-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got the anhydrous lanolin from Taoherb. I get the benzine (ligroine or petroleum ether) from my local university chemical supply store. A 4 liter bottle should be about $35.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jackfish, Doesn't Benzine leave a bit of an oder? Or is it just me getting Bezine and Benzin (the german word for gasoline) confused................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzine

It is a solvent. That is why it is used to make a solution of anhydrous lanolin. But it evaporates leaving little solvent residue. A treated garment smells like wool.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzine

It is a solvent. That is why it is used to make a solution of anhydrous lanolin. But it evaporates leaving little solvent residue. A treated garment smells like wool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your link explained it. Bezene is the "gasoline" equivelant aromatic hydrocarbon not Benzine.
Thanks for the idea I plan to try it out................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Can anyone else give reviews for the following?

Bemidji North Shore DOuble Front/Back
LL Bean Cruiser
Weatherby Wool Parka
Cabela's Woodsman Jacket

I'd like to know how these stack up to the benchmark for wool jackets which is probably the Filson Double Mac.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried on the Bemidji North Shore Double Back/Front jacket when I bought my Bemidji Voyageurs Jac Coat. The former is not a double in the sleeves like the Filson Double Mackinaw. I was impressed by the latter's 30 oz. 100% virgin wool fabric.

I looked at the Cabelas Woodsman Coat and thought it was pretty good for what is now $130 on sale. The fabric is a little heavier than the Filson but it doesn't seem to be as tightly woven.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I tried on the Bemidji North Shore Double Back/Front jacket when I bought my Bemidji Voyageurs Jac Coat. The former is not a double in the sleeves like the Filson Double Mackinaw. I was impressed by the latter's 30 oz. 100% virgin wool fabric.

I looked at the Cabelas Woodsman Coat and thought it was pretty good for what is now $130 on sale. The fabric is a little heavier than the Filson but it doesn't seem to be as tightly woven.

Jackfish, the Bemidji North Shore doesn't have the double sleeves, but isn't it basically made out of the same thickness material as the Voyageur's coat except double clothe both front and back? I thought both jackets used 30oz material except that the blaze orange is 100% wool and the colored stuff is 85%. I could be wrong though.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Jackfish, the Bemidji North Shore doesn't have the double sleeves, but isn't it basically made out of the same thickness material as the Voyageur's coat except double clothe both front and back? I thought both jackets used 30oz material except that the blaze orange is 100% wool and the colored stuff is 85%. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Oh, and is the Voyageur fabric as thick and dense as one of the two layers in the Filson double mac you have.

Last edited by elelbean; 01/01/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the North Shore I looked at had 28 oz. 85% wool 15% nylon. I've been told since then that the fabric for that jacket is 28 to 30 oz. The Voyageurs I have is 30 oz. 100% virgin wool. The single layer of 30 oz wool in the Voyageurs does not compare to the double layer of 24 oz. wool in the Filson Double Mackinaw. However, both the North Shore and the Voyageurs are great garments. Just depends on what you are going to use it for. I use the Voyageurs for different conditions than I use my Filson Double Mackinaw. I also have a Woolrich 6390, which is like a double mackinaw (double cape and sleeves), I purchased from Sierra Trading Post a couple of years ago for $100.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you hang your woolens outside for a day or two in the weather I find that it is almost as good as a dry cleaning. A day in the rain followed by a day in the sun and the wool is good to go. I use the Filson stuff. Its great gear but I do find the Double Mackinaw a bit to much most days

regards
Dan

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, Akhutr, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.