-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to replace my old Swedish Cardinal 4 spinning reel. Looking for reels with rear mounted drag and push button extra spools. Suggestions?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shimano may still make a rear drag reel. Once upon a time you could get the symetre in front or rear drag.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for Shimano spinning reels. As far as I am concerned they are the best reel for the buck....

I made the switch from the Cardinals many years ago to Diawa then to Shimano and have never been sorry.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know the Cardinal 4's have a cult following but once you use one of the newer reels you'll never go back to the archaic Cardinal 4

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use a cardinal 3 garcia reel on occasion. The new reels are smooth and all but longevity isn't there.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by reelman
I know the Cardinal 4's have a cult following but once you use one of the newer reels you'll never go back to the archaic Cardinal 4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. in spades.

I was a cardinal 4 fan, Big Time.

Picked up a cheaper ( $69) Shimano as a spare for a trip years ago...it made the Cardinal four feel like a coffee grinder!

Ive never looked back since then. I did try a new Cardinal and what was said about longevity was certainly true...they don't hold up.

Had great luck with Shimanos....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is amazing the quality you get with today's spinning reels. I can still remember when I got my first Mitchell 300, talk about a coffee grinder! It had many gears which made it an effort just to turn the handle.

I just looked at the Shimano line up of spinning reels at Bass Pro. The Stella is off the charts for cost. $800!!!!!!

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Stella-FI-Spinning-Reel/product/1404021406362/

I use Pflueger spinning reels and have been very happy with them for the freshwater fishing done around Arizona. The Arbor #7430 (smallest) is my favorite for 4 and 6 lb fireline and light lures.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger_Arbor_Spinning_Reel/descpage-PASR.html

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pflueger does make a awesome reel for a very good price and longevity is there but I don't think they make a rear drag model. The Arbor size 30 is one of my favorite reels.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rear drag reels are getting harder to find because to get the drags into the back of the reel they have to be very small. On a front drag reel the drag washers are in the spool and much larger which makes the drag much smoother. They are also very easy to pull out and cleaned the drag washers.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I can live with a front drag model, but I really like the quick change spools on the old Swedish catdinal reels. I found out that Pflueger has a $20 rebate on any reel over $99, but some of their stuff now comes from China. Anybody have experience with Pflueger Supreme Spinning Reel?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still own some old 300's that don't get a lot of use any more. Mostly for nostalgia's sake. I'm a Schimano guy. Really like their stuff. From the cheapest ones to the ones I can't afford. They just make the reels better these days.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to run rear drag reels, mostly Shimanos, but I switched to front drag and have never looked back. Most new reels don't include a spare spool and for the price you could nearly get a second reel. You may want to consider the Pfleuger reels (President, Supreme, or Supreme XT). I have an Abu Garcia Soron that I really like. If you go AG, go Revo. The Orra series is not good. Sons Diawa Aird came with a 25 and 30 size spool which was nice. Don't think they make the Aird anymore though.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
I think I can live with a front drag model, but I really like the quick change spools on the old Swedish catdinal reels. I found out that Pflueger has a $20 rebate on any reel over $99, but some of their stuff now comes from China. Anybody have experience with Pflueger Supreme Spinning Reel?

I just bought a XT25 and a XT30. Both are smooth as silk and very smooth. Will not have a chance to try them until mid May. Tackle Warehouse had them on sale for $112 last week so after rebate it brought the price down to $92 per reel.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shimano spirex with rear drag..they make front drag as well.
I have ten of them in all sizes.

Shimano makes others as well that are great, sienna, solstace, etc.

You'll thank me....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.