Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I wasn't sure where to put this post, but this seemed the best. About a year ago I sold my one and only Ruger No.1. It's time to replace it. I have a few itches I'd like to scratch if possible and wanted some advice.

First, I want another No.1

Second, one of the area I hunt Yotes we have a .25 caliber max. I have no idea why they wrote the regs that way but they did.

Third, some of the guys want to start a little competition. 150 yard egg shoot ???? I guess someone has something against eggs.

That being said I sure would like to build a No.1 chambered in 6 PPC.

When you guys stop laughing please let me know your thoughts.

Do I need an action with the correct bolt face? Do No.1's work that way or will any action work.

Thanks Camo

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a handful of 6mm PPC's (and also .22 PPC's) made in the #1. I have not seen one in a long time, but ElNumeroUno has a .22 PPC for sale on his site, if you want to PM him.

The breech face is flat on the #1 - you may or may not need to fiddle with the extractor to get it to work.

Ruger's now building a K1V (stainless bull barrel) in the .223, and I'd wager it should shoot quite well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I found a 22 PPC but its out of mt budget right now. $1700.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this one is $1500

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/014.jpg

There's also be a recent run of Swifts, and those will have plain wood and 1 in 14" twists, but yotes will hate them smile

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
That's a nice looking gun, but the link is just a photo when I click on it. No other info that I could access. Is it yours?

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
As far as I remember, the No.1's vary with forearm type, barrel, and ejector. The rest is common.

The ejector/extractor is a 10 dollar part that the layman can purchase from Ruger or Brownell's. It is not currently a restricted part.....factory install only.

The real beauty of the no.1 is that it can house most any caliber, from rimfires thru the boomers.

We have a lot of good barrel blank makers here in the states, just pick one and go ahead. A Shilen chrome moly is around 170 and a match Shilen stainless is around 210. Select match blanks are about 40 more than the match.

No.1's are more expensive to work with, the ejector slot and the scope mounted to the barrel proper(via quarter rib) takes time at the machines. Moreso than the typical bolt gun.

The PPC is the darling of the benchrest circuit, has the reputation for accuracy. The head is around 440 so kinda in between the 222 type(374) and the standard(06) of 473. I am not sure if a standard will pull the ppc or not, it does happen with certain bolt guns due to the extractor movement/design; but as stated the Ruger factory made ppc's, so one might think there for a drop in extractor. If not, the ejector/ejector can be touched during chambering if needbe.

The no.1 breechblock does not any caliber reference, it is flat on its face relatively speaking, and has a nominal 0.070" diameter firing pin.

In the 25 calibers, I like the 257 weatherby and the 25-06; but these are boomers and pretty flat shooting. Caliber I reckon is always based upon environment/application. The 6mmBR might be given some consideration.

If one can purchase a donor no.1, lots of folks around to rebarrel to whatever you want with a known barrel blank of your choice. Quite a bit of markup in some of the factory no.1 variations right now, any of them can be duplicated with a flick of the wrist by a good smith.

In the egg deal, you will be a bit at a basic disadvantage with the no.1 shooting against tuned bolt guns, just a fact of life right now. However that never stopped us from competing with whatever huh? Fun takes many forms.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by camotruck
That's a nice looking gun, but the link is just a photo when I click on it. No other info that I could access. Is it yours?

no, not mine, go here & scroll down

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/rugers-for-sale/

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks tex I was just looking there and happened to recognize the photo.

Anyone out there have a "Donor" Model 1 out there They'd like to sell?

Kills me to hear about being at a disadvantage. I have two of Kevin Cram built long range guns. Unreal how well they shoot, both 6.5 hunting rigs.

Last edited by camotruck; 03/21/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"In the egg deal, you will be a bit at a basic disadvantage with the no.1 shooting against tuned bolt guns, just a fact of life right now. However that never stopped us from competing with whatever huh? Fun takes many forms."

Maybe it's the luck of the draw but but now that Ruger only makes limited runs for Lipsey's, guess it's try to find a winner. Probably my best shooter is a #1V in .223 Rem. That truck axle it has for a barrel is quite heavy and short enough (22") to be quite stiff. If I run a 10 shot string that's larger than .25", it's my fault.
I have a couple of #1B's, one in 6MM Rem. and .the other a 257 Robt. that are also exceptionally accurate, most shots running under an inch or less.
I have two #1B's in 25-06, one that looks rode hard and put away wet that I bought for a donor, outshoots right along tie the 6MM and .257 Bob. The other is pristine, has gorgeous wood and has the delusion it's a shotgun. Based on the SN#'s they all have Wilson barrels. I would think a #1B in .243 might also be a good shooter, again a fairly thick barrel for caliber. I haven't found one yet.
My point being, if you can find a#1V or B in a .243, 6MM or something .257, it might give you a fair chance of it's being a good shooter. I know that from the bench, the ones I mentioned would all stay within the confines of an egg if I did my part.
You could always rebarrel later if you thought you needed to.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very early rifles, below 130-06000 s/n will have Douglas barrels, usually very good. Black pad rifles made after the early 1990's will have Ruger-made hammer forged barrels, and will usually also be very good.

It's interesting, when they have good barrels, they suddenly aren't very fussy smile

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

It's interesting, when they have good barrels, they suddenly aren't very fussy smile

You have just hit the Ruger No. 1 problem on the head.

But I think I misunderstood this thread. I thought the OP intended to BUILD or have a Ruger no. 1 built since the tread is titled No. 1 build advice. I finally broke down and did that after buying and selling about 20 of them over a 30 year period looking for one that had good wood and would shoot. Failing both of those, I just had it built and mine looks good and shoots MOA.

If the OP is going to have one built, I can give advice. If he is going to buy one, I'll take his name and pray for him.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for something under .25 caliber, that should shoot well, and look nice:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=552221356

Not my rifle, just posting for info. It should be a Douglas

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Bob I was pondering the Idea of building one, and was hoping to find a doner to start with. If I can't I might just have a BBL chambered for a 6BR and have it threaded for one of my M700 actions that is already trued.

Mike

As far as ehe "Egg shoot" I think I'm gonna use my Encore and a 22 Hornet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,038 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.