Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
smile

Undoubtedly, he hasn't forgotten the huge shot in the arm Quigley Down Under gave them. Remember the five year wait?

Harvard Business School, pay heed.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2. Applied just enough crimp to hold the bullet in place

Man that brass just COSTS to much to be crimping it conventionally with each reloading cycle !
If the bullets you're loading, bases wiped clean of any trace of bullet lube are rattling around in fireformed case mouths, you either need larger dia slugs, or a stiffer gummier bullet lube.

You ARE aware that BPCR ammo requires "nose up" storage and transport, particularly in warmer weather ?

If you feel you just HAVE to crimp, get aholt of a Lyman long taper die.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

A bit late in the game here, but I find it humorous that Kirk at Shiloh will encourage owning and shooting howitzers like that 45-120, but when it comes to BPCR, he mostly shoots a 40-65.

It seems as though some rifles is meant for shooting, while others is meant for selling...

Yup, Garbe knew that too, and the .38 calibers carved some serious inroads in capable hands here for a while. The odd "turned pig" or "rung Ram" seemed worthwhile, in view of being to get up off your final relay with your wits intact.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/23/16.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39
smile Remember the five year wait?

I got my first one in less than 5 years . . . 4 yrs, 10 mo and 20 days wink . Worth every day of wait time.

Now to the topic at the top of the thread - Only advice I will give (most other advice so far is spot on) is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE !!! Order 50 pounds of BP of your choice and while waiting for it to arrive, cast as many bullets of your choice to last you a long time. Then, load whatever empties you have, shoot them, repeat over and over again. The first 3 months I had my first BPCR, I went through 15 pounds of powder, 1500 primers and about 100 pounds of lead. Not that I'm a really good shooter, but boy, did I have fun - that was almost 19 years ago.

HAVE FUN !!!

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just gave this another quick scan...

Loads were as before with 105 gr GOEX, 545 gr boolits, Loads were as before with 105 gr GOEX, 545 gr boolits, and CCI mag primers with a 0.060" veggie wad with a 0.060" veggie wad

You do NOT need a Mag Primer,... Would recommend a standard large rifle MATCH instead.At this point you probably won't see any improvement,. but BP likes a SOFT, and relatively COOL primer.

In the interim, and again looking again at cartridge case value / cost, those Mag primers just EAT flash holes,....all of which at this time should be of VERY uniform wire guage drill size (smaller the better, don't drill out all your cases for the sake of a few oversized,...mark THOSE, and use em' for foulers.

IC B2

M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I made it out to the range again and applied some of the inputs received here.

Namely:

1. I used a Lyman long crimp die to hold the 545gr boolit in place
2. I ran a 410 bore mop down the tube after each shot
3. I uniformed each piece of brass....length was pretty close on all, but a light touch with the RCBS case trimmer got everything exactly the same

I shot 11 with 110 gr, which did the best and had my brother's shoot some with the 105, which did not fare as well.

This was my target with 11 rounds of the 110 gr load.....didn't keep the other targets

[Linked Image]

First shot was the one on the left in the black. The remaining 10 shots are in the white.

This is an improvement over the previous two sessions so I am encouraged.

Thanks again for your collective advice. I'm looking forward to the next round of experimentation.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks like you're getting the hang of it! Good shooting!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smiling here,...BROADLY.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
So how did it go from shooting so well to having a ring in the chamber?

Originally Posted by gunner500
I liked my 45-120, it was a shootin sombitch, too bad some sack washing sacrilege homeo was shooting light loads of smokeless in it and rung the chamber! mad

IC B3

M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well it's been a while since I've been out with the rifle but I did manage one session with reasonable results.

I thought I would provide a quick update for any who were interrested.

Again at 100 yards, 110 gr of GOEX, and the same 545 gr BACO boolits. The major difference was I used a sight in target.....which I think was a mistake as it was tougher for me to focus in on.

I only managed two three shot groups, but here they are.

[Linked Image]

Question I have for you Gentleman is what kind of 100 yard groups can one expect from an open sight BPCR rifle such as this?

I have to confess I am use to trying for that magical 5 shot 0.300" (or less) group from my metallic cartridge rifles.

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

the vertical in your groups indicate either the fouling control isn't working , or you're not positioning the rifle properly in the rest, or not giving a consistent grip with the gun hand.
At 100 yes with decent sights and a proper load there's no reason to accept much less than a clover leaf.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Much obliged Ranch. Thanks for the pointers. I'll continue to experiment with fouling control and shooting technique.

M1919

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ranch is spot on. Fouling control and resting the rifle. I'm not a competitive BPCR shooter but I've owned and shot most of the big bore sharps calibers. One thing is certain....when you have the right load combination fouling is not an issue and long strings of shots can be fired without doing anything else but using a blow tube. Cleanup should be nothing more than a couple (2) wet patches, a couple dry ones, then a lightlyl oiled patch for storage. Done....Match grade accuracy can be achieved using black powder. The chronograph readings are amazing when everything comes together. The estimated velocity spreads are in the single digits. My favorite caliber is the 45-110 with a 30 to 32" barrel max. I've never achieved continuous match grade accuracy with a 34" barrel. The big bores all tended to foul out after a few shots with the 34 inch barrels. Those longer barrels need more lube bearing bullets. If this was my rifle and I was looking for tack driving target accuracy I would try 30-1 lead alloy bullets, Swiss 1F powder with little to no compression, enough crimp to get rid of the flared case mouth only, and REM 9 1/2 primers. I would also anneal the case mouths. If fouling was still an issue I'd get a different bullet which held more SPG lube.......nice looking rifle BTW........my .02 opinion for what it's worth. Nothing more satisfying than finally getting ones rifle to shoot.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
227 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.