Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Been thinking of putting a walnut stock on my 99e, any reason not to replace the factory birch one?

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A little tedious on the fitting. Other than that and cost, none. Go for it.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Been thinking of putting a walnut stock on my 99e, any reason not to replace the factory birch one?

i can get you one that needs no fitting , my stock guy has receivers to fit to, your option on checkering if you want to go there.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I cant think of a single reason !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

heres a "E" model in 300 savage with a 20" barrel i put a 99G buttstock on ,and a EG forearm on ,extra wood i had . They just bolted on ,no fitting required. Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A restocked E in 308 , I just got it yesterday

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a set of walnut "classic" style stocks from the now defunct Great American Gun Stock Co. that have been waiting in the wings to go on a 99E in .308. As a buddy of mine always says, "what ever blows your skirt up", or go for it!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't think of a better stock to put notches in than the 99E. Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Save the old lumber. Even the E may be a classic in 50 or a 100 years.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99

i can get you one that needs no fitting , my stock guy has receivers to fit to, your option on checkering if you want to go there.

norm

I restocked an 50s F with an EG type stock 3point checkering and an EG forearm with F style checkering with fancy wood, looks great.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
All right, somebody has to say it. My, what big nuts you 99E has!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

If your E is a truck/loaner/disposable extra, it may not be after upgrading the wood.

A .308 E with F buttstock and EG fore end. It also has been JESsified to .358W. Ain't a loaner or disposable extra anymore. Does go in the truck though.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had no choice but to restock my 99E. I bought it as a barreled action from 300jimmy. I had semi-inletted wood made up by Macon Gunstocks with a Monte Carlo buttstock and a finger-groove style fore end. I wanted stocks which would be useful with a scoped rifle. My inspiration was a picture in the book by Doug Murray on page 3-66 of the final version of the 99E. I learned a lot doing this project! If someone will tell me how to post a picture, I'll post some pictures of the finished product. Oh - I scoped it with a 4X Leupold I bought from Mule Deer. I love it when a plan comes together.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pic posting info in sticky missilainious,,,,sp

norm

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I had no choice but to restock my 99E. I bought it as a barreled action from 300jimmy. I had semi-inletted wood made up by Macon Gunstocks with a Monte Carlo buttstock and a finger-groove style fore end. I wanted stocks which would be useful with a scoped rifle. My inspiration was a picture in the book by Doug Murray on page 3-66 of the final version of the 99E. I learned a lot doing this project! If someone will tell me how to post a picture, I'll post some pictures of the finished product. Oh - I scoped it with a 4X Leupold I bought from Mule Deer. I love it when a plan comes together.

Just got off the phone with Macon Gunstocks...will post pics when I get it done. Thought the Monte Carlo butt/Finger Groove Fore sounded unique(ish) and cool so that's what I went with. I'll be sure to keep the old press checkered birch stock until it becomes exorbitantly valuable...then sell it and retire. LOL

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
C
Good Morning Loggah,
Nice job. I have a 99E it is 80% or better and I am goin to try and do the same that you have don on mine. I am going to keep the maple wood for the future,
Again Nice job.
Chuck

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good morning Chuck, welcome to the site. Feel free to start a new thread on your rifle, especially if you have pics, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Loggah
I cant think of a single reason !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

heres a "E" model in 300 savage with a 20" barrel i put a 99G buttstock on ,and a EG forearm on ,extra wood i had . They just bolted on ,no fitting required. Don

If I was a deer and saw you coming, rifle or not, I would put my paws out and say "cuff me and take me to the butcher, I surrender!"

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chuckg
Good Morning Loggah,
Nice job. I have a 99E it is 80% or better and I am goin to try and do the same that you have don on mine. I am going to keep the maple wood for the future,
Again Nice job.
Chuck

Maple stock? Interesting, if so. Probably birch though. If you go to refinish it be forwarned that birch (and even soft maple) is a b*tch to get right stain-wise. Without proper use of wood conditioner first you will undoubtedly end up with a blotchy end result. If the wood is at all presentable I would leave it as-is, or do what Loggah did to his 99E. That is a beauty.

Edit: Oops, I mis-read, and now see you do intend to replace the stock set. Joe talking about coffee prompted me to fire up my coffee pot and now I'm jitterbugging around the shop and jumping to conclusions!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/21/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Can yourstock guy get hold of a 99F (mid 50's) butt stock?

US Army (Retired)
Airborne All The Way!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
All right, somebody has to say it. My, what big nuts you 99E has!

Not a big nut...it's a miniature rifle! Loggah's concealed carry, wink

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.