Anything coons the Coho when they're thick. We had a quad one day and i netted 2 fish at once. I put the 2 rods in the rod holders and had the coyote spoons dangling out of the water I went to the other side of the boat to net the other 2 fish when I heard the reels screaming that weren't fishing. As the boat rolled the spoons barely touched the waters surface but that was enough for 2 silvers to jump out and grab the spoons that were clear out of the water. I never go to the trouble and mess of using bait for silvers. Any spoons work but I usually use a coyote, kingfisher or coho killer with no flasher. The flasher goes on the ball for coho so the fight is more fun.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's a beautiful old troller Calvin! The kind of boat that'll pay for itself quickly and not have you feeling guilty taking a day or 2 off from fishing. Having to fish hard to make the payments takes some of the fun out of it. Fishing hard to bank or invest for a rainy day is more fun.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Calvin---How heavy are your deeps? I fish with my bud that is using 50lbers for his deeps at roughly 60 fathoms.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hope to get the boat out of storage this week,weather just doesn't want to quite break hopefully splashdown next week.
Bought a new wash down pump today.
Browns will be hungry and Kings not to far behind

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When do Kings run for youse guys George? May? Nice boat, what kinda power does she have?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Anything coons the Coho when they're thick. We had a quad one day and i netted 2 fish at once. I put the 2 rods in the rod holders and had the coyote spoons dangling out of the water I went to the other side of the boat to net the other 2 fish when I heard the reels screaming that weren't fishing. As the boat rolled the spoons barely touched the waters surface but that was enough for 2 silvers to jump out and grab the spoons that were clear out of the water. I never go to the trouble and mess of using bait for silvers. Any spoons work but I usually use a coyote, kingfisher or coho killer with no flasher. The flasher goes on the ball for coho so the fight is more fun.

ya, specially brads, never used spoons in the salt, few spinners with hoochies...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Calvin---How heavy are your deeps? I fish with my bud that is using 50lbers for his deeps at roughly 60 fathoms.

60's and 70lb for deeps. 50s on the floats.

Yeah, no payments is the way to go. Paying off the house is what I'll do first with it. I'm rather handy at fishing, so hopefully it'll happen sooner than later.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

[Linked Image]

Penn Yanns are like bobbers in any kind of weather. Definitely one of the most popular trolling/charter rigs on Ontario. I always wanted a Grady White

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dvdgeorge, these guys have no clue about planer boards

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We always used planers when I power trolled SE in the late '70s, '80s... got pretty good at running them...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are just a tool. My buddy gave me flack until I pulled the earliest and biggest king to ever get caught off the dock. He gained a little respect for spoons. Planer boards seem to be a dying thing though.

I remember running 14 sport fish rods off the back of a 19' boat with 3 downriggers and planer boards. You just don't see that up here

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I've done the whole great lakes thing with 9 rods sticking out of a 16' boat. Easily the most inefficient way to fish on the planet. Not to mention our 1 rod rule kinda prevents that.

2 rods will outfish 4 rods with downriggers just about every single time. Trolling is about efficiency. Too much gear keeps gear out of the water.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Having a double hookup on a shallow rigger and a deep six, and having the rigger rod saw off the deep six rod before you can even think, cures a guy of running more than two rods when things aren't scratchy...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Will be needing a new trailer this year as my EZ loader is 25 yrs olds. Boat is a 22 ft glass cabin cruiser. Local dealer is trying to say a bunk trailer will work fine (on rollers now). I'm very skeptical. He carries King trailers which I think are pretty junky. Anyone run a bunk trailer for this size/wt of boat?

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Bunk is the only way I roll. Just ordered a bunk trailer from Ohio. I have a 22' dual King Trailer under my 23' Pacific. King has done me well with both my Pacifics.

BTW, trailers are expensive. Seattle Craigslist had some EZ Loaders for 5k that will fit your boat. 2014s I think.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When do Kings run for youse guys George? May? Nice boat, what kinda power does she have?
270 crusader inboard tunnel drive. The Kings run in Sept but I'll start catching them April and chase them in the thermocline throughout the summer and then in front of tributaries as they stage in Sept.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've done the whole great lakes thing with 9 rods sticking out of a 16' boat. Easily the most inefficient way to fish on the planet. Not to mention our 1 rod rule kinda prevents that.

2 rods will outfish 4 rods with downriggers just about every single time. Trolling is about efficiency. Too much gear keeps gear out of the water.
depends on conditions and water temps,clarity and depths fished. In summer I'll fish 4 riggers at staggered depths,2 wire dipsy rods and 2 copper rods. Spring I'll run 2 riggers and 4 rods off the planner boards 2 per side run back 100-150 ft

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Otter boats with twin keels are the way to roll for planner boards,they pull like a mule and track well even with heavy copper off of them

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.